SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

SIGSEGV Sep 3, 2021 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9386428)
I think you know who I'm talking about when I use the word harassed. You keep bringing up random people "talking" to you, that's not what I'm referring to.

What harassment do you regularly experience when riding public transit? Someone trying to sell you loose cigarettes? Homeless people walking down the train asking for money? Musicians playing for tips? Crazy people muttering to themselves? Black Panthers handing out sandwiches to people in need? The Jehovah Witnesses standing in front of train stations with their posterboards? Street preachers telling you some bullshit about Jesus? Some of these are annoying I guess, but I'm not sure that's what you're talking about...

Camelback Sep 3, 2021 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9386441)
What harassment do you regularly experience when riding public transit? Someone trying to sell you loose cigarettes? Homeless people walking down the train asking for money? Musicians playing for tips? Crazy people muttering to themselves? Black Panthers handing out sandwiches to people in need? The Jehovah Witnesses standing in front of train stations with their posterboards? Street preachers telling you some bullshit about Jesus? Some of these are annoying I guess, but I'm not sure that's what you're talking about...

All of that, plus drug addicts, drunkards fighting, low life's and aggressive gang members, weirdos vibing you out, jerk's staring at your wife's tits.

There's a reason everybody tries not to make eye contact with anybody while riding public transit, it's like riding with a pack of feral dogs, one accidental glance can be taken as offense.

These are all problems that are avoided by driving in your own car, jamming out, relaxing in a perfect air temperature, or windows down for some fresh air, without looking for barf in your seat before you sit down.

Just about every single transit system in America is NOT used by investment bankers and lawyers. In Manhattan, yes that's common, just about everywhere else, no, that's not the reality.

Camelback Sep 3, 2021 8:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 9386381)
I've never been harassed, in 40+ years of riding public transit.

My mom was carjacked, however. In an upscale American suburb, no less.

Was your mom pistol whipped too? Scary.

Crawford Sep 3, 2021 8:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9386462)
All of that, plus drug addicts, drunkards fighting, low life's and aggressive gang members, weirdos vibing you out, jerk's staring at your wife's tits.

This is so typically American. I'll never get this bizarre worldview.

"I'm not gonna ride transit bc I don't like drunks, lowlifes, and people staring at my wife's tits. Gotta run, headed to Panama City".

Again, people are HORRIBLE at risk assessment. There are more people staring at your wife at Walmart than on a train, where most riders have earbuds and are tuned to their phones or napping. I don't think I've had a weird experience on transit during normal business hours, anywhere, ever. And nowadays no one even looks at anyone; they're glued to screens.

Camelback Sep 3, 2021 8:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 9386474)
This is so typically American. I'll never get this bizarre worldview.

It's 95% American!

Crawford, you should get out of your bubble and ride the Blue line (or whatever they're calling it now?) from Long Beach to DTLA at 11:30pm. Get out on some of the platforms in between.

Maybe take a bus through some really bad neighborhoods in the Southside of Chicago, get out and walk around after dark.

What a bizarre worldview.

Crawford Sep 3, 2021 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9386465)
Was your mom pistol whipped too? Scary.

No, but she had a gun put in her face by a scared teenager, and the idiot drove off with her car, from a Starbucks parking lot, in an affluent Midwest suburb, about 20 years ago.

Obviously not everyday behavior, though, for any mobility mode.

eschaton Sep 3, 2021 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 9386474)
Again, people are HORRIBLE at risk assessment. There are more people staring at your wife at Walmart than on a train, where most riders have earbuds and are tuned to their phones or napping. I don't think I've had a weird experience on transit during normal business hours, anywhere, ever. And nowadays no one even looks at anyone; they're glued to screens.

I've definitely had some weird transit experiences, but nothing that made me that uncomfortable in recent memory. Like, about a decade ago there was an older guy who used to take my neighborhood bus who was one of those "panhandlers, but with a home." He was on SSI and had an apartment somewhere. He never really hustled me hard, but I remember one amusing conversation with him where he was telling me "son, you gots to find yourself an older woman...they have all the money!" He also usually had an open can of beer tucked into his back pocket.

SIGSEGV Sep 3, 2021 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9386462)
All of that, plus drug addicts, drunkards fighting, low life's and aggressive gang members, weirdos vibing you out, jerk's staring at your wife's tits.

There's a reason everybody tries not to make eye contact with anybody while riding public transit, it's like riding with a pack of feral dogs, one accidental glance can be taken as offense.

These are all problems that are avoided by driving in your own car, jamming out, relaxing in a perfect air temperature, or windows down for some fresh air, without looking for barf in your seat before you sit down.

Just about every single transit system in America is NOT used by investment bankers and lawyers. In Manhattan, yes that's common, just about everywhere else, no, that's not the reality.

You clearly aren't riding the same trains/buses that I am. Usually it's just people trying to get to work or wherever else they need to go. The tourists tend to be more obnoxious than anyone else. Oh and the suburbanites going to Cubs Games. They are the worst. Friday and Saturday night there are a lot of drunkards. But better they are on the train than on the road...

homebucket Sep 3, 2021 8:28 PM

There's also road rage. I don't think I've encountered train conductor rage.

Quote:

The judge had strong words for Eriz, who is accused of killing Aiden Leos in an act of road rage while driving on the 55 Freeway in the city of Orange on May 21. Investigators said his 23-year-old girlfriend was driving the car and helped cover up the crime.

Court documents allege Eriz demonstrated a fondness for firearms on Instagram, and prosecutors said he "cannot control his temper." Eriz "admitted to police" he was angry after being "flipped off" by the boy's mother on May 21, according to court documents. He then allegedly grabbed his loaded gun and fired at her vehicle. A bullet struck Aiden while he was sitting in a booster seat in the back of his mother's vehicle on his way to kindergarten.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/marcus-...etails-emerge/

And random drive by shootings. Hard to shoot at a train that's speeding along in the subway tunnels. This just happened this morning, btw. No shootings on BART today as far as I know.

Quote:

Multiple people were injured in a shooting on Interstate 280 in Daly City early Friday morning, authorities said.

The shooting was reported at about 1:45 a.m., with CHP and San Mateo County fire units responding to the scene on southbound I-280, just north of Highway 1 in Daly City.

An older model GMC SUV was seen on the shoulder of the freeway with the windows blown out and other damage from either gunfire or a collision. Video from the scene shows officers checking the vehicle and canvassing the freeway lanes for evidence.
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-city/2647716/

Camelback Sep 3, 2021 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9386491)
You clearly aren't riding the same trains/buses that I am. Usually it's just people trying to get to work or wherever else they need to go. The tourists tend to be more obnoxious than anyone else. Oh and the suburbanites going to Cubs Games. They are the worst. Friday and Saturday night there are a lot of drunkards. But better they are on the train than on the road...

We're not talking about suburbanites taking a train to a baseball game, or college kids going to school, or investment bankers with ear buds.

There's a reason why many public transit numbers are in decline in many cities of America despite rail extensions, it's because people feel more comfortable in cars (that includes uber and Lyft).

SIGSEGV Sep 3, 2021 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9386493)
There's also road rage. I don't think I've encountered train conductor rage.



https://www.cbsnews.com/news/marcus-...etails-emerge/

And random drive by shootings. Hard to shoot at a train that's speeding along in the subway tunnels. This just happened this morning, btw. No shootings on BART today as far as I know.



https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-city/2647716/

There was a poor student who was hit by a stray bullet on a train here, but it's much more common for people to get hit by stray bullets on the expressways.

Chisouthside Sep 3, 2021 8:46 PM

plenty of professional people ride the bus in chicago.
plenty of professional people do it in new york.
plenty of tech workers ride the light rail and cal train in silicon valley.
the blue line to long beach from dtla is pretty mild, camelback is just scared of regular working LA city people.

Camelback Sep 3, 2021 9:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisouthside (Post 9386516)
plenty of professional people ride the bus in chicago.
plenty of professional people do it in new york.
plenty of tech workers ride the light rail and cal train in silicon valley.
the blue line to long beach from dtla is pretty mild, camelback is just scared of regular working LA city people.

Plenty of the 5% of Americans that use mass transit.

5% is generous, btw.

Riding the bus in Memphis is not the same as commuting from the Upper Westside to Lower Manhattan at 8:30am.

suburbanite Sep 3, 2021 9:16 PM

People who can afford cars ride transit when it's more convenient, whether or not there are unsavory characters is such a non-material factor driving transit ridership. The vast majority of American cities do not have the geographic constraints or traffic that Manhattan does and have spent half a century or more building their cities around cars. As such, transit is rarely a time-saver or more convenient. Make driving a car less desirable, and transit number increase.

JManc Sep 3, 2021 9:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9386491)
You clearly aren't riding the same trains/buses that I am. Usually it's just people trying to get to work or wherever else they need to go. The tourists tend to be more obnoxious than anyone else. Oh and the suburbanites going to Cubs Games. They are the worst. Friday and Saturday night there are a lot of drunkards. But better they are on the train than on the road...

I've ridden transit all over the US and in other cities around the world and there are some sketchy ass people riding them and they aren't tourists.

Pedestrian Sep 3, 2021 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9386538)
Plenty of the 5% of Americans that use mass transit.

5% is generous, btw.

Riding the bus in Memphis is not the same as commuting from the Upper Westside to Lower Manhattan at 8:30am.

I used to be a regular transit rider and I can assure you that wasn't because I can't afford a car. As a matter of fact, I own 2 cars and 2 motor scooters. But I keep 3 or the 4 (all but one scooter) in AZ. In SF, it was always more convenient to just jump on a bus and when I did so I rarely needed to transfer--most of the time I could catch a bus or LRV that took me within a block or two of my desired destination.

I do miss that. But as I've repeatedly said, I think a crowded transit vehicle may be one of the most risky venues there is for covid. Most of the time in SF you've got somebody else's face within 18-24 inches of yours, often several peoples'. And the ventilation is typically poor. If the windows are open, they are only open a few inches and there's not much air movement in and out of the vehicle. So I'm not riding right now.

Most of the busses in SF are a lot like commuting on the Manhattan subway: All seats taken, people packed into the standing room like sardines.

But the other bad part is that plenty of people board the rear doors and don't pay and these are the most unsavory element: The unwashed, the criminal, the folks you do NOT want to sit next to you. I've never been assaulted but I have had a guy get on with a pit bull that preceded to try very hard to get at the groceries I was bringing home.

Pedestrian Sep 3, 2021 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9386503)
There was a poor student who was hit by a stray bullet on a train here, but it's much more common for people to get hit by stray bullets on the expressways.

At the Richmond BART station they get hit by stray bullets from the street below. ON transit vehicles, it's more usually stabbings and those are not rare on platforms either.

twister244 Sep 4, 2021 3:19 PM

Now that I've spent a couple days in London, It's far exceeded my expectations....

Some masks on public transit, but many people with no masks.

Very few masks on the sidewalks.

Everything feels pretty open and normal here.

Thank god.

SIGSEGV Sep 4, 2021 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9386502)
We're not talking about suburbanites taking a train to a baseball game, or college kids going to school, or investment bankers with ear buds.

There's a reason why many public transit numbers are in decline in many cities of America despite rail extensions, it's because people feel more comfortable in cars (that includes uber and Lyft).

No it's largely because of sprawl-inducing public policy that makes high transit ridership nigh impossible. But it's besides the point of this thread, except somehow you think public transit is dangerous but COVID isn't...

arkitekte Sep 4, 2021 4:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9386538)
Plenty of the 5% of Americans that use mass transit.

5% is generous, btw.

Riding the bus in Memphis is not the same as commuting from the Upper Westside to Lower Manhattan at 8:30am.

Ha. I tried that once in 7 years of living in Memphis.

If you have other options, I'd recommend those be taken.


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.