SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Edifice Jan 10, 2018 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8041841)
Rfp = request for project

Basically the city will sell a developer cheap land ambit the developer needs to show the city what they are going to do with the land, then the city gives it to the best project.

Central station was RFP’d a few years back but the winning proposal fell through so they are RFP’ing it again

RFP = Request for Proposal.

ASU Diablo Jan 10, 2018 5:56 PM

fawd - so any more details you can share on the Central Station RFP?

CrestedSaguaro Jan 10, 2018 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 8042288)
fawd - so any more details you can share on the Central Station RFP?

I'm hoping it's going to go to Davis Experience. Their proposals rock! :righton:

Obadno Jan 10, 2018 6:46 PM

This should have been the original winner for Central station

https://thedavisexperience.com/proje...entral-station

https://thedavisexperience.com/proje...entral-station

ASU Diablo Jan 10, 2018 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8042355)

Agreed!!! Plus the fact that it would break the 500' barrier :cheers: Anxiously waiting to get more updates...

CrestedSaguaro Jan 10, 2018 7:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 8042361)
Agreed!!! Plus the fact that it would break the 500' barrier :cheers: Anxiously waiting to get more updates...

Judging by the scale of the rendering, it looks like it's right around 550'. Let's hope they are in the running for the new RFP!

stutteringpunk Jan 10, 2018 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8042389)
Judging by the scale of the rendering, it looks like it's right around 550'. Let's hope they are in the running for the new RFP!

That's an old proposal. They might use something similar if they submit a project, but I doubt it'll look exactly that way since Cityscape is looking like it'll function as central station now.

fawd Jan 10, 2018 7:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutteringpunk (Post 8042412)
That's an old proposal. They might use something similar if they submit a project, but I doubt it'll look exactly that way since Cityscape is looking like it'll function as central station now.

Negative. RFP will require the Central Station development be both transit-oriented and multi-use.

Obadno Jan 10, 2018 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutteringpunk (Post 8042412)

It is still the central city bus station even though Cityscape will be the primary Light Rail Hub

This will change again If when the commuter rail lines get built over the next decade.

ASU Diablo Jan 10, 2018 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8042389)

The Davis' website lists it at 500' but hey i'll take 550' even better lol

CrestedSaguaro Jan 10, 2018 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 8042437)
The Davis' website lists it at 500' but hey i'll take 550' even better lol

Oh! I didn't even see the height posted on the site. Lol. Too bad this probably wouldn't be the actual design if awarded to Davis. But I do think we will see an updated version that is very similar to this concept. It will be interesting to see what proposals we see. Anything but that Smith design! :yuck:

Freeway Jan 11, 2018 5:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 8041747)
You know, nothing personal here, but this attitude above is EXACTLY what I hate about Phoenix/Arizona in general...just lack of vision or pride. Everyone here loves a team from ANOTHER city/state. Okay, not really but you know what I'm saying. How many cities in the US have 700+ footers? Let me see...New York (duh), Chicago (duh), LA, Philly, Seattle, San Fran, Minneapolis, Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Pittsburgh, Boston, Austin...how many is that? 15 off top of my head. Phoenix is the 12th largest metro and 5th largest city? And our tallest is 483'? And built in 1973???

(sigh)

What's the point. I dunno. Lame attitude, guys. Sorry, don't mean to offend. But lame. One decent size relocation could necessitate a 45- or 50-story tower. It's not like heaven and earth need to collide for a building that tall to get built. Just f*#king re-zone an appropriate area that meets FAA requirements, etc. The incremental cost of going higher is, I'm guessing, decreasing from like 30 to 50 floors. Maybe not. Whatever...yes, let's build another 300' "tower".

Phoenix doesn't the industry or geographical layout to support a 500 foot building. Who needs a 500 foot tall call center? Mobile, with a population less than that of Gilbert, has a 745 footer. Population does not always equate to height of the skyline.

Obadno Jan 11, 2018 6:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeway (Post 8043093)
Phoenix doesn't the industry or geographical layout to support a 500 foot building. Who needs a 500 foot tall call center? Mobile, with a population less than that of Gilbert, has a 745 footer. Population does not always equate to height of the skyline.

First of all, we don’t live in 1992 Phoenix has a lot more going on in its buisness world beyond call centers and has one of the fastest growing financial industries (traditional tower builders) in the country.

The reason there has been no new tall building in Phoenix is because there was no demand in the core where tall buildings get built.

Companies, like residents, choose to locate in urban locations because they want to be in an urban area, if they don’t care about being in an urban area they’ll locate in suburban office parks and that’s true in any city in the country.

We didn’t have a desirable downtown neighborhiod until very very recently

For the first time ever you have a fledgling downtown with nightlife and residents and a steady stream of new tenants both commercial and otherwise. You’ll get tall towers when big name tenants with deep pockets want to spend the money to locate in a downtown, there is no way in hell any company was going to do that between 1970 and 2015 in Phoenix.

15 years ago downtown was little more than a ghost town with half empty buildings we almost got somewhere in 2007/8 but then the econemy crashed.

But if you think mobile Alabama has an econemy more suited to skyscrapers than Phoenix you are out of your mind.

fawd Jan 11, 2018 1:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8043112)
15 years ago downtown was little more than a ghost town.

15?!?? More like 5 years ago!

DT Phoenix has come a long way in a short period. Still has a long way to go, but talk about a great start to 2018. :cheers:

CrestedSaguaro Jan 11, 2018 2:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeway (Post 8043093)

Mobile is a major Gulf port city regardless of it's size. Also, RSA may be 745' tall, but a lot of it is spire. There are only 35 floors, 25 of which are office and 4 floors of hotel space. The rest of Mobile's skyline sucks with only 4 other buildings over 300' and with a vacancy rate around 21%. Poor choice to compare to Phoenix.

somethingfast Jan 12, 2018 2:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8043262)
Mobile is a major Gulf port city regardless of it's size. Also, RSA may be 745' tall, but a lot of it is spire. There are only 35 floors, 25 of which are office and 4 floors of hotel space. The rest of Mobile's skyline sucks with only 4 other buildings over 300' and with a vacancy rate around 21%. Poor choice to compare to Phoenix.

Okay, so I've been through Mobile many times...and God bless the South...but comparing to Mobile to Phoenix is just absurd. But the fact that Mobile has a 700+ footer (I think it's actually >800 feet tip of spire) just proves my previous point: Phoenix has ZERO pride or vision. It's always "value-engineering". Just build a GD 750+ footer somewhere in midtown or just north of DT already!!! I'm a native and I can't tell if it's the native attitude or the immigrant attitude (hey, I'm from Chicago, we got skyscrapers so f--k that!) that keeps holding us back. I'm truly perplexed. Tempe will keep pulling deveopment from Phoenix bc it just flat out lacks vision and/or ambition! I mean that proposal for a 500' observation deck a few years ago??? WTF...that is a small building in NYC. Why wouldn't you propose a 1000+ footer just inside the FAA variance??? (Sigh). Bullshit, I call.

Obadno Jan 12, 2018 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 8044184)
Okay, so I've been through Mobile many times...and God bless the South...but comparing to Mobile to Phoenix is just absurd. But the fact that Mobile has a 700+ footer (I think it's actually >800 feet tip of spire) just proves my previous point: Phoenix has ZERO pride or vision. It's always "value-engineering". Just build a GD 750+ footer somewhere in midtown or just north of DT already!!! I'm a native and I can't tell if it's the native attitude or the immigrant attitude (hey, I'm from Chicago, we got skyscrapers so f--k that!) that keeps holding us back. I'm truly perplexed. Tempe will keep pulling deveopment from Phoenix bc it just flat out lacks vision and/or ambition! I mean that proposal for a 500' observation deck a few years ago??? WTF...that is a small building in NYC. Why wouldn't you propose a 1000+ footer just inside the FAA variance??? (Sigh). Bullshit, I call.

Vision? It has nothing to do with vision its market demand.

There has been no demand downtown for office space, but we have 1 office building under construction and one possibly in planning. When there is demand for office space downtown they will build towers, but companies need a reason to want to move downtown.

Also you need the city to entice companies into the city instead of into Tempe and Chandler, Stanton and whoever the next mayor is going to be should be trying to get hometown companies like Tazer, Godaddy, Avnet etc to open corporate office in the core. I don't think Stanton ahs been particularly proactive in that area.

somethingfast Jan 12, 2018 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8044661)
Vision? It has nothing to do with vision its market demand.

There has been no demand downtown for office space, but we have 1 office building under construction and one possibly in planning. When there is demand for office space downtown they will build towers, but companies need a reason to want to move downtown.

Also you need the city to entice companies into the city instead of into Tempe and Chandler, Stanton and whoever the next mayor is going to be should be trying to get hometown companies like Tazer, Godaddy, Avnet etc to open corporate office in the core. I don't think Stanton ahs been particularly proactive in that area.

Dude, you're just proving my point. Why hasn't a local hometown (First Solar, GoDaddy, LifeLock, Apollo, Avnet, etc.) chosen downtown? BC downtown has lacked civic leadership and vision. There is nothing remarkable about downtown. San Antonio had to build the Riverwalk as a signature destination to get some momentum. Austin as a lake and river nearby. Um, Tempe's resurgence is due almost entirely to the Town Lake built >20 years previous. Phoenix has shown zero vision in this regard so any growth there has largely been by osmosis. It's happening, yes, but it could be so much further along is all I'm saying. And if I were mayor I would ask my city managers responsible for DT development to push for HIGHER as it creates a focus point from all areas of the valley. Nobody notices DT Phoenix bc it's short and stubby. So, yeah, let's keep putting up short and stubby buildings...perfect. This is a choice bc we have the attitude of "we'll taking anything!"

Phxguy Jan 13, 2018 4:54 AM

Just a passing comment in development...Huss Brewery is opening a tap room at Desoto Market Jan 26th!!

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...room-at-desoto

FitnessPower Jan 13, 2018 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 8044690)
Dude, you're just proving my point. Why hasn't a local hometown (First Solar, GoDaddy, LifeLock, Apollo, Avnet, etc.) chosen downtown? BC downtown has lacked civic leadership and vision. There is nothing remarkable about downtown. San Antonio had to build the Riverwalk as a signature destination to get some momentum. Austin as a lake and river nearby. Um, Tempe's resurgence is due almost entirely to the Town Lake built >20 years previous. Phoenix has shown zero vision in this regard so any growth there has largely been by osmosis. It's happening, yes, but it could be so much further along is all I'm saying. And if I were mayor I would ask my city managers responsible for DT development to push for HIGHER as it creates a focus point from all areas of the valley. Nobody notices DT Phoenix bc it's short and stubby. So, yeah, let's keep putting up short and stubby buildings...perfect. This is a choice bc we have the attitude of "we'll taking anything!"

I agree, a lot of people here have the mindsets of a metro with a 500k population. This metro is booming and is getting to the point to where it could it could easily support a 600+ ft tower. Hell it doesn't even have to be an office tower, Austin's tallest is a 683ft residential skyscraper. The real obstacle is getting the FAA to play ball.