SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

PHX31 Jan 24, 2012 8:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westbev93 (Post 5562502)
I recently received an update on the happenings on the dirt lot between My Florist and 5th Ave. The site plan showed that there would be two new restaurant pads and parking.

The developer has apparently told the Willo neighbors that until it acquires funding, there will be a grassy area where the buildings will "eventually" go. So if you were one of the people who guessed that this lot would be parking, you get a gold star for now.

Really? That's stupid!

I've been wondering as I drive by there several times a week.... I figured it would be just a parking lot, so I guess a grassy area is better than a paved lot or a dirt lot (although I guarantee you the grass will suck and die, they'll probably eventually put gravel there, if not from the beginning). Was still holding out hope for them to start building the new structures, I even searched the permits this morning to try to find out.

Classical in Phoenix Jan 25, 2012 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westbev93 (Post 5562502)
I recently received an update on the happenings on the dirt lot between My Florist and 5th Ave. The site plan showed that there would be two new restaurant pads and parking.

The developer has apparently told the Willo neighbors that until it acquires funding, there will be a grassy area where the buildings will "eventually" go. So if you were one of the people who guessed that this lot would be parking, you get a gold star for now.

As long as it doesn't become a knoll.

HX_Guy Jan 26, 2012 9:44 PM

Fence is being worked on at the Children's Museum...they have four concrete posts up, two at the front stairs and one at each corner of the property...looks like it will have a nice proper fence. Anyone know if they are changing the front entrance to be off of 7th St instead of through the back?

http://nitnelav.com/DTJAN262012/3.jpg

Vicelord John Jan 26, 2012 10:03 PM

Sincerely doubt they would move the entrance after spending all that money on their fancy ass entry way out back. The gift shop and everything are in the new building so it would be weird if they used the main entrance.

westbev93 Jan 27, 2012 2:52 PM

Was I the only one not informed that they were planning to turn the front of the Heard Museum from an open grassy area to a minimum security prison? Why are they putting up the giant black fences? It's one place in the area where I had surprisingly never seen homeless people sleeping.

exit2lef Jan 27, 2012 6:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5565455)
Sincerely doubt they would move the entrance after spending all that money on their fancy ass entry way out back. The gift shop and everything are in the new building so it would be weird if they used the main entrance.

Yes, plus ADA requirements favor the rear entrance.

HX_Guy Jan 27, 2012 10:12 PM

What about a dual entrance?

Vicelord John Jan 27, 2012 10:23 PM

nevergonnahappen.

the fence they are putting in is niiiiiiiiiice.

Don B. Jan 27, 2012 11:31 PM

Interesting tidbit:

http://downtowndevil.com/2012/01/27/...rity-building/

County committee approves plan for bike co-op in historic downtown building
By Aiyana Havir, On Friday, January 27th, 2012

The Maricopa County Facilities Review Committee approved on Thursday a proposal that could establish a full-time bike co-op downtown.

The Bicycle Cellar successfully jumped over the first of many hurdles when the FRC approved its business expansion to the first floor of downtown’s historic Security Building in Thursday’s meeting.

“This is a need for downtown,” Maricopa County Sustainability Manager Jonce Walker said. “It’s a need that will bridge multi-mobile transportation since it’s adjacent to Central Station, the hub of mass transit.”

The meeting was the Tempe-based bicycle-commuter facility’s fourth with the FRC over the proposed expansion....

--don

Vicelord John Jan 28, 2012 12:13 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's awesome they got it done!!!!!!

PHX31 Jan 28, 2012 12:36 AM

Cool, what about that PHX Bike store?

HX_Guy Jan 28, 2012 12:41 AM

What's a bike "co-op"?

Vicelord John Jan 28, 2012 1:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 5567261)
Cool, what about that PHX Bike store?

It's a hipster bike shop that sells garbage for your fixie bike. I went in there on my way home from a decent ride just to check it out and they looked me like I was an alien. Not to sound arrogant, but when I walk into a bike shop on a $4000 bike wearing almost $1000 worth of gear, I don't expect to get funny looks. When you ask me how far I rode, and I tell you "53 miles", rather than "just to the local coffee shop to play on my mac", you should show me a little respect as a fellow CYCLING ENTHUSIAST, not scoff at me because I'm not a smelly hipster with no grooming habits or style.

and HX, a co-op is basically a location to work on your own bike, help others work on theirs, and share, trade, sell, buy used parts. There is one on Grand and Roosevelt called Broken Spoke, and they typically get grants from the government and are subsidized. It sounds like this particular one will have a few amenities for commuters including showers, lockers, and full repair/maintenance services.

HX_Guy Jan 28, 2012 4:15 AM

Maybe with this one across the street from Central Station and more of an emphasis on commuters, it will be a bit differ than the typical hipster type place you described. I'm glad to see something being put into the ground floor of the Security Building, maybe other shops will follow.

hrivas Jan 28, 2012 6:03 AM

i hope its a shop and not the legal advocates place that is talked about in the article.

Locofresh55 Jan 28, 2012 2:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5567304)
It's a hipster bike shop that sells garbage for your fixie bike. I went in there on my way home from a decent ride just to check it out and they looked me like I was an alien. Not to sound arrogant, but when I walk into a bike shop on a $4000 bike wearing almost $1000 worth of gear, I don't expect to get funny looks. When you ask me how far I rode, and I tell you "53 miles", rather than "just to the local coffee shop to play on my mac", you should show me a little respect as a fellow CYCLING ENTHUSIAST, not scoff at me because I'm not a smelly hipster with no grooming habits or style.

and HX, a co-op is basically a location to work on your own bike, help others work on theirs, and share, trade, sell, buy used parts. There is one on Grand and Roosevelt called Broken Spoke, and they typically get grants from the government and are subsidized. It sounds like this particular one will have a few amenities for commuters including showers, lockers, and full repair/maintenance services.

I'm not a cycling enthusiast like VLJ, but Co-ops definitely differ from your typical bike shop. There was one in Tucson I went to with a friend (he was a cycling enthusiast) called BICAS (Bicycle Inter-Community Art and Salvage). They did maintenance and build a bike workshops and they would also turn old bike parts in sculptures and such. I had fun looking at all of the sculptures and talking to the bike fanatics. Lots of them do the El Tour de Tucson race in November and they say Tucson is definitely "bike-friendly". VLJ, you can attest to this better than I can, but Phoenix from what i have seen and have been told is awesome for bike-rides....you just have to venture out there (as any good cyclist would).

Vicelord John Jan 28, 2012 5:25 PM

Loco fresh, half my response was about phx bike shop, the other about the co-op. I know how a fuckin co op works.

Locofresh55 Jan 29, 2012 3:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5567791)
Loco fresh, half my response was about phx bike shop, the other about the co-op. I know how a fuckin co op works.

I wasn't trying to explain anything specific to you. I know you know how a co-op works and realistically, I know you are the cycling enthusiast. All I was sharing was about the one that i went to and that was it, I was just sharing with the masses. Believe me bro, I'm not stirring your chili for you, I apologize if it came across that way.

trigirdbers Jan 31, 2012 5:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westbev93 (Post 5566368)
Was I the only one not informed that they were planning to turn the front of the Heard Museum from an open grassy area to a minimum security prison? Why are they putting up the giant black fences? It's one place in the area where I had surprisingly never seen homeless people sleeping.

Could you please elaborate?

westbev93 Jan 31, 2012 6:37 PM

The area in front of the Heard Museum is a large grassy area. As of last week, the grassy area was being fenced off with large iron fences. It just kind of sucks that they are walling themselves off from the street.