SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

westbev93 Mar 22, 2011 11:19 PM

He is still one of the big 3 for zoning along with the other 2 you mentioned. From what I've seen, which is a pretty small sample size because my exposure to zoning work (especially at the application stage) has been limited. However, he seems to be associated more with downtown projects than the other two. He is very expensive. His office is pretty nice (Lazarus Professional Building on Roosevelt).

PHX31 Mar 22, 2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westbev93 (Post 5211208)
His office is pretty nice (Lazarus Professional Building on Roosevelt).

That's where I also hear/see the name all the time! I drive by it weekly, but for some reason haven't put it all together until just now. :cheers:

bwonger06 Mar 25, 2011 5:07 PM

Sushi Revolution still plans to open in downtown Phoenix
by Howard Seftel - Mar. 18, 2011 09:29 AM
Republic restaurant critic

Quote:

First-time restaurateur Antonio Chavira planned to open his offbeat downtown Phoenix restaurant last November.
The name, Sushi Revolution, describes the concept: conveyor-belt sushi. (It's very popular in Japan.)
Instead of ordering off a menu, you sit at the counter and watch a never-ending parade of sushi plates - color-coded to indicate price - glide by.

But complications with ventilation and electrical systems have pushed back the timetable indefinitely.
"I'm new to this whole thing, and it's like climbing an endless mountain," says Chavira, who is "hoping to be up and running soon."
The restaurant will be between Fair Trade Coffee and Portland restaurant in Roosevelt Square. The address is 1024 N. First Ave.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...#ixzz1HdFAgKpR

In other news, Pizzeria Bianco is opening for lunch. Sounds awesome, you know with the whole 2 hour lunch breaks.

HooverDam Mar 29, 2011 8:28 PM

Quote:

Mayor Gordon: Phoenix lands health-field supercomputer venture

16 comments by Lynh Bui - Mar. 29, 2011 01:20 PM
The Arizona Republic

Phoenix will be home to the world's largest supercomputer dedicated to health information, Mayor Phil Gordon announced Tuesday afternoon in his final State of the City Address.

The non-profit Institute for Advanced Health will be opening in downtown Phoenix and is expected to attract thousands of biomedical jobs, Gordon said.

The Institute for Advanced Health will use fiber optics, wireless networks and cloud storage to create a centralized database that stores genomic information collected from patients and disease research. Hospitals, universities, scientists and doctors around the world will be able access the network of information to develop more efficient and effective ways of treating and preventing illness, Gordon said.

Gordon called landing the nonprofit a "true game changer" and said Phoenix will be part of a health-care revolution that will change the way patients are treated for cancer, diabetes and hundreds of other debilitating diseases.

Work on developing the Institute for Advanced Health is already underway. The facility will be based in Phoenix with "deep ties" to Los Angeles, Gordon said.

The Institute for Advanced Health is expected to complement and grow the bioscience industry in downtown Phoenix, home to the Translational Genomics Research Institute and the International Genomics Consortium.

Hundreds gathered to watch Gordon give his final State of the City Address at the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel.

During his speech, Gordon also announced that he would not be running for the U.S. Senate seat currently held by Republican Sen. Jon Kyl, who has said he will not seek re-election in 2012. The mayor said he plans to stay in Phoenix after his term is complete.

Gordon, who first was elected in 2003, is winding down his final year as mayor. Phoenix will hold an election Aug. 30 to determine who will replace Gordon when he leaves in January.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz1I1Rsch1A
Welp, thats good news indeed.

PHX31 Mar 29, 2011 8:40 PM

good news. The article doesn't mention where it will be located. I'll assume near all of the other bioscience areas, not in a tower.

westbev93 Mar 29, 2011 9:04 PM

What are they doing with that fortress across the street from the Channel 12/AZ Republic building? It used to house lots and lots of databases and e-data stuff (see how tech I am), but I think it was vacated recently. Seems like that building would already be hardwired for a supercomputer. It's pretty close to the biomed campus too.

HooverDam Mar 29, 2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 5220760)
good news. The article doesn't mention where it will be located. I'll assume near all of the other bioscience areas, not in a tower.

Yah my hope is over at the Bio Science fronting 7th Street. 7th Street is a mini highway anyway, so I don't so much mind if buildings over there aren't as urban as long as the other stuff on facing North, South and East on the Bio Science campus is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by westbev93 (Post 5220791)
What are they doing with that fortress across the street from the Channel 12/AZ Republic building? It used to house lots and lots of databases and e-data stuff (see how tech I am), but I think it was vacated recently. Seems like that building would already be hardwired for a supercomputer. It's pretty close to the biomed campus too.

That does seem possible, but I'd much rather see that building knocked down. It and the awful Chase Tower garage form two blocks that really hurt downtown. They seem to be right at the junction of all this critical stuff (ASU, Az Center, Convention Center, the heart of where the high rises are, etc) and they provide these awful obstacles for pedestrians to have to try to get around.

Classical in Phoenix Mar 29, 2011 11:20 PM

Did someone mention that they had heard that there was going to be a biomed announcement close to USAC recently? Sorry, I don't have the time to go back and look it up right now.

westbev93 Mar 30, 2011 12:04 AM

That building is a complete dead zone. But, why would you build an entirely new building when one already exists that should have the internal infrastructure you need for housing databases and e-data storage? And as much as I hate that existing building, I don't want them to knock it down. Razing buildings here just results in more vacant lots with unfulfilled promises to build something. That is far worse for the heart of downtown.

phoenixheadphones Mar 30, 2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westbev93 (Post 5221103)
That building is a complete dead zone. But, why would you build an entirely new building when one already exists that should have the internal infrastructure you need for housing databases and e-data storage? And as much as I hate that existing building, I don't want them to knock it down. Razing buildings here just results in more vacant lots with unfulfilled promises to build something. That is far worse for the heart of downtown.

They've been adding a bunch of exterior work to that building for the past couple of months, and they started painting it white and blue today. I agree that that is a terrible building, but i dont think its going anywhere. At least it looks a little nicer now.

renone Mar 30, 2011 11:20 PM

Does anyone know what all of the construction is at the area around 5th avenue and Filmore? Sorry if this has already been discussed. There used to be a baseball diamond there and they are clearing what appears to be a very large space for something.

combusean Mar 31, 2011 11:56 AM

^ They demolished the former Pappas school for the homeless, and Phoenix is going to landbank the lot.

HX_Guy Apr 3, 2011 5:54 PM

This looks promising...

Quote:

Staff requests the Downtown, Aviation and Economy Subcommittee recommend City Council authorization to enter into Agreements with The Boyer Company (Boyer) for the private development and financing of a laboratory research facility on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus (PBC).

THE ISSUE

In January 2010, City Council authorized Community and Economic Development Department (CEDD) staff to issue a Request for Proposals (RFP) and to negotiate business terms for the private development of a laboratory and research facility on the PBC.

In June 2010, staff issued the RFP for a private research laboratory facility to be located on an approximately 24,000 square foot City-owned site located east of 5th Street between the TGen/IGC headquarters and Arizona Biomedical Collaborative (ABC) I facilities. Staff received two proposals in response to the RFP. The review panel, which included representation from the Arizona Board of Regents, the private development community and CEDD, unanimously recommended The Boyer Company.

In March 2011, a Letter of Intent (LOI) with Boyer was executed for the private development, financing, leasing and management of an approximately 150,000 square foot, six-story biomedical research facility. Because the City’s TGen/IGC headquarters facility is 100 percent leased, there is no existing opportunity on the PBC for companies like TGen, IGC, VisionGate and St. Joseph’s Hospital / Barrow Neurological Institute to expand downtown, or for new businesses requiring a wet lab building to locate on the PBC.

This project will meet that need and allow for bioindustry expansion in Phoenix. Additionally, the overall construction cost of this facility is anticipated to be in the $40 to $50 million range, creating approximately 400 to 500 construction-related jobs and up to 400 sustainable, high-wage biomedical jobs when the facility opens. Bioscience workers in Arizona earn an average annual salary of $57,360, about 36 percent higher than average private-sector wages.

OTHER INFORMATION

Terms of the LOI include the City leasing its property as described above for 50 years with a 10-year renewal option. Rent will be abated the first eight years, then begin at $40,000 annually, growing 10 percent every fifth year. During the initial terms, City revenues will be approximately $2.5 million and over $3.3 million if the option is exercised. In addition, the City would retain fee title ownership of the land, and the improvements would revert to the City at no cost upon expiration of the lease. As City-owned property, no property taxes would be assessed, though after the eighth year of the lease term, a Payment In Lieu of Taxes (PILOT) would be phased in, reaching $2 per gross square foot of the facility and increasing 10 percent every fifth year for the life of the lease.

At least 40 percent of the building must be research space, including wet labs for biomedical research. Boyer must provide the City with construction documents, evidence of financing and pre-leasing commitments by April 1, 2012 and construction is to commence by October 1, 2012. The facility must be open by July 1, 2014. If these milestones are not met, the City may terminate the lease and reclaim the property, subject to one six-month extension to finalize sufficient pre-leasing commitments.

This project will inject significant private capital onto the PBC, expanding the City’s economic base while creating hundreds of construction and biomedical jobs, as well as additional tax and rent revenue. The facility will be privately funded with no City financial assistance. Additionally, this development will be compatible with the campus as a whole, enhancing collaboration and complimenting adjacent facilities, like the TGen/IGC headquarters, ABC I and the Health Sciences Education Building.

RECOMMENDATION

Staff requests the Downtown, Aviation and Economy Subcommittee recommend City Council authorization to enter into Agreements with The Boyer Company for the private development and financing of a laboratory research facility on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus.

HooverDam Apr 3, 2011 6:49 PM

^ Good news indeed. Looking online for more info I came across this site which had this handy map showing the layout of things:

http://www.azbex.com/images/uploads/...ap_for_use.jpg
The green square marked "Future research building" is the one referred to in HX's article.

I'm really worried about that parking garage location. I wish it was facing 7th Street instead since parking garages so often create dead zones. From the same site linked above it does mention this about the garage:

Quote:

In February, the City of Phoenix intends to solicit for a mixed-use parking garage to be located at the southeast corner of 5th St and Fillmore, directly north of TGen. This development proposal will be identical to the process of the Lab Building: the land will be leased from the City to the developer, a development agreement signed, and that entity will be responsible for funding, designing, constructing, and operating the facility.

The mixed-use will be determined by the developer – it could be anything from retail/office/restaurant space on the ground level with parking above, even solar panels on the roof leased to a nearby existing building. The mixed-use component is up to the developer and the city will determine the best use for the land and the ultimate best outcome for the city. The size and stall count, cost of construction, and relevant details of the parking garage will also be determined by the developer. The intent is that the garage be open by the time the UA Cancer Center and the Lab Building come on-line.
I'm a bit worried that just slapping solar panels on the roof makes it "mixed use", I really hope street facing retail and office lines the garage along at least 5th Street. It seems like we never learn our lesson.

HX_Guy Apr 3, 2011 6:54 PM

Wait...the Arizona Cancer Center is going on the NORTH side of Fillmore? This whole time I thought it would go where the parking lot currently is, where it says "Phoenix Biomedical Campus" in the white box.

That Holiday Inn Express is totally out of place right there. I mean having a hotel there is probably good, but it's design is totally suburban.

HooverDam Apr 3, 2011 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 5227294)
Wait...the Arizona Cancer Center is going on the NORTH side of Fillmore? This whole time I thought it would go where the parking lot currently is, where it says "Phoenix Biomedical Campus" in the white box.

That Holiday Inn Express is totally out of place right there. I mean having a hotel there is probably good, but it's design is totally suburban.

I think you might be confused. Are you thinking of this building?

http://azbex.com/images/image/biomed...pus2_thumb.jpg

Thats not the Arizona Cancer Center but rather the "Health Sciences Education Building." Unless I'm mistaken there haven't been renderings yet of the Cancer Center.

It is unfortunate about the Holiday Inn's suburban design, but, whats done is sadly done.

Vicelord John Apr 3, 2011 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5227299)
I think you might be confused. Are you thinking of this building?

http://azbex.com/images/image/biomed...pus2_thumb.jpg

Thats not the Arizona Cancer Center but rather the "Health Sciences Education Building." Unless I'm mistaken there haven't been renderings yet of the Cancer Center.

It is unfortunate about the Holiday Inn's suburban design, but, whats done is sadly done.

I think HX looked at the map, illustrating where the Cancer Center would be, and questioned that it was north of Fillmore, as he was previously unaware. Never did he mention the Health Sciences building.

HooverDam Apr 3, 2011 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5227324)
I think HX looked at the map, illustrating where the Cancer Center would be, and questioned that it was north of Fillmore, as he was previously unaware. Never did he mention the Health Sciences building.

I understand but since the Health Sciences building is going very near the place he was thinking about I thought perhaps he was thinking of the wrong building. Its a bit tricky to keep all these BioMed buildings straight after all and again I don't think we've heard much or seen renderings about the Cancer Center.

E: VV Ok just checking. The plan all along has been for the BioMed campus to go all the way up to Garfield and eventually South of Van Buren where the Mercado currently is. Which is why its extra frustrating that those lots on the Northern edge of the campus are left to sit as dusty pits. The City owns them, the City also claims it wants to find ways to reduce dirt lots, yet they own more dirt lots downtown than anyone else. They ought to be more aggressive about finding temporary uses for those lots.

HX_Guy Apr 3, 2011 7:52 PM

No, didn't get them confused. I thought the Cancer Center was going to go on the SW corner of 7th/Fillmore, not the NW corner. I didn't realize that they are going to spill the biomed stuff onto the block to the north.

Vicelord John Apr 3, 2011 7:55 PM

yea I know Im just saying you're the one who brought up the health science building, hoover. ;)

It doesn't seem like they are moving very quickly on the health sciences building, speaking of. They have been at it for several weeks and have only filled the parking garage and are standing on the second floor... on parts of it.