SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

iheartthed Aug 30, 2020 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9026687)
What occurs to me is this: While it may be illegal for US companies to hire foreign workers wherever they are unless they have a "green card",

I actually don't think this is illegal, if I understand you correctly. A company based in the U.S. can hire a person to work remotely from another country even if that person does not have work authorization in the U.S. The only thing that person is restricted from doing is working for the employer when they are present in the U.S. This is the big flaw with people who think we're all going to go to permanent remote work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9026687)
it is not illegal to contract for services outside the US. Therefore, why not do so? I don't know if hiring individuals as contractors is OK, but if those individuals band together as some form of co-op or association it should be possible to contract with them to complete a project. No?

That happens a lot already. Very early stage tech startups often contract their code development offshore. There is almost no market to create a software dev contractor shop in the U.S. because it is impossible to compete with foreign contractors on price.

twister244 Aug 30, 2020 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9026522)
So this might not be very obvious, but I'd bet that most governments don't consider it legal for you to work remotely from their sovereign territories without a work permit even if you enter on a valid tourist visa. Many people do it because it is currently hard to enforce, but an employer could get into a lot of trouble if their workers are illegally working from a place where they do not have a proper work permit. Especially if that employer does business in that territory. A lot of large companies have policies that do not allow workers to do unauthorized work while abroad.

Yes, technically, on a tourist visa, you are not supposed to be working there. But... again, that rule was designed with protection of local businesses in mind. Also, if I go over to Germany right now, stay there for a month, then hop somewhere else, I don't need a visa to do that (unless I exceed 90 days within the EU region in a 180 day period). For windows of time like that, where no visa is required, what are the rules? It's very gray unfortunately. I think governments will have to come up with rules to address all of this quickly, as there's not much stopping folks from doing this now (aside from the covid restrictions).

austlar1 Aug 30, 2020 9:39 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/30/n...ng-demand.html

Fresh Aug 30, 2020 10:26 PM

We're ok here in Sydney but Melbourne is horrendous, not because of the virus (they are getting 100 or so a day down from 700 earlier in August) but because they've imposed possibly the most draconian lockdown rules in the Western World.

- Compulsory Facemasks outside
- No visitors to your house
- bars restaurants closed
- 8pm - 5am curfew
- Names and addresses must be provided on the spot, regardless of a crime being committed.
- 1 hour excercise a day only within 5km of your house

And unlike in the US where the 'governor's orders' are usually declined by local police forces, Victoria Police is aggressively and violently enforcing the laws.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Melbourne.html

There has been increasing stirrings of dissent over the last few days (particular amongst Muslim working class areas in the governing Labor party's heartlands) and a 'Freedom Day' rally planned for this Saturday - Police have been arresting the organizers and tracking down people posting on facebook

Truly awful what has happened to that great city and I hope we see a reckoning with the awful Daniel 'Dictator Dan' Andrews who has turned the place into a police state.

Qubert Aug 30, 2020 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9026957)
People have been moving from Paris to Lyon and Toulouse forever, and for some of the same reasons New Yorkers move to the Sunbelt (cheaper, better weather). I’d live in Lyon in a heartbeat.

France's medium sized, regional cities have always been underrated with the exception of Lyon. France definitely has the potential to become a multi-polar country in the vain of Italy, where Rome is clearly the "capital" but the identity and cultural/commercial pulse of the country is dispersed.

Quote:

You won’t see many Londoners decamp to Manchester or Leeds because they aren’t desirable places to live. They might work from home in the surrounding Home Counties, but in villages or country houses.

The UK is really a uniquely monopolar large country because London has the best of everything, if you can afford it. Cultural center, finance center, political center, legal center, entertainment center, food capital, best weather and closest/best transport links to Europe. There really is not a reason to live in another large UK city unless your family is from there or happen to really want a job at a company that is historically based in that city (or work at a university, etc). Moving to Manchester or Leeds is like moving to Cleveland or Rochester, NY (which someone I know actually did recently, because she just had a baby and her parents are there, not because she had some burning desire to live in Rochester).
There was a time when London itself was quite shabby aside from the usual districts. Shoreditch, Islington, Camden and Southwark did *not* look like they do today back in the 1980s. I don't see the UK being any more centralized than France, especially not with Scotland pretty much being tethered by a thread. Any of the midlands cities could offer an incredible urban experience if the investment was there.

Quote:

It’s just as possible that work from home hurts places that aren’t “cities of choice” because you no longer have to live there just because a career opportunity is there.
It's a chicken or egg argument. I'm not here to dismiss the above concept out of hand, but both Manchester and Bristol were able to ferment global reputations in the art and music world in their own right even with London being the behemoth it is. One could say that the "mass" of culture and offerings itself will disperse along with it's potential patrons/economic energy.

It will all balance in the end. NY, Paris, London, Tokyo, etc will never disappear (barring WWIII) but might simply become "cities" rather than all encompassing city states in their own right.

mhays Aug 30, 2020 10:43 PM

Hopefully that will mean you can open things up more quickly. Half-assed closures don't work very well.

SIGSEGV Aug 30, 2020 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9026957)
People have been moving from Paris to Lyon and Toulouse forever, and for some of the same reasons New Yorkers move to the Sunbelt (cheaper, better weather). I’d live in Lyon in a heartbeat.

You won’t see many Londoners decamp to Manchester or Leeds because they aren’t desirable places to live. They might work from home in the surrounding Home Counties, but in villages or country houses.

The UK is really a uniquely monopolar large country because London has the best of everything, if you can afford it. Cultural center, finance center, political center, legal center, entertainment center, food capital, best weather and closest/best transport links to Europe. There really is not a reason to live in another large UK city unless your family is from there or happen to really want a job at a company that is historically based in that city (or work at a university, etc). Moving to Manchester or Leeds is like moving to Cleveland or Rochester, NY (which someone I know actually did recently, because she just had a baby and her parents are there, not because she had some burning desire to live in Rochester).

It’s just as possible that work from home hurts places that aren’t “cities of choice” because you no longer have to live there just because a career opportunity is there.

Edinburgh seems nice, but Scotland may be a special case I guess.

chris08876 Aug 31, 2020 12:35 AM

NYC has been a lot more livelier in the past few weeks. Would recommend this channel, "ActionKid", he does walks/tours, biking, and sometimes driving through the city.

Walking tour. Somewhat from the looks of it feels like Sunday activity levels, even for a Monday, but better than a few months ago.

Video Link

Quote:

I take a walk in NYC's Midtown Manhattan from the 33rd Street (6) Subway Station to Times Square. Midtown has been getting livelier from recent months, although not to the same amount of crowds prior to the coronavirus pandemic. Tourists are starting to come back to the city. I also call an ambulance for someone along the way.
Walking NYC Midtown Manhattan from 33rd & Park to Times Square (August 17, 2020)

Good channel for those away from the city, but wanting to see whats up (folks out of state or not in the tri-state).

the urban politician Aug 31, 2020 1:51 AM

I think people are taking it in stride

It’s not April anymore where Covid is scary, lockdowns are new, and there is hope that this will last a few months

It’s looking like we’re in for the long haul, likely well into next year. People are having to live and have some normalcy. Plus, mask wearing at least offers some protection.

I think that explains why you see more people out and about

LA21st Aug 31, 2020 2:06 AM

Yea, April-May I didn't go anywhere. In the last couple of months, I'm out and about (with a mask) far more often. I was at the beach the last couple of weeks, even with busier crowds. Still keep a distance, but I'm not terrified like I was before. You have to get some normalcy back.

mrnyc Aug 31, 2020 2:23 AM

^ absolutely.

here in manhattan town i walked up to macys today. it was fine, not as crowded as usual, but steady busy. on the walk up the streeteries were busy. still saw a couple closed/boarded up things around.

after macys i walked around koreatown and grabbed some korean chow at the ktown grocery store. all of ktown 32nd street is an open streetery on both sides and it was all bangin mobbed this afternoon.

i caught the bus back home in front of msg. you can enter from the front again now. also, last free day for busses i think. there is a lot more traffic too. not normal, but its steadily coming back.

chris08876 Aug 31, 2020 2:27 AM

^^^

yeah it kinda feels like Sunday crowds. Its busy, but not hectic like 5 pm on Friday during rush hour.

A bit laid back. Like Chicago crowds pre pandemic almost :haha: .

Slowly but surely, it will come back.

Just kidding Chicago folks. :) ;)

xzmattzx Aug 31, 2020 3:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh (Post 9027366)
We're ok here in Sydney but Melbourne is horrendous, not because of the virus (they are getting 100 or so a day down from 700 earlier in August) but because they've imposed possibly the most draconian lockdown rules in the Western World.

- Compulsory Facemasks outside
- No visitors to your house
- bars restaurants closed
- 8pm - 5am curfew
- Names and addresses must be provided on the spot, regardless of a crime being committed.
- 1 hour excercise a day only within 5km of your house

And unlike in the US where the 'governor's orders' are usually declined by local police forces, Victoria Police is aggressively and violently enforcing the laws.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Melbourne.html

There has been increasing stirrings of dissent over the last few days (particular amongst Muslim working class areas in the governing Labor party's heartlands) and a 'Freedom Day' rally planned for this Saturday - Police have been arresting the organizers and tracking down people posting on facebook

Truly awful what has happened to that great city and I hope we see a reckoning with the awful Daniel 'Dictator Dan' Andrews who has turned the place into a police state.

Those are pretty rough. Reading that article you linked (although it was hard to find the article amongst the ads), I found this line:

Quote:

Huge fines of up to $19,826 for individuals and $99,132 for businesses will apply to anyone caught breaking the rules.
So someone could potentially be fined up to $19,000 for not wearing a mask? What if you don't have that kind of money, and make $50,000 a year? Do you go to jail for years because you didn't wear a mask one day? How far is the government willing to go to punish someone for not wearing a mask?

Draconian measures are ultimately counter-productive. When restrictions are too tough, normal people get sick of them and get complacent or side with the opposing fringe. There has to be some "give" with these things so the normal people are likely to comply and there is a minimization of people who will not follow the rules.

mhays Aug 31, 2020 4:53 AM

They said "up to." I doubt that low-middle wage earner you speak of is going to get fined that much. Maybe it's the rich+egregious rate.

SteveD Aug 31, 2020 2:17 PM

I had my first flight in over four months last week and didn't feel uncomfortable during any portions of the airport / flight / rental car / hotel stay.

My guy and I went out for dinner at our neighborhood commerical node last night to one of our favorite pubs. All outdoor seating, order and pay for food and drinks at a window, pick out your table, then get called over a loudspeaker to pick up food and drink when they're ready. It felt quasi-normal.

JManc Aug 31, 2020 3:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA21st (Post 9027536)
Yea, April-May I didn't go anywhere. In the last couple of months, I'm out and about (with a mask) far more often. I was at the beach the last couple of weeks, even with busier crowds. Still keep a distance, but I'm not terrified like I was before. You have to get some normalcy back.

Same here. I went to first restaurant about a month ago and have been another 5-6 times and even saw movie a week or so ago. I don't wear a mask outside (never have) as it's not really needed unless you're in close quarters. I've recently gone into stores to browse around (with a mask on of course) where as before, I would only go to grocery/ store and not be there longer than needed.

jd3189 Aug 31, 2020 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9027530)
I think people are taking it in stride

It’s not April anymore where Covid is scary, lockdowns are new, and there is hope that this will last a few months

It’s looking like we’re in for the long haul, likely well into next year. People are having to live and have some normalcy. Plus, mask wearing at least offers some protection.

I think that explains why you see more people out and about

Yeah, it’s not novel at this point. If we can get used to wearing masks for the next few months to a year, we will eventually have things open up like pre-COVID.

Honestly, if we practiced average clean hygiene like washing hands, hand sanitizer, covering during a cough, etc, COVID cases would go down dramatically at this point of the restriction. Vaccines would just be the icing on the cake to keep the curve low.

Before having to get it every year as a requirement for working in the hospitals, I went years without getting the flu vaccine and I never got the flu. Instead, I just took precautions around those who might have had it. Since COVID patients may be asymptomatic, precautions would have to be done for any person encountered.

But the point is that there’s a lot we can do besides wearing a mask to decrease the viral spread before a vaccine is available and it would allow us to return back to our normal lives quickly.

the urban politician Aug 31, 2020 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 9028053)
The other aspect is for those of us who haven't lost jobs and are working from home, we're just not spending anywhere near as much. No travel, no money spent on commuting, less money overall on restaurants, etc. So lots of people will have not only a lot of rolled-over vacation time, but a huge wad of cash to burn through.

For sure this is happening

Unfortunately, in my and my wife's situation, we both have to go to our jobs, although we are fortunate to still have them.

What complicates what you are saying is the fact that so many schools went to remote learning. Thus, child care and tutoring costs have now had an impact on people's bottom lines.

For us, we've had to hire a tutor who will come to our house 3-4 days per week to help with the kids' education, since we don't trust the quality of e-learning.

BG918 Sep 1, 2020 5:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9028019)
Same here. I went to first restaurant about a month ago and have been another 5-6 times and even saw movie a week or so ago. I don't wear a mask outside (never have) as it's not really needed unless you're in close quarters. I've recently gone into stores to browse around (with a mask on of course) where as before, I would only go to grocery/ store and not be there longer than needed.

We have been completely “back to normal” except for wearing a mask indoors. Now just need the kids school to open back up for in-person learning, hopefully in October. And for international travel to resume so we can take trips we had to reschedule earlier this year.

Fresh Sep 1, 2020 5:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xzmattzx (Post 9027644)
Those are pretty rough. Reading that article you linked (although it was hard to find the article amongst the ads), I found this line:

So someone could potentially be fined up to $19,000 for not wearing a mask? What if you don't have that kind of money, and make $50,000 a year? Do you go to jail for years because you didn't wear a mask one day? How far is the government willing to go to punish someone for not wearing a mask?

Draconian measures are ultimately counter-productive. When restrictions are too tough, normal people get sick of them and get complacent or side with the opposing fringe. There has to be some "give" with these things so the normal people are likely to comply and there is a minimization of people who will not follow the rules.

I suspect many of these fines will be thrown out, particularly if lots of people try to challenge them.

Over 10,000 people have been fined so far - and yes I completely agree, people will get fed up with the threats and with the arbitrary nature of the enforcement and revolt (to the extent that people 'revolt' in Australia haha) if it doesn't end soon.