SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

destroycreate Mar 13, 2020 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8860967)
I'm no longer a practicing Catholic (I've become Buddhist/Atheist), but this is a big deal for Catholics. And it's Lent right now. And for a Catholic, prayer and worship are the same thing; prayer isn't just asking for things; a (devout) Catholic recites traditional prayers every day. It's almost like being a Muslim. That's what church bells are (originally) for; they are calls to prayer.

We've got bigger fish to fry than some rosary bead ritual right now.

Dariusb Mar 13, 2020 7:27 PM

I've heard that a national state of emergency may be declared today by the president.

dave8721 Mar 13, 2020 8:28 PM

Schools closing in Miami-Dade starting Monday. Parents and businesses will be scrambling even more.

Obadno Mar 13, 2020 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 8861099)
Schools closing in Miami-Dade starting Monday. Parents and businesses will be scrambling even more.

My office is going to begin voluntary work from home on Monday

dave8721 Mar 13, 2020 8:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 8861099)

Broward just closed school as well

hauntedheadnc Mar 13, 2020 9:01 PM

I've spent half the afternoon writing a court report, only to find that the North Carolina court system is shutting down for at least thirty days. Nearly all cases will be continued until after April 16.

Steely Dan Mar 13, 2020 9:19 PM

illinois' governor just officially closed all schools state-wide, joining a long list of other states.

with a 4 and a 5 year old, this will certainly complicate things for us.

sopas ej Mar 13, 2020 9:23 PM

Per the LA Times, so far, in southern California:

- Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, postponed until October
- Stagecoach, April 24-26, postponed until October
- Disneyland and California Adventure closed through the end of the month
beginning March 14
- Smorgasburg L.A., on hiatus through March
- CIF state basketball championships, canceled
- USC spring football, suspended
- UCLA football practices, canceled
- L.A.-based talk shows halt live audience tapings
- Reality shows, game shows halt production
- Cancellations hit L.A. Phil, L.A. Opera and Center Theatre Group
- Pasadena cancels ‘nonessential’ city events
- Los Angeles Times postpones Festival of Books and Food Bowl
- RuPaul’s DragCon L.A. 2020, canceled
- E3 2020, canceled
- Santa Monica and Malibu schools to close two days for cleaning
- Several local farmers markets will temporarily close
- L.A. Archdiocese says Catholics don’t need to attend Sunday Mass for three
weeks
- Los Angeles school district to close all schools

Docere Mar 13, 2020 9:46 PM

As of midnight tonight, Toronto is shutting down libraries, recreation centers and childcare facilities.

WonderlandPark3 Mar 13, 2020 10:01 PM

never seen anything like this in my 50 years on this planet. even LA riots, 9/11 or Northridge quake

adding to the LA list

Most TV/Filming shutting down, and some office staff work from home
Universal Studios tours closing tomorrow
WB and Paramount tours also closed
Getty Museum closed
LACMA Museum closing tomorrow
Magic Mountain and Knotts amusement parks closing this weekend
WonderCon postponed
Long Beach schools closing for more than a month till 4/20
Too many concerts to name now postponed and cancelled

Spirit airlines has $75 fares ROUND TRIP LA to NYC (even departing tomorrow), unheard of even after 9/11, but then again everything is closing up shop

and my friend in Toronto just sent me this letter he recieved:

To date almost all IATSE 873 productions have halted filming as a precautionary measure to
avoid the potential spread of the covid-19 virus.
If your show has suspended production, our advice to members and permits is to start the
process of filing for Canada Employment Insurance for those that qualify.

craigs Mar 13, 2020 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 8860551)
I'm a social worker, and got a grim email this morning from the state Department of Health and Human Services:

-- Expect a spike in occurrences of domestic violence, child physical abuse, and child sexual abuse, same as occurs on holidays or any other occasion when there is forced togetherness.

-- Expect children to go hungry if the schools close, because a lot of families cannot make up for the meal(s) the child won't be getting at school.

-- Expect a lot of foster families to request respite, where the child is temporarily housed somewhere else, or a change in placement where the child is completely removed from that foster home and placed in another. Expect this due to complications in finding childcare if the schools close.

-- Visits between parents and children go on, even if all of the staff but one is out sick.

-- "Deep clean" any rooms or facilities used for visitation. No further guidance.

-- In-home services and investigations continue. If one staff member falls ill, find another, and keep going until you run out of staff.

-- Many children are in the care of elderly kinship caregivers. Prepare for these caregivers to be ill or to die.

-- Expect the illness to sweep group homes and psychiatric residential treatment facilities

-- Fewer than 3% of youth who age out of foster care end up getting a 4-year college degree. Many of those who do, are living on college campuses -- if those campuses close their residential facilities, those youth will be effectively homeless.

Basically, the thrust of the email's gist was, "SURPRISE!! Here's a nasty present -- have fun figuring out how to deal with all of this! :))

San Francisco is shutting down all public libraries and park & rec facilities to convert them to K-5 daycare facilities.

jtown,man Mar 13, 2020 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8860364)
I'm so glad that I have a bidet.

SO bourgeoisie of you.

tayser Mar 13, 2020 11:26 PM

All non-essential organised gatherings of 500 people or more are 'advised' to stop/postpone Australia-wide now... this means large religious gatherings, sporting events, conventions and the likes.

Schools are only shutting down if a case is found at the school / could change.

After friday's COAG meeting and the F1 Grand Prix getting cancelled, there's been a torrent of cancellations.

Australians also now have a level 3 warning for international travel which means the government advises to defer all non-essential international travel worldwide. China is level 4 (Do Not Travel) - suspect that might include other countries soon.

Minato Ku Mar 13, 2020 11:31 PM

Things were running pretty normally in Paris.
Even if many events have been cancelled and there were less tourists, life was normal.
Streets were busy as well as public transportation.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...40587776_c.jpg
Avenue du Général Leclerc by Minato ku, sur Flickr

I said "were" because next week all schools, high schools/universities will be closed until further notice.
So from next week because of this, public transportation will have to run at lower frequencies because many workers will have to guard their children.
Many workers will be working from home.

10023 Mar 13, 2020 11:58 PM

So in London... I left work, went to the gym which was much less busy then normal. Then a full restaurant. Then the pub next door which was packed. A rather stressed out bartender said it had been busy since early afternoon with people “working from home” who were by that time very drunk.

Typically British response to this kind of situation, really.

hauntedheadnc Mar 14, 2020 1:59 AM

Shit got real... I was just looking at Twitter, and all the breweries are closing to the public. No breweries, no music clubs, no shows, no farmer's markets, no drum circle... The great hush is settling.

WonderlandPark3 Mar 14, 2020 2:14 AM

Go out and patronize restaurants, this is going to be devastating to small businesses. Just went for drinks and appetizers at a Peruvian place that should be hoppin' full on a friday and it was crickets, our group of 3 and 1 other table of 4 in a place with probably 35 tables and bar seating. Really feel for them.

hauntedheadnc Mar 14, 2020 2:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonderlandPark3 (Post 8861486)
Go out and patronize restaurants, this is going to be devastating to small businesses. Just went for drinks and appetizers at a Peruvian place that should be hoppin' full on a friday and it was crickets, our group of 3 and 1 other table of 4 in a place with probably 35 tables and bar seating. Really feel for them.

That's my plan unless and until things get truly apocalyptic. And if it looks like they're going to, then I'm going to buy a passel of gift cards so the places I care about will have my money while they need it.

I've also noticed this is bringing out the best in some people. Some people are offering pet food, milk, paper goods, canned food, preserves, even frozen breast milk for free here on the Facebook exchanges to others who need it.

xzmattzx Mar 14, 2020 2:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8860903)
I was wondering if/when this would happen:

The Los Angeles Archdiocese (the largest Roman Catholic Archdiocese in the US) is telling parishioners not to go to Sunday Mass, lifting the obligation for the next 3 weeks.

Proof that even churches don't think prayer is enough? :P

You can pray anywhere. But in Catholicism, the Mass is the highest form of worship. The technology age allows us the wonders of doing things virtually, like work form home, or in the spiritual case, watch the Mass on TV or on a Youtube channel (the latter being completely at your convenience!) if it is not reasonable to get to church.

AviationGuy Mar 14, 2020 2:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 8861494)
That's my plan unless and until things get truly apocalyptic. And if it looks like they're going to, then I'm going to buy a passel of gift cards so the places I care about will have my money while they need it.

I've also noticed this is bringing out the best in some people. Some people are offering pet food, milk, paper goods, canned food, preserves, even frozen breast milk for free here on the Facebook exchanges to others who need it.

Same here. My favorite restaurants are really hurting, so I've made sure I've patronized them nearly every day. Also have increased tips. I know that not everyone can do this, but I hope that those who can will do their best to help small businesses.