SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Salesforce Tower | 850 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217949)

Steely Dan Nov 9, 2018 2:48 PM

oh, the old shampoo bottles. :no:

i remember at the time trying to talk myself on board with those designs.

it was quite the challenge.

whatever criticisms can be rightfully lobbed at the current WPE and WPS designs, i think we can all agree that "at least we're not getting stuck with a pair of shampoo bottles at wolf point".

Zapatan Nov 9, 2018 2:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8374022)
oh, the old shampoo bottles. :no:

It would have gone great with the giant deodorant stick across the river :shrug:

Quote:

For anyone really concerned about height - remember the original 755’ proposal?
Exactly

Donnie77 Nov 9, 2018 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 (Post 8374017)
^^Agreed. Looks like some turd you'd see in Hudson Yards.

Amen :cheers:

k1052 Nov 28, 2018 4:00 PM

Traffic study being conducted on Kinzie...

:whistle:

Natoma Nov 28, 2018 8:56 PM

A friend of mine met with someone from Hines yesterday and I fed him some questions to ask. The Hines guy said that they knew they were never going to get to 950 from the beginning. The 950 renderings were more of a creative exercise.

If they did go for 950, they'd have to jam so many elevator shafts that floorplans on those upper floors would be useless as offices. And they'd also take away from the lower floors. Apparently the only possibility for those upper floors was some type of small, needle-ey, exclusive hotel. (Which explains the original mixed use office/hotel plan) But the Hines guy said the economics of the hotel didn't work.

gebs Nov 28, 2018 9:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natoma (Post 8393128)
A friend of mine met with someone from Hines yesterday and I fed him some questions to ask. The Hines guy said that they knew they were never going to get to 950 from the beginning. The 950 renderings were more of a creative exercise.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/c4/1b/9e/c...ael-okeefe.jpg

Zapatan Nov 28, 2018 9:30 PM

Quote:

If they did go for 950, they'd have to jam so many elevator shafts that floorplans on those upper floors would be useless as offices. And they'd also take away from the lower floors. Apparently the only possibility for those upper floors was some type of small, needle-ey, exclusive hotel. (Which explains the original mixed use office/hotel plan) But the Hines guy said the economics of the hotel didn't work.

Couldn't a sky lobby have solved this?

But oh well, the current plan is fine I think.

LouisVanDerWright Nov 28, 2018 9:48 PM

Quote:

Makes total sense, the efficiency of a building like this, particularly one this skinny, goes wayyyy down if you start muddling it up with mixed use and too many tiers of elevators. Oh well, this will still be a substantial building. Tallest office tower in the city in decades.

simon07 Nov 28, 2018 9:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8393172)
Makes total sense, the efficiency of a building like this, particularly one this skinny, goes wayyyy down if you start muddling it up with mixed use and too many tiers of elevators. Oh well, this will still be a substantial building. Tallest office tower in the city in decades.

It's fine. We have so much land in Chicago...BUILD BUILD BUILD!!!

k1052 Nov 28, 2018 9:58 PM

Deletion of the hotel component is also sure to please a certain alderman. Will help smooth the way on whatever asks Salesforce might still have.

Chi-Sky21 Nov 28, 2018 9:59 PM

Another reason they should have just gone for 2 bigger towers on site instead of 3

r18tdi Nov 29, 2018 3:52 PM

We might hear something official from CRM very soon.

RedCorsair87 Nov 29, 2018 5:40 PM

Awesome to hear!

maru2501 Nov 30, 2018 2:21 AM

Tribune says Salesforce announcement is tomorrow. 1,000 jobs

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...128-story.html

Zapatan Nov 30, 2018 2:29 AM

The article mentioned 813 feet. If true that's really disappointing. 844' was just high enough to matter here.

It seems there not even starting construction for a year or so, maybe that figure will change?

Steely Dan Nov 30, 2018 2:32 AM

^ the article says 60 floors, 813'.

But I believe the 58 floors, 844' height figures we have in the thread title came from someone who saw actual drawings, so we'll leave those in place for now because journalists are notorious for getting these details wrong.

Zapatan Nov 30, 2018 2:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8394703)
^ the article says 60 floors, 813'.

But I believe the 58 floors, 844' height figures we have in the thread title came from someone who saw actual drawings, so we'll leave those in place for now because journalists are notorious for getting thsee details wrong.

This is true, people are terrible with numerical figures. Which is odd because it's not that difficult to get a number right.

Steely Dan Nov 30, 2018 2:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 8394706)
This is true, people are terrible with numerical figures. Which is odd because it's not that difficult to get a number right.

Most often they're just repeating bad, outdated, or generic (non-technical) information.

Reporters generally aren't looking at actual DD/CD drawings and calculating the height figures themselves, they're just reporting the info they've been given.

In this case, the roof may very well be 813', but there might also be a screen wall above that takes the total height to 844'.

the urban politician Nov 30, 2018 2:47 AM

500,000 sf has got to be holding way the hell more than just 1000 employees

Anyhow, looks like this one will be a go

ChiTown1334 Nov 30, 2018 2:51 AM

Thumbs Up from Me

Also read that the plan is to take occupancy in 2022 which gives us a nice projected timeline. Good news overall. Salesforce having a good size presence in Chicago is a win in itself and guarantees the 3rd tower at WolfPoint in the near future.