SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

PHX31 Mar 23, 2016 10:40 PM

Aren't there parts of Hance that aren't above the tunnel? Like on the fringes?

azliam Mar 23, 2016 10:54 PM

I thought the Pin was OK, but still somehow reminded me of a water tower. I actually liked something similar to this tower (that I posted in an earlier post) better for Phoenix:

http://inhabitat.com/sustainable-spi...i/xten-lead01/

The thing that I liked about it was that it almost looked like a bird in flight (my partner says a whale's tail) and I believe one that somewhat resembled a Phoenix would look pretty neat, especially if lit up at night.

Obadno Mar 23, 2016 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7381593)
same here, loved the design. Anyways, just realized the original proposed location was on the South Convention Center site. If this did go through, where would the new Suns arena go!? :tup:

IN MESA WITH THE JOINT COYOTES ASU STADIUM OF COURSE:hell:

As much as that Idea sucks I can nightmare it happening.

dtnphx Mar 24, 2016 4:16 PM

From the Business Real Estate Weekly March 25, 2016

AMSTAR PROVIDING EQUITY FOR MICRO UNITS IN DOWNTOWN PHOENIX & OPTIMA KIERLAND CONDOS
Phoenix/Scottsdale – Amstar Group LLC in Denver, Colo. (Gabe Finke, CEO), a global real estate manger, is providing equity for the development of 211 furnished, micro-unit apartments in a 19-story tower in downtown Phoenix being called The Derby, and phase one of the Optima Kierland Center residential-hotel project at the northwest corner of Scottsdale Road and Kierland Boulevard. The privately-owned Amstar, with $2.3 + billion in assets, acquires, develops and manages all major property types in the U.S. and
select international markets. Ascentris, formerly known as Amstar Advisers, is an SEC registered investment adviser overseeing the Valley projects for Amstar. The company has teamed up with Transwestern of Houston, Tex. (Robert Duncan, chairman) to develop the downtown Phoenix micro-unit apartment units on less than a third of an acre at the northwest corner of 2nd and McKinley streets. Amstar/McKinkey LLC is buying the 14,157-square-foot high-rise site in a $985,000 sale set to close in April. The two contiguous parcels, at 802 and 806 N. 2nd Street, are owned by Mojave Enterprises LLC in Phoenix (Tracy Ferring, principal). Michael Lieb of Michael A. Lieb Ltd. in Phoenix is brokering the sale. Plans include 14 levels of apartments over a five-story parking garage with mostly studio apartments ranging from 350 sq. ft. to 438 sq. ft. Monthly rental rates would average around $1,300. The developer is asking Phoenix to develop the project using a tax incentive program called a GPLET (Government Property Lease Excise Tax). In northeast Phoenix, Amstar and Opitma Real Estate Inc. in Glencoe, Ill. (David C. Hovey, pres.) are jointly working to develop Optima Kierland Center on a 7.53-acre site once partly occupied by a Robb & Stucky furniture store. That two-phased project initially is targeted for a mid-rise with 220 for sale condominiums averaging about 1,150 sq. ft. that are priced from the $600,000's. In all, there are 660 multi-family units in three, 12-story buildings and a 10-story hotel structure. Get more from Daniel Cohen of Ascentris at (303) 317-6464. Brendan O’Leary of Transwestern is at (281) 703-6899. David Hovey, Jr. is the contact for Optima Kierland in Scottsdale . . . reach him at (480) 874-9900. Call Lieb at (602) 870-9741.

Jjs5056 Mar 24, 2016 6:10 PM

Unfortunately, Civic Space is essentially an ASU 'quad' now that they own and have SunCard-protected all of the surrounding real estate. I also think something like The Pin would be out of scale for the size of the park and clash with the condom sculpture.

I was always 'for' the pin. I am sure I have said this, but I think Symphony Hall needs to be knocked down and rebuilt on the Chase garage site to allow for the CC expansion to be contiguous. A new 'icon' observation tower would then be built into the new lobby at the terminus of the Adams Street 'activation corridor.' I don't care what shape the top takes, but think it would be silly not to have the elevators lit up in a way that didn't make it look like a Phoenix rising each time to the very top.

The Hyatt and its garage would also be demo'd; the hotel replaced by a dual-concept Hyatt Regency and Hyatt House (underground parking), and the garage replaced with a new History museum, iPic theater, and the existing Latino cultural space on floors 2-4 over retail, and office space on top of the western portion. A sky-bridge would connect the museums and theater to the lobby of the 'pin' and to the Hyatt restaurant/bar space, doubling as space to watch events held on Adams.

/dream. Because... just, because... here is what I was thinking:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1494/...18bfb89a_c.jpg

KingLouieLouie76 Mar 24, 2016 9:41 PM

Hmmmm...this is becoming interesting... http://arizonasports.com/story/60482...e-field-lease/

Perhaps the Dbacks and Suns can share some sports complex with the Yotes?

PHXFlyer11 Mar 24, 2016 9:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingLouieLouie76 (Post 7382830)
Hmmmm...this is becoming interesting... http://arizonasports.com/story/60482...e-field-lease/

Perhaps the Dbacks and Suns can share some sports complex with the Yotes?

Wow. That is really really sad. I bet they are trying to get the tribe to build them a new stadium in Scottsdale. This would be a TERRIBLE idea. Spring Training is one thing, 81 home games a year is another. They need to be downtown. Chase Field is far from ideal, but the audacity of the DBacks thinking they deserve a new stadium after 18 years is atrocious.

And I am VERY supportive of local sports and stadiums for this, but we have to solve for the Suns and Coyotes first.

ASU Diablo Mar 24, 2016 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7382851)
Wow. That is really really sad. I bet they are trying to get the tribe to build them a new stadium in Scottsdale. This would be a TERRIBLE idea. Spring Training is one thing, 81 home games a year is another. They need to be downtown. Chase Field is far from ideal, but the audacity of the DBacks thinking they deserve a new stadium after 18 years is atrocious.

And I am VERY supportive of local sports and stadiums for this, but we have to solve for the Suns and Coyotes first.

UPDATE:

Just heard on 98.7 that the DBacks are willing to take Maricopa County to court. Apparently, the County hasn't been doing their part in "upkeeping" the stadium as part of leasing terms. They want to stay in downtown but stadium needs $187M for renovations

"The Maricopa County Stadium District has made clear that it will not be able to meet its obligations to fund financial reserves for capital improvements, which it now estimates to be at least $187 million for the remaining life of the stadium. This spiral is insurmountable and will result in a Chase Field that will no longer be a state-of-the-art facility as our agreement requires."

Obadno Mar 24, 2016 10:13 PM

:hell::frog:Absolutely redicoulous, they are going to try to bamboozle the City/County into buying new stadiums. Stanton better get on the phone the Diamonbacks have no need for a new stadium I would do everything I could to keep them there until 2028.

*** This is why cities shouldn't pay for stadiums :hell::hell: They are always a rip-off

Classical in Phoenix Mar 24, 2016 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7382855)
UPDATE:

Just heard on 98.7 that the DBacks are willing to take Maricopa County to court. Apparently, the County hasn't been doing their part in "upkeeping" the stadium as part of leasing terms. They want to stay in downtown but stadium needs $187M for renovations

"The Maricopa County Stadium District has made clear that it will not be able to meet its obligations to fund financial reserves for capital improvements, which it now estimates to be at least $187 million for the remaining life of the stadium. This spiral is insurmountable and will result in a Chase Field that will no longer be a state-of-the-art facility as our agreement requires."

Just heard on the same station they want to stay downtown. I do like Chase Field, hard to believe it is the forth oldest in National League.:shrug:

ASU Diablo Mar 24, 2016 10:18 PM

^^

It's not the City of Phoenix LOL it's Maricopa County. What the DBacks are trying to do are explore other options to help finance the renovations. These options include the City of Phoenix and other commercial options. Simply, Maricopa County said they can't help pay for capital improvements that are needed and the county might be in breach of contract.

Anyways, Derick Hall has stated they wished to stay in downtown (AWESOME). Listen to 98.7 for anyone that's interested

CrestedSaguaro Mar 24, 2016 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix (Post 7382900)
Just heard on the same station they want to stay downtown. I do like Chase Field, hard to believe it is the forth oldest in National League.:shrug:

WOW. Looks like after the statements the Maricopa County reps just made, this is going to get really messy! I bet Glendale will be glad to get off the radar :haha:

Obadno Mar 25, 2016 8:43 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...or-office.html

Did we go over this? This is good! That office complex has been sitting like a big abandoned house for years!

CrestedSaguaro Mar 25, 2016 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7383762)
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...or-office.html

Did we go over this? This is good! That office complex has been sitting like a big abandoned house for years!

I seen them tearing the building down, but never enquired as to what was going on. I can't see the whole article though. Can you post it with renderings I they are available?

Obadno Mar 25, 2016 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7383789)
I seen them tearing the building down, but never enquired as to what was going on. I can't see the whole article though. Can you post it with renderings I they are available?

I cant see the article but you can see the images on the slide show.

They are demolishing the one short building for a garage and then doing a modern interior update for the 2 main buildings.

In other news has everyone heared? we have finally surpassed 2007 at most number of employed people! Yay!

PHXFlyer11 Mar 25, 2016 9:28 PM

Damn Power Lines

So I noticed some movement on Edison finally today. Looks like crews did a little utility work, although there are still lines up and a tractor on site.

On 3rd and Thomas crews continue to work around the lines that bisect the land, but I don't know how much more can be done until the lines are removed.

On 3rd and Roosevelt they are not even attempting to break ground yet as lines are all over that lot as well.

CrestedSaguaro Mar 25, 2016 9:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7383802)
So I noticed some movement on Edison finally today. Looks like crews did a little utility work, although there are still lines up and a tractor on site.

On 3rd and Thomas crews continue to work around the lines that bisect the land, but I don't know how much more can be done until the lines are removed.

On 3rd and Roosevelt they are not even attempting to break ground yet as lines are all over that lot as well.

Great news about something going on with Edison, even if it is just a couple of guys and a tractor. I have nearly declared it dead. It's a great development and I'd hate to see it fall through.

PHXFlyer11 Mar 25, 2016 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7383813)
Great news about something going on with Edison, even if it is just a couple of guys and a tractor. I have nearly declared it dead. It's a great development and I'd hate to see it fall through.

Funny thing is I was just thinking the same thing after I saw what looked like a homeless man spinning a sign for Edison on the corner of Thomas and Central. I was like wow, they must really be desperate to get a sign flipper.

azsunsurfer Mar 27, 2016 9:06 PM

I was near the Biltmore this weekend....

F21, nice that they are building a door that fronts the intersection. Too bad I doubt it will be used since that area is not really pedestrianized yet.

SWC of Highland and 16th street...man that is a huge garage! I hope the building will hide most of it! Looks like the concrete pillars on the first floor are done.

SWC of Highland and 24th street....same thing lol- huge garage! Masonry elevator shafts seems to be near completed so they will probably start going vertical soon. I believe this is just the apartments not sure when the hotel and/or condos are happening.

phoenixwillrise Mar 28, 2016 4:08 AM

Total B.S. from the D'Backs

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7382997)
WOW. Looks like after the statements the Maricopa County reps just made, this is going to get really messy! I bet Glendale will be glad to get off the radar :haha:

The stadium isn't that old and the county has put 40 million into it since it opened. They obviously know something ,like the tribe is willing to pony up for a new dome in Scottsdale. Hell Boston has played in the same dump since 1912 and these clowns are whining about a palace that was built for them in 1998'. Unlike Jerry Colangelo these carpetbaggers could care less about downtown Phoenix. It's all about the Dollars, these greedy weasels.