SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Post Office Redevelopment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192697)

marothisu Jan 17, 2018 12:30 AM

Walgreens HQ relocation or just a big office that's not HQ?

Vlajos Jan 17, 2018 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 8049195)
Walgreens HQ relocation or just a big office that's not HQ?

Unclear, but it sounded like quite a bit of space

marothisu Jan 17, 2018 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlajos (Post 8049198)
Unclear, but it sounded like quite a bit of space

That's cool - I hope it's the HQ and also a lot of workers . But even if it's just a big office of hundreds of workers, then that's also good. Would be an interesting office set up - we moved 2 years ago to a building with high ceilings, very open, etc as a high performance space. It's worked out well and I would definitely never go back to the old way if I didn't have to.

Do you have any info on the purchase of the parking lot adjacent and west of the Holiday Inn too?

Vlajos Jan 17, 2018 1:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 8049205)
That's cool - I hope it's the HQ and also a lot of workers. But even if it's just a big office of hundreds of workers, then that's also good.

Do you have any info on the purchase of the parking lot adjacent and west of the Holiday Inn too?

Yeah, it sounded like 200-300K for Walgreens. Nothing on that lot though. I wish I did.

the urban politician Jan 17, 2018 1:58 AM

^ That's a ton of jobs.

United just moved their HQ though, I would be surprised if they moved it again. Also, like I said I hope it's somebody else. An out of town company would be nice

MultiModal Jan 17, 2018 2:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8049300)
^ That's a ton of jobs.

United just moved their HQ though, I would be surprised if they moved it again. Also, like I said I hope it's somebody else. An out of town company would be nice

United has looked at the Post Office. They are looking to consolidate and move some of their suburban offices downtown. So they would maintain their current HQ.

left of center Jan 17, 2018 2:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8049300)
An out of town company would be nice

This.

While having Walgreens move downtown would be fantastic (and probably will at some point in the near future), poaching an HQ from another city would be even better news. It would bring jobs to the metro that were not already here, send a message that IL is not a complete economic basket case (debatable), and would be another line item on our Amazon HQ2 resume.

Kngkyle Jan 17, 2018 2:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MultiModal (Post 8049346)
United has looked at the Post Office. They are looking to consolidate and move some of their suburban offices downtown. So they would maintain their current HQ.

I was under the impression that they basically had nothing left in the suburbs and everything was already consolidated at Sears. Is that wrong then?

Vlajos Jan 17, 2018 3:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 8049361)
I was under the impression that they basically had nothing left in the suburbs and everything was already consolidated at Sears. Is that wrong then?

Not sure, but maybe jobs from Houston are involved.

Bombardier Jan 17, 2018 3:06 PM

I heard Walgreens was going there as well. They were also considering 625 W Adams among other locations but decided to go with the OPO.

r18tdi Jan 17, 2018 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombardier (Post 8049703)
I heard Walgreens was going there as well.

Ditto. I heard something in the 300,000 SQF range, still will maintain a big presence in Deerfield.

the urban politician Jan 17, 2018 3:57 PM

Wow, all these rumors but no actual announcement? I hope it’s a HQ.

Anyhow, sounds like we can cross HQ2 off of the list in light of all these rumors

k1052 Jan 17, 2018 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8049770)
Wow, all these rumors but no actual announcement? I hope it’s a HQ.

Anyhow, sounds like we can cross HQ2 off of the list in light of all these rumors

Meh I personally think it's better if they can fill the building with a slate of 10-15 companies in different industries.

ithakas Jan 17, 2018 4:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8049770)
Wow, all these rumors but no actual announcement? I hope it’s a HQ.

Anyhow, sounds like we can cross HQ2 off of the list in light of all these rumors

I think it's pretty clear at this point that we're getting the Walgreens HQ to the Post Office, Amazon HQ2 to Lincoln Yards, and 5k new Google employees to the north end of Fulton Market. ;)

Vlajos Jan 17, 2018 5:08 PM

Maybe UA was asked to vacate the Sears Tower for someone?

JK47 Jan 17, 2018 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MultiModal (Post 8049346)
United has looked at the Post Office. They are looking to consolidate and move some of their suburban offices downtown. So they would maintain their current HQ.


Their move into Sears already consolidated most of the offices they had scattered around. They have about 4,400 people in Sears on 16 floors currently (about 800,000+ square feet). Other than that United only has employees at their O'Hare operations and at a Reservation Center nearby. The Reservation Center isn't likely to move given they just spent money on it and the lease for the site is absurdly low with 10 years remaining (about $12,500 a year for something like 20 acres).

JK47 Jan 17, 2018 7:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlajos (Post 8049884)
Maybe UA was asked to vacate the Sears Tower for someone?


Yeah that's not the case at all. UA is safely ensconced in their current offices in the Tower. Although Blackstone did force the food vendors to vacate while the spaces they occupied are demolished and renovated...in the middle of winter.

Kngkyle Jan 17, 2018 10:35 PM

It seems every week there is another prime candidate for this building. First it was Walgreens, then Amazon, then Google, now Apple. The timing here couldn't be any better for 601w.

marothisu Jan 17, 2018 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8049770)
Wow, all these rumors but no actual announcement? I hope it’s a HQ.

Anyhow, sounds like we can cross HQ2 off of the list in light of all these rumors

LOL! Why? There's a rumor that states 200K - 300K sq ft of space for someone like Walgreens. The entire thing is 2.7 million sq ft of available space. Why would that mean you could possibly cross HQ2 off the list? Even if they filled up 100% of the space, they'd still be way short and have to build at least a few new buildings anyway to get to their ultimate goal. So, I respectfully disagree with your assessment

left of center Jan 17, 2018 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithakas (Post 8049824)
I think it's pretty clear at this point that we're getting the Walgreens HQ to the Post Office, Amazon HQ2 to Lincoln Yards, and 5k new Google employees to the north end of Fulton Market. ;)

Lmao! That is an unbelievably idealistic take on the situation, and I love it! But what about Apple's 2nd HQ?



Apple to build 2nd campus, hire 20,000 in $350B pledge

Quote:

Apple is planning to build another corporate campus and hire 20,000 workers during the next five years as part of a $350 billion commitment to the U.S. economy.

The tech giant says it will announce the location of a second campus devoted to customer support later this year. There's no word on where that new campus would be located.

Apple's announcement comes on the heels of Amazon's search for a so-called "HQ2," a second major office hub that's set off a national frenzy of competition among potential host cities—including Chicago.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...in-350b-pledge


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.