SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

chris08876 Mar 14, 2020 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centropolis (Post 8861716)
im a hazardous materials manager and manage a superfund site so my entire career is managing small disasters so im enjoying this on some fucked up level.

Its a giant show. Seeing the ants scramble. Life is a show Centropolis.

Hopefully we are around to see the global warming show as well. By 2050, things should get interesting.

On a side note, great news. I'm sure you have your CHMM. Lots of potential with that credential.

Centropolis Mar 14, 2020 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8861734)
Its a giant show. Seeing the ants scramble. Life is a show Centropolis.

Hopefully we are around to see the global warming show as well. By 2050, things should get interesting.

On a side note, great news. I'm sure you have your CHMM. Lots of potential with that credential.

actually i take my test in three weeks but ive already been transitioning into the role over the past year so im not a certified hmm yet but hopefully soon will be. hoping to finish the 1000 page text this weekend!

austlar1 Mar 14, 2020 5:19 PM

I've been texting with a friend who normally lives in Madrid. She and her husband (a Spanish national) have a second home on the Costa somewhere, and they left Madrid yesterday to try to sit out the worst of it on the coast. She said Madrid now has several THOUSAND cases of covid-19, and every potential gathering place has been closed. Bars, restaurants, theaters, museums, etc. She is very worried that the local hospitals, which are of a very high standard, are being overwhelmed with acute cases. My friend is 73 and her husband is 70. She also said that just about any Madrid resident who owns a place on the coast has left the city. Of course that leaves about 5 million less fortunate souls to fend for themselves in the metropolis. Sounds very spooky.

chris08876 Mar 14, 2020 5:41 PM

Traffic is lighter in NYC. Posted in GE section, but I figure its applicable as it concerns traffic...

Light traffic in NYC today. I was also looking at the DOT Cams, and avenues or high ways (especially in the outer boroughs) are very empty. If one is familier with the area, highways like the Belt or Cross Bronx, even on a Saturday, are really never this light. Same thing replicated zoomed in on the local routes.

I'd imagine partially attributed to some folks either staying home or curtailing some activities. Just replicated throughout the region.

I noticed the other day, getting into the Holland Tunnel, around 830 am, easiest time I've had in ages going in. No hurdles. Ussually, at 0830, its a f'n nightmare, but man, what a reduction. Some folks working from home helps to mitigate traffic.

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...4ed97e4cdd.png

chris08876 Mar 14, 2020 5:41 PM

Anybody notice lighter traffic in your city??? Like weekend or even weekdays?

uaarkson Mar 14, 2020 6:00 PM

Traffic in Genesee County is light enough as it is, so when it dips it's noticeable. There are definitely way less people on the road right now. Meanwhile, my little brother's pizza store is off the hook with deliveries.

Obadno Mar 14, 2020 6:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8861876)
Traffic is lighter in NYC. Posted in GE section, but I figure its applicable as it concerns traffic...

Light traffic in NYC today. I was also looking at the DOT Cams, and avenues or high ways (especially in the outer boroughs) are very empty. If one is familier with the area, highways like the Belt or Cross Bronx, even on a Saturday, are really never this light. Same thing replicated zoomed in on the local routes.

I'd imagine partially attributed to some folks either staying home or curtailing some activities. Just replicated throughout the region.

I noticed the other day, getting into the Holland Tunnel, around 830 am, easiest time I've had in ages going in. No hurdles. Ussually, at 0830, its a f'n nightmare, but man, what a reduction. Some folks working from home helps to mitigate traffic.

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...4ed97e4cdd.png

Downtown San Diego is deader on a Saturday than I’ve seen in some time. It’s also been rainy tho

austlar1 Mar 14, 2020 6:24 PM

Traffic is light around Austin this afternoon.

https://www.sigalert.com/Map.asp?lat...=-97.68046&z=2

Obadno Mar 14, 2020 6:28 PM

The I-10 west out of downtown Phoenix is awful as per usual

I think the world would actually need to end for that to change though :haha:

chris08876 Mar 14, 2020 6:39 PM

^^^^

Phoenician's out in mass buying toilet paper. I'm monitoring the situation on roads near Wal Marts or Costco's. If there is a massive spike in traffic, I know that the toilet paper shipments have arrived.

Obadno Mar 14, 2020 6:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8861930)
^^^^

Phoenician's out in mass buying toilet paper. I'm monitoring the situation on roads near Wal Marts or Costco's. If there is a massive spike in traffic, I know that the toilet paper shipments have arrived.

Idk like I said I am in San Diego atm

My local Safeway was pretty cleared out on Thursday of toilet paper.

Most of the city is suburban enough and on a grid so I don’t think traffic would change too much from panic buying.

Pedestrian Mar 14, 2020 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8861923)
The I-10 west out of downtown Phoenix is awful as per usual

I think the world would actually need to end for that to change though :haha:

When I go home to SF I take the Gila Bend-Buckeye bypass and by the time I-10 gets to Buckeye it's almost always at the limit (fingers and toes crossed).

Pedestrian Mar 14, 2020 7:40 PM

Looks about normal in the Bay Area for a Saturday morning. I-80 in Emeryville bumper to bumper as always, minor backups getting on and off Bay Bridge.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...214738/enhance
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...913078!5m1!1e1

Obadno Mar 14, 2020 8:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8861969)
When I go home to SF I take the Gila Bend-Buckeye bypass and by the time I-10 gets to Buckeye it's almost always at the limit (fingers and toes crossed).

There are two bypasses now, state route 85 and also the 202 loop south just opened in December and a 3rd reliever set to be built from the i-17 to the 85 as a toll road reliever to I-10

Doesn’t matter still a nightmare

craigs Mar 14, 2020 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8861976)
Looks about normal in the Bay Area for a Saturday morning. I-80 in Emeryville bumper to bumper as always, minor backups getting on and off Bay Bridge.

Except Bay Area traffic is not normal at all; everyone is staying home, because 1) it's raining and 2) there's nothing to do. Usually, when there are things to do like sports events, shows, concerts, etc., weekend traffic is much worse than the map you are showing.

Weekend traffic feels like rush hour on these jammed Bay Area freeways
Nico Savidge
Bay Area News Group
Updated December 13, 2019

On some of the Bay Area’s busiest freeways, the bumper-to-bumper traffic of weekend warriors can rival the worst of the work-week commute, according to data this news organization analyzed from the traffic analytics firm INRIX.
. . . .
https://i0.wp.com/www.mercurynews.co...2C9999px&ssl=1
. . . .

Now compare the normal heavy weekend traffic with this, grabbed two minutes ago:

https://images.dailykos.com/images/7...JPG?1584217356

Not even the bridges or toll plazas have traffic. Nothing is normal here right now.

Pedestrian Mar 14, 2020 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigs (Post 8862002)
Except Bay Area traffic is not normal at all; everyone is staying home, because 1) it's raining and 2) there's nothing to do. Usually, when there are things to do like sports events, shows, concerts, etc., weekend traffic is much worse than the map you are showing.

Now compare the normal heavy weekend traffic with this, grabbed two minutes ago:

The map I posted was "grabbed" from Google about an hour ago. If you think it's inaccurate, complain to Google. While traffic does appear somewhat lighter than your "normal" examples (not all that much, really), it looks similar to what I experience driving back to my "shitty modern condo" (as I believe you called it) in the city (almost always on a Saturday) from my "shitty" old Territorial townhouse near Tucson. Maybe the biggest difference is not in San Francisco at all--it's on 580 in the Tri-Valleys which can get really backed up on weekends as people are out shopping. The traffic maps I looked at today show only a minor backup westbound approaching 680 northbound.

rsbear Mar 14, 2020 8:32 PM

Went to the Ralph's supermarket in Studio City (Los Angeles) this AM. Whereas the produce section was fully stocked on Wednesday, there were no fruits at all and veggies were almost all gone. No meat at the butcher area. I didn't look at the packaged meats. Almost all dairy gone. No milk. No eggs. Some bread. The processed meat section was nearly empty. I didn't bother looking for canned food. All healthy frozen food was gone. A good amount of crappy frozen food was available. I bought a large frozen lasagna.

Obadno Mar 14, 2020 8:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsbear (Post 8862007)
Went to the Ralph's supermarket in Studio City (Los Angeles) this AM. Whereas the produce section was fully stocked on Wednesday, there were no fruits at all and veggies were almost all gone. No meat at the butcher area. I didn't look at the packaged meats. Almost all dairy gone. No milk. No eggs. Some bread. The processed meat section was nearly empty. I didn't bother looking for canned food. All healthy frozen food was gone. A good amount of crappy frozen food was available. I bought a large frozen lasagna.

All these people stocking up on quality foods, I stuck to the non essentials frozen pizza, beer, bags of chips and frozen diners. High calorie low space foods. I WILL SURVIVE

Pedestrian Mar 14, 2020 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8862011)
I WILL SURVIVE

Video Link

craigs Mar 14, 2020 8:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8862006)
The map I posted was "grabbed" from Google about an hour ago. If you think it's inaccurate, complain to Google. While traffic does appear somewhat lighter than your "normal" examples (not all that much, really), it looks similar to what I experience driving back to my "shitty modern condo" (as I believe you called it) in the city (almost always on a Saturday) from my "shitty" old Territorial townhouse near Tucson. Maybe the biggest difference is not in San Francisco at all--it's on 580 in the Tri-Valleys which can get really backed up on weekends as people are out shopping. The traffic maps I looked at today show only a minor backup westbound approaching 680 northbound.

The map at the end of my post was grabbed at 1:21 p.m. and shows no traffic anywhere, including the locales identified in the linked article as having heavy weekend traffic.

You can get as pissy as you want, you are still wrong to declare from 850 miles away that traffic is normal for a Bay Area weekend. It is not. In addition to social distancing in reaction to COVID-19, it's also raining, so the parks and beaches are not a great option even though they're technically "open." Well, there is one place with lots of traffic--eastbound 80 into the Sierra Nevada ski resorts.