SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Post Office Redevelopment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192697)

jl224990 Oct 9, 2019 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago (Post 8706013)
With all the news of move-ins, etc. I was reminded of the piece of property West of Canal and North of Harrison. This is the Holiday Inn, the sad little shopping strip on Harrison and the Parking lot.

There was speculation awhile back that at least the Holiday Inn was for sale. Is there any news?

I have bookmarked this 1/18/2018 news https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221...=CHRONOLOGICAL

601W bought the parking lot. But as far as Holiday Inn, I never heard the possible sale.

Back to 2015:

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...he-south-loop/
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...wellness-trend
https://beitlerre.com/development/un...elopment/dual/

there was proposal for new hotels on Wells between Ida B. Wells Drive and Harrison where the Hunter Building is sitting now. The hotel was intended to be a Holiday Inn Express+Staybridge Suites dual brand. But there was no further news after that. Maybe Post Office can bring this back to live? If that happens, the current Holiday Inn may go for sale.

MorganChi Oct 17, 2019 8:31 PM

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...outputType=amp

This is soooo fucking beautiful

bnk Oct 18, 2019 5:28 PM

Post office owners just bought more property close by.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...around-project

October 17, 2019 11:50 AM

Old Post Office developer eyes another big turnaround project

601W is upping its bet on the southwest Loop's renaissance with a deal to buy a sprawling Canal Street office building slated to be empty in a year.

As it prepares to welcome tenants to the Old Post Office after an $800 million-plus overhaul, developer 601W has lined up another big project just a block away.

The New York-based firm is under contract to pay around $67 million for the 575,000-square-foot office building at 801 S. Canal St., according to sources familiar with the deal.

The pending sale at roughly $115 per square foot tees up another bold bet on the southwest Loop for 601W, which set off a renaissance along the South Branch of the Chicago River by turning the mammoth Old Post Office into a modern office building and inking leases there with a slew of prominent tenants.

The sprawling building it is now poised to buy stretches almost a full city block along Canal Street between Polk and Taylor streets. It will soon be empty and in need of a face-lift. Chicago-based Northern Trust has leased the six-story property since the owners, a group now led by real estate investor Paul Gearen, developed it for the bank in 1990. But Northern Trust is moving out in October 2020 after its current lease expires, part of a consolidation of some of its downtown offices into space at 333 S. Wabash Ave.

That gives 601W a little less than a year's worth of rent to tide it over and decide what it wants to do with the building and the surface parking lot along its south end, which could also be developed, according to a marketing flyer for the property.

The building will serve as a bellwether for how hot the southwest Loop can get as tenants file into the Post Office and capital pours into a pocket of downtown that has labored to establish itself as a corporate destination.

bnk Oct 18, 2019 5:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorganChi (Post 8720333)

Wow. That was a pretty glowing review from Blair. Pretty rare for him.

"what has transpired so far at 433 W. Van Buren St. is a near-miracle"

"The entrance serves as a warm-up for the ballgown-beautiful grandeur of the main lobby, a dazzling, soaring space outfitted with restored geometric lanterns, walls of fluted marble and gold mosaic tile, as well as decorative panels that illustrate the march of transportation advances (from pony express to airplane) that sped delivery of the mail. The lobby, which is open to the public, communicates a faith in government that seems lost today. Gensler and the Evanston firm of McGuire, Igleski & Associates handled this portion of the restoration with skill and sensitivity"

"What’s already compelling is the revival of this building, which, as recently as a few years ago, was considered an irredeemable white elephant. Now that the project has reached the milestone of taking in its first tenants, it seems as meaningful to Chicago as the transformation of industrial-era transportation infrastructure like elevated freight lines, docks and railroads into the green spaces of The 606, the downtown riverwalk and Millennium Park. "

Donnie77 Oct 18, 2019 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorganChi (Post 8720333)

was a good read :cheers:

makes me want to go see it for myself

BVictor1 Oct 19, 2019 1:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie77 (Post 8721472)
was a good read :cheers:

makes me want to go see it for myself

The building is open tomorrow as part of OHC but will be closed Sunday.

marothisu Oct 24, 2019 6:28 PM

A relocation from within the city but still good news for this development in and of itself

Staffing firm set to join Old Post Office party

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...t-office-party

Quote:

Tacoma, Wash.-based TrueBlue is closing in on a deal to relocate its Chicago office to nearly 90,000 square feet in the redeveloped behemoth, sources familiar with negotiations said. TrueBlue would move from a pair of buildings near Goose Island to the Old Post Office, which is set to open its doors in a little over a week.

601W has signed or is finalizing leases for 75 percent of the 2.5 million-square-foot building before it opens, according to leasing company Telos Group. That tenant roster includes names like Uber Technologies, Walgreens Boots Alliance and the Chicago Board Options Exchange, among others that have flocked to the burgeoning southwest corner of the Loop.

TrueBlue, which operates a few of its recruitment and staffing brands out of buildings at 860 W. Evergreen Ave. and 1333 N. Kingsbury St. in the North Branch Industrial Corridor, is now poised to join the mix. TrueBlue took control of those spaces when it acquired Chicago-based recruiting and staffing company Seaton for $310 million in 2014. Seaton at the time had 960 employees in the city and more than 100,000 square feet of offices near Goose Island.

Moving to the Post Office would bring it closer to one of its high-profile new partners in Uber

Telos Group President Brian Whiting said earlier this week that companies that have committed to the building will eventually bring more than 10,000 employees there daily, and that some 4,900 jobs will be coming from outside the city of Chicago or projected new hires.

TrueBlue is an example of the latter. Its departure from the North Branch—which is poised to become a more popular office user destination in its own right—leaves Chicago-based developer R2 hunting for new tenants to fill its space. R2

A source familiar with the Evergreen building said R2 has had discussions with multiple tenants about backfilling TrueBlue's offices.

"The building is an irreplaceable unicorn," R2 Managing Principal Matt Garrison said in a statement. "It will lease quickly."

harryc Oct 25, 2019 1:07 AM

318 N Carpenter

...wt....

bhawk66 Oct 25, 2019 2:13 AM

^^ well that was uneventful, Harry ;)

harryc Oct 28, 2019 2:02 AM

Oct 19

SIGSEGV Oct 28, 2019 3:15 AM

^ If your EXIF time is correct... I was there about 30 mins before you.

marothisu Nov 21, 2019 1:25 PM

PepsiCo confirms move to Old Post Office

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ld-post-office

Quote:

Soft drink giant PepsiCo has officially joined the party at the Old Post Office, announcing it has inked a deal to move its Chicago office to the redeveloped behemoth anchoring a rebirth of the southwest Loop.

The company said it signed an 8-year lease for 192,000 square feet in the building at 433 W. Van Buren St., where it will move its 1,300 Chicago employees late next year. Crain's first reported in September that PepsiCo was in advanced talks for the new office.

skysoar Nov 21, 2019 2:30 PM

I believe The Post Office redevelopment has truly been impressive. I know some would disagree, but I would have liked to have seen the exterior redone to look like the exterior color of Willis Tower and other buildings in that area of like color. I think a darker- colored exterior on a building as massive as the Post Office in that location would have really helped to highlight that whole area. Nevertheless it has turned out to be very successful and an exterior redo probably would have been too cost- prohibitive.

RedCorsair87 Nov 21, 2019 3:27 PM

Absolutely incredible how well this building looks and is filling up.

Baronvonellis Nov 21, 2019 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysoar (Post 8754854)
I believe The Post Office redevelopment has truly been impressive. I know some would disagree, but I would have liked to have seen the exterior redone to look like the exterior color of Willis Tower and other buildings in that area of like color. I think a darker- colored exterior on a building as massive as the Post Office in that location would have really helped to highlight that whole area. Nevertheless it has turned out to be very successful and an exterior redo probably would have been too cost- prohibitive.

What do you mean paint black over all the wonderful limestone?? That would be a travesty. Or reclad the whole building in Cor-ten steel? That would be very expensive.

lakeshoredrive Nov 21, 2019 4:26 PM

I really hope Canal street will be redeveloped south of the OPO and find a way to connect to the Clinton subway station

Buckman821 Nov 21, 2019 4:45 PM

Quote:

exterior redo probably would have been too cost- prohibitive.

...and an absurd idea? :koko:

Steely Dan Nov 21, 2019 4:51 PM

Quote:

I know some would disagree

some would disagree?

SOME?

i'd be shocked if you could find even one single other person that would agree with your idea to strip the historic art deco OPO of its glorious limestone and re-clad it with black anodized aluminum panels like the sears tower.

i think we can safely file that one away under "WILDLY unpopular opinions".

this is all exactly as it should be:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/architectur...fice-web-1.jpg
source: https://openhousechicago.org/sites/s...o-post-office/

skysoar Nov 21, 2019 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 8754987)
What do you mean paint black over all the wonderful limestone?? That would be a travesty. Or reclad the whole building in Cor-ten steel? That would be very expensive.

Of course you are right, I was talking about the aesthetic effects. I came out of Union Station recently and looking south and seeing Willis Tower and several other black-clad buildings nearby and it was very imposing. I am just saying a black-clad Old Post Office exterior redo would have been a great continuous of those impressive buildings.

Kumdogmillionaire Nov 21, 2019 6:57 PM

Quote:

Lol wtf?

ardecila Nov 21, 2019 7:04 PM

Well, if any of the older plans had ever come to fruition, that called for partial demolition of the building, then I think some creative facade ideas would have been called for to delineate old vs new.

But fortunately, the needs of office tenants have evolved over the last 10-15 years, and now ENORMOUS floorplates are both very desirable and very rare (good luck building anything this big from scratch today). Once asshat Bill Davies kicked the bucket, the stage was set for 601W to do a pretty straightforward gut renovation without changing the footprint or massing of the building.

Give credit to Rahm too, he really went out of his way to get this project off the ground, from threatening eminent domain on Bill Davies to personally recruiting 601W to do the renovation after seeing what they did on Starrett-Lehigh in NYC - even though OPO is 7x larger than Starrett-Lehigh. This project should definitely be counted as one of his legacies to the city.

trvlr70 Nov 21, 2019 7:18 PM

Does anyone have a clue when the outside riverfront hardscaping and landscaping is supposed to commence? That's the part of the renovation that I'm most excited to see completed.

simon07 Nov 21, 2019 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trvlr70 (Post 8755282)
Does anyone have a clue when the outside riverfront hardscaping and landscaping is supposed to commence? That's the part of the renovation that I'm most excited to see completed.

I'm most interested in what will happen to the Sugar annex. Seems like such a waste to demolish what could be a very nice loft office space building.

kolchak Nov 21, 2019 7:38 PM

Pepsi is moving in

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...clq-story.html

marothisu Nov 21, 2019 7:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolchak (Post 8755302)

Posted this morning on the previous page

Barrelfish Nov 21, 2019 8:37 PM

Great to see this filling up, but I do wish that more of it was truly new to the city activity as opposed to relocations like Pepsi. There must be a lot of less nice office space emptying out.

tjp Nov 21, 2019 8:56 PM

Quote:

https://media.giphy.com/media/ITwncOFEqwisg/200.gif

skysoar Nov 21, 2019 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 8755249)
Lol wtf?

Lol..no need to become hysterical. Its just a persons opinion about what they like. First, the Old Post Office redevelopment is fantastic, it is marvelous, it is the greatest thing to ever happen in Downtown Chicago. Having said that it is not sacrilegious for someone who loves Modern architecture over Art-Deco to visualize what they would have liked to have seen. Finally, if I am correct I believe the rough draft of four new towers of the previous proposal for the redevelopment of the OPO were black-clad supertalls. Black cladded bldgs seem to be popular in that area, that is all I am saying.

Skyguy_7 Nov 22, 2019 3:54 AM

Hate to pile on skysoar, but the mere idea of painting limestone is suspension-worthy.

skysoar Nov 22, 2019 5:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8755829)
Hate to pile on skysoar, but the mere idea of painting limestone is suspension-worthy.

Lol...my last comment on this topic is I never mentioned black paint, but cladding. Even so I get your drift. I may have to suspend myself on my Post Office Development proposal. Even my wife, after she got home from work I mentioned my thought on the project to her, she looked at me like I was crazy and let me know, no chance of having any luck tonight. Oh well, great kudos to the development team that have brought great success to the Old Post Office redevelopment project.

Kenmore Nov 22, 2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

tough but fair

Jim in Chicago Nov 22, 2019 3:35 PM

Quote:

The old PO is a great example of a classic US government limestone building that deserves to be restored and respected for what it was, and is.

On that note, does anyone know if there is still a thorough exterior cleaning in the works, it does still look a little grody.

Steely Dan Nov 22, 2019 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysoar (Post 8755464)
Lol..no need to become hysterical.

no one is getting hysterical, you simply expressed a really strange and outlandish opinion, and people are strongly pushing back against it.

you had to have expected that.

you proposed re-cladding a spectacular limestone art deco edifice that is officially designated as a city of chicago historic landmark as well as being listed on the national register of historic places.

no one is going to agree with an opinion like that.

you might as well have proposed turning grant park into a giant oil refinery.

UPChicago Nov 22, 2019 4:15 PM

Quote:

I'm reporting his post as hate speech :lynchmob:

rlw777 Nov 22, 2019 5:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolchak (Post 8755302)

Pepsi moving in puts the building at about 85% leased. That's no small feat for a 2.5 million sq ft building.

rgarri4 Nov 22, 2019 6:13 PM

Lets not forget what we could of got.

https://images2.imgbox.com/a2/19/3eN8ba22_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/0d/81/V7w1UUrG_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/1a/05/kXRoQbBL_o.jpg

Baronvonellis Nov 22, 2019 7:29 PM

Maybe someday, the Post Office will sell the new post office building next door and then someone will turn that into offices too. Then there would be the Old old Post Office and the Old Post Office. Those towers next to the Post Office could still be built!

UPChicago Nov 27, 2019 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 8756427)
Maybe someday, the Post Office will sell the new post office building next door and then someone will turn that into offices too. Then there would be the Old old Post Office and the Old Post Office. Those towers next to the Post Office could still be built!

You mean like someone could raze it and build office towers there?

jjk113 Nov 27, 2019 4:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8756122)
no one is getting hysterical, you simply expressed a really strange and outlandish opinion, and people are strongly pushing back against it.

you had to have expected that.

you proposed re-cladding a spectacular limestone art deco edifice that is officially designated as a city of chicago historic landmark as well as being listed on the national register of historic places.

no one is going to agree with an opinion like that.

you might as well have proposed turning grant park into a giant oil refinery.

........how about a coal mine ? :D:D:D

RedCorsair87 Nov 27, 2019 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 8756427)

Nice height, but we could do better design wise.

I imagine those train tracks will eventually get capped and built upon. In two or three decades.

Skyguy_7 Dec 16, 2019 7:01 PM

I'm hearing rumblings of one of the food suppliers to Home Chef taking a large amount of space in this building for "manufacturing" ie cooking of Home Chef meals. Big if true!

Jim in Chicago Dec 16, 2019 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8777411)
I'm hearing rumblings of one of the food suppliers to Home Chef taking a large amount of space in this building for "manufacturing" ie cooking of Home Chef meals. Big if true!

Interesting. But, just for the record, there will be no "cooking". The kits come to you with the raw ingredients. There is certainly assembly and packaging involved, but no cooking as such.

Skyguy_7 Dec 17, 2019 6:05 AM

^Home Chef is pre-cooked. Other options like Hello Fresh and Blue Apron are cooked entirely at home. Another tell tale is the largest grease duct I’ve ever heard of, 12’x12’, was recently installed for “future” use.

SteelMonkey Dec 17, 2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8778070)
^Home Chef is pre-cooked. Other options like Hello Fresh and Blue Apron are cooked entirely at home. Another tell tale is the largest grease duct I’ve ever heard of, 12’x12’, was recently installed for “future” use.

Home Chefs meal kit delivery is raw ingredients. Only their new "Heat and Eat" retail option is pre-cooked.

jjk113 Dec 17, 2019 5:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelMonkey (Post 8778144)
Home Chefs meal kit delivery is raw ingredients. Only their new "Heat and Eat" retail option is pre-cooked.

I'm getting hungry ! :D:D:D:D

Baronvonellis Dec 17, 2019 5:20 PM

Does anyone know when the food hall at the post office is going to open? I work near there and would like to eat there at lunch time.

gebs Dec 17, 2019 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 8778389)
Does anyone know when the food hall at the post office is going to open? I work near there and would like to eat there at lunch time.

That makes two of us. There's also construction happening on the west side of Union Station, where another food hall will go.

Union Station to build new food hall in long-vacant space

jonesrmj Dec 27, 2019 6:10 PM

Has Phase 1 of this project started? I've herd a lot about this project and I don't know if it's cancelled, envisioned, or has started yet.

LouisVanDerWright Dec 27, 2019 6:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesrmj (Post 8785491)
Has Phase 1 of this project started? I've herd a lot about this project and I don't know if it's cancelled, envisioned, or has started yet.

Lol where have you been? They pretty much leased the entire building and are already delivering space. Pretty incredible pace for a project of this size...

jonesrmj Dec 27, 2019 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8785498)
Lol where have you been? They pretty much leased the entire building and are already delivering space. Pretty incredible pace for a project of this size...

I know, I'm sorry for asking a dumb question. I just wasn't sure what had been going on because I've seen so many sources saying different things. Are they still doing the plans with the massive skyscrapers or not?