SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

phoenixwillrise Jun 14, 2011 3:07 PM

Replacing Chain Link Fence

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5314716)
Historic preservation hearing sign up at chillruns museum. Says request to install art fence in lieu of current chain link fence.

That would be good because as it looks now, (saw it in March), it looks like the place is closed up or something as it appears they don't allow entry from 7th ST.

exit2lef Jun 14, 2011 5:25 PM

I had a phone conversation with the director of CMOP a few months ago. I expressed my concerns about the ugliness of the fence and poor pedestrian access to the museum. At that time, the Director told me that the City was going to install a better fence since it owns the property. It appears that is now getting closer. One unfortunate detail, though: The City's new fence will only extend as far as the length of the museum's actual building. The parking lot on the southeast corner of 7th St & Van Buren will continue to be enclosed by a chain link fence to prevent children from running into traffic.

As regards pedestrian access, I complained that the gate that leads from 7th Street to the museum's rear entrance was not well-marked or consistently unlocked during business hours. She pledged to make improvements in that area, but I have not yet had a chance to visit and see if changes were made. Overall, there was a willingness to listen to my concerns, but I think CMOP still sees 90+% of its visitors arrive by car and therefore thinks about the parking lot and rear entrance more than the historic 7th Street entry.

PhxDowntowner Jun 14, 2011 5:37 PM

You know I'm a walkability frother, but 7th Street is such a massive barrier to pedestrians that ped access via 7th probably doesn't matter until/unless we do something about 7th Street itself. I know casual bike riders that aren't even comfortable crossing that road :(

exit2lef Jun 14, 2011 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhxDowntowner (Post 5314945)
You know I'm a walkability frother, but 7th Street is such a massive barrier to pedestrians that ped access via 7th probably doesn't matter until/unless we do something about 7th Street itself. I know casual bike riders that aren't even comfortable crossing that road :(

In the same conversation, I suggested she work with the City to see if a HAWK signal might be possible at Monroe, providing a pedestrian route linking CMOP with Heritage Square. Right now, there's an unsignalled crosswalk there, but few people use it for the reasons you mention.

Even if it's difficult to cross 7th St at mid-block, I have seen people cross at Washington or Van Buren to get to CMOP. Right now, about half those families end up using the driveway to enter CMOP because the pedestrian gate is poorly marked, so making that access point more visible would yield some improvement in safety even if the much larger issues with the 7s remain unaddressed.

Vicelord John Jun 14, 2011 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 5314969)
In the same conversation, I suggested she work with the City to see if a HAWK signal might be possible at Monroe, providing a pedestrian route linking CMOP with Heritage Square. Right now, there's an unsignalled crosswalk there, but few people use it for the reasons you mention.

Even if it's difficult to cross 7th St at mid-block, I have seen people cross at Washington or Van Buren to get to CMOP. Right now, about half those families end up using the driveway to enter CMOP because the pedestrian gate is poorly marked, so making that access point more visible would yield some improvement in safety even if the much larger issues with the 7s remain unaddressed.

I forgot to follow up on the lenghty conversation I had with the downtown traffic manager about that HAWK. He said they would complete a study by the end of April and I was supposed to call him in May. I forgot his name and number though... :shrug:

PhxDowntowner Jun 14, 2011 9:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5314974)
I forgot his name and number

email trail?

Vicelord John Jun 14, 2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhxDowntowner (Post 5315254)
email trail?

Email trail?

PhxDowntowner Jun 14, 2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5315299)
Email trail?

eMail Trail?

dtnphx Jun 14, 2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhxDowntowner (Post 5315408)
eMail Trail?

eMail Trail?

Vicelord John Jun 14, 2011 11:45 PM

wtf is an email trail?

HX_Guy Jun 17, 2011 3:26 PM

Good job Phil, way to lead out... :)

Quote:

Chateau on Central sells first unit to Phoenix mayor

Phoenix Business Journal - by Mike Sunnucks
Date: Friday, June 17, 2011, 3:00am

The Chateau on Central housing project has been a poster child for the ups and downs of Phoenix’s housing market.
The 21-unit upscale, Victorian-style brownstone development at Central Avenue and Palm Lane has hit construction delays since 2005 because of economic and financing problems; got caught up the Mortgages Ltd. debacle; and eventually was sold via bankruptcy proceedings to a Wisconsin food company, MSI West Investments LLC.
After slashing prices, which originally were $2.8 million to $4.5 million per unit, Chateau’s first condo was sold to outgoing Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon at a list price of $1.4 million.

phoenixwillrise Jun 17, 2011 4:07 PM

Chateau

That project is cool except that there is a glass office building smack up next to it to the north. I wouldn't pay that kind of bank to look out my window at a dark glass wall 20 feet away.

Vicelord John Jun 17, 2011 6:12 PM

That building you speak of, Central Park Square, is only one one side. My guess is a majority of the windows on your Chateau are south, east, and west facing.

I'll still take it.

Wonder if Gordo will actually move in there.

pbenjamin Jun 17, 2011 7:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5319358)
That building you speak of, Central Park Square, is only one one side. My guess is a majority of the windows on your Chateau are south, east, and west facing.

I'll still take it.

Wonder if Gordo will actually move in there.

They had an open house on a completed unit a couple of years ago. The only place where the adjacent building was obvious was on the patio on the top floor.

Vicelord John Jun 17, 2011 9:45 PM

WOO!

News
Barrio Cafe, Cartel, LGO and More Ready to Take Off at Sky HarborBy Wynter Holden Fri., Jun. 17 2011 at 2:41 PM Categories: News
Share 0diggsdigg

Courtesy of HMS Host
A sneak peek at what's in store for Terminal 4.

Back in May, Phoenix's Sky Harbor Airport announced their selection of HMS Host's locally-focused proposal for a new cache of restaurants inside Terminal 4 as the first of two restaurant "master concessionaire" contracts to be awarded for the terminal's new food program. After passing through several committees, the contract received final approval from the City Council this week.

What does that mean for locals and Phoenix travelers?

New outposts of James Beard Award nominee Chef Silvana Salcido Esparza's Barrio Cafe, as well as a new Cartel Coffee Lab and almost two dozen other local eateries. Not surprisingly, several Sam Fox ventures made the final cut, as did the token handful of fast-food options.

Construction on the project is slated to begin in January of next year, with temporary kiosks set up throughout the terminal so that restaurant service will not be completely interrupted during the process.

Find out who's in charge, and get the full list of Sky Harbor Terminal 4 eateries after the jump...

Courtesy of HMS Host
Several Sam Fox restaurants will be popping up at Sky Harbor, including Sauce.

Overseeing the Terminal's restaurant program is former Estate House chef Gio Osso,

who came on board in 2010 with hopes of bringing in more locally produced ingredients and Phoenix-area restaurants. Clearly he's made progress towards that goal, as more than three-quarters of the restaurants that have been approved for Terminal 4 are locally owned.

Here's the lineup for the first wave of Terminal 4's new restaurant offerings, which will be located at concourses N2, N3, N4, S4, S3, S2, and in the lobby area on the north side:

Barrio Cafe
Cowboy Ciao
Press Coffee Roasters
Cartel Coffee Lab
Dilly's Deli
D'licious Dishes
Sir Veza's Taco Garage
El Bravo
La Grande Orange
Grateful Spoon Gelato
Chelsea's Kitchen
Blanco Tacos & Tequila
Olive & Ivy
Sauce
Modern Burger
NYPD Pizza
McDonald's
La Madeleine
Starbucks
Paradise Bakery

Follow Chow Bella on Facebook and Twitter.

glynnjamin Jun 20, 2011 7:28 PM

Oh man, Modern Burger is amazing. If I still lived in my Condo in Phx I would be taking the light rail to the airport for dinner every weekend.

Vicelord John Jun 20, 2011 7:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynnjamin (Post 5322240)
Oh man, Modern Burger is amazing. If I still lived in my Condo in Phx I would be taking the light rail to the airport for dinner every weekend.

That sounds like a royal pain in the ass. :haha:

DrumCorpsAlum Jun 21, 2011 5:05 AM

Good. I practically live at the airport, and need some new food choices. Seriously, I'm sleeping in the crew room tonight.

HX_Guy Jun 21, 2011 7:00 AM

Info on Lofts at MicKinley...

http://www.azcentral.com/business/re...-disabled.html

Lofts at McKinley

809 N Fifth Ave. Phoenix, in the Roosevelt Historic District.
- Groundbreaking this month at the former site of a vacant office building. Anticipated opening in fall 2012.
- Three-story complex with 60 units for ages 55 and older. Eleven different types of units from flats to two-story townhomes, ranging from 650 to 1,019 square feet.
- Universally designed for the physically disabled.
- Includes a theater, artist workspace and controlled entry.
- Rents will range from $394 to $719 a month and will be rented to income-eligible families earning between 40 percent and 60 percent of the area median income, or $18,680 to $32,960 annually.

westbev93 Jun 22, 2011 5:20 PM

They are installing a chain link fence around the Tom Horne building at 7th and McDowell. Maybe they are actually starting work?