SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | The Row (900 W Randolph) | 495 FT | 43 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230477)

gebs Jan 29, 2018 10:52 PM

In preparation for the meeting:

Architect Morris Adjmi talks Chicago’s West Loop [Curbed, Jan 29, 2018, 4:18pm]

cyked3 Jan 30, 2018 2:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7973791)
I'll be interested to see what happens to West Loop as the first generations of midrise dwellers start reaching middle age and having kids. Skinner is already expanding for the second time in a decade. Maybe a neighborhood option for middle/high school is needed soon, apart from Whitney Young.

We're moving into one of the new construction condos in the west loop. According to the developer's rep, most buyers are like us - families with young kid(s). We intend to stay for the long haul and certainly through eighth grade given how great Skinner West is.

Kngkyle Jan 31, 2018 12:25 AM

http://kngkyle.com/uploads/192424.png

http://kngkyle.com/uploads/192443.png

http://kngkyle.com/uploads/192459.png

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ket-high-rises

Kumdogmillionaire Jan 31, 2018 12:26 AM

Look at that beast. That last rendering is gorgeous

Kngkyle Jan 31, 2018 12:29 AM

It's insane just how many projects Related has their hands on in Chicago. They must be by-far the biggest developer in the city over the past decade and with what they have in the pipeline I don't see that changing for the next decade.

Hawkeyes10 Jan 31, 2018 12:31 AM

Really, really like the look of this building. Thanks for the pics!

F1 Tommy Jan 31, 2018 12:31 AM

I think I like it....Interesting looking building.

rgarri4 Jan 31, 2018 12:38 AM

Yes. Renderings finally. I need to update my 3d model. This looks really good!

BVictor1 Jan 31, 2018 12:44 AM

Condo

ardecila Jan 31, 2018 12:53 AM

I still think this doesn’t belong here. The podium is admittedly well-designed, with an attractive facade and no parking visible (looks like a bit of office space as a liner).

However, I think it’s too important for Chicago to have a bonafide midrise neighborhood, with 2-4 story buildings mixed in. The city even put in the planning effort to make that happen. For various reasons, we’re unlikely to build this kind of environment anywhere else for the foreseeable future... Dearborn Park forced the South Loop into a total highrise development pattern, and River North/Streeterville are already full of highrises. Industrial areas along the river could be developed as midrise, but those areas have large lots and a very flawed street grid so they’ll never develop the same urban patterns.

What they should do is move this one to the Randolph/Halsted site behind Haymarket, as a proper architectural beacon for the main “entrance” of West Loop.

BVictor1 Jan 31, 2018 12:55 AM

10,000 square foot footprint.

marothisu Jan 31, 2018 1:08 AM

I like it a lot - though I do agree it looks a bit out of place...I'm going out on a whim here but I don't really think Related though they'd get away with that height in this neighborhood. My guess is that it's going to come down 20-25 stories when all is said and done with which will still look good.

Fvn Jan 31, 2018 1:11 AM

landmark west loop vibes

KWillChicago Jan 31, 2018 1:14 AM

One museum park looked really out of place and by itself but now look at the south loop boom. This could change the whole mindset of west Halsted.

marothisu Jan 31, 2018 1:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 8067422)
One museum park looked really out of place and by itself but now look at the south loop boom. This could change the whole mindset of west Halsted.

Agree - but try telling the residents of the West Loop this

chris08876 Jan 31, 2018 1:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 8067335)
It's insane just how many projects Related has their hands on in Chicago. They must be by-far the biggest developer in the city over the past decade and with what they have in the pipeline I don't see that changing for the next decade.

Related in general is one of the biggest in the country. Every city seems to have either projects or assemblages/acquisitions related to "Related".

And they make things happen too. Quite competent, with an impeccable track record of success.

jc5680 Jan 31, 2018 1:36 AM

The tower looks good, but it is so hilariously out of scale with what is around it. It doesn't make much sense to me—if for no reason other than its contextual aesthetics. A lone building soaring above it's neighbors looks silly.

The OMP comparison is pretty absurd. There were plenty of larger scale developments close before it was built. It was also expected that similarly sized buildings would follow suit. The expectation that similarly sized developments follow here just doesn't exist. Maybe this changes perspectives some, but it would be nice to see a building or two, maybe half the height, to sort of bridge that visual gap

Fvn Jan 31, 2018 1:39 AM

When One Museum Park went up, while it was the tallest building in that end of grant park it wasn't the only tall building so while it maybe didn't look right, it had other taller buildings around it to make it not stick out. While it may look out of place, I don't think this building itself will be that bad by itself but it could possible spark more tall buildings in the Fulton market area, which as Ardecila said, should be a mid-rise neighborhood.

marothisu Jan 31, 2018 1:39 AM

^ Which is why I don't think the developer actually thought that people would be OK with a 50+ story building in their hood. I think they just did it as a "you never know" thing. This building would look good at 30 stories too - and there's already a new-ish building of that size not far away. My money is on that being the ultimate size. While it sucks that it might not be 50+ stories, I think it would still look good at around 30 or 35.

Khantilever Jan 31, 2018 1:49 AM

That’s gorgeous. Definitely looks like this is an inflection point for the WestLoop.

Opposing this in pursuit of an abstract notion of preserving a “mid-rise neighborhood” ignores the very reasons we find mid-rise neighborhoods appealing - lots of light, varied and intimate streetscape, historical structures, etc. This proposal looks like it should maintain and enhance those characteristics, consistent with the West Loop guidelines, and deliver more density and vitality to the neighborhood to boot.

We should definitely be wary of destroying the character of the West Loop - but that requires not going in the extreme in either direction of overly restricting or allowing growth. A lot of the growth in the area is presumably in part based on the assumption of continued development. And then there are the benefits to the city as a whole. Let’s not kid ourselves: a big reason Chicago is doing so well is that it is easier to build here than it is in many other large cities.