SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

exit2lef Aug 6, 2015 9:09 PM

I'm wondering what's going on with the restaurant Brick. The space is shaded to indicate availability, but there's also an arrow pointing to text that says "Do not disturb tenant." I guess that means that Brick is not going to renew its lease and will eventually close? The Big Fat Greek restaurant space is also showing as available, even though I ate there last week. The Big Fat chain has been contracting in recent years, so it wouldn't surprise me if the AZ Center location was the next to close. As for AMC, that theater has a huge set of ticket windows up front that are no longer in use. Having them dark suggests the cinema is out of business, so I hope that will be addressed with whatever transformation occurs.

biggus diggus Aug 6, 2015 11:14 PM

There seems to be very little life around that complex in general, hopefully they are able to flip it around at some point.

"do not disturb tenant" is code for "don't go looking around at the space and asking them questions about keeping their TIs intact". Believe it or not, lots of people invade spaces like that.

exit2lef Aug 7, 2015 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7120820)
There seems to be very little life around that complex in general, hopefully they are able to flip it around at some point.

"do not disturb tenant" is code for "don't go looking around at the space and asking them questions about keeping their TIs intact". Believe it or not, lots of people invade spaces like that.

With all that's going on already at the biomedical campus across 5th Street and the nearby ASU Law School opening soon, there should be plenty of foot traffic to sustain a good mix of tenants. A lot of what's there now, however, seems designed to address more of a feast-or-famine population of convention attendees.

I made a point of walking through the AZ Center on my way to catch the train home yesterday. Both Brick and My Big Fat Greek were open, although mostly empty. I guess the availability of their space on the map is an indication that either the restaurants or the complex have declared an intention not to renew leases.

biggus diggus Aug 7, 2015 2:50 PM

I don't want to talk poorly about the management there, but they are set in their old ways of appealing to tourist based retailers and operating the mall as a destination for them, like you mentioned. They have, though, increased rents along the way so those businesses that used to just survive are now struggling to make ends meet. Tourists also stopped spending so freely on asinine impulse purchases when the economy tanked, and we are still seeing the effects from that. Perhaps gone are the days of tourist based knick knack shops, the same thing is going on in Old Town Scottsdale, though they are at least surviving.

combusean Aug 7, 2015 9:16 PM

It's obnoxious to watch the owners put lipstick on a pig by trying to create a large pad out of an enclosed structure, especially one so asinine as to be without loading or back of house AND be off two streets that have no parking or even a loading zone. Seriously--you can't even park for two seconds in front to load the couch you just bought at the Urban Target that will never be there. As if that weren't stupid enough, I would be *surprised* if it were ever leased with downtown's crummy demographics.

If everything in Arizona Center was razed save for the towers and maybe the garage, nothing of value would be lost. Its retail vacancies are cancerous and the retail it has draws people far off the streets. With the shopping mall standing, downtown is left with this worthless two story pile of crap on three or four city blocks that reek of noxious disinvestment and stagnation.

I wish its owners would have realized it's been a complete failure over 25 years. I'd almost rather have a mostly empty lot with a for-sale sign as that would be free of its liabilities and offer a competent developer a blank slate to create something new.

biggus diggus Aug 7, 2015 9:59 PM

not to nitpick but it looks like the new vacant space will back up to the driveway into what is currently a parking lot, so perhaps there is room for delivery trucks or loading... also there's a lot of wasted setback on the 3rd street side which makes me believe the city could allow a pullout to be built there.

PHXFlyer11 Aug 7, 2015 11:35 PM

Edison Article

In this Edison article it cites the "upcoming redevelopment of Park Central Mall."

http://www.multihousingnews.com/news...campaign=Daily

I really hope it's more than just speculation.

biggus diggus Aug 7, 2015 11:52 PM

Wisely the redevelopment of park central wasn't mentioned by someone from Edison because that would be a huge blunder to promise such a thing, but this part isn't much better:

“Edison Midtown sits at the center of the Midtown Arts District, home to numerous art galleries, theatrical and arts venues, and is walking or biking distance from some of the city’s most buzzed-about restaurants, coffee shops and nightlife hangouts.”

I NEVER use walking or biking in my ads, it's too likely that a handicapped person could read that as this property isn't for them and feel discriminated against. You don't want a fair housing complaint, even if you are exonerated you've wasted lots of time and money.

combusean Aug 8, 2015 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7121980)
not to nitpick but it looks like the new vacant space will back up to the driveway into what is currently a parking lot, so perhaps there is room for delivery trucks or loading... also there's a lot of wasted setback on the 3rd street side which makes me believe the city could allow a pullout to be built there.

You're right, actually, on both counts--I misread the site plan.

I zoomed into it a bit more and see space for a loading dock, but they'd definitely have to reconfigure much of the parking lot to allow it. They're also building another surface lot off 3rd st in front of the pad.

... which actually makes Arizona Center worse for the urban fabric than it is already by building new curb cuts and new blacktop.

So they're polishing the turd that is Arizona Center with more poop. Great.

sky51 Aug 8, 2015 12:37 AM

Pictures of new Foundation for Blind Children

Three pictures of the new Foundation for Blind Children at 12th Street and Northern. It is so cool to see Phoenix build interesting architecture. I love the portal sized windows on the southern facade and the copper roofing.

https://imageshack.com/i/eyE4s54Ej

https://imageshack.com/i/ex251OVrj

https://imageshack.com/i/paUQ1bOKj

nickw252 Aug 8, 2015 1:59 PM

Preservationists Present Plans To Restore Phoenix WPA Building At Fairgrounds

Quote:

Preservationists are still trying to save the Works Progress Administration building on the Arizona State Fairgrounds. Fair officials gave advocates a year to come up with the money to restore the 1938 structure.

That deadline passed last weekend, but a group of preservationists claim they have raised some money for repairs and suggest renting out the space.

Jim McPherson is heading up the effort to save the New Deal-era building. According to him, the group has commitments totaling close to $80,000 for repairs and renovations. A letter of intent from the Arizona State Historic Preservation Office suggests the department would consider using the rehabilitated building for office space.

“You’ve got the letter from the State Historic Preservation Office saying that they want to do it,” he said. “That’s the key because when you have staff there some of their time can be devoted to the management of the retail space.”

The other part of the proposed plan is to have a gift shop, exhibit and concession space. Fair officials and preservationists disagree on the scope of the necessary renovations. Spokeswoman Kristi Walsh said the plans aren’t firm enough.

“We had hoped to hear greater levels of details regarding specific commitments, terms of agreements and obligations from the financial end, the renovation side and also the future costs," said Walsh.

She said the vacant building is lost revenue for the fair because it can’t rent out or use the space.

There are no plans to demolish the structure right now.
http://kjzz.org/content/175508/prese...ng-fairgrounds

Jjs5056 Aug 9, 2015 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 7120304)
Jjs5056 - that is cool news on the 22,000 square feet. Street access for whatever goes in there would be great for the area. Open that puppy up some!!!! Target would be perfect there too, Lots of residents to shop close by.

You mentioned going above the parking garage. Is it built for that? Pipe dream for sure but that would be a great addition!

I should've clarified- I was suggesting that apartments be built on the parking *lot* north of the garage and on the corner of Fillmore/4th St. Obviously, if a dream investor bought the place, it would be ideal for the garage to go, as well, since each office tower has its own underground garage, so a structure of that size to support a small 3-story retail/office building seems a bit disproportionate.

Sean- I didn't notice the loading dock off 3rd Street which does suck. While I completely agree that starting from scratch would be ideal, I think turning this corner into a street-fronting business is a little more than just lipstick. Aside from the office conversions of the upper floors, this is the first major structural change any of several owners have made to what is universally considered to be a horrific urban design. With the square footage being offered, I have to imagine the goal is a national retailer, unrealistic as it might be. But, at worst, it will be subdivided and while turnover has been horrible, it does seem like the Center always ends up filling the space back up.

Either way, what is currently two solid brown walls running the length of a full city block with nothing but exit doors, is going to be redesigned with actual storefront entrances and windows... that alone is a huge improvement. Given that there are 3 parts of the property that have been waiting to be developed since 1990 suggests to me that nobody thinks they can build a profitable project if they were to raze the entire retail portion. And if we're stuck with what's there, then I'm not going to complain about the most prominent corner getting this kind of makeover.

With the local scene doing so well throughout downtown, I actually think it would be good for the AZ Center to fulfill what it was intended for: a mall with national retailers. They are the only tenants who can fill substantial space at the rents AZ Center charges, and they offer residents convenience, reliability, etc. there is a huge void of actual stores downtown- no place for home furnishings, hardware, groceries, professional clothing or clothing in general... if 3rd Street filled with national brands that serve a missing need for downtown, large window displays on the exterior could really help.

Of course it's all about bandaids, but where Phoenix doesn't have vacant land, it has buildings that have been terribly designed, and without the demand for more intensive, mixed use redevelopment of those buildings, then I would be pretty satisfied with applying more 'bandaids' to try and improve them.

Jjs5056 Aug 9, 2015 10:32 AM

I was looking at some articles, etc. about the worst tenant of downtown - Maricopa County - and saw an article about the potential for The Bicycle Cellar to move into the corner of Van Buren and Central in the Security Building. But, it never made it through County approvals.

As is the case with the dozens of master plans/visions/blueprints/guides that are developed what seems like every year, it's sad that what is now two large walls of blacked out windows was supposed to be this:
http://www.maricopa.gov/imagine/Floor%20Plan.pdf

Back in the part of town where local businesses are getting things right, I was glad to see 902 N 5th St and 922 N 6th St are up for lease. They've looked pretty blighted for quite a while, and if they get cleaned up and filled with something in line with all of the other cool concepts sprouting nearby, it will really help both the Garfield and Roosevelt intersections. Now, if only that duplex behind Bliss got some TLC... I had no idea it was supposed to become a taqueria and flamenco dance club a few years back:
http://downtownphoenixjournal.com/20...ntown-phoenix/

exit2lef Aug 9, 2015 2:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 7123098)
While I completely agree that starting from scratch would be ideal, I think turning this corner into a street-fronting business is a little more than just lipstick. Aside from the office conversions of the upper floors, this is the first major structural change any of several owners have made to what is universally considered to be a horrific urban design. With the square footage being offered, I have to imagine the goal is a national retailer, unrealistic as it might be. But, at worst, it will be subdivided and while turnover has been horrible, it does seem like the Center always ends up filling the space back up.

An urban Target may be an unrealistic dream, but a Walgreens might make sense there. For those who arrive by car, Walgreens purchases are small enough to carry to a car parked in the Arizona Center garage. In addition, a drug store would be a good match for the nearby ASU Nursing School, which operates a clinic across the street, and the new cancer center. Right now, the CVS at CityScape is too far to walk to -- especially for people who may be in a weakened state due to an illness or the side effects of treatment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 7123100)
I was looking at some articles, etc. about the worst tenant of downtown - Maricopa County - and saw an article about the potential for The Bicycle Cellar to move into the corner of Van Buren and Central in the Security Building. But, it never made it through County approvals.

The county not only neglects the ground floor of this historic building, but is also one of the few employers in the downtown core that gives its employees free parking. I often see dedicated shuttle buses that run between the Security Building and far-flung garages and lots down by the jail. Ideally, the county would give employees who work in the Security Building a choice between taking Valley Metro or paying for parking, perhaps with negotiated discounts, in the numerous garages within walking distance. The county, which is also responsible for our regional air quality, should be setting an example for other employers.

Jjs5056 Aug 9, 2015 4:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7123151)
An urban Target may be an unrealistic dream, but a Walgreens might make sense there. For those who arrive by car, Walgreens purchases are small enough to carry to a car parked in the Arizona Center garage. In addition, a drug store would be a good match for the nearby ASU Nursing School, which operates a clinic across the street, and the new cancer center. Right now, the CVS at CityScape is too far to walk to -- especially for people who may be in a weakened state due to an illness or the side effects of treatment.

The county not only neglects the ground floor of this historic building, but is also one of the few employers in the downtown core that gives its employees free parking. I often see dedicated shuttle buses that run between the Security Building and far-flung garages and lots down by the jail. Ideally, the county would give employees who work in the Security Building a choice between taking Valley Metro or paying for parking, perhaps with negotiated discounts, in the numerous garages within walking distance. The county, which is also responsible for our regional air quality, should be setting an example for other employers.

Walgreens would be great, too, but I'm holding out hope that a pharmacy will make its way onto one of the PBC buildings along 4th Street to make some type of connection to the new residential buildings they'll be facing. Lifestyle/health retail (Pharmacy, GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, Juicebar, some sort of trendy exercise class place, etc.) would be a good buffer and appropriate fit with the PBC.

Targets also have pharmacies within them, while offering so many other categories of items in short supply downtown. The cool thing about the Express concept is that if a Walgreens were to, for example, sign a lease in the new PBC garage down the block, they would simply remove the pharmacy and replace it with something else that fits the neighborhood. The customization of each store is really interesting to me, and is exactly what downtown needs. It's not livable at the moment; it's a great destination, but trendy food doesn't help encourage an urban lifestyle. In one 20,000 square foot space, downtown could get almost all of the basics covered. I know, it's not happening. But, I wish these were the things that people with influence (Mackay and co.) were focusing on instead of things like parking and land-banking superblocks.

That's hardly surprising about the County's parking policy. I am sure they want that behemoth garage on Jackson looking full given the controversy surrounding its construction. When I hear people like Mackay (who admitted she had never been to the Warehouse District until last month...) say that the Warehouse District is 'the next cool place,' it honestly makes me feel like there isn't a single person with authority who has a clue. Where was the City 10 years ago when the County announced their plans for the massive garage attached to the Santa Fe Depot which had been planned as a farmers market? Or, when the County was adamant in destroying the Borden Dairy property for a massive new jail, that even Arpaio said made more sense out in Durango? That jail now looms over the gorgeous Chambers Warehouse, which had been slated to be turned into lofts and retail by a Scottsdale developer until the County announced these plans. Jackson should have been the coolest part of downtown; but by letting the County invade and implementing stupid policies like the Sunburst plan, the City never gave it a shot. Roosevelt Row worked as a backup, but the shacks that survived for repurposing there don't compare to the Santa Fe Depot, Chambers Warehouse (x2), etc.

So, sorry Mackay, but that ship has sailed. Nobody is going to be invested in properties in spitting distance of two jails and the Sheriff's fortress. Though, with the way things are going, her idea of "the next cool place" might be cheap land and cheap buildings for big business to come and take over, supported by miles of land that she probably has dreams about clearing for surface parking to support these new economic engines (aka Midtown relocations).

Jjs5056 Aug 9, 2015 4:24 PM

Also, I just saw that New York and Company is also out of the AZ Center. This amount of turnover is pretty unusual and with the new structural changes to the AMC, I wonder if the owner is proactively ending these leases in order to do even more work (such as reorientation, or consolidating smaller spaces into larger footprints), or - just humor me - to clear it out for demo? Either way, changes have to be coming. And, I think it would be wise to 1) figure out what purpose/market they want the retail portion to serve, and 2) determine whether it could be worth it to clear out everything but the towers. I had thought previously wanted the gardens to stay, but no- they were built because the original developer had to fabricate a focal point like the ones he had naturally in Boston and San Diego. The streets of downtown are now our focal point, and it's time to break away from the obsession of drawing energy into the center of a block.

And, as far as its purpose in the market, I disagree that they are still going for the tourist/kitsch market. There seemed to only be one relic left (Flag World). The rest seem to just be generic restaurants to appeal to conventioneers and students both. 2 years ago, they tried to reposition it as an upscale hub of fine art... a few galleries, high-end jewelry stores, etc. opened. That obviously didn't last. I really think that trying to attract national retailers would be the best option. I do think downtown is ready to support a small shopping center. Target, H&M, and Lululemon with some local chef-produced concepts for both lunch and late night dining.

I feel like creating an experience that is attractive to conventioneers is better suited for Adams and Monroe that naturally feed off the exit/entrance on 2nd Street, and have the bones for tons of packed-in retail. But, as with almost 50% of downtown, there are plenty of 'bandaids' needed along those blocks. It's too bad hotels don't burn like they did so frequently back when they were gorgeous; Without adding significant square footage to the perimeter and refinishing the entire facade, the Hyatt isn't salvageable.

exit2lef Aug 9, 2015 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 7123217)
Targets also have pharmacies within them, while offering so many other categories of items in short supply downtown. The cool thing about the Express concept is that if a Walgreens were to, for example, sign a lease in the new PBC garage down the block, they would simply remove the pharmacy and replace it with something else that fits the neighborhood.

Target just announced a plan to replace its own pharmacies with CVS pharmacies within Target stores.

https://corporate.target.com/article...cvs-health-faq

I wonder if an Arizona Center location might then be viewed as too close to the existing CVS at CityScape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 7123227)
And, as far as its purpose in the market, I disagree that they are still going for the tourist/kitsch market. There seemed to only be one relic left (Flag World). The rest seem to just be generic restaurants to appeal to conventioneers and students both.

Generic is the key word. Every restaurant in the Arizona Center seems to offer a watered down version of whatever type of cuisine it purports to serve. Canyon Cafe, one of the few survivors of the original 1990 tenant line-up, is my favorite place to eat at the Arizona Center, but even it serves Southwestern-lite food. It it were located even half a mile away, there would likely be more risk taking in terms of spice levels and less familiar ingredients. As the line-up of restaurants in Tempe demonstrates, an academic market can support some pretty adventurous food. It's disappointing that there's so little of that in the Arizona Center right now.

dtnphx Aug 10, 2015 5:50 PM

Couldn't find another thread where this might be more appropriate, but perhaps a Hance Park thread at some point should the redesign ever take shape.

City of Phoenix plans to erect climbing wall at downtown park
http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/29...-downtown-park

ASUSunDevil Aug 12, 2015 12:28 AM

Apartments would rent like hot cakes in this building. Hopefully they get it figured out.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ld-psycho.html

PHXFlyer11 Aug 12, 2015 1:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 7126048)
Apartments would rent like hot cakes in this building. Hopefully they get it figured out.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ld-psycho.html

I agree. What a loser company. That property seems like a no lose for a legit developer. I think condos would do even better than rentals.