SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | BMO Tower | 727 FT | 50 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224752)

left of center Nov 2, 2021 6:27 PM

BMO is one slick tower. Love the angle, gleaming modernist glass rising over art deco limestone.

sentinel Nov 2, 2021 6:30 PM

While I like this tower more than the other glassy office highrises built over the past 5-7 years, it's nevertheless weird to see the monotonous, highly reflective glass when coming into the city from the Eisenhower..it unfortunately creates a 'wall' of reflectivity that prevents you from city a lot of the City's highrise texture within the Loop and further east.

gandalf612 Nov 3, 2021 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 9440673)
While I like this tower more than the other glassy office highrises built over the past 5-7 years, it's nevertheless weird to see the monotonous, highly reflective glass when coming into the city from the Eisenhower..it unfortunately creates a 'wall' of reflectivity that prevents you from city a lot of the City's highrise texture within the Loop and further east.

I'm fine with drivers not having nice views

sentinel Nov 3, 2021 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gandalf612 (Post 9441505)
I'm fine with drivers not having nice views

Wtf? It's not just about drivers, it's about the view from anywhere west of the loop looking east.

ardecila Nov 3, 2021 7:42 PM

I don't have an issue with the skyline impact of BMO from the west. It's actually a nice bookend to BofA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc

Steely Dan Nov 3, 2021 8:15 PM

^ AND BONUS!!!

it helps conceal 311 S Wacker from the drive in on the ike!

left of center Nov 3, 2021 9:47 PM

^ But 311 is such a great example of 80s/90s PoMo! :haha:

It would have been nice if BMO was a block north or south of 311, if only to fill in/bulk up the skyline further. But we cant get everything we want. I am still very pleased with this new skyline addition.

thegoatman Nov 4, 2021 4:14 AM

In any other American city not named New York, this would be a skyline defining building. But here it just seems like a decent infill building.

And it's crazy how the sears just engulfs every other building. What a stunner.

thegoatman Nov 9, 2021 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toasty Joe (Post 9446101)
this tower needs 15-20 more floors and ~2 more setbacks. Proportions look off. Hopefully we see a BCBS-like addition in the next 15 years...

The best part of the development isn't even the building itself, it's the park everybody's excited for.

the urban politician Nov 10, 2021 1:31 PM

^ Are people actually excited about this park? It seems like another one of those uninviting corporate parks, at least by the renderings

rgarri4 Nov 10, 2021 2:11 PM

Back when I used to heavily use the Megabus to travel id have to sit on my luggage or literally on the side walk. I think the bus stop has since moved but I would have loved to have a park right there .

Chisouthside Nov 10, 2021 2:38 PM

That whole area was/still is kinda bleak. a nice corporate park would be a nice improvement.

ardecila Nov 10, 2021 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgarri4 (Post 9447059)
Back when I used to heavily use the Megabus to travel id have to sit on my luggage or literally on the side walk. I think the bus stop has since moved but I would have loved to have a park right there .

Could it be a great public space, in a great location? Absolutely.

Will it be an over-policed and sterile cut-through for commuters? Most likely. The grade change doesn't help either. We keep getting these plazas that are just built as a "green slipcover" on parking garages, but nobody wants to hike up a flight of steps to enjoy a park. This isn't San Francisco...

harryc Nov 12, 2021 11:27 PM

Nov 7

SolarWind Nov 23, 2021 2:34 AM

November 22, 2021

thegoatman Nov 23, 2021 3:31 AM

That park is gonna be great, what you guys think?

Gedung Tinngi Nov 23, 2021 6:13 AM

Fantastic photos, SolarWind!
#1 and #7 - Wow!

This part of downtown really needed and deserved an anchor. A building that created an identity. This really fills that roll.

Can't wait for the garden/park to reveal itself and be finished.

untitledreality Nov 23, 2021 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegoatman (Post 9458809)
That park is gonna be great, what you guys think?

I stand by what I said nearly three years ago:

Quote:

Originally Posted by untitledreality (Post 8412311)
The pedestrian outlook for both Clinton and Van Buren looks dire. These stupid plinth parks seemingly always come at the expense of the pedestrian experience.

While Van Buren doesn't appear as bad as I had expected, Clinton is spot on awful.

untitledreality Nov 23, 2021 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gedung Tinngi (Post 9458885)
This part of downtown really needed and deserved an anchor. A building that created an identity. This really fills that roll.

Generic faceless corporatocracy?

The resurgence of OPO and Union Station are the true void fillers.

rivernorthlurker Nov 24, 2021 1:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untitledreality (Post 9459520)
I stand by what I said nearly three years ago:

While Van Buren doesn't appear as bad as I had expected, Clinton is spot on awful.

Two out of four sides ain't bad!

Klippenstein Nov 25, 2021 2:17 AM

OPO’s Park is pretty dead even though it has much better views. I’m looking forward to how this one turns out. It seems like it’s gonna be big enough to have some appeal. Plus there’s a cut through the building so I suspect there will be some organic foot traffic through here.

gandalf612 Nov 25, 2021 3:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klippenstein (Post 9460742)
OPO’s Park is pretty dead even though it has much better views. I’m looking forward to how this one turns out. It seems like it’s gonna be big enough to have some appeal. Plus there’s a cut through the building so I suspect there will be some organic foot traffic through here.

That will change once more of the tenants actually build out and move into their spaces. Sure OPO is 90% leased but what percent is actually moved in?

ardecila Nov 28, 2021 2:57 AM

I believe the OPO Plaza (at the river side) will flow into the food hall planned on the interior, so that should activate it a lot.

As I mentioned before, I don't think the BMO plaza will be as good as everyone seems to think. Has anyone actually tried to hang out in the plaza/park space at River Point? Or Wolf Point? Or 150 N Riverside? I ate with friends at Gibsons Italia a few months ago and we went out to the River Point park to take a group photo, the security guards shooed us away within seconds. And we were paying customers who were dressed nicely. No, BMO will overpolice their plaza to keep homeless people away, and harass anybody who tries to sit down unless they're wearing a suit and carrying a sandwich between the hours of 11am-1pm. I hope I am proved wrong but I'm not optimistic.

SolarWind Dec 9, 2021 11:12 PM

December 7, 2021

The last picture is from the 320 South Canal Street #1 camera
https://app.oxblue.com/open/clarkcon...erconstruction

rivernorthlurker Dec 9, 2021 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarWind (Post 9472646)
December 7, 2021

The last picture is from the 320 South Canal Street #1 camera
https://app.oxblue.com/open/clarkcon...erconstruction

Thanks so much for these Solar :) Also send my regards to Camera #1 - first I've seen the park from above.

harryc Dec 24, 2021 7:31 PM

Dec 18

harryc Jan 23, 2022 4:11 AM

Jan 21

SolarWind May 12, 2022 12:16 AM

BMO Tower - 320 S Canal

May 9, 2022

jpIllInoIs May 13, 2022 2:02 PM

WOW!!
:worship::worship::worship:

gttx May 13, 2022 2:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs (Post 9624237)
WOW!!
:worship::worship::worship:

I think you mean...

VVV

!!!

colemonkee Jun 7, 2022 1:52 PM

The park space looks nice enough and will only get nicer as the trees mature over time.

thegoatman Jun 24, 2022 7:15 PM

This tower is officially finished. Ribbon cutting was yesterday

https://twitter.com/chicagosamir/sta...1-cn6QJfEYSi2A

SolarWind Jul 18, 2022 1:56 AM

July 12, 2022

left of center Jul 18, 2022 2:32 AM

Wow, that's a pretty attractive park! Nice place to sit if you got time to burn before your train at Union arrives.

Thanks for the photos, Solar!