SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

gymratmanaz Jun 11, 2010 3:07 AM

Took my parents to the Compass at the top of the Hyatt for their 50th anniversary tonight. They loved it. Great new menu by the way. The best thing was seeing Phoenix through their eyes, when they knew it from long ago. They started living here over 35 years ago. They had been to the Compass when it first opened and this was their second time. My dad was in awe of what Phoenix has become. He couldn't stop talking of how much he loved Phoenix. he was amazed how beautiful the city was during the day. We ended the meal right at sunset....... Just thought I would share.

HX_Guy Jun 11, 2010 3:10 AM

Yea yea yea...did you stop by Cityscape?! ;) :D

gymratmanaz Jun 11, 2010 5:30 AM

You are too funny. Yes, more of the same progress. I may stop by on foot tomorrow or the weekend.... join me?

HX_Guy Jun 11, 2010 5:38 AM

So check this out...they seem pretty set on getting this thing built. Now I wonder when they say " downtown Phoenix" if they really mean downtown between the 7's and south of I-10 or...? Do we know if they own any land in downtown? Would it be on County land? Maybe on medical campus since they have been trying to get a hospital?

Quote:

Phoenix VA seeking $200M clinic
New center could be near downtown's UA medical school
Phoenix Business Journal - by Angela Gonzales

The Phoenix VA Hospital plans to build an outpatient clinic in downtown Phoenix that could cost about $200 million to address the shortage of space at its facility on Indian School Road at Seventh Street.

The hospital has submitted a request to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in Washington to build a 359,000-square-foot clinic that would provide primary care, mental health care, audiology, dermatology, rheumatology, optical, radiology and laboratory services.

Paula Pedene, spokeswoman for the Phoenix VA system, declined to comment about the cost and exact location pending notification from Veterans Affairs. The project needs approval from the federal government before it can go out to bid for construction contracts.

Mike Carson, division manager for preconstruction services for Kitchell, which builds hospitals, estimated the project could cost between $197 million and $215 million.

“Typically, you will see construction costs anywhere from 50 (percent) to 60 percent of that,” he said. “So if it’s a $200 million job, construction could be $100 million to $120 million.”

He said the proposed clinic would be as large as many community hospitals, including Mercy Gilbert Medical Center, Banner Estrella Medical Center and Arrowhead Hospital.

U.S. Reps. Ed Pastor and Harry Mitchell, both Arizona Democrats, wrote a letter of support and recommendation for the project to the VA Department, saying a collaboration with the University of Arizona’s medical school in downtown Phoenix would be a valuable opportunity.

“We are going to need new resources to help meet the needs of our veterans,” said Mitchell, who is chairman of the Subcommittee for Oversight and Investigations for the U.S. House Veterans’ Affairs Committee. “Bottom line, I want to ensure that our veterans get timely access to benefits and the best care we can provide. They have earned it.”

Pastor declined to comment.

In their joint letter of support, Pastor and Mitchell said a collaboration “would provide valuable opportunities for all parties as this cutting-edge academic medical center conducts state-of-the-art medical training and research needed to benefit America’s veterans.”

Arizona is home to more than 500,000 veterans, including 310,000 in Maricopa County. The Phoenix VA system serves 72,000 veterans a year.

Also in their letter, the congressmen said this project would address unmet needs for the newest generation of veterans, as well as those who served previously.

“Both groups bear wounds that often cannot be readily seen and are, therefore, difficult to diagnose,” the letter said. “Continuing to build supportive outreach programs and adding personnel would help meet those growing needs and will complement outstanding efforts already under way locally.”

In response to the letter, Eric Shinseki, secretary of the VA Department, said the project could be considered for major construction funding in fiscal 2012.

“VA anticipates reaching a decision on the fiscal 2012 budget by February 2011,” Shinseki told the congressmen in a response letter. “In the event it does not score high enough for funding, this concept will be considered for funding through the VA’s Health Care Center initiative as a major lease.”

Vicelord John Jun 11, 2010 4:24 PM

Hopefully nowhere near my house. Fuck. Ever drive by the va hospital? Nothing but drunk indians and gross people everywhere. As an outpatient facility there would be even more. I do not want that anywere near me.

combusean Jun 12, 2010 1:24 PM

There appears to be at least a 3 story building with a large footprint going up near 44th and Washington. Anyone have any idea what it is?

gymratmanaz Jun 12, 2010 1:30 PM

I've been watching that go up too. No idea. It kind of looks to be a center of a bigger development that will surround it.

Tito714 Jun 12, 2010 6:38 PM

South West corner? If it is then that's where the skytrain is going to start.

gymratmanaz Jun 12, 2010 6:53 PM

He meant 40th and Mcdowell

gymratmanaz Jun 12, 2010 6:54 PM

Ooops. Actually south of the 202 and 40th St

Tito714 Jun 12, 2010 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciweiss (Post 4748033)
http://southwest.construction.com/so...1_FlexPark.asp

Clarius Partners LLC, with capital partner Walton Street Capital, is developing SkyWay 202 Professional Park, a 60-acre fl ex-use professional park located at 40th Street and Loop 202 Red Mountain Freeway in Phoenix.

Southwest Orthopedic and Spine Hospital, an inpatient surgical hospital, will be Sky-Way 202’s first structure. The 94,000-sq-ft facility will feature an on-site intensive care unit, eight operating rooms, two preparatory rooms, and approximately 60 patient recovery rooms. Construction commenced during the first quarter with completion scheduled for Spring 2011.

Construction of the park’s primary infrastructure, roadway, 2-acre retention basin and utility backbones that will serve the hospital as well as future developments is now underway.

Because of the economy, the developers elected to reposition SkyWay 202 to focus on market segments that were less susceptible to the market downturn.

JE Dunn will act as general contractor on both the SOSH facility and the infrastructure improvements. The architectural firm of Ascension Group designed the SOSH facility while Kimley-Horn provided civil engineering services. Butler Design Group performed site planning.

Anybody know if this will be on the north or south side of the freeway??

It was in the Tempe projects thread a few months ago.

Vicelord John Jun 12, 2010 9:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tito714 (Post 4875578)
It was in the Tempe projects thread a few months ago.

hm, probably would explain why nobody could figure it out.

a) who gives a fuck what's happening in Tempe. We all know it's nothing but closing restaurants and bankrupt developments.

b) 40/202 is not Tempe.

gymratmanaz Jun 12, 2010 9:37 PM

AMEN twice, Vicelord.

Vicelord John Jun 15, 2010 12:36 AM

New Restaurant Concept Coming to Former Nine 05 Space
By Michele Laudig

​Downtown's momentum took a hit when chef Matt Carter's Asian fusion spot Nine 05 abruptly closed its doors three months ago, but soon the corner of 4th Street and Garfield will show signs of life again.

Fez owner Mark Howard tells me he's working on a "very fun" new restaurant that will "bring with it a fresh new look at a comfort menu." He also has a bar/club in the works.

(The corner property has two buildings -- one that housed Nine 05, and one that Carter had intended to make into a gastropub.)

Howard says he's working with new partners for this venture, not his current partners in Fez.

Future details -- like the name, food, and tentative opening date -- are still under wraps, but Howard promises to keep Chow Bella readers in the loop when he's ready to announce more specifics.

phxbyrd Jun 19, 2010 9:47 PM

Chase Tower plaza

I'm sorry to say that the money being spent to spruce up Chase Tower is a complete waste of money. It should have gone into a fund to really fix the building to the sxtent that it can be. It's not going anywhere so I'm prepared to live with it as long as I am that. There needs to be a glass roof structure built over the undeground portion and one story retail and dinning on street level around the block adjacent to the sidewalk.

HooverDam Jun 19, 2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxbyrd (Post 4883759)
I'm sorry to say that the money being spent to spruce up Chase Tower is a complete waste of money. It should have gone into a fund to really fix the building to the sxtent that it can be. It's not going anywhere so I'm prepared to live with it as long as I am that. There needs to be a glass roof structure built over the undeground portion and one story retail and dinning on street level around the block adjacent to the sidewalk.

You are 100% correct, the whole project of planting new trees is a waste. Its putting a band aid on a severed limb, the way its laid out is fundamentally flawed, a few new Palo Verdes wont change that. Its frustrating that designs like that can happen when you look across the street to the West and see probably the best designed urban block in the Valley.

Vicelord John Jun 22, 2010 6:56 PM

There's a zoning hearing sign in front of the old marriott mountain shadows. Can anyone explain that to me? Anyone even have a way to look it up? I hope they are redeveloping that bitch.

Luke Skyscraper Jun 23, 2010 12:25 PM

Can anyone post a photo of the new Childrens Hospital? How is it coming along?

Vicelord John Jun 23, 2010 2:38 PM

Think curvy sandstone box. I drive by it multiple times a day. It does have some illumination though.

HooverDam Jun 26, 2010 9:51 PM

Quote:

Grand Canyon University breaks ground on event center

14 comments by Michelle Ye Hee Lee - Jun. 26, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Six years ago, Grand Canyon University faced a threat plaguing many small private schools: bankruptcy.

But after a business model turnaround and expansion of its online curriculum, GCU is growing at a rapid pace. Student enrollment this fall is more than five times what it was in 2005, and GCU is embarking on a two-year campus makeover to accommodate the growth.

A groundbreaking ceremony Friday launched the construction of GCU's new 5,000-seat events center, the main project of the school's $60 million campus expansion plan. Purple and white balloons marked the corners of the future basketball court, and a handful of guests sat on the sample stadium seats to watch the ceremony.

The 135,000-square-foot center is one of four buildings being erected during the first wave of expansion, the others being a dormitory, a student recreation center and a classroom building. The events center is slated to open in October 2011. The other buildings will be completed by December.

The campus expansion was fueled by enrollment growth, said Brian Mueller, GCU's chief executive officer. Online enrollment increased from 21,955 in fall 2008 to 43,000 this fall. On-campus enrollment grew from about 2,700 in fall 2008 to 4,000 students. The school is aiming for 6,000 on-campus students by 2013.

After becoming a publicly traded company in 2008, GCU's parent company, Grand Canyon Education Inc., sold shares at $12. The stock price has doubled to $24, according to Mueller.

The combination of becoming a publicly traded school and extending the online program to working adults made expansion possible, Mueller said.

"For us, it was definitely a vehicle in providing the capital to allow us to expand," GCU President Kathy Player said.

The second wave of expansion will consist of two more dormitories, a classroom building and athletic fields, scheduled to finish in 2013.

Online colleges are growing in popularity, said Richard Garrett, managing director of the consulting firm Eduventures' Online Higher Education Learning Collaborative. Eduventures estimates that 2.1 million people took 80 percent or more of their higher education online by fall 2009, with for-profits like GCU taking 49 percent of that share.

Mueller said GCU continues to hire faculty and staff to keep the average class size at about 20 students.

A large online student community may be more appealing for historically religious schools like GCU, a Christian school, because they can broaden the reach of their missionary activity, Garrett said. GCU offers online Bible study classes, Player said.

Schools promoting online classes emphasize convenience and availability. But the two are quickly becoming commodities that may not fit into the branding of the non-online portion of some institutions. Schools offering online classes face the challenge of creating genuine online versions of their non-online experience, Garrett said.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz0rzxqPZgk
Its cool to see GCU growing up a bit, Ill definitely go check out one of their basketball games once this new events center/arena is built.