SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

ardecila Apr 14, 2011 7:56 AM

There wasn't any money to move it over to Ashland. Building an entirely new viaduct would pose numerous challenges (crossing the Eisenhower, moving sewer pipes and utilities under the road, etc).

Plus, you'd get an unsightly viaduct running down the middle of Ashland. It's much better in an alley, where buildings can conceal the tracks and muffle the sound. It also means CTA doesn't have to worry so much about the aesthetics of the track and structure, and can sink more dollars into stations and other public areas of the system.

CTA Gray Line Apr 14, 2011 8:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 5240886)
Why would you move it? You can route it to Ashland if a Circle Line is ever built (doubtful in my lifetime) and in the mean time it's much more efficient where it is, seeing as it can go straight up from the Pink Line's route on existing right-of way without covering a busy street with either disruptive or extremely expensive (or both) elevated structures.

The ROW North of Lake St. has been extensively built over, and would require much acquisition and clearance to restore rail service.

ardecila Apr 14, 2011 7:45 PM

Yeah, but the neighborhoods (Ukranian Village, Wicker Park, Bucktown) would never allow a new elevated line to be built past their homes. If, God forbid, the Circle Line is ever built, it will be in a subway north of Lake Street.

J_M_Tungsten Apr 14, 2011 11:19 PM

Wacker drive expecting 125 concrete trucks tomorrow. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7600828.story

Baronvonellis Apr 15, 2011 1:49 AM

Do you know what those plastic pipes in Wacker Dr. are for? Are they for heating the street in the winter?

nomarandlee Apr 15, 2011 1:51 AM

A new ORD express rail site now open......

Quote:

http://www.ordexpressrail.com/

O'Hare Airport Express Rail Service Launch of Website and RFI & I

The Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) and the O'Hare Express Blue Ribbon Committee announce the launch of the O'Hare Airport Express Rail Service website (www.ordexpressrail.com) and the release of a Request for Information and Interest (RFI&I) for the development of a rapid passenger rail system connecting Chicago's Central Business District and O'Hare International Airport.

The Chicago-O'Hare Airport Express Rail Service is envisioned to provide a world-class, expedient, convenient, efficient, and reliable link between downtown Chicago and the City's global gateway - O'Hare International Airport. Chicago's Central Business District is the City's and State of Illinois' major center for business, tourism, conventions, hospitality, entertainment, cultural attractions, restaurants and shopping. This service will alleviate traffic congestion on the region's roadways and is intended to be independent of, but supplemental to, other mass transit system connections.

The website will provide the public and interested parties with information and updated progress on the development of this vital infrastructure link between the two major economic centers..........

CTA Gray Line Apr 15, 2011 9:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 5241995)
A new ORD express rail site now open......

Let's choose up sides for convenience:

I am first on the "It'll Never Happen - For Good Reason" side.

emathias Apr 15, 2011 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 5241017)
The ROW North of Lake St. has been extensively built over, and would require much acquisition and clearance to restore rail service.

But that has nothing to do with the Paulina Connector.

Mr Downtown Apr 15, 2011 4:03 PM

^The Paulina Connector—back when it was just the main stem of the Met—extended all the way north to Milwaukee Ave. Today, the only real purpose is to interconnect the system; it's the only way to get rolling stock from the Blue Line to the rest of the network. To get state money to rebuild it, CTA pretended it was the first phase of a "Circle Line," but the state called their bluff and told them to run revenue service over it or give the money back. So CTA had to invent the Pink Line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 5241992)
Do you know what those plastic pipes in Wacker Dr. are for? Are they for heating the street in the winter?

No, probably for post-tensioned rebar rods. Post-tensioning the slabs allows them to be several inches thinner than the old slabs.

Beta_Magellan Apr 15, 2011 5:10 PM

Doesn’t the Pink Line also help with resource utilization and frequency—by being separate from the Blue Line the Cermak branch can run shorter trains at higher frequencies.

emathias Apr 15, 2011 5:11 PM

I finally sat down to describe how I think my suggestion for a real airport express/downtown circulator might actually operate, and I sent it to that new group advocating for a private airport express, telling them a public/private partnership that did more than just a West Loop to O'Hare run might be syngergistically far better.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5052/...1258020a_b.jpg

What I sent them:

Quote:

Dear ORD Express group:

Over the years there have been a lot of suggestions for express or enhanced rail service between Downtown and O'Hare. There have also been at least two different proposals for a "downtown circulator" that would tie together the West Loop Metra stations with the East Loop and Michigan Avenue.

I understand that your proposal is for a private enterprise to build and run an express train between downtown (probably from the West Loop) to O'Hare, with little to no public funding. However I'd like to propose a hybrid idea that would be a public-private partnership that would add considerable benefit to both the airport express idea and the downtown area circulation.

Attached is a very rough illustration of what I'm proposing. Basically a high-speed route between downtown and ORD would be built - I chose an alignment that roughly parallels the CTA Blue Line, however the exact routing doesn't matter for my purposes - you could run it along a Metra route or even in a deep tunnel subway with the same basic result. The bulk of my suggestion applies downtown, where I propose a large circulor subway be built (the exact streets could be changed to suit needs, but for example) such that it runs north-south along Clinton and Columbus/Fairbanks, and east-west along roughly Chicago and Adams.

For express trains, there would be not one, but two downtown departure stations. One in the West Loop, to serve the West Loop CBD, and one roughly near Watertower to serve the business and tourist district along Michigan Avenue. I know that your plan includes checking in downtown and shuttling people straight to the secure areas of O'Hare - my plan can still accommodate that, even with sharing tracks with a non-secure shuttle, by using sidings at the two departure stations to isolate people departing for O'Hare. Referencing my attached graphic, the departure station at Watertower would depart west, and not stop until O'Hare, bypassing the circulator station shown at Franklin. By only having one station between it and exiting this new Loop, it would minimize conflicts. Likewise, the West Loop departure station would bypass the Fulton-area circulator station on its way to O'Hare.

On return runs, for arriving passengers, the trains could make all stops between their entry to the New Loop and their terminus. The runs could alternate entry directions, and if they enter clockwise, they would terminate (and become a new departure train) at the West Loop station, and likewise if they enter counter-clockwise they would terminate at the Watertower station. By using sidings, passenger access can be controlled fairly simply, while allowing arriving passengers to be dropped at one of several stations closer to their final destination. Stopping at local stations on the arrival runs is not a security problem because the trains can be cleared at the Departure station before allowing departing passengers on board by the simple use of waiting areas and secure gates.

So in addition to the increased speed between downtown and O'Hare, my proposal adds several significant advantages:

1) Reduces total arrival travel time to final destinations for most arriving passengers by increasing the stations they can arrive to downtown.
2) Reduces total departure travel time for people departing from the Michigan Avenue district
3) Simplifies travel for people who travel from the North or South sides to downtown who want to use the express to O'Hare - they can easily transfer from the Red Line to the Watertower station instead of having to travel to the West Loop, which is not an easy transfer to make.
4) Creates a circulator to improve transit accessibility between the West Loop, the Central Loop, the Michigan Ave corridor and the emerging River North/Kingsbury area (current home of Groupon and other fast-growing tech companies).
5) Together, this both induces additional ridership for the express through easier use and greater benefit, and by greatly expanding the number of people with convenient-enough access to it to make it competitive with taxis and existing rail service.

These are not small advantages, and I hope you share my belief that despite the cost increases associated with this plan, the overall increases in benefits make the additional investment well worth it.

the urban politician Apr 15, 2011 5:44 PM

^ Interesting suggestions. Hopefully somebody up there takes a look at it (although how much do you want to bet you'll get a response like "our focus is on ORD-Downtown express, any other projects are outside of our scope" since, after all, why would we ever engage in regional planning?)

Emathias, given the fact that they are seeking private capital from an entity outside of the United States who simply may not understand Chicago's mass transit needs, have you considered a way to present your proposal so that 1. Private investment towards a ORD-Downtown terminus can begin first and thus yield revenue, and 2. The latter portions (downtown circulator) that involve more public money can be phased in over time?

Finally, why is Daley forming a committee for a long term project 1 month before he leaves office? The future of this project is really up to Rahmbo at this point.

CTA Gray Line Apr 15, 2011 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 5242560)
But that has nothing to do with the Paulina Connector.

The Humboldt Park, and Logan Square Met routes operated in the
same N/S alignment North of Lake St. up to Milwaukee Ave., as the remaining Paulina Connector (Pink Line) South of Lake St.

The old 'L' bridge over the UP West ROW remains as a UP signal support; but there has been much construction over the rest of the old Met 'L' ROW since.

Google Earth: 1700 W. Lake St., Chicago and you can follow the old Met 'L' ROW North to Milwaukee Ave., and see all the new construction: http://www.google.com/maps?source=ud...e+St.,+Chicago

emathias Apr 15, 2011 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 5242732)
The Humboldt Park, and Logan Square Met routes operated in the
same N/S alignment North of Lake St. up to Milwaukee Ave., as the remaining Paulina Connector (Pink Line) South of Lake St.

The old 'L' bridge over the UP West ROW remains as a UP signal support; but there has been much construction over the rest of the old Met 'L' ROW since.

Google Earth: 1700 W. Lake St., Chicago and you can follow the old Met 'L' ROW North to Milwaukee Ave., and see all the new construction: http://www.google.com/maps?source=ud...e+St.,+Chicago

I'm sorry I didn't add "as it currently exists" to my sentence. I'm well aware of the history, however that's all it is today - history.

Mr Downtown Apr 15, 2011 6:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beta_Magellan (Post 5242663)
Doesn’t the Pink Line also help with resource utilization and frequency—by being separate from the Blue Line the Cermak branch can run shorter trains at higher frequencies.

I think that's open to debate, particularly since nearly half the line's mileage is non-productive replication of other services.

Haworthia Apr 15, 2011 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 5242783)
I think that's open to debate, particularly since nearly half the line's mileage is non-productive replication of other services.

There is another issue where more frequent than necessary service gets ran on the Forest Park branch of the blue line. If you live along this line, I imagine it's rather nice, but I don't think the ridership is there to justify that service level. I suspect the old configuration of a Douglas and Forest Park branch of the Blue Line was a more efficient system.

ardecila Apr 15, 2011 9:03 PM

Yeah, but the CTA short-turns trains after UIC-Halsted, so the Forest Park branch has half the frequency of the subway and O'Hare branch. Previously, they just ran every other train to the Douglas branch.

VivaLFuego Apr 15, 2011 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5243015)
Yeah, but the CTA short-turns trains after UIC-Halsted, so the Forest Park branch has half the frequency of the subway and O'Hare branch. Previously, they just ran every other train to the Douglas branch.

I think there are only around 6-7 daily short turns at Morgan Middle Track --- it's definitely not every other train.

Beta_Magellan Apr 16, 2011 12:42 AM

Looking at the Blue Line schedule, it seems like, in addition to turning around at UIC-Halsted (only five trains according to the schedule), some trains seem to be held in Desplaines Yard after running south from O’Hare and through downtown during rush hour, so inbound frequencies are in the 7-10 minute range, not the 3-4 minute range of the O’Hare Branch. This leads to kind of a weird situation where the reverse commute trains on the Forest Park line running at higher frequencies than the regular commute. So peak headway is little bit longer than on the Green Line’s Lake Branch (6 min, IIRC), and both have around the same ridership (~27,000 weekday boardings on non-downtown stations), so I don’t think the line’s inbound frequency is too high.

Upgrading the interlocking and third track behind UIC-Halsted was proposed in the late nineties as part of the Schaumburg extension of the Blue Line—O’Hare trains would continue to Forest Park and Cermak, whereas the new Schaumburg service would end at UIC-Halsted. I don’t see any reason (besides money, of course) why they couldn’t do this now—it could also help boost frequencies for reverse commuters on the O’Hare branch, who definitely are a larger market.

ardecila Apr 16, 2011 1:33 AM

I'd prefer if they relocated the holding track to west of the Medical Center station. With 900k boardings in 2010, it has more traffic than Clinton or LaSalle, but much more than stations further west. Plus, it would allow for a high frequency of service to a major employment center (in 2010, Medical Center captured more riders than Polk, despite a less-convenient location).

CTA has a massive four-track right of way, with extra room for station platforms, so they can put the holding track anywhere, and construction is a breeze.