SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

PHX31 Jun 5, 2023 7:39 PM

Nice find!

Yeah, I think the cover rendering is correct location-wise. Looks like they took some liberties with the location of the rendering on page 19 of the presentation.

Next - what's the latest on this piece of land where they recently demo'd that old victorian hotel (the name of it escapes me)? Are we going to get the "sliver" soon too? :haha:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4504...8192?entry=ttu

CrestedSaguaro Jun 5, 2023 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyAZ (Post 9961320)
It's not over Hanny's, that image is technically looking at the building's SW corner, but someone mirrored the rendering in this package. The light rail and bus stop are both on Central which show up in the render as well.

That package lists a April '23 construction start, so hopefully it moves soon!

Ah, you're right! I wasn't paying attention to the light rail. It is a mirrored image. Good catch :tup:

ASU Diablo Jun 5, 2023 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 9961321)
Nice find!

Yeah, I think the cover rendering is correct location-wise. Looks like they took some liberties with the location of the rendering on page 19 of the presentation.

Next - what's the latest on this piece of land where they recently demo'd that old victorian hotel (the name of it escapes me)? Are we going to get the "sliver" soon too? :haha:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4504...8192?entry=ttu

I always tend to forget about this piece of land. I haven't read/heard of anything. It looks like the land is still owned by CSM development group that is based out of MN.

CrestedSaguaro Jun 6, 2023 12:56 AM

2nd and Portland

Here's a rendering for 2nd Street and Portland (adjacent lot south of en Hance). Proposed tower is 250' tower (with additional 20' for penthouse and screening). Should make a sizeable dent in the skyline in this location and closing the gap even more. So awesome to have this kind of proposed height so close to Hance Park.

Floors: 24
Total units: 318
Architect: Valerio Dewalt Train

https://i.imgur.com/IIgXyrg.png

View all docs on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...So?usp=sharing

DUPio Jun 6, 2023 3:38 AM

Awesome. Glad that area is getting some development. Slowly but surely many of those lots are filling in.

DUPio Jun 6, 2023 3:41 AM

Made a basic development map of most of the major projects downtown. Obviously it needs some fine-tuning but gives an overall sense of what's going on.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...CI&usp=sharing

I couldn't find any info on Link Phase 3. Any other projects downtown to add? I'd like to add in all the Tempe stuff and dive into more of the mid-rise/uptown projects when I have some more downtime if people think its useful.

combusean Jun 6, 2023 3:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halicem (Post 9961223)
New Windsor Hotel is to its immediate south, which as a low-cost housing building I imagine brings big NIMBY. It's a cool, historic building though, I can imagine some big hotel chain buying it out and turning into some luxury boutique property...

New Windsor is an SRO that houses numerous sex offenders and probably has decades of deferred maintenance. Even if that weren't the case it's too small to be workable as a boutique hotel.

509 W Monroe has all the zoning they need anyways so there's nothing to protest even if they cared for some resason.

Quote:

While on the subject of historic buildings, Monroe Street Abbey 2 blocks east (the church ruins in front of X Phoenix) would be real if someone picks it up and turns it into an event space, or museum, or even a beergarden/microbrewery.
An event space was the plan, not sure where it is.

Quote:

I think those 2 projects alone can really turn around the area, but it'll be close to impossible to do something about them unfortunately unless the city were to chip in and provides alternative housing...
The area is already getting investment btween this, the Toll Brothers project on Van Buren, and other rehabs. Most developers see past the downsides in the immediate area, namely because they're targeting the downtown submarket, the entitlements are easy., and there are only so many lots available for development anyways.

az_daniel Jun 6, 2023 5:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9961574)
Here's a rendering for 2nd Street and Portland (adjacent lot south of en Hance). Proposed tower is 250' tower (with additional 20' for penthouse and screening). Should make a sizeable dent in the skyline in this location and closing the gap even more. So awesome to have this kind of proposed height so close to Hance Park.

Floors: 24
Total units: 318
Architect: Valerio Dewalt Train

https://i.imgur.com/IIgXyrg.png

View all docs on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...So?usp=sharing

Nice. Looks like a corten like steel facade. Really would like to see more bold desert colors and materials like that.

CrestedSaguaro Jun 6, 2023 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by az_daniel (Post 9962151)
Nice. Looks like a corten like steel facade. Really would like to see more bold desert colors and materials like that.

That was my initial thought as well. I love corten steel, but don't recollect if it's been used on a building of this height. It would look great if so :)

az_daniel Jun 6, 2023 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9962176)
That was my initial thought as well. I love corten steel, but don't recollect if it's been used on a building of this height. It would look great if so :)

There are a few out there but most are mid rise buildings. Valerio Dewalt Train is a top notch firm that does great work. This will be a high quality building.

halicem Jun 6, 2023 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 9961725)
New Windsor is an SRO that houses numerous sex offenders and probably has decades of deferred maintenance. Even if that weren't the case it's too small to be workable as a boutique hotel.

509 W Monroe has all the zoning they need anyways so there's nothing to protest even if they cared for some resason.

Yeah, I don't think that'll change anytime soon. I'm just surprised a developer picked up the plot given its neighbor! But then again I myself live just a few blocks over and regularly walk/bike down there so clearly some people think it's a non-issue :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 9961725)
An event space was the plan, not sure where it is.

The area is already getting investment btween this, the Toll Brothers project on Van Buren, and other rehabs. Most developers see past the downsides in the immediate area, namely because they're targeting the downtown submarket, the entitlements are easy., and there are only so many lots available for development anyways.

I agree, the area's got an uphill battle especially with the government buildings surrounding it. Speaking of which, anyone know what'll happen to the old Phoenix PD HQ at 7th ave & Washington when they move in to the old Wells Fargo building? That's pretty prime real estate.

ASU Diablo Jun 6, 2023 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halicem (Post 9962480)
I agree, the area's got an uphill battle especially with the government buildings surrounding it. Speaking of which, anyone know what'll happen to the old Phoenix PD HQ at 7th ave & Washington when they move in to the old Wells Fargo building? That's pretty prime real estate.

City's plans for the old HQ had been shared when the purchase of the old WF building went down but I can't find the thread. It was either demo and RFP the parcel OR sell to a developer. The current building is too run down to be rehabbed and something like 20-24% of it had been been rendered "unusable" due to water leaks.

I guess this could be another potential tower at some point in the future, along with 509 W Monroe proposal.

MiEncanto Jun 8, 2023 5:58 PM

It appears the CoP Econ Dev subcommittee will be discussing the South Hall convention center and the potential Entertainment district downtown again this coming Tuesday at 9am.

https://www.phoenix.gov/cityclerksit.../230613003.pdf

ASU Diablo Jun 8, 2023 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiEncanto (Post 9964144)
It appears the CoP Econ Dev subcommittee will be discussing the South Hall convention center and the potential Entertainment district downtown again this coming Tuesday at 9am.

https://www.phoenix.gov/cityclerksit.../230613003.pdf

Great news! RFP for the identification and establishment of Entertainment District is a step in the right direction. Curious to see what they propose along w/ the expansion of the South Hall CC.

Plus you also missed the most important part on the next page. This is Astra :)
Quote:

Agreements with Aspirant Partners for Development of Property Located on 2nd Avenue north of Van Buren Street in Downtown Phoenix

This report requests the Economic Development and Equity Subcommittee recommend City Council approval to enter into a development agreement, lease agreement, easements and other agreements as necessary (Agreements), with Aspirant partners, or its City-approved designee (Developer), for the development of a two-phase, multi-family residential rental and commercial project located on 2nd Avenue between Fillmore and Van Buren streets in downtown Phoenix. There is no impact to the General Fund.

azsunsurfer Jun 8, 2023 8:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9964159)
Great news! RFP for the identification and establishment of Entertainment District is a step in the right direction. Curious to see what they propose along w/ the expansion of the South Hall CC.

Plus you also missed the most important part on the next page. This is Astra :)

I hope Tempe sues to try and stop this from happening!

Obadno Jun 8, 2023 9:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 9964269)
I hope Tempe sues to try and stop this from happening!

If only Tempe had an airport

CrestedSaguaro Jun 8, 2023 10:20 PM

I guess the question begs...who's going to break first? Phoenix or the Coyotes? I think it would be dumb for either to not let bygone be bygones and bring the 'Yotes downtown. Could you imagine if the Coyotes still put up 2.1 billion for an entertainment center in downtown PHX?

locolife Jun 11, 2023 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9964407)
I guess the question begs...who's going to break first? Phoenix or the Coyotes? I think it would be dumb for either to not let bygone be bygones and bring the 'Yotes downtown. Could you imagine if the Coyotes still put up 2.1 billion for an entertainment center in downtown PHX?

That would be amazing but a downside is another 16K-18K seat arena downtown doesn't really make much sense does it? For hockey, sure, but competing for all other events with FootPrint Center?

combusean Jun 11, 2023 4:23 PM

Another arena does not seem like it's in the scope or timeline of the current entertainment district consultant RFP.

MiEncanto Jun 12, 2023 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locolife (Post 9966204)
That would be amazing but a downside is another 16K-18K seat arena downtown doesn't really make much sense does it? For hockey, sure, but competing for all other events with FootPrint Center?

The target demo for the 'Yotes high-end fan does not hang out downtown. So in addition to hating the CoP, they don't have much reason to be downtown.

If I were them, I'd beg City of Scottsdale to take me. Give the City the ownership rights to keep it off the tax rolls and don't call it a GPLET (since its just city owned, like the Suns arena). Then you can get your gaming rights and avoid tribal negotiations.

The block between 2nd and 4th street just west of Drinkwater would be a great location. There's mostly just parking garages there now. It's across from the Giants spring training stadium. The City has a lot to gain from a big concert venue in downtown!

One crazy idea I had was to go to Scottsdale Unified and ask to build it on one of their several low enrollment schools and agree to let them use it for a certain number of functions. Let the school hold the land as a long-term lease for tax purposes and also for future use. Pima traditional would be a decent location for them even though Osborn doesn't have a 101 freeway exit.