SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | Salesforce Tower | 850 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217949)

MorganChi Jan 2, 2020 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolchak (Post 8788665)
Fingers crossed. Imo this is the most important project to get in this cycle. With WPE and WPW built, that gap is very noticeable.

I imagine we will have barges for this one?

This is the third tallest building in this quarter right ?

IrishIllini Jan 2, 2020 4:55 PM

Is WPS also Walsh?

sox102 Jan 2, 2020 6:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishIllini (Post 8788701)
Is WPS also Walsh?

Yes

kolchak Jan 2, 2020 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorganChi (Post 8788667)
This is the third tallest building in this quarter right ?

If you mean after it starts the third tallest currently under construction, then yes. its essentially the exact same height as 1000M, though.

So if 1000M continues, we will have five 800 ft+ towers under construction at the same time. Wow

MorganChi Jan 2, 2020 7:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolchak (Post 8788802)
If you mean after it starts the third tallest currently under construction, then yes. its essentially the exact same height as 1000M, though.

So if 1000M continues, we will have five 800 ft+ towers under construction at the same time. Wow

What a time to be alive

Investing In Chicago Jan 2, 2020 7:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittsburghPA (Post 8788287)
A friend of mine told me yesterday his company was awarded the contract as one of the subs on WPS. Apparently construction should start "any day now"...Let's keep a close eye on the site and see if he is right. Apparently all of the WPE trailers have been removed from the site.

Piggy backing off this - my wife works for Salesforce, and was told something similar a few weeks ago...That construction will begin shortly after the first of the year, pending weather.

Steely Dan Jan 2, 2020 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolchak (Post 8788802)

add to that the recently completed OBP and NEMA, and that makes 7 towers over 800' in this boom, by far the largest number of such towers in any single chicago building cycle.

hell, back when i joined this forum in 1999, chicago only had 9 buildings over 800', total (it was the construction of park tower, the city's 10th 800+ footer, that initially led me to SSP), and here we are 2 decades later seeing 7 big towers all going up in one single building boom.

Skyguy_7 Jan 2, 2020 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorganChi (Post 8788817)
What a time to be alive

That's what I'm sayin! :cheers:

AMWChicago Jan 3, 2020 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8788896)
add to that the recently completed OBP and NEMA, and that makes 7 towers over 800' in this boom, by far the largest number of such towers in any single chicago building cycle.

hell, back when i joined this forum in 1999, chicago only had 9 buildings over 800', total (it was the construction of park tower, the city's 10th 800+ footer, that initially led me to SSP), and here we are 2 decades later seeing 7 big towers all going up in one single building boom.

That's mind boggling! The past decade of construction has been so gradual too. Many of these towers are going to feel and settle in so naturally to the fabric of the skyline. The 'Y' of the River in 2025 will feel like it has always had WP Towers, 110 Wacker, Riverpoint, and 150 N Riverside.

rivernorthlurker Jan 3, 2020 12:21 AM

Quote:

Before 2009 there were 10 800+ footers completed and 13 700+. When WPS breaks ground it will double it up to the 20th 800+ built and u/c and 29 for 700+. Almost hard to believe!

KWillChicago Jan 3, 2020 1:26 AM

If someone's in the area can we see that everything is cleared out on the wps site, pictures. Not that it means anyting but a good sign. I still wish this one got a hieght increase but beggers cant be choosers.

KWillChicago Jan 3, 2020 1:30 AM

This one will be incredible to watch with the limited space. Barges, most definetly. Tunnel from wpe will be crowded. Amazing what is going to accur to develop this site.

dweeprise Jan 3, 2020 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittsburghPA (Post 8788287)
A friend of mine told me yesterday his company was awarded the contract as one of the subs on WPS. Apparently construction should start "any day now"...Let's keep a close eye on the site and see if he is right. Apparently all of the WPE trailers have been removed from the site.

They're probably a month away at best from getting a permit. The first permit is for caisson foundation and structure up to grade for a 58 story office building.

jc5680 Jan 3, 2020 4:36 PM

^ Just to add, when I walked by yesterday all the trailers were still there along with all the usual equipment and materials for WPE. Nothing looked particularly imminent for WPS.

Steely Dan Jan 3, 2020 4:41 PM

i've continued the increasingly off-topic greater building boom discussion in the general discussions thread.

please continue there: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...37#post8789637

SteelMonkey Jan 4, 2020 12:18 AM

From an article today in the Tribune....

Construction is set to begin in March on Salesforce Tower, the third and final building on the Wolf Point site that Hines and the Kennedy family are developing on the river near the Merchandise Mart. Salesforce has leased 500,000 square feet, with plans to add at least 1,000 Chicago employees in the next few years. The new skyscraper is expected to open in 2023.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...wjq-story.html

Blahshead Jan 4, 2020 3:20 AM

Quote:

hell, back when i joined this forum in 1999, chicago only had 9 buildings over 800'

Amazing that you've been here for two decades. So great to see a forum like this still alive.

SolarWind Jan 4, 2020 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 8789629)
^ Just to add, when I walked by yesterday all the trailers were still there along with all the usual equipment and materials for WPE. Nothing looked particularly imminent for WPS.

January 3, 2020

PittsburghPA Jan 4, 2020 7:59 PM

My apologies for the bad info. There must have been some unintentional misinformation from my buddy. He usually is spot on with his stuff. Makes perfect sense the foundation permit needs to be issued. Either way they are locking up subs and Walsh has been secured so we'll definitely be seeing this one rise this year which I'm excited about!

Donnie77 Jan 4, 2020 10:55 PM

With how good East and West turned out i'm not worried in the least about South....