SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Navy Pier Redevelopment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156131)

America 117 Aug 16, 2008 4:52 PM

CHICAGO | Navy Pier Redevelopment
 
Future plans
On January 13, 2006, the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority released plans for a major renovation of the pier which would include a monorail, a 260-foot (79 m) spokeless Ferris wheel, a roller coaster, floating hotel, and an 80,000-square-foot (7,000 m²) water park with a Great Lakes theme. The plan would include nearly double the current parking and a replacement theater with a greater capacity. At the time of the announcement, a price tag of $2 billion was announced.

I got this from wiki and I wanted to know if it was true. If it is then that would be so cool!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ohnHancock.jpg
This pic is from:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_Pier

America 117 Aug 16, 2008 5:00 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-Navy_pier.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-Navy_Pier.jpg
This is all from:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_Pier

Marcu Aug 16, 2008 5:07 PM

I think this project is dead in the water unless it's some convoluted attempt to bail out the McPier budget deficit by improving and then privatizing. McPier is out of cash and the plan seemed to get a negative reaction from the general public when released.

America 117 Aug 16, 2008 5:31 PM

Oh
Thats too bad:(

wrab Aug 16, 2008 6:51 PM

Here's the proposal:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15.../crappier2.jpg

Kinda cheesy for my taste.

I'd like to see the original Chicago Ferris Wheel resurrected, if nothing else:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...erriswheel.jpg

America 117 Aug 16, 2008 7:14 PM

That would have looked so great!
Navy pier really needs a roller coaster.

Chicago2020 Aug 17, 2008 1:16 AM

found this nice render, just a vision design

http://www.archidose.org/Blog/rtkl-london.jpg

ethereal_reality Aug 17, 2008 1:25 AM

^^^ whoa...that looks like Lebbeus Woods.

LucasS6 Aug 17, 2008 8:05 PM

They should do something with the water reclaimation plant or whatever next door.

philopdx Aug 17, 2008 10:30 PM

I remember when I was in Chicago in 2006, navy pier struck me as rather corporate flavor of entertainment, a little slice of Orlando on Lake Michigan.

I don't know the history, was this an urban renewal project of a previously blighted area? I would congratulate them in that case, since flashing lights and mojitos are much preferred to spooky, empty warehouses.

I'm not sure about the revamp, I guess it will be interesting to see how things progress. I need to get back soon to see all the new construction and activity!

ardecila Aug 18, 2008 7:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philopdx (Post 3741366)
I don't know the history, was this an urban renewal project of a previously blighted area? I would congratulate them in that case, since flashing lights and mojitos are much preferred to spooky, empty warehouses.

IIRC, Navy Pier was built to consolidate a bunch of docks around the downtown area into one place, so that lakefront and riverfront parks could be built. Since Great Lakes shipping traffic declines in winter, the pier was largely unused and housed large conventions and shows. In WWII, the pier was used by the Navy to train new sailors from around the Midwest, which is when it got the name "Navy Pier" (up until then, it had been called Municipal Pier No. 2).

It later housed a special branch of the University of Illinois, set up to educate large numbers of returning soldiers. This branch eventually moved a few miles away and became UIC, but this left the pier largely unused again until the 1980s, when a massive renovation added the ferris wheel, a food court, winter garden, shopping, the Skyline Stage, the modern convention spaces, and the lakefront promenade. Over the next 10 years, various boat companies were formed to offer lake cruises and tours from Navy Pier's docks.

wrab Aug 18, 2008 1:30 PM

^ And it is now the most popular tourist attraction in all of Illinois - sorta the Great Lakes version of Fisherman's Wharf, minus the chowder bowls. And, perhaps, minus the Kiddies Museum.

Chicagoguy Aug 18, 2008 2:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 3742071)
IIRC, Navy Pier was built to consolidate a bunch of docks around the downtown area into one place, so that lakefront and riverfront parks could be built. Since Great Lakes shipping traffic declines in winter, the pier was largely unused and housed large conventions and shows. In WWII, the pier was used by the Navy to train new sailors from around the Midwest, which is when it got the name "Navy Pier" (up until then, it had been called Municipal Pier No. 2).

It later housed a special branch of the University of Illinois, set up to educate large numbers of returning soldiers. This branch eventually moved a few miles away and became UIC, but this left the pier largely unused again until the 1980s, when a massive renovation added the ferris wheel, a food court, winter garden, shopping, the Skyline Stage, the modern convention spaces, and the lakefront promenade. Over the next 10 years, various boat companies were formed to offer lake cruises and tours from Navy Pier's docks.


Municipal Pier No. 2? Was there another pier somewhere?

What are they going to do with the area of the pier that housed the childrens museum once it leaves. A roller coaster or a waterpark I think would be a great idea to rejuvenate the pier. And a monorail would definitely be a great idea. I know the pier might not look like its that long of a walk, but it takes forever to get around the entire pier...its a much longer walk than it looks!

America 117 Aug 18, 2008 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagoguy (Post 3742314)
A roller coaster or a waterpark I think would be a great idea to rejuvenate the pier.

That would be great!
Just think after walking downtown chicago what better way to end the day then going on a roller coaster on navy pier!
I would love for them to build one it would also be cool if it went over the water.
So many great things could be built on navy pier!

Chicagoguy Aug 18, 2008 4:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by America 117 (Post 3742471)
That would be great!
Just think after walking downtown chicago what better way to end the day then going on a roller coaster on navy pier!
I would love for them to build one it would also be cool if it went over the water.
So many great things could be built on navy pier!

Yes I agree...Navy Pier is a great asset to our city and could only get better with improvements now!

ChicagoChicago Aug 18, 2008 4:15 PM

Just my two cents, but Daley's plan to move the Children's museum is moronic. Navy Pier is all about family activities. Why they would want to pull the Children's museum makes no sense to me.

As for those that say Navy Pier has a corporate theme to it, I would agree. But then, McPier can't run a profit as it is, so pulling all the cheesy vendors isn't going to work unless they privatize it.

Chicagoguy Aug 18, 2008 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoChicago (Post 3742491)
Just my two cents, but Daley's plan to move the Children's museum is moronic. Navy Pier is all about family activities. Why they would want to pull the Children's museum makes no sense to me.

As for those that say Navy Pier has a corporate theme to it, I would agree. But then, McPier can't run a profit as it is, so pulling all the cheesy vendors isn't going to work unless they privatize it.

Yes I agree with you...I dont understand why he wants to move the museum...it is perfectly fine where it is! But is he does move it elsewhere I hope something great takes its place!

America 117 Aug 18, 2008 4:32 PM

Whats in the childrens museum?
whats so great about it? I wouldent really care if they take it awey.

ChicagoChicago Aug 18, 2008 4:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagoguy (Post 3742498)
Yes I agree with you...I dont understand why he wants to move the museum...it is perfectly fine where it is! But is he does move it elsewhere I hope something great takes its place!

Knowing Daley, it's all about ego. He wants to prove he can building Grant Park. This town doesn't have enough green space as it is. Pisses me off.

ChicagoChicago Aug 18, 2008 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by America 117 (Post 3742525)
Whats in the childrens museum?
whats so great about it? I wouldent really care if they take it awey.

Why do you hate the children?


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.