SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | CNA Center (151 N. Franklin) | 568 FT | 36 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217443)

HomrQT Mar 28, 2018 3:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 8135270)
I almost prefer that it is cookie cutter at this height, otherwise it would be a shame for a 550 foot tall building with amazing design to completely hidden by bigger buildings that surround it.

Nice, simple, tall, square filler buildings can definitely be a good thing!

KWillChicago Mar 28, 2018 5:41 PM

As long as we get 130 franklin.

left of center Mar 28, 2018 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 8135920)
As long as we get 130 franklin.

Probably not until the next cycle. Too much office coming online now, from 151 N Franklin to all the projects in the West Loop. Not sure how much vacancy there is from 150 N Riverside and River Point that could also suck away demand for any more office built on spec.

MayorOfChicago Mar 29, 2018 3:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8136224)
Probably not until the next cycle. Too much office coming online now, from 151 N Franklin to all the projects in the West Loop. Not sure how much vacancy there is from 150 N Riverside and River Point that could also suck away demand for any more office built on spec.

When we opened 150 Riverside it was 85% leased and when we sold it last summer it had bumped up a bit. From my understanding River Point opened with 85% pre-leasing as well. There's probably some space left in those buildings, but themselves they aren't dumping much space out there - although they probably sucked up a lot of space that's been left empty in other buildings.

The old post office is what will glut the market next year and probably shut off the pipeline of anything else getting off the ground the next few years or so.

KWillChicago Mar 29, 2018 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago (Post 8136976)
When we opened 150 Riverside it was 85% leased and when we sold it last summer it had bumped up a bit. From my understanding River Point opened with 85% pre-leasing as well. There's probably some space left in those buildings, but themselves they aren't dumping much space out there - although they probably sucked up a lot of space that's been left empty in other buildings.

The old post office is what will glut the market next year and probably shut off the pipeline of anything else getting off the ground the next few years or so.

It would be a huge bummer if that site gets dropped offthe eyes of of future office tenants. Such a beautiful design. I hope we dont have to wait til 2028.

kolchak Mar 31, 2018 7:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 8133466)
3.26.2018 from the top of the Legacy

https://i.imgur.com/R2ZvACHh.jpg

Has someone bought the naming rights to the soon to be former CNA Building? I assume the sinage rights are saleable, no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8136224)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago (Post 8136976)

Don't forget 110 Wacker - 1.6 million sq feet on the way.

http://i66.tinypic.com/avr6sn.jpg

KWillChicago Mar 31, 2018 8:18 AM

If I remember correctly United had their signage up for a year after they moved from wacker to sears.

left of center Mar 31, 2018 7:54 PM

The signage/naming rights could have been bought by CNA, or given to them as a incentive to move into or remain in the building at some point when they were tenants. If it was the former, then the naming rights would continue until the contract is up, since the rights are bought and paid for. If its the latter, then the building owners can take down the signage and have it replaced at any time once CNA moves out.

spyguy Apr 1, 2018 6:03 PM

I thought I saw a rendering with the Northern Trust logo up on top...can't seem to find it anymore.

Edit: here it is
https://s17.postimg.org/8ff3mb0kv/image.jpg

gebs Apr 2, 2018 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 8139752)
I thought I saw a rendering with the Northern Trust logo up on top...can't seem to find it anymore.

Edit: here it is
https://s17.postimg.org/8ff3mb0kv/image.jpg

They showed an updated rendering at the Commercial Real Estate Awards. It's Northern Trust, and the sign looked far more elegant.

harryc Apr 15, 2018 12:44 PM

April 10

Zerton Apr 17, 2018 8:41 PM

Way too much going on at the lobby haha. Those architects need to learn to edit!

230Roberto Apr 17, 2018 9:05 PM

Did I miss some info on this lobby? I swear it feels like its been U/C for a year now.

Cheap_Shot Apr 17, 2018 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 230Roberto (Post 8158221)
Did I miss some info on this lobby? I swear it feels like its been U/C for a year now.

I had this same thought when I saw Harry's photos from the other day. I've walked by numerous times in the past and don't understand how it could be taking so long.

spyguy Apr 18, 2018 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerton (Post 8158180)
Way too much going on at the lobby haha. Those architects need to learn to edit!

Ronan is a very talented architect who should probably stick to small (but important) scaled buildings. This thing turned out much worse than I anticipated.

patriotizzy Apr 18, 2018 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerton (Post 8158180)

I don't get the impression that too much is going on. What exactly is too much here?

left of center Apr 18, 2018 8:09 PM

^ I think he means that it doesn't look cohesive, and I am in agreement with that. Looks like its trying to do a lot at once.

The lobby would have been the one sole interesting facet of this otherwise banal, architectural afterthought of a tower, and they managed screwed it up. Wonderful.

At least it will earn the city a good amount of property tax revenue compared to the Walgreens that used to occupy the site...

Kumdogmillionaire Apr 18, 2018 8:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patriotizzy (Post 8159388)
I don't get the impression that too much is going on. What exactly is too much here?

There's four contradicting design choices going against one another in the space in front of the lobby... It would be one thing if the tower was also wacky and postmodern, but it's a blue box. None of it makes any sense from a stylistic standpoint

Rizzo Apr 18, 2018 9:31 PM

The design spirit here is in such contrast to CNA’s existing home. The bright red boxy building is bold, simple and straightforward and memorable.

The new building tries to hide itself up-top and the lobby just doesn’t know what it wants to be with a mish-mash of generic design trends.

The most interesting thing about this entire project was that crane hung off the side of the building. The precariousness of that feature should have made its way into the structural offset at the corner.

harryc Apr 18, 2018 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 8159616)
The design spirit here is in such contrast to CNA’s existing home. The bright red boxy building is bold, simple and straightforward and memorable.

The new building tries to hide itself up-top and the lobby just doesn’t know what it wants to be with a mish-mash of genric design trends.

The most interesting thing about this entire project was that crane hung off the side of the building. The precariousness of that feature should have made its way into the structural offset at the corner.

Expect to see this steel cantilevered crane base again. There is currently one on Renelle, but it is not very obvious.