SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

iheartthed Mar 18, 2020 8:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8866385)
so what are people's thoughts on carry-out from restaurants?

my wife mentioned possibly ordering dinner tonight from the corner bar and grill at the end of our block (they're open for carry-out/delivery only).

on the one hand, i want to help and support them.

on the other hand, i'm scared.

An article I read earlier today suggested sticking to places that you already know: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coron...b6eab7793cb07b

sopas ej Mar 18, 2020 8:26 PM

Quote:

my wife mentioned possibly ordering dinner tonight from the corner bar and grill at the end of our block (they're open for carry-out/delivery only).

We did carry-out yesterday... we got too lazy to cook.

It was kind of bizarre, because the restaurant that we picked up from is usually very busy and crowded. I called our order in, then a half hour later, picked it up myself. All the chairs were up on the tables, and there was only 1 customer ahead of me paying for his order. I picked up our order, paid, and promptly left.

sopas ej Mar 18, 2020 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 8866392)
I've begun an intimate relationship with DoorDash. I'm going to support all the local restaurants I can right now because God knows they'll need it.

I've never used a 3rd party food delivery service; I don't know why I'm so leery of them. I'd rather pick up the food myself.

Steely Dan Mar 18, 2020 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8866400)
An article I read earlier today suggested sticking to places that you already know: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coron...b6eab7793cb07b

thanks for the article link.

it was informative and helpful.

hauntedheadnc Mar 18, 2020 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8866404)
I've never used a 3rd party food delivery service; I don't know why I'm so leery of them. I'd rather pick up the food myself.

I've used Waitr before, but they aren't around here anymore, so I moved on... It's pretty convenient. You do everything online and you can even request, basically, that they set the food down on the mat, ring the bell, and sprint away in a panic reminiscent of that of startled deer. I'm just trying to do as much as I can for as many people as I can... The restaurants, the DoorDash drivers... My job is secure, I'm in no danger of being fired or furloughed, and so I feel a need to support everyone and everything I can right now.

montréaliste Mar 18, 2020 8:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 8866415)
I've used Waitr before, but they aren't around here anymore, so I moved on... It's pretty convenient. You do everything online and you can even request, basically, that they set the food down on the mat, ring the bell, and sprint away in a panic reminiscent of that of startled deer. I'm just trying to do as much as I can for as many people as I can... The restaurants, the DoorDash drivers... My job is secure, I'm in no danger of being fired or furloughed, and so I feel a need to support everyone and everything I can right now.

Lol.

I think I would extra tip just to witness their miming a startled deer while my wife and I flash on to do the headlights...

hauntedheadnc Mar 18, 2020 8:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8866425)
Lol.

I think I would extra tip just to witness their miming a startled deer while my wife and I flash on to do the headlights...

Careful, now. Don't try to be too funny or you might get scolded.

montréaliste Mar 18, 2020 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 8866437)
Careful, now. Don't try to be too funny or you might get scolded.

Yes, I am aware of that. Not to minimize the situation, but I think that levity can help a little bit and I see irony in everything humans do.

Capsicum Mar 18, 2020 9:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8866089)
Yeah, well I believe the origins of the notion/word "economy" are related to the wise use of one's resources. Not necessarily to accumulate as many resources as possible personally - potentially to the detriment of others.

This is kind of in line with what Deneault says.

I'd also add the word "economy" entered the English language via the French word "économie" (and the verb "économiser" meaning "to save"), which clearly evokes "savings" a lot more than it evokes "accumulation".

Doesn't that usage also exist in English though? For example, a person being "economical" meaning being practical with one's finances or an "economical" thing being a good deal or bargain for the money spent. Also, "economy class" for instance, for the cheapest travel options on a plane.

Capsicum Mar 18, 2020 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8865862)
Skim reading through this thread, it's funny to see who handles change better and who doesn't.

Nothing lasts forever; I think people get used to a routine and think it's gonna be permanent, like being able to go to the gym, being able to eat out, being able to buy toilet paper, a good economy, being "the number 1 country in the world..."

I don't doubt that some of you are going through the similar stages that you go through in grief (Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance). This happens with any kind of big life change that is beyond your control; I know I went through it when I broke up with my first bf; and then when I experienced my very first job layoff.

Everything you hold dear can be taken away from you in a split second. Health is even an obvious one. Just because you're healthy, doesn't mean you'll always be healthy; and just because you get sick, doesn't mean you'll always be sick.

Again, nothing lasts forever, even a crisis. We'll get through this, people. :)

Video Link

Acajack Mar 18, 2020 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capsicum (Post 8866446)
Doesn't that usage also exist in English though? For example, a person being "economical" meaning being practical with one's finances or an "economical" thing being a good deal or bargain for the money spent. Also, "economy class" for instance, for the cheapest travel options on a plane.

Yeah, I guess that's true. Though I do think that the use of the *other* meaning of all words related to "economy" is quite a bit more prevalent.

mrnyc Mar 18, 2020 9:21 PM

food is less of a worry or so they say. at least cooked food. take out is touched as much as grocery food is. i dk i guess try to stick with what you know in your area. a funny thing is in ny cuomo said restaurant booze is ok to go for now too. i tested that last night and its true lol.

Pedestrian Mar 18, 2020 10:25 PM

Quote:

Cable Car service felled by coronavirus
MARCH 17, 2020 BY MARK PRADO

San Francisco's Cable Cars won't be climbing halfway to the stars anytime soon, the latest victim of the coronavirus.

To help protect operators and to allow for social distancing for passengers, San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency chief Jeffrey Tumlin announced the historic cable cars will be taken out of service.

Buses will take their place. Partitions will also be put up on vehicles to help protect drivers, Tumlin said . . . .
https://blog.bayareametro.gov/posts/...ed-coronavirus

I'm very unclear on why busses would be any safer. In fact, since busses are entirely enclosed and most cable car seating is effectively outdoors, seems to me cable cars might be a little safer. I know I wouldn't ride a bus right now.

montréaliste Mar 18, 2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8866522)
https://blog.bayareametro.gov/posts/...ed-coronavirus

I'm very unclear on why busses would be any safer. In fact, since busses are entirely enclosed and most cable car seating is effectively outdoors, seems to me cable cars might be a little safer. I know I wouldn't ride a bus right now.

Yes, Montreal bus drivers just open the back doors to busses from today onwards. They don't check cards or tickets.

One coronavirus case from yesterday had just transited on the metro before his/her test according to a local daily.

mrnyc Mar 18, 2020 10:30 PM

millenials best beware:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/millen...official-says/

Pedestrian Mar 18, 2020 10:33 PM

Quote:

Ideally you want to introduce as little into your house from outside your house as possible. But in reality, for most of us this is near impossible. If you don't order prepared take-out food, you are going to have to bring in food from supermarkets or order what's needed to cook it for delivery.

However, having food prep items delivered may have some advantage over take-out prepared food. That is, the take-out food you will handle and eat right away. The staples and uncooked food you may have delivered can go on a shelf for a few days and you can wash your hands after putting them away.

Quote:

How Long Will Coronavirus Live on Surfaces or in the Air Around You?
By Apoorva Mandavilli
Published March 17, 2020
Updated March 18, 2020, 11:45 a.m. ET

The coronavirus can live for three days on some surfaces, like plastic and steel, new research suggests. Experts say the risk of consumers getting infected from touching those materials is still low, although they offered additional warnings about how long the virus survives in air, which may have important implications for medical workers.

The new study, published Tuesday in the New England Journal of Medicine, also suggests that the virus disintegrates over the course of a day on cardboard, lessening the worry among consumers that deliveries will spread the virus during this period of staying and working from home.

When the virus becomes suspended in droplets smaller than 5 micrometers — known as aerosols — it can stay suspended for about a half-hour, researchers said, before drifting down and settling on surfaces where it can linger for hours. The finding on aerosol in particular is inconsistent with the World Health Organization’s position that the virus is not transported by air.

The virus lives longest on plastic and steel, surviving for up to 72 hours. But the amount of viable virus decreases sharply over this time. It also does poorly on copper, surviving four hours. On cardboard, it survives up to 24 hours, which suggests packages that arrive in the mail should have only low levels of the virus — unless the delivery person has coughed or sneezed on it or has handled it with contaminated hands . . . .
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/h...-aerosols.html

Pedestrian Mar 18, 2020 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8866404)

I'm leery of them because (1) you don't know how long it took the food to get from the restaurant stove to you and it could be cold or unappetizing, (2) you have to tip the delivery person (20% is expected in SF and that's a significant addition to the cost of the meal), (3) it's one more possibly infected person handling not so much the food but the packaging materials.

Steely Dan Mar 18, 2020 10:43 PM

^ i generally try to avoid delivery as well because i dislike the tipping part.

my legs work, i can easily walk a block or two to avoid an extra $5 - $10 leaving my wallet.

besides, a little fresh air is always a good idea.

SteveD Mar 18, 2020 10:48 PM

I've got a little restaurant and bar node about a half mile from my house that we walk to all the time. There's been no official bar and restaurant shut down order yet in either Atlanta or the State of GA. Some of the businesses have opted to close on their own and others are still open. There's ugly shouting back and forth going on on FB between the closed places employees and the open places employees, and attempts to publicly out and shame people still going out for dinner and drinks.

Pedestrian Mar 18, 2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 8866549)
There's been no official bar and restaurant shut down order yet in either Atlanta or the State of GA.

As far as I know, even in places where there have been shut-downs, that's for in-house service only. I know in San Francisco, which has a "shelter in place" lockdown, they are still allowing--even encouraging as a way to keep as many places as possible from going under--take-out.

SteveD Mar 18, 2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8866562)
As far as I know, even in places where there have been shut-downs, that's for in-house service only. I know in San Francisco, which has a "shelter in place" lockdown they are still allowing--even encouraging as a way to keep as many places as possible from going under--take-out.

When it happens here, I would expect it to be the same thing. The places that have shut down are opting not to do that. They don't think they can be profitable at it (and I agree with them). My neighborhood draws people from all over the metro. It's a destination party scene. Those same people aren't going to make a trip to EAV for take out food. Everything about my neighborhood is the social vibe of hanging out and drinking. It's a very boozy neighborhood, and all these places make the lion's share of their profits on the liquor sales. We don't have the population base close by for it to be worthwhile for these places to attempt to eke it out with take out food only.

Steely Dan Mar 18, 2020 11:14 PM

uh-oh, my wife just got off the phone with her sister.

she just got back late last week from a work trip to italy.

she and her husband now both have fevers and a cough.......... they're trying to get tested as we speak.

they're both in their early 40s, quite wealthy (ie. rock solid health insurance), active, and healthy, so they should be ok long term, but this is the first case of someone i personally know.

montréaliste Mar 18, 2020 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8866572)

she and her husband now both have fevers and a cough.......... they're trying to get tested as we speak.

they're both in their early 40s, quite wealthy (ie. rock solid health insurance), active, and healthy, so they should be ok long term, but this is the first case of someone i personally know.

Hang in there.

SteveD Mar 18, 2020 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8866574)
Hang in there.

Very sorry to hear. Keep us posted on how difficult it is (or conversely easy) for them to get tested. I'm still reading about horror stories of how tough it is to actually secure testing.

Pedestrian Mar 18, 2020 11:26 PM

^^SF's techies have long been heavy users of not only prepared take-out food but also "meal kits" and any other way anybody can think of to get them back to coding with as little interruption as possible (certainly no time out for cooking). That's why so many of these delivery services got started here.

Centropolis Mar 18, 2020 11:39 PM

just walked past fully operational bars in st louis. mainly boomers!

cant wait to get parented at by a boomer.

chris08876 Mar 18, 2020 11:40 PM

Just some daily info:

https://healthnewshub.org/wp-content...-1-466x452.jpg
Credit: https://hartfordhealthcare.org/about...2&publicId=395

mrnyc Mar 18, 2020 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8866527)
Yes, Montreal bus drivers just open the back doors to busses from today onwards. They don't check cards or tickets.

One KNOWN coronavirus case from yesterday had just transited on the metro before his/her test according to a local daily.

fixed that for you mon amie.

mrnyc Mar 18, 2020 11:46 PM

sherrod brown’s tweet is sobering ... and frightening:

Unemployment claims filed in Ohio:

Last Sunday: 536
This Sunday: 11,995
Monday: 36,645

https://twitter.com/SenSherrodBrown/...850296835?s=20

Docere Mar 18, 2020 11:54 PM

Quote:

Hoping for the best.

montréaliste Mar 19, 2020 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8866604)
fixed that for you mon amie.

Thank you!

Likewise;

Fixed that for you mon ami.

mrnyc Mar 19, 2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8866647)
Thank you!

Likewise;

Fixed that for you mon ami.

oh lo lo bien sur oui that is very important now fiston.

Buckeye Native 001 Mar 19, 2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

:(

mrnyc Mar 19, 2020 12:29 AM

so this cocktail joint is offering fancy dranks with tots (because you have to serve food) outside the bar to go and its a big hit. money goes to laid off staff they say.

Northern Light Mar 19, 2020 12:51 AM

Quote:

I hope and trust your family will be fine; best wishes to them and to you!

mrnyc Mar 19, 2020 12:53 AM

what a shock right? but the wsj has uncovered the incompetent crony trumpies at the cdc were telling the states dont worry we have adequate testing:

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/...481998848?s=20

SIGSEGV Mar 19, 2020 12:53 AM

Quote:

I'd say go for it. Delivery might be slightly better than takeout in terms of contact with people (especially if they just leave it without you guys actually being face to face. Also remember that GrubHub is a Chicago company so you should prefer them to UberEats / DoorDash / Caviar / PostMates if you have a choice :-p.

SIGSEGV Mar 19, 2020 12:58 AM

Quote:

Best of luck to them. I wonder when the first forumer will get it...

photoLith Mar 19, 2020 1:28 AM

Quote:

One of my friends nephews got diagnosed with it today, they got back from a trip to Austria; they live in Eureka, CA. Although technically he could have caught it here as well. He’s only 7 so he’ll be fine. But it’s crazy that this is effecting people we actually know now.

chris08876 Mar 19, 2020 1:53 AM

I've seen some folks wearing masks the wrong way in my travels or at some clients that I've seen.

For the collective SSP nation:

https://www.straitstimes.com/sites/d...s-for-haze.jpg

chris08876 Mar 19, 2020 2:16 AM

Park near my town desolated. Not as busy when folks normally are out. Pic by me.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4bd4314d_o.jpg
Round Valley (NJ) - 1 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

chris08876 Mar 19, 2020 2:28 AM

I took this pic the other day.

Was trying to go for a theme. The weak and fragile shrubs in the foreground, the city in despair in the back, the lone tree branch, no leaves... no growth... no green or moment of birth (leaves). Possibly the grim look of the shrubs is foreboding the gloom that is to manifest in the city of light.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...116104e6_b.jpg
Midtown through the Bushes - 1 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

SIGSEGV Mar 19, 2020 3:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8866727)

Was trying to go for a theme. The weak and fragile shrubs in the foreground, the city in despair in the back, the lone tree branch, no leaves... no growth... no green or moment of birth (leaves). Possibly the grim look of the shrubs is foreboding the gloom that is to manifest in the city of light.

I should walk down to Northerly Island one of these days and take a similar picture of Chicago :).

BG918 Mar 19, 2020 3:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8863709)
Thats not really possible. There are not enough men including all civil servants, police, and military to enforce such a thing nationwide.

The best thing to do is keep encouraging local and voluntary quarantines and isolation.

Much more effective and less tyrannical

Also what you are suggesting is largely illegal in the US. Just because its "an emergency" does not give the feds unlimited power.

Still think this is all just an overreaction? The U.S. should’ve been completed locked down 2 weeks ago and we could be recovering in April. This piecemeal approach will not only prolong this pandemic until the summer (at the earliest) but also cost thousands of American lives. If you think things are crazy now just wait a couple weeks when the hospitals are overrun and people’s family members are dying, then the real panic will happen and things will get really scary fast.

pip Mar 19, 2020 4:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8866763)
I should walk down to Northerly Island one of these days and take a similar picture of Chicago :).

I got my bike fixed for really what turned out to be just minor repairs last Thursday in anticipation of not taking the CTA for a while to commute to work. I think shortly I'll be biking for fun. That's one of my destinations Northerly Island - never been

Capsicum Mar 19, 2020 4:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8866727)

Invoking some lines from a poem from the start of the '20s, a century ago.

"April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
"

pip Mar 19, 2020 4:08 AM

I think what surprises me most is that only a week ago today, Wednesday, this virus was in the back of my mind only and was popping in as a concern more frequently but quickly disappeared. I freely took the train to work, the redone Old Post Office btw for whoever is from Chicago, joked with coworkers, went out to lunch, and all seemed normal and crowded, now look at a week later. Still hard to comprehend how fast life has changed. Last week at this time all was great.

Pedestrian Mar 19, 2020 4:09 AM

For San Franciscans this is a certain sign of the Apocalypse:

Quote:

‘SFMTA will not ticket for street sweeping,’ says mayor
Yair Haklai

Update: Mayor London Breed decided to halt ticketing during the shelter-in-place order, making the announcement this afternoon.

She said, “[SFMTA] will not ticket for street sweeping through the end of the month. Tickets issued today will be waived. However, it is crucial that we still clean our streets to prevent trash buildup and local flooding,” so do please still move your cars even if there’s no penalty.

Earlier in the day, Supervisor Matt Haney complained via Twitter that people in his district were still being ticketed despite the circumstances . . . .

Formerly: While the shelter-in-place order, which will remain in effect until April 7, will upend life in San Francisco in the immediate future, one thing remains true: You must move your car during regular street sweeping or risk getting ticketed.

https://sf.curbed.com/2020/3/17/2118...20says%20mayor

chris08876 Mar 19, 2020 5:48 AM

^^^^

I wonder if the ticket SS of NYC will do the same, because in NYC, you will get a $125 ticket, blocking the hydrant comes to mind EVEN if your 3 ft away... anywhere and at any time. Like if you think parking your car in Queens, in a neighborhood with single family homes is not an issue and that the ticket SS will not be out... oh... they are out. They come out of the wood work.

One time I parked in an area where your not allowed to park from I believe 8am to 1 pm, it was close to 1 pm, just to use the bathroom at a local McDonalds, and they came in a flash. They literally have an army of ticket givers in this city. A lot of the fines are $65, and some of them are ridiculous. You will actually get a ticket in this city for parking just so you can wash your car or make repairs. Not making this up. There's an encyclopedia of codes on the Department of Finance website. If you want a fun read, check some of the codes out.

Its a revenue game with the NYC Department of Finance, and their damn orange enveloped tickets.

But for some, its the cost of doing business. UPS/Fed Ex incur 1000's of tickets. But with a decent traffic attorney, a lot of them can be dismissed. More of a hassle for 1 ticket, but get a traffic attorney if you have more than 5.

When I use to be in a company vehicle at my last job, I just tossed them. Fuck it. They'll send a letter in like 2 months time, but fun fact, they don't go after all of them. After a while, there's a good chance it'll remain and you won't have to pay it. Just get a attorney and most will be dismissed if you show that your parking was work related.

Now any violations on the GWB or anything with Port Authority, they will make a stink about it, along with their absurd administrative fee's.

hauntedheadnc Mar 19, 2020 1:31 PM

Down in South Carolina, in Greenville Prisma Health has converted one of their facilities into a coronavirus treatment hospital, while in Columbia the city has instituted a curfew between 11PM and 6AM.

Up here, a rehab center in the suburbs has been chosen to be converted into a coronavirus treatment hospital if it gets to that point. 92 cases in North Carolina as of yesterday.