SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Wrigley Field Redevelopment News (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146817)

the urban politician Mar 22, 2016 8:32 PM

^ There's more to commercial strips than a bunch of bars and drunk people.

It would be nice to see a mix (shopping, restaurants, bars) so that this strip would see activity at all times of the day, including during the off-season.

Not that I don't disagree that the design is sterile, but if the criticism is that it will add a broader range of retail mixes than the row of bars that are already there, I'm not sure I agree.

Jibba Mar 22, 2016 9:16 PM

The unit density could be a lot higher. As it is, it's comparable to a -2/-3 MLA for most zoning types.

VKChaz Mar 22, 2016 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 7379981)
^ There's more to commercial strips than a bunch of bars and drunk people.

It would be nice to see a mix (shopping, restaurants, bars) so that this strip would see activity at all times of the day, including during the off-season.

Not that I don't disagree that the design is sterile, but if the criticism is that it will add a broader range of retail mixes than the row of bars that are already there, I'm not sure I agree.

Perhaps more retail is welcome in that general area, but the goal in the city should be to stretch out retail over an area, not concentrate it into a single shopping center. I think that should be a concern with any of these large, multi-level entertainment/shopping centers in the neighborhoods.

ardecila Mar 23, 2016 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jibba (Post 7380043)
The unit density could be a lot higher. As it is, it's comparable to a -2/-3 MLA for most zoning types.

Maybe. But that would make the building itself gigantic and out-of-scale to Wrigley.

Plus, I'm not sure what the demand is to actually live at the corner of Clark and Addison. People enjoy living in Wrigleyville, but I'm not sure they would enjoy living at the dead center of the congestion and rowdiness.

I think the business plan probably counts on a smaller number of units targeted at wealthy out-of-state members of Cubbie Nation who want a convenient place to stay when they come to cheer on the team, but won't live there full-time. People like the Ricketts, basically...

Rizzo Mar 23, 2016 1:27 AM

It's crazy how wrigleyville was the holy grail of ballpark neighborhoods. Grimey, worn out cheap bars...you know what it should be. And then other cities would in some way copy the Wrigleyvile spirit and vintage charm. But they would never get it right.

Then the neighborhoods become a bit wealthier, the number of post grads with deeper pockets began to take seats at the bars demanding $6-$8 craft beers...and suddenly...the land becomes more valuable and renewal begins

Part of me says good riddance. I've not liked what it has become though I hate to see the buildings go. Two years from now when I buy my own home it will be away from this neighborhood and I'll care little for 'ye old wrigleyville ballparke district". I'll come to the games and then promptly leave.

J_M_Tungsten Mar 23, 2016 2:41 AM

Still have the SW corner of Clark/Addison. That and the McDonald's are really the only things I remember when growing up and went to games (rarely go up that way now). Also, I'll take a 2 dollar beer OR an 8 dollar beer :cheers:

VKChaz Mar 23, 2016 3:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 7380346)
It's crazy how wrigleyville was the holy grail of ballpark neighborhoods. Grimey, worn out cheap bars...you know what it should be. And then other cities would in some way copy the Wrigleyvile spirit and vintage charm. But they would never get it right.

Do the Ricketts have a hand in some of this development? This kind of development has become the norm around the country. Areas around stadiums have become an opportunity for generic, revenue-generating entertainment districts, often as an extension of the team-owner's interests.

aaron38 Mar 23, 2016 2:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Servo (Post 7379927)
A fitness center, clothing retailers, and a movie theater complex in the center of this city's biggest bar district? I really hate all this change coming to Wrigley.

Yeah, how dare the residents of Lakeview go to the gym, buy a nice shirt or see a movie in February or during a 6 game road trip! Don't they know they're only allowed to drink beer, wear Cubs gear and weigh 300 pounds? This is Wrigley dammit!

maru2501 Mar 23, 2016 3:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 7380850)
Yeah, how dare the residents of Lakeview go to the gym, buy a nice shirt or see a movie in February or during a 6 game road trip! Don't they know they're only allowed to drink beer, wear Cubs gear and weigh 300 pounds? This is Wrigley dammit!

agree

Vlajos Mar 23, 2016 4:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 7380850)

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 7380878)
agree

Yeah, sounds awful. :rolleyes:

maru2501 Mar 23, 2016 4:16 PM

what would bill murray do

Via Chicago Mar 23, 2016 4:43 PM

the only redeeming parts of Wrigleyville are Metro/Smartbar, and maybe Guthries.

lu9 Mar 23, 2016 5:57 PM

^ and... ummm... Wrigley?

Via Chicago Mar 23, 2016 6:13 PM

i avoid the neighborhood like the plague any gameday

ive pretty much fallen out of love with professional sports. overpaid spoiled adults playing childrens games while being managed by massive corporations no longer does anything for me. and the gameday "scene" is overwhelmingly an excuse for even more adults to act like children. frankly, the children behave better.

Kumdogmillionaire Mar 23, 2016 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 7381201)
i avoid the neighborhood like the plague any gameday

ive pretty much fallen out of love with professional sports. overpaid spoiled adults playing childrens games while being managed by massive corporations no longer does anything for me. and the gameday "scene" is overwhelmingly an excuse for even more adults to act like children. frankly, the children behave better.

I hope I never grow to hate life and fun things like you have :uhh:

MayorOfChicago Mar 23, 2016 8:06 PM

Wow, I just walked down Clark from Foster to Addison and then down Addison to my condo at 900 W Addison area. Wrigley and the surrounding area is ALL tore up, it was a feast for the eyes. They're doing a crap load of curb and street work as well today ripping up all the corners and digging way down in the street/curb area, dumping concrete around hydrants.

Between the office building going up, all the street work, the plaza work, stadium work and now all the activity at the site of the former McDonalds it was like walking through complete chaos. It'll be very interesting to see how this all pans out over the next few weeks. Wrigley opens in 2.5 weeks and it's a MESS right now. I can't see how they'll get it done, but they had an army of people crawing over that entire area.

As far as Addison and Clark development, I was SO glad yesterday when I read it's going to start within the next few weeks. All those businesses on Addison are already shut down and starting to get covered with garbage. That stretch was probably one of the ugliest blocks within miles. There's nothing special about that area of Clark as well. I'm not overly excited about the style of the building, but i'm ALL FOR building it compared to what's there now and how long it would take to get anything else teed off.

To get new restaurants, a gym and a THEATRE just 800 feet from my house and into the heart of Lakeview. Yes yes yes.

Via Chicago Mar 23, 2016 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 7381320)
I hope I never grow to hate life and fun things like you have :uhh:

our definitions of fun differ. my time is precious. expand your horizons and you too may find theres more to life than watching adults chasing balls in pajamas.

lu9 Mar 23, 2016 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 7381403)
our definitions of fun differ. expand your horizons and you too may find theres more to life than watching adults chasing balls in pajamas.

With all do respect Via Chicago... there are plenty of other neighborhoods where one can choose to spend his/her time. The city of neighborhoods...

EDIT: I've re-read what you wrote above.. and see that you've already acknowledged you are choosing not to spend time there. Got it. Carry on.

ardecila Mar 23, 2016 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 7380346)
Part of me says good riddance. I've not liked what it has become though I hate to see the buildings go. Two years from now when I buy my own home it will be away from this neighborhood and I'll care little for 'ye old wrigleyville ballparke district". I'll come to the games and then promptly leave.

You're gettin old, man.... :D

untitledreality Mar 24, 2016 1:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 7381403)
our definitions of fun differ. my time is precious. expand your horizons and you too may find theres more to life than watching adults chasing balls in pajamas.

Such as anonymously belittling the lifestyles of strangers on the internet?