SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

combusean Sep 22, 2009 5:58 AM

Phoenix Development News (3)

Old thread has reached the 10,000 post limit and is now in the Archives.

The Phoenix Development News thread is for discussions regarding projects within the City of Phoenix only. It is for projects primarily affecting the built environment: planning, new buildings, how things could be on a more permanent basis.

Use the Coffee Talk thread if it doesn't fit anywhere else. :)

combusean Sep 22, 2009 10:50 AM

The mystery behind the Catherine Arms renovation on 4th Ave and Fillmore solved:

http://www.azcentral.com/business/re...edits0921.html

Quote:

The housing projects began under a tax-credit program also funded by the federal government. Since the late 1980s, the government has offered tax credits for building low-income housing. In return, project backers have to keep rents below market rates for at least 15 years.

Many investors put money into the projects to take advantage of the tax break. Fannie Mae was one of the nation's biggest tax-credit investors before last year.

When financial markets collapsed last fall, many of those investors ran out of money or backed out of deals.

The new stimulus money, called the Tax Credit Assistance Program or TCAP, is a short-term fix to fill in financing gaps in these tax-credit projects. The Housing Department distributes the money to help complete projects closest to being ready.

"Without TCAP, we don't know when we could finish Catherine Arms, and we knew the need for it was growing," said Diana Yazzie Divine of Native American Connections. "Now, we plan to open by December."

Construction stopped last fall on Catherine Arms but restarted recently. Rents at the redevelopment project for Native Americans will start below $500 a month.

The [28 unit] project is receiving almost $528,000 from Arizona's TCAP funding to fill the gap in its tax credit financing left by investors who backed out of deals.

So far, 11 Arizona projects have received approval for TCAP funding. The Housing Department is working on contracts to give at least another 10 affordable housing developments TCAP funding.

glynnjamin Sep 22, 2009 2:42 PM

^There goes the neighborhood.

PHX31 Sep 22, 2009 4:06 PM

I'm glad it's being renovated, but isn't that somehow discrimination? Do they have an anti-fair-housing statement?

glynnjamin Sep 22, 2009 5:10 PM

Ya, i've never understood how you can create affordable housing for minorities. Don't white people need affordable housing too? Also, didn't we give indians acres and acres of land??? What do they need apartments in downtown for? I figured they'd all want to live at the Heard Museum stop apartments.

SunDevil Sep 23, 2009 5:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynnjamin (Post 4468473)
Ya, i've never understood how you can create affordable housing for minorities. Don't white people need affordable housing too? Also, didn't we give indians acres and acres of land??? What do they need apartments in downtown for? I figured they'd all want to live at the Heard Museum stop apartments.

Joke? :shrug:

combusean Sep 23, 2009 11:43 AM

I'm 99% sure the article got it wrong and they provide housing to everyone.

Vicelord John Sep 25, 2009 6:40 PM

anyone else gonna go?

Phoenix high-rise set to be imploded Sunday
17 comments by Sadie Jo Smokey - Sept. 25, 2009 08:04 AM
The Arizona Republic
At 10 a.m. Sunday morning, Lisa Kelly, owner of Advanced Explosives Demolition, will push a button. In 4.5 seconds, a bit of history at Third Street and Earll Drive will fall.

Residents and businesses neighboring the site say good riddance. Last spring, workers removed the building's windows, leaving a blighted skeleton of steel and concrete.

In 1972 when it was built, the Mountain Bell Plaza building was one of the first International Style glass-and-steel office high-rises in Phoenix. Designed by local architect Al Beadle, the building was a perfectly rectangular 10-story block of blackened glass. For 30 years, the building was home to Mountain Bell and Qwest Communications. Qwest moved out in 2003, and San Diego developer Joe Pinsonneault bought the building in mid-2004 for $12.5 million.

Jean Switzer lives with her elderly parents on Catalina Drive, one street south of the implosion site. As of Thursday, she said residents were confused and frustrated at the lack of communication and information about the impending implosion.

"I haven't received a flier," Switzer said. "Nothing about how to prepare, what to expect. Should we stay in our homes? Should we seal our windows? These are things that take a long time."

Phoenix spokeswoman Deborah Sedillo Dugan said a reverse 911 call Saturday evening will alert residents of the blast.

Laura Iten lives on Catalina Drive with her husband and 6-month-old son. She said her family will not be watching the demolition from their living-room window.

"I was really surprised that it was so soon and we hadn't heard anything about it," Iten said. "We'd like to, but it's way too close."

Kelly said the family-owned company has 27 years' experience using explosives to bring down high-rise buildings, smokestacks and bridges. The company recently imploded an asbestos plant in Newfoundland.

What to know about the implosion:

• A linear-shaped charge is used to sever steel. None l and Unimax products will be placed in holes drilled in the basement, stairwells and elevator shafts. There will be no adverse effect on utility services. Noise and vibration will be below levels that would cause damage to neighboring structures. "We have zero worries," Kelly said.

• Black geotextile wrapping will be placed from the ground to 30 feet high around the building to contain dust and debris. "The dangers and risks are minimum," Kelly said. "Our biggest concern was the (State Compensation Fund) building across the street." That building will have its own protective fencing installed.

• Maricopa County Air Quality Department said the asbestos abatement has been completed. Kelly said there will be less dust in the single implosion than would be released if the building were demolished one floor at a time, over a period of weeks.

• Kelly said residents can stay in their homes if they choose. Others can watch the implosion from 1,000 feet away.

"We've had up to 100,000 people show up to watch," Kelly said. "Police will have a soft closure on streets 30 minutes before."

• The following intersections will be closed from about 9:30 to 10:30 a.m.: Fifth Street and Verde Lane, Third Street and Verde Lane, Second Street and Catalina Drive, Second Street and Earll Drive, Third Street and Cheery Lynn Road, Fifth Street and Cheery Lynn Road, Seventh Street and Earll Drive.

llamaorama Sep 25, 2009 6:58 PM

thats the SE corner, correct?

is anything interesting or infill-like going to go there?

glynnjamin Sep 25, 2009 7:12 PM

John, I am there. Then I'm going to Fez for brunch. Sounds like a good morning.

scottkag Sep 25, 2009 7:18 PM

I was wondering when they were going to broom that thing. Maybe the SkyscraperPage bunch should pick a viewing spot and hold a memorial service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4474718)
anyone else gonna go?

scottkag Sep 25, 2009 7:25 PM

Thanks New Times!

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/besto...-true-1457812/

Best Street of Dreams Come True
Roosevelt Row
www.rooseveltrow.org

Many years ago, we were driving home at night through the mildly mean streets of Phoenix when we noticed something you never saw back then in these parts. On a non-descript building on then-non-descript Roosevelt Street, we saw tiny, white holiday lights. And it wasn’t even Christmas. We asked around, and learned that someone had opened a music space: Modified Arts. Then some crazy kids bought a building and called it eye lounge, setting the stage for the visual arts. Today, Modified and eye lounge have good company — an entire neighborhood devoted to the arts: more music spaces, galleries, a record store, a bakery. As we type it, we are still shaking our heads in disbelief, but, yes, we have a bona fide arts district and it even has a funky name: Roosevelt Row. True, it doesn’t quite stretch from 16th Street to Grand Avenue, as some claim, but from Seventh Street to Central Avenue, you’ve got a fabulous core of vibrant activity that spills over into neighboring streets and is starting to take off on days other than the first Friday of the month. Sometimes, dreams do come true — and our hearts go out in gratitude to those who dared.

Best of Phoenix 2009 In Photos

Tito714 Sep 26, 2009 1:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llamaorama (Post 4474760)
thats the SE corner, correct?

is anything interesting or infill-like going to go there?

I just heard on the news that the developer has plans to build a 21 story "upscale" retirement home. The residents want none of that.

bwonger06 Sep 27, 2009 4:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tito714 (Post 4475331)
I just heard on the news that the developer has plans to build a 21 story "upscale" retirement home. The residents want none of that.

That has been the plan for a long time. I remember Don posted a post a while back on the building...

combusean Sep 27, 2009 11:22 AM

It looks like the Phoenix Plaza parking garage, whose NE corner is on 2nd St and Catalina will offer the best view.

combusean Sep 27, 2009 6:32 PM

Youtube video of the implosion

Video Link

Modern Phoenix has the pics from 2nd and Catalina:

http://www.modernphoenix.net/forums/...p=24536#p24536

scottkag Sep 27, 2009 8:32 PM

Bye Bye Beadle

animated gif by me

Beadle Go Boom by scottkag, on Flickr

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2519/...d0f00abf_o.gif

combusean Sep 28, 2009 11:57 AM

Medical-school growth in limbo
Committee has declined to green-light downtown project

3 comments by Jahna Berry - Sept. 28, 2009 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Quote:

University officials are putting the final touches on plans to build a $164 million building that will expand downtown Phoenix's medical school and high-profile biomedical campus.

But the project is stuck in political limbo and it's unclear if construction crews will break ground in February, as planned.

"It will be difficult until we get moving through the Legislature," said Jaime Molera, a University of Arizona lobbyist.

On Thursday, the Arizona Board of Regents unanimously approved plans for the Health Sciences Education Building, a 265,000-square-foot facility that will house lecture halls, an anatomy lab, a simulation center and a library that will be used by the University of Arizona and Arizona State University.

The building will be located on the 28-acre Phoenix Biomedical Campus that's taking shape downtown. The hub includes the medical school, Translational Genomics Research Institute and ABC1 - a medical-research building used by ASU and UA.

Down the road, supporters would like to build a hospital and more research buildings.

The campus is part of Arizona's longtime quest to grow the state's bioscience industry. Phoenix owns the land and the campus is part of city plans to redevelop downtown.

The Health Sciences Education Building is also a key part of plans to expand the University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix in partnership with Arizona State University, which opened in 2007.

Without the new building, the downtown medical school can't grow much bigger, said Judy Bernas, an associate vice president at the University of Arizona.

Right now, it has 120 students and could have a maximum of 192. But the original plan calls for a school that would eventually have 480 students. The school won't have enough room for that many students until the Health Sciences Building is complete, UA officials say.

Funding for the project has been approved by the Legislature and Gov. Jan Brewer through the state budget process. The building would be paid for by bonds that would be paid off with lottery revenue.

But a handful of powerful Republican lawmakers are using a bureaucratic procedure to put the brakes on the project.

State-funded building projects must go through the Joint Committee on Capital Review before they can begin. The panel doesn't have to approve the projects; it just has to review them.

Sen. Russell Pearce, who chairs the panel, has declined to review the project. Pearce could not be reached for comment Friday.

Rep. John Kavanagh, vice chairman of the panel, said he wasn't familiar with details of the medical-school project. But he said that generally, due to the state's budget crisis, the committee wants to re-examine projects that have already been approved by the Legislature.

The committee is not opposed to all university projects, Kavanagh said.

"The only concern is projects where the funding has dried up, or that it may be better spent doing other things, like keeping tuition down for students," said Kavanagh, a Fountain Hills Republican.

The committee is also scrutinizing projects that rely on state-lottery money, he said.

Because of the weak economy, lottery funds aren't as strong as they used to be. The state still faces a budget crisis and money set aside for projects such as the Health Sciences Education Building may be needed elsewhere, Kavanagh said.
Fucking Russell Pearce! Every time some article hints at some knuckle-dragging obstruction, his name pops up.

HooverDam Sep 28, 2009 3:31 PM

Quote:

"The only concern is projects where the funding has dried up, or that it may be better spent doing other things, like keeping tuition down for students," said Kavanagh, a Fountain Hills Republican.
What is this fucking obsession with making college cheap? College is expensive, get over it! Work your ass off and get a scholarship like I did, this manic obsession with cutting admission cost really harms the ability of our state to have quality education.

VV There's nothing 'excessive' about the prices any of the schools in Arizona are charging, theyre crazy cheap.

PhxPavilion Sep 29, 2009 1:19 AM

Yeah except college tuitions keep increasing every year at a pretty ridiculous rate, it's just excessive.

Tfom Sep 30, 2009 4:30 AM

Mesa is the underwear of Arizona and Russell Pearce is the shit-stain

HooverDam Oct 1, 2009 8:48 PM

The city has a new website up about the general plan update for those interested in that:
http://phoenix.gov/citygovernment/pl...phx/index.html

Is anyone planning on attending those meetings? I imagine Id run into at least a few of you there.

PHX31 Oct 6, 2009 7:33 PM

Don't know if this is development news, but it's an update on a development. I have noticed quite a few more people mingling about and hanging out at the Civic Space Park this week, 100% thanks to the cooler temps. There were even people (likely ASU kids) playing soccer and catch in the grassy area on the N. side.

plinko Oct 6, 2009 8:30 PM

Not to gripe, but can one of you guys go out and take some pictures or something? The coffee talk thread seems to be the only one going and the only discussion is about who likes sausage.

Just a thought (I'd do it, but I'm 500 miles away).

HX_Guy Oct 6, 2009 10:53 PM

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...6elchorro.html

• Bernie Kantak's ambitious, five-restaurant project in downtown Phoenix, originally scheduled to launch later this year, has run into delays that have put the venture "ridiculously behind schedule." But the former Cowboy Ciao chef also says he's been meeting with investors "on a daily basis" and that "things are moving forward as planned."

Leo the Dog Oct 7, 2009 1:30 PM

^^^ Nothing out of the norm for DT Phx these days.

Leo the Dog Oct 7, 2009 2:22 PM

Fresh and Easy

http://www.azcentral.com/business/co...tesco1007.html

Quote:

Fresh & Easy to open stores despite poor quarterly sales
After recession tripped company's original plan, Tesco wants new markets to overturn losses
24 comments by Max Jarman - Oct. 6, 2009 05:47 PM
The Arizona Republic
British retailer Tesco PLC continues to move forward with development of its Fresh & Easy stores in Phoenix and two other locations in the United States, despite heavy losses.

The $96 billion-a-year company reported Tuesday that the U.S. operation, which was launched in 2007, lost $135 million in the first half of this year. That followed a $226 million loss in 2008. Tesco said it expects to lose about $260 million in the U.S. this year.

The company attributed the loss to the cost of maintaining an infrastructure that was designed to support many more stores than the company now has open.

Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market operates 130 stores in three target markets - metro Phoenix, Las Vegas and Southern California.

The company projected to have hundreds of stores open by now but had to severely scale back its development plans because of the recession.

Still Tesco's Chief Executive Terry Leahy said in a statement Tuesday that Fresh & Easy is making good progress in the U.S. and that the company is pleased with the results.

The U.S. stores posted first-half sales of $267 million, up 115 percent from a year ago.

"Customers are enthusiastic about the offer, particularly the fresh food prepared in the Fresh & Easy kitchen," Leahy said.

The company opened 30 stores in the past year and plans to pick up the pace to a projected new store per week.

Fresh & Easy now has 30 stores in the Phoenix area, with more planned.

Spokesman Brendan Wonnacott was unable to name any specific future locations in the Phoenix area but confirmed more stores are on the way.

"We don't announce a store until we're within 30 days of opening," he said. One location the company is not ready to announce is the former Wild Oats Natural Marketplace at 40th Street and Camelback Road in Phoenix.

For now, Fresh & Easy will stick to established markets in metro Phoenix, Las Vegas and Southern California. Eventually, the company plans to move into Northern California and other states.

Long-term plans call for a nationwide string of no-frills neighborhood markets.

Wonnacott partially attributed the increase in first-half sales to a midyear change in focus that saw Fresh & Easy alter its marketing to reflect more advertised weekly specials instead of everyday low prices.

Recently, Fresh & Easy launched its first major media campaign aimed at establishing its brand. The campaign includes radio ads and billboard with slogans such as "wholesome foods, not whole paycheck."

"The campaign focuses on explaining to customers how Fresh & Easy can offer both high-quality products and low prices," Leahy said.
This could be good news. I still hope they bring one closer to downtown.

glynnjamin Oct 7, 2009 5:32 PM

I'm having trouble finding more info but there is a Luhrs tour next Thursday at like 630pm.

http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...g-renovations/

HX_Guy Oct 7, 2009 6:28 PM

Its at 7:30am not 6:30pm

dtnphx Oct 8, 2009 6:37 PM

Does anyone know why the Janet Echelman sculpture is not fully lit up at night? Last Friday during art walk is was barely visable. I had a friend from out of town visiting and I had talked not stop about it for months, so she was really anxious to see it. She knows how it glows (hey, that rhymes!) because she's seen the photos I've sent, but Sh*t, we were so disapointed. The streets were teeming with people, but the park was empty, probably due to the fact that the sculpture was barely lit. It is like that all the time now?

HooverDam Oct 8, 2009 6:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 4496159)
Does anyone know why the Janet Echelman sculpture is not fully lit up at night? Last Friday during art walk is was barely visable. I had a friend from out of town visiting and I had talked not stop about it for months, so she was really anxious to see it. She knows how it glows (hey, that rhymes!) because she's seen the photos I've sent, but Sh*t, we were so disapointed. The streets were teeming with people, but the park was empty, probably due to the fact that the sculpture was barely lit. It is like that all the time now?

I think its ridiculous too. What theyre doing is only lighting up about 1/8th of the lights at a time and slowly they fade from one set to another. Its way too subtle though and looks like crap. If youre looking down Taylor from the AzCenter you can barely see the piece, its frustrating.

When the lights are on full blast it looks incredible.

Vicelord John Oct 8, 2009 7:06 PM

I watched a special on Phoenix TV about the lighting and they were boasting how it is so innovative because they can use a combination of different lights to "customize" the lighting. They were really proud of the "dim lighting" and the whole time I was thinking what the fuck? you're proud of this? it's gay!

Just turn the lights on.

glynnjamin Oct 8, 2009 7:45 PM

I am glad someone else noticed this. I look at that thing every night and I was beginning to think I was crazy. I sort of just thought it was because OCPE was so bright behind it (from my view) and that's why it was looking dim.

I sort of thought they just were conserving energy/bulbs to save money. It still looks okay - just not as awesome as it used to.

Vicelord John Oct 8, 2009 7:48 PM

I just wrote this email to Downtown Partnership and our downtown councilman.

Good day,

I am writing you with a concern I have regarding the road closures in downtown Phoenix on Diamondbacks, Suns, and any other major stadium/arena event. As a downtown resident living at 7th Street and Monroe, I not only find it inconvenient for myself and neighbors, but also detrimental to downtown Phoenix businesses and contradictory to the revitalization plans in the city and city leaders wishes to make downtown Phoenix a vibrant city.

A fine example I will use is early September when I was at a meeting at Monroe and 1st Avenue in the US Bank Building, and the most logical way for me to get home is to travel east on Monroe to 7th Street, turn left, and my home (along with 350 other people whom live in the complex) is on the left. There was a “road closed” sign in the middle of Monroe street at 5th avenue, forcing me to turn left on 5th avenue, then a no right turn sign at Van Buren, a no right turn sign at Fillmore, and finally I was finally able to turn right at Garfield and backtrack down 7th street only to see a road closed sign southbound at 7th street at Van Buren because of the baseball game. The 5 minute drive was turned into a 25 minute fight through barricades, traffic, and police officers who didn’t seem to care that every avenue to my home was blocked off. The overall attitude is “too bad.”

After speaking with a Phoenix Police officer, I was told this is all part of a plan put in place in the mid 90’s to get people out of downtown after an event. In those days, there weren’t so many people living in the city, and there weren’t any bars, restaurants, and nightclubs people could go to afterward. Nowadays, with the added traffic of residents, bar traffic, trains, and various other activities the cow town attitude of “let’s get people out of here as quickly as possible” is no longer a positive strategy for downtown Phoenix. Not only does this encourage people to leave the city before they spend money at local businesses, but it also encourages those whom are likely intoxicated from the event to immediately enter their vehicle and drive home. With all of the recent public and private dollars pumped into the city, it makes absolutely zero sense to encourage those with discretionary dollars to spend to leave right away. Let’s take the opportunity rope them in let them spend money at local businesses.

I firmly believe that if no barricades or closures existed after events, many people would ride the train to their event, furthering the success of light rail, or wait for traffic to die down before driving, thus spending time and money at the businesses we have worked so hard to attract. If we simply “get them in, get them out” then it will further the stigma that downtown isn’t a place you want to be (we do that when we put the idea in people’s minds that they need to leave right away) and it will forever make it too difficult for people to spend money in our city. Lastly, it alienates the local residents and in many neighborhood meetings, it has been a frequent discussion that has let many homeowners to voice their wishes to move due to the inconviencence which lasts ALL winter.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your reply.

HooverDam Oct 8, 2009 8:51 PM

^Let us know what their reply is, Im sure itll be a more politely worded version of 'fuck off, we're the professionals.'

plinko Oct 8, 2009 9:06 PM

Jon, I must admit, that's probably the most articulate thing you've ever written on this forum (or at least the nicest). Please keep us abreast of the results as you have made some very logical points.

HooverDam Oct 8, 2009 9:11 PM

Regarding "Her Secret is Patience" I just talked to "TJ" at the Civic Space park number ((602) 262-7490) and he said theyre 'working on changing' the way the light on the net is. He says theyve realized its not nearly as bright and are going to be going to a new setup where it changes with the seasons. The lights wont be on full bore like they originally were (disappointing) but theyll be much brighter than theyve been recently. Itll be reds in the winter and blues in the summer sort of deal, I guess thats an improvement anyway.

But it cant hurt for other people to call him up and get in his ear about it I do suppose.

Vicelord John Oct 8, 2009 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plinko (Post 4496489)
Jon, I must admit, that's probably the most articulate thing you've ever written on this forum (or at least the nicest). Please keep us abreast of the results as you have made some very logical points.

you do know I'm not a moron, right?

dtnphx Oct 8, 2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 4496499)
Regarding "Her Secret is Patience" I just talked to "TJ" at the Civic Space park number ((602) 262-7490) and he said theyre 'working on changing' the way the light on the net is. He says theyve realized its not nearly as bright and are going to be going to a new setup where it changes with the seasons. The lights wont be on full bore like they originally were (disappointing) but theyll be much brighter than theyve been recently. Itll be reds in the winter and blues in the summer sort of deal, I guess thats an improvement anyway.

But it cant hurt for other people to call him up and get in his ear about it I do suppose.

Thank you, Hoover for calling him. Like you said, dissapointing that it won't look like it did, but the fact that it will be brighter and ever-changing could be a good thing. :yes:

Vicelord John Oct 8, 2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 4496451)
^Let us know what their reply is, Im sure itll be a more politely worded version of 'fuck off, we're the professionals.'

which is exactly what I received.

John,

Good afternoon, thank you for contacting our office with your concerns. I will forward your traffic related issue to Downtown Operations, they will be of further assistance in giving you a final answer to the reasons why the practice is maintained. In regards to the traffic flow issue, the city will maintain its standard in getting individuals out of downtown as quickly as possible after major sporting and other events. By doing this, the city allows the traffic flow exiting the venues access towards the freeways, which will help to get traffic flow back to the normal. If this did not occur, the streets would be grid locked, which may cause accidents and further delays for residents and patrons.

The barricade process helps to move things quickly in order to return to a normal traffic pattern. We apologize for any inconvenience, however, the practice is necessary in giving valley residents adequate access to the major freeways. Most of these individuals choose to go straight home after the events and not hang out in Downtown, due to personal choice. I hope this helps and contact me if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Stephen Vital
City of Phoenix, District 8
602-262-4832

And my response I just sent:

Stephen,

My point, which I think you missed, is that years ago when this practice was put in place, there were not a significant number of downtown residents. Now that there are a lot of people living in the city, this has become a measure which is based on a decade old policy and needs to be drastically revised. It is making a bold assumption that nobody will be displaced by it, when in fact many of us are.

It’s too bad that there are no individuals who take this complaint (which I’m sure your office has heard before) seriously and gives the quick brush off to anyone whom detests it enough to write on the matter.

-John

Leo the Dog Oct 9, 2009 1:52 PM

VLJ,
Great attempt.

I can't believe this city purposely tries to get people out of DT as fast as possible! That is absolutely crazy. Phoenix is already one of the easiest cities to drive in. DT has freeway access in every direction, its really not that difficult. I don't think we need our police to be tied up in over-time traffic duty before and after DT sporting events.

combusean Oct 9, 2009 3:49 PM

^ Amen. Thanks a bunch for working at this John...and you too Hoover with the park. john hit the nail on the head with every point, and their dimwitted assistant completely glosses over the point.

With kooks like that pulling the strings it's really a surprise that we've made it this far.

frooney Oct 9, 2009 8:53 PM

Hi everyone, I have been a long time lurker and thought this would be a good time to post. I moved from Flagstaff to Denver a year ago and wanted to say the traffic management downtown Phoenix after a game doesn't help. By Coors Field, one block is closed directly in from of the will-call window. I cannot recall seeing an accident downtown after a game and if you choose to drive, traffic flows quickly with police directing traffic at busy intersections. There is no need to close other streets. LoDo is a great example of how stadiums can revitalize an area and Phoenix seems to be ignoring the benefits. How can the city expect downtown to be viable if they usher everyone out as soon as possible?

dtnphx Oct 9, 2009 10:59 PM

From Downtown Journal:

http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.com/2009/10/09/rumor/

That would be an awesome add for downtown!

HX_Guy Oct 9, 2009 11:34 PM

Yes but looks like Calabria closed. Too bad it always seems like one places closed and another replaces it, instead of adding to what is already there.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel...own_lola_c.php

combusean Oct 10, 2009 2:40 AM

The Hospice of the Valley campus on 16th St and Osborn has a project number attached to it: 08-2043. There's a big ass crane on site and construction is well under way.

Quote:

DESCRIPTION OF WORK: THIS PROJECT CONSIST OF REMOVING 3 EXISTING BUILDINGS AND CONSTRUCTION OF A NEW 100,737 SF 4-STORY UNDERGROUND PARKING GARAGE WITH A 38,660 SF 2-STORY OFFICE BUILDING ABOVE. THE STRUCTURAL SYSTEM WILL BE CONCRETE BEAMS AND FLOOR SLABS SUPPORTED BY CONCRETE COLUMNS.

FOURTH FLOOR PARKING:S-2 WITH 109 OCCUPANTS
THIRD FLOOR PARKING:S-2 WITH 167 OCCUPANTS
SECOND FLOOR PARKING:S-2 WITH 167 OCCUPANTS
FIRST FLOOR PARKING:S-2 WITH 142 OCCUPANTS
FIRST FLOOR OFFICE:B WITH 282 OCCUPANTS
SECOND FLOOR OFFICE:B WITH 422 OCCUPANTS
2 stories above ground of office and 4 floors below ground for parking? That seems ridiculously overparked right?

Vicelord John Oct 10, 2009 2:42 AM

Didn't someone call me an asshole a while back regarding the hospice of the valley project?

i seem to recall he identified who owns the parcel, and then asked what was going on. I told him hospice of hte valley offices and he got pissed.

Look waht it is, hospice of hte valley offices.

And wtf is up with that big apartment building on 16th street??? holy out of place, batman!

combusean Oct 10, 2009 3:17 AM

I was gonna comment on that too. It's like it came out of nowhere. I had no idea it would get to what, 6 stories?

PhxPavilion Oct 10, 2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4499051)
Didn't someone call me an asshole a while back regarding the hospice of the valley project?

i seem to recall he identified who owns the parcel, and then asked what was going on. I told him hospice of hte valley offices and he got pissed.

Look waht it is, hospice of hte valley offices.

Just like when you called me something to the affect of stupid idiot when I claimed the 44 Monroe crown was going to be scaled back right. You are an asshole, admit it and move on.

Vicelord John Oct 10, 2009 11:55 PM

I've referred to myself as an asshole a million times. I call things the way they are.

Now you move on.

And yea Sean, wtf? We never had discussion about that project except for maybe one post.