SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHCAGO | Thompson Center redevelopment | Jahn's MASTERPIECE will be saved!!!!!!!!!!! (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249335)

ardecila Jul 29, 2022 10:45 PM

Yes, Google bought Chelsea Market and left the shopping/food levels mostly untouched. It's not a food hall in the modern sense, it's sort of a hybrid of a 2010s/2020s food hall and a 1990s festival marketplace. The hallways are lined with industrial relics and artifacts displayed in a quirky way, etc. Reminds me of walking down Navy Pier's interior corridor, but with more gourmet food. Or North Pier, if anyone remembers that blast from the past.

The Thompson Center will be stripped down to its skeleton, though, so all businesses will likely be evicted and 95% of the square footage will be reprogrammed.

bhawk66 Jul 30, 2022 7:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 9689604)
Yes, Google bought Chelsea Market and left the shopping/food levels mostly untouched. It's not a food hall in the modern sense, it's sort of a hybrid of a 2010s/2020s food hall and a 1990s festival marketplace. The hallways are lined with industrial relics and artifacts displayed in a quirky way, etc. Reminds me of walking down Navy Pier's interior corridor, but with more gourmet food. Or North Pier, if anyone remembers that blast from the past.

The Thompson Center will be stripped down to its skeleton, though, so all businesses will likely be evicted and 95% of the square footage will be reprogrammed.


The other 5% being bathrooms I presume, lol

marothisu Jul 30, 2022 8:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 9689604)
Yes, Google bought Chelsea Market and left the shopping/food levels mostly untouched. It's not a food hall in the modern sense, it's sort of a hybrid of a 2010s/2020s food hall and a 1990s festival marketplace. The hallways are lined with industrial relics and artifacts displayed in a quirky way, etc. Reminds me of walking down Navy Pier's interior corridor, but with more gourmet food. Or North Pier, if anyone remembers that blast from the past.

The Thompson Center will be stripped down to its skeleton, though, so all businesses will likely be evicted and 95% of the square footage will be reprogrammed.

Chelsea Market is cool, but super annoying because of how many people (a lot of tourists) it's crawling with. It has a few cool shops but most of it is pretty regular stuff. Tourists there amp up everything so it's pretty hilarious.

With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they put some sort of food hall in the basement there especially considering there is the train station accessible from there. I'm sure they'll kick out most of who's already there and bring in some trendier options. There's little doubt in my mind that this will happen.

FightOn! Jul 31, 2022 4:36 PM

Fantastic news! We just moved from NYC to the Loop late last year and can see the potential this area can become. After March, the area has been booming with people and every weekend has become busier and busier.

This news just made us feel better about buying a condo down here as we see it undervalued compared to major cities we've lived in.

Maybe even apply to Google in the future... :)

marothisu Jul 31, 2022 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FightOn! (Post 9690517)
Fantastic news! We just moved from NYC to the Loop late last year and can see the potential this area can become. After March, the area has been booming with people and every weekend has become busier and busier.

This news just made us feel better about buying a condo down here as we see it undervalued compared to major cities we've lived in.

Maybe even apply to Google in the future... :)

Hey fellow NYC transplant (but I used to live in Chicago for many years previous).

Activity downtown definitely picked up after March and especially after April. It's weird when people call it a ghost town now - I'm pretty sure they don't come downtown and are just guessing and applying what they knew what it was like 6+ months ago instead.

Chicago is always undervalued. It makes no sense except for 50-75% false crime stereotypes and the weather stereotypes. The Loop before the pandemic definitely had less retail vacancy and even more people. But there's 600K+ jobs technically in the area and there's still a lot of people coming into their offices now even if it's not a super high percentage.

What's always bothered me about the area though is the residential component. They've definitely added more in the eastern portion vs. when I originally moved to Chicago but they could do so much more. It does have the potential to be like some of the more populated parts of Midtown IMO. Not that Midtown is my favorite part of NYC (far from it) but there's still some sections with some nice after office hours activity and some good local restaurants.

Pioneer Aug 1, 2022 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 9690708)
Hey fellow NYC transplant (but I used to live in Chicago for many years previous).

Activity downtown definitely picked up after March and especially after April. It's weird when people call it a ghost town now - I'm pretty sure they don't come downtown and are just guessing and applying what they knew what it was like 6+ months ago instead.

Chicago is always undervalued. It makes no sense except for 50-75% false crime stereotypes and the weather stereotypes. The Loop before the pandemic definitely had less retail vacancy and even more people. But there's 600K+ jobs technically in the area and there's still a lot of people coming into their offices now even if it's not a super high percentage.

What's always bothered me about the area though is the residential component. They've definitely added more in the eastern portion vs. when I originally moved to Chicago but they could do so much more. It does have the potential to be like some of the more populated parts of Midtown IMO. Not that Midtown is my favorite part of NYC (far from it) but there's still some sections with some nice after office hours activity and some good local restaurants.

Off topic, but I started commuting back to work (in Illinois Center) 2 days a week, starting in May. It's amazing how much more vibrant and bustling the Loop and surrounding areas have become over the last 2-3 months. Illinois Center, of all places, had a buzz last week. I'm sure that was partly due to Lolla but I suspect not too much (how many attendees ventured north to the exciting and vibrant Illinois Center?).

Chisouthside Aug 1, 2022 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer (Post 9691127)
Off topic, but I started commuting back to work (in Illinois Center) 2 days a week, starting in May. It's amazing how much more vibrant and bustling the Loop and surrounding areas have become over the last 2-3 months. Illinois Center, of all places, had a buzz last week. I'm sure that was partly due to Lolla but I suspect not too much (how many attendees ventured north to the exciting and vibrant Illinois Center?).

Alot of the tourists stay in the cluster of hotels north of randolph east of Michigan so it seems like it's always popping around here. I came back to the office before most people and even a year ago there were clusters of tourists all around lakeshore east.

r18tdi Aug 1, 2022 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galleyfox (Post 9687970)

Yup, confirmed:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/7/...ng-sold-google

marothisu Aug 1, 2022 7:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisouthside (Post 9691145)
Alot of the tourists stay in the cluster of hotels north of randolph east of Michigan so it seems like it's always popping around here. I came back to the office before most people and even a year ago there were clusters of tourists all around lakeshore east.

I work in the central loop, and have since last October. The amount of people who are working there and clearly not tourists is way up since March or early April. My trains have been packed or what I consider "pretty damn full" 75% of the trips to and from work since then too. Since I ride the Brown Line as well, very few people are tourists and most people are very obviously office workers. When I walk to the train after work east towards Millennium Park, the tourists are more obvious but in the central loop there's a lot of office workers now. You'd see that if you hung out there a lot. And as someone who has been coming into the office (minus 2 months) since October for 3 days a week - it's like someone flipped a switch every week since early March.

Tom In Chicago Aug 2, 2022 2:20 PM

^Yup. . . I live in the LSE area and have been working at our datacenter in the no-man's land south and west of the Loop, taking my electric scooter to and from work. . . I've noticed a huge uptick in both tourist (expected) and worker traffic in the Loop proper over the last few months. . .

. . .

rivernorthlurker Aug 2, 2022 4:32 PM

Ditto for me. Have been downtown around 5-6 pm a few times and was seeing heavy traffic for the first time in a long time (as well people). But actual rush hour traffic was something I haven't seen in a long time, eg in the Wacker/Orleans/Franklin area.

Zapatan Aug 13, 2022 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9688460)
Yeah, it is a ways off, but impact on future property value, planning, and perception of the Loop from others in the market will be immediate.

Yea, here’s to hoping it spurs some more ambitious skyscrapers

Randomguy34 Sep 21, 2022 9:33 PM

Some interesting stuff from today's Crain's real estate forum:

Quote:

At a @CrainsChicago real estate forum where Mike Reschke from Prime Group confirms that over last several years #Chicago has been top destination for talent in entire @Google North America network because young professionals value the quality of life and amenities we offer 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
https://twitter.com/chicagosamir/sta...84154587598851

Quote:

Reschke says Chicago most popular U.S. big-city destination among 25-45-year-old Google employees.
https://twitter.com/agallun/status/1572583941194002438

Quote:

Prime Group will start demo of Thompson Center in early March, Reschke says. What should the city do to turn around LaSalle Street? “You don’t want to repaint the Mona Lisa,” he says. “Preservation is the key.”
https://twitter.com/agallun/status/1572586891610030080

dropdeaded209 Sep 22, 2022 6:09 AM

Interviews and principal filming for Starship Chicago 2 are now complete, the film will be ready by the end of the year.

I can tell you we've got footage from inside the building like nobody has ever seen before.

r18tdi Sep 22, 2022 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 (Post 9738008)
Interviews and principal filming for Starship Chicago 2 are now complete, the film will be ready by the end of the year.

I can tell you we've got footage from inside the building like nobody has ever seen before.

Sweet, can't wait! Your previous films linked in your sig have been a pleasure to watch.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.