SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

CrestedSaguaro Jul 24, 2018 8:41 PM

Just to add to some of these:

Kenect (not Kinnect. Thought we cleared that up before ;)): There were some plan review approvals the the last few days. I think this will start moving any time now. It seems like a lot of the delays to these projects are due to the City of Phoenix permitting process. Are they still short-staffed as it was reported a few years ago?

Edison: Only complete on the first half. I have no idea what's going on with the back portion or the "second phase" according to Deco. I'm almost worried they won't sell enough to build the back portion for a few years leaving a 2 story garage on over half the development.

The land next to the upside-down pyramid: Just received approval from the city to be sell this lot about 2 weeks ago. I'm sure it will be a while before the actual contract to purchase the property gets signed off. The trucks that are onsite are tar trucks to fill the cracks on Mitchell and some other adjacent streets. So, nothing going on with the corner yet.

Edit: Correction on Kenect. The reviews were for Palm Court Tower. Still, Kenect should be close to starting.

Obadno Jul 24, 2018 8:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8260446)

As for the other residential projects, I wouldn't be surprised to see a majority of them vanish.

Why? rents are still outpacing the growth in supply? :shrug:

biggus diggus Jul 24, 2018 9:33 PM

The top end of the market is becoming very flooded. Need more affordable units to continue justifying building them.

ASUSunDevil Jul 24, 2018 10:19 PM

10 Downtown Phoenix Development Projects to Watch

http://dtphx.org/2018/07/20/10-downt...ects-to-watch/

Phxguy Jul 25, 2018 8:39 AM

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/enter...ect/829390002/

I can’t access the article but it looks like another restaurant is looking to open in the old Roosevelt Tavern spot next to Songbird. Can anyone else access it?

biggus diggus Jul 25, 2018 12:22 PM

Yes I read that article yesterday on azcentral. Open in incognito mode.

ASU Diablo Jul 25, 2018 4:27 PM

New restaurant would put behind controversy in historic downtown Phoenix building

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8261001)
https://eu.azcentral.com/story/enter...ect/829390002/

I can’t access the article but it looks like another restaurant is looking to open in the old Roosevelt Tavern spot next to Songbird. Can anyone else access it?

There are signs of life again at a high-profile, historic property in downtown Phoenix.

A pending liquor license sign is up at 816 N. Third St., just south of Roosevelt Row. If that address sounds familiar, that’s because a proposed bar called the Monocle was supposed to open there last summer.

But the Monocle never got off the ground after would-be owner Arthur Bachelier, a sex offender, violated his lifetime parole.

Pending liquor license
A city of Phoenix Pending Application for Liquor License is posted outside the building at 816 N. Third Street in downtown Phoenix on Tuesday, July 24, 2018. (Photo: Wendy Killeen/The Republic)

Landlord Dixie Cook put the property up for lease shortly after a request to terminate the Monocle LLC was filed with the Arizona Corporation Commission. Now, there's a pending liquor license under the address for a restaurant called Farish House, the same name the property is known for.

Owned by Eric Hassler, who previously ran Radda Caffe Bar in Scottsdale, Farish House will feature classic American and French bistro dishes. He plans to open the restaurant in early October.

Who was William Farish?
The Farish House is named for Phoenix’s first city manager, William Farish, who was a civil engineer. It was built in 1900 and designated a historic landmark in 2002, according to the city's historic preservation records.

The property has been vacant since Phoenix restaurateur Matt Pool closed Roosevelt Tavern in 2012. Pool owns breakfast joint Matt’s Big Breakfast nearby.

CrestedSaguaro Jul 25, 2018 5:48 PM

So, I was perusing around on the web and found a couple interesting wooden mockups of Palm Court Tower and Horizon on Central (the rumored 24 story tower next to the upside-down triangle on Central and Mitchell.

The first link is for Palm Court Tower mockup which seems to be very similar to what the NADG rendering may have been based upon:

https://hartsanders.myportfolio.com/palmcourt-tower

This architect seems to be linked with Will Bruder since there are some renderings on this page that also have the original Palm Court Tower renderings from Will Bruder's site. This lead me to the Horizon on Central mockups which I am hoping could give some insight to what we may get on Central/Mitchell if this development pushes forward. The mockups look like this could be an awesome development:

https://hartsanders.myportfolio.com/horizon-on-central

Both tower mockups are dated 2016. I sure hope we get something similar to this. The angle of the tower and how it really sticks out over Central and Mitchell is a nice touch and this would also seem to compliment the angle of Phoenix Financial Center.

pbenjamin Jul 25, 2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8260419)
Sprouts: Apartments are topped out, sprouts looks to be near grand Opening and the Safeway retail complex on the opposite corner is going to go under a major renovation/face lift starting in the fall.

I have heard August 22 as the opening date for Sprouts.

There has been a sign promising renovation at the Safeway site for a couple of years now. I think it said 3Q17 for a long time and then they changed it to 3Q18. No evidence of anything actually happening.

somethingfast Jul 25, 2018 11:38 PM

Palmcourt looks like a real winner no matter the design. Pushing 400' and nice renderings across the board...really excited about this one and The Link...both will make a nice impact on skyline

biggus diggus Jul 26, 2018 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 8261862)
I have heard August 22 as the opening date for Sprouts.

There has been a sign promising renovation at the Safeway site for a couple of years now. I think it said 3Q17 for a long time and then they changed it to 3Q18. No evidence of anything actually happening.

They're waiting for leases to be signed. The renovation is contingent on someone taking that pad as of now but it may accelerate once the apartments across the street are finished. Hard to justify spending money when you have an 80% full plaza.

AnthonyPHX Jul 26, 2018 5:02 AM

Sing High closing, new owner is a big developer.

The Phoenix New Times has an article up today about Sing High at 1st Ave/Madison closing on Sept 30th this year. In the last sentence, the article mentions the building has been sold.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...osing-10651000

The county assessor lists the new owner as Madison 27, LLC. All the registered agents for that LLC are members of the Hansji group that bought the Luhrs block a while back and built the (depressingly boring) Marriott Courtyard on Central/Madison.

Hopefully whatever they've got planned for the Sing High plot is more interesting.

Obadno Jul 26, 2018 3:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8262019)
They're waiting for leases to be signed. The renovation is contingent on someone taking that pad as of now but it may accelerate once the apartments across the street are finished. Hard to justify spending money when you have an 80% full plaza.

There are several hundred units either just coming online or will be online in the next 24 months in the immediate vicinity, and now they have a new nicer complex across the street to compete with.

I hope they do the remodel that Safeway is ugly

biggus diggus Jul 26, 2018 4:44 PM

I get what you're saying but if you have every space filled except the pad would you spend a ton of money to remodel? I sure wouldn't.

twig Aug 2, 2018 3:13 PM

Someone please help me out and fill in the blanks with references to the info

Total office space downtown:
U/C office space:
Proposed office space:

Thanks!

dtnphx Aug 2, 2018 9:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twig (Post 8270245)
Someone please help me out and fill in the blanks with references to the info

Total office space downtown:
U/C office space:
Proposed office space:

Thanks!

Total office space downtown: 10,157,998 SF (10,000K SF +)
U/C office space: 228,402 (Block 23)
Proposed office space: 320,000 SF (1 E. Adams and 34 E. Jackson expansion)

combusean Aug 2, 2018 9:23 PM

^ What definition of downtown are you using with that? I've seen all sorts of bad ideas, like "CBD South" that includes parts of Midtown.

biggus diggus Aug 2, 2018 9:57 PM

I know people who consider Biltmore downtown.

combusean Aug 2, 2018 10:04 PM

If you spend all your time in North Scottsdale or have the times north of the 101 it may as well be. There are lots of people who rarely go south of Bell.

dtnphx Aug 2, 2018 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8270701)
^ What definition of downtown are you using with that? I've seen all sorts of bad ideas, like "CBD South" that includes parts of Midtown.

Downtown South Submarket. McDowell to Salt River, 7th to 7th. No midtown