SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Obadno Aug 30, 2019 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8673821)
I was wondering on the residential myself. You would think that a lot of the Creighton students may want to live right around there and I'm wondering if they plan on trying to have the residential ready for the students?

With the Earl, Broad stone Osborn, Alta Midtown, Pure Midtown, The Astor and a dozen other complexes near done or finished in the last couple years I think they'll be good for a while.

CrestedSaguaro Aug 30, 2019 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8673829)
With the Earl, Broad stone Osborn, Alta Midtown, Pure Midtown, The Astor and a dozen other complexes near done or finished in the last couple years I think they'll be good for a while.

True :tup:

pbenjamin Aug 30, 2019 6:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8673829)

I still haven't figured out where all these people are going to shop. The Safeway and Sprouts at 7th Ave/Osborn are already pretty packed these days. Seems like that flawed project planned for the NWC of Indian School and Central would be a good place to put a grocery store. Historically there was an AJ Bayless there. For what it's worth, Bayless Investment and Trading Co owns the property.

DesertRay Aug 30, 2019 6:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 8673888)
I still haven't figured out where all these people are going to shop. The Safeway and Sprouts at 7th Ave/Osborn are already pretty packed these days. Seems like that flawed project planned for the NWC of Indian School and Central would be a good place to put a grocery store. Historically there was an AJ Bayless there. For what it's worth, Bayless Investment and Trading Co owns the property.

Most of them will go to Trader Joe's and Whole Paycheck on Camelback.;)

pbenjamin Aug 30, 2019 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRay (Post 8673912)
Most of them will go to Trader Joe's and Whole Paycheck on Camelback.;)

That seems unlikely given the distance.

CrestedSaguaro Aug 30, 2019 10:44 PM

Seems like Park Central has the space and would be very centralized. I am surprised there hasn't has been discussion to build a Midtown Fry's in there.

PHX-DUDE-MAN Sep 1, 2019 9:55 PM

Good shots of the valley and downtown from June 2019, from an American Airlines approach into Sky Harbor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5KS7LvcCMc

exit2lef Sep 1, 2019 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX-DUDE-MAN (Post 8675179)
Good shots of the valley and downtown from June 2019, from an American Airlines approach into Sky Harbor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5KS7LvcCMc

Nice to see the impact the Steward and Link apartment towers have on the skyline. I look forward to more of that in the years to come.

PHX-DUDE-MAN Sep 2, 2019 3:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 8675182)
Nice to see the impact the Steward and Link apartment towers have on the skyline. I look forward to more of that in the years to come.

Yeah for sure! I think the X Phoenix will have a good affect on the skyline too especially from that angle in the YouTube video. Some more high density in-fill between downtown and uptown will be awesome to see, but overall Phoenix has been making steady progress within the past 10 years. I think its progressing faster with high density development.

DesertRay Sep 2, 2019 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 8674067)

Depends on their income and transportation. I see many, many of my better-paid neighbors go there from downtown. Of course, these will be students, so you are probably right.

biggus diggus Sep 2, 2019 3:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 8674067)

When I lived downtown the WF on 20th and Highland was my supermarket. Safeway downtown is full of homeless and there's always a long line. The next closest would be Safeway on 7th and Osborn which took just as long to reach as WF for me because I could just get on the 10/51. :shrug:

DesertRay Sep 2, 2019 5:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8675585)
When I lived downtown the WF on 20th and Highland was my supermarket. Safeway downtown is full of homeless and there's always a long line. The next closest would be Safeway on 7th and Osborn which took just as long to reach as WF for me because I could just get on the 10/51. :shrug:

The downtown SW has been redesigned for the new more-affluent buyers. A MUCH larger (and more expensive) liquor section. More frozen foods, and a better produce section. Still a few homeless folks, but mostly it's the upwardly mobile and the working class residents.

biggus diggus Sep 3, 2019 7:27 AM

I was there last week and it was still the same, lipstick on a pig.

PHXFlyer11 Sep 3, 2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8675995)

Both Safeways suck. I thought Sprouts would kill the one on Osborn and 7th Ave. Safeway is so overpriced, and as someone stated, the lines are always so long because they are understaffed. I get about 30% more food, which is much better quality at Sprouts for my money. Never going back.

CrestedSaguaro Sep 3, 2019 2:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8675995)

Yea, I serviced the US Bank in that Safeway location for 3 years. After they remodeled it, it still has the same clientele, the same shoplifting problems, the same homeless people wandering around the store and panhandling out front, still having car break-ins, etc.. I only stop there on the rare occasion I want to grab a snack before seeing a movie at AZ Center. But the snacks are over-priced compared to even Circle K. Hate shopping there.

DesertRay Sep 3, 2019 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8676083)
Yea, I serviced the US Bank in that Safeway location for 3 years. After they remodeled it, it still has the same clientele, the same shoplifting problems, the same homeless people wandering around the store and panhandling out front, still having car break-ins, etc.. I only stop there on the rare occasion I want to grab a snack before seeing a movie at AZ Center. But the snacks are over-priced compared to even Circle K. Hate shopping there.

Hmmmmm...this is my main store, and it's definitely middling. I see around 2 homeless folks in the store at any time, MAX. If you think this is crawling with homeless, I have some San Bernardino/Colton/Fresno (or anywhere on Van Buren) stores I would like to take you to. It is mos def not a Whole Paycheck post-yoga gawkfest, but it's miles better than what it was. That pig looked WAY worse before the lipstick (and before you strapped on your beer googles).

Obadno Sep 3, 2019 3:58 PM

A while Planck somebody asked about a 5 story building being built at St. Joe’s

So on the “backside” of the hospital where 3rd ave runs under the walking bridge to Barrow and 3rd ave curves there was an old small hospice building adjacent to the emergency entrance

That hospice building is now roped off with renderings of a 5 story expansion to barrow neurological set to replace the hospice

PHXFlyer11 Sep 3, 2019 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRay (Post 8676151)
Hmmmmm...this is my main store, and it's definitely middling. I see around 2 homeless folks in the store at any time, MAX. If you think this is crawling with homeless, I have some San Bernardino/Colton/Fresno (or anywhere on Van Buren) stores I would like to take you to. It is mos def not a Whole Paycheck post-yoga gawkfest, but it's miles better than what it was. That pig looked WAY worse before the lipstick (and before you strapped on your beer googles).

I was you until I discovered Sprouts about a year ago. I will never go back to Safeway. You won't either if you give it a chance.

CrestedSaguaro Sep 3, 2019 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRay (Post 8676151)
(and before you strapped on your beer googles).

That was a rude comment and I do not appreciate that. I am allowed my opinion of what I think is a bad store that I have had much personal experience with. I know the store was remodeled, but that does not make homelessness and theft go away. Sorry that you took this as an insult as it's your main store, but there was no need to get personal with me.

DesertRay Sep 3, 2019 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8676213)
That was a rude comment and I do not appreciate that. I am allowed my opinion of what I think is a bad store that I have had much personal experience with. I know the store was remodeled, but that does not make homelessness and theft go away. Sorry that you took this as an insult as it's your main store, but there was no need to get personal with me.

Oh, I wasn't insulting you. I have no idea if you were or are drinking (nor did you say you were). Nobody is taking away your right to have an opinion. I have shopped at everything from Harrods in London (you can purchase a whole shark there!) to a store that takes no money in South Sudan. I was just talking as someone who grew up in Phoenix, and shops pretty much everywhere (from the Whole Foods in Scottsdale, to Sprouts in Arcadia, to Food City on Thomas). Safeway is in the middle of the pack of what's available. It doesn't have to be your cup of tea--or whatever beverage you partake of--and I certainly don't think you should create an image of someone who is judging you for thinking the way you think. We disagree, but my response, which was responding to "lipstick on a pig" with "beer goggles" was making light of ME. I'm the guy sticking with his lipstick pig. I mentioned a nice alcohol section.

I can shop pretty much anywhere, and I know people prefer what they prefer, and that they have different perceptions. We all get to disagree, and I hope you don't read my own responses as personal insults. They are not meant that way.