SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

mhays Jul 16, 2020 4:12 AM

You're not wrong, craigs. We can also blame the sort of entitled douchebaggery that's shared in this thread.

As for Hugo Boss, I was watching a WWII documentary on Netflix...Hugo Boss designed and made the Nazi SS uniform. How are they not completely toxic now?

SIGSEGV Jul 16, 2020 4:29 AM

What masks is everyone sporting?

At first I wore some crappy mask that my sister-in-law made and mailed us (when it was all but impossible to find anything). Now I've been wearing a Chicago-flag mask I picked up from Walgreen's for a few bucks.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw...-no?authuser=0

dave8721 Jul 16, 2020 4:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8982409)
Parts of the US reopened indoor restaurants/bars too early is the short answer, I think. Also our contact tracing infrastructure (or compliance?) is probably shittier, although I dont' really know for sure, since I don't hear anything about contact tracing here, which makes me think it must be super shitty.

Florida reopened bars and restaurants about a month and a half ago as did Texas and Arizona. Didn't go so well. They are back closed again and basically the shut down cycle has had to start over from square one.

kool maudit Jul 16, 2020 7:28 AM

It's not useful to map US cultural symbolism onto Europe at this point. Our death rate is in pronounced decline. Nobody in Stockholm, where mask use is incredibly marginal (you can walk around all day without seeing one), is thinking about Donald Trump or US-style "don't tread on me" rationalizations when they go outside. He is profoundly unpopular here, but has also become a very background, distant thing.

Swedish policy, flawed as it has proven to be, was and is based on the idea that most people will eventually be exposed to Covid-19, and the measures taken were only taken to make sure the flow into the healthcare system was a steady one.

There is no defiant or oppositional cultural meaning to going maskless here. It's just totally normal, for better or worse.

chris08876 Jul 16, 2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8982786)
You're not wrong, craigs. We can also blame the sort of entitled douchebaggery that's shared in this thread.

As for Hugo Boss, I was watching a WWII documentary on Netflix...Hugo Boss designed and made the Nazi SS uniform. How are they not completely toxic now?

I could care less what they designed and for who, Hugo Boss makes some good clothing. High quality clothing too. I love their leather jackets and suits. Whats done is done. That's in the past now. Time to move on (speaking in general as a concept, not to you directly). Also, from a fashion perspective, emotion aside, those uniforms did look sharp, yah gotta admit. Some sexy looking uniforms, from a fashion standpoint.

It would be like saying Mercedes Benz is toxic because the Mercedes Benz 770 was driven by SS Officials.

Regardless of history, I'll continue to wear Hugo Boss and drive a Benz because its a good product. And I implore others to do so. Don't let moronic PC folks in the media and SJW folks tell you otherwise. German products are great.

chris08876 Jul 16, 2020 12:08 PM

Yesterdays Corona update (for NJ):

Video Link

For those that didn't see it. Can just fast forward where applicable.

austlar1 Jul 16, 2020 8:08 PM

Rather long but interesting article discussing the economic impact thus far of covid 19 on Boomtown Austin. Ignore the hyperbolic headline. It is actually a pretty good look at things here in Austin regarding the near term outlook for business and real estate. https://marker.medium.com/austin-was...t-6d5f5a332e04

destroycreate Jul 16, 2020 9:38 PM

So I have a lot of friends in Scandinavia who 1.) Don't believe in masks whatsoever and refuse to wear them 2.) Are socializing and partying. I've seen countrless people on IG stories at packed night clubs/warehouse events in Copenhagen - no social distancing whatsoever.

It seems like this trend is pretty common throughout Europe right now based on people I follow in other countries too. Lots of hang outs indoors, group dinners, very busy restaurants etc.

I certainly admire (and am envious) that so any Euro countries were able to effectively contain the virus, but is it just me, or are things oddly laisse-faire suddenly over there? Is it too pre-mature?

chris08876 Jul 16, 2020 10:10 PM

Via latest news for NYC, Alcohol can only be sold to folks ordering food AND seated at a table.

An establishments that receives 3 violations will be shut down. Egregious violations, they can lose their likherlicense.. um... liquor license I meant!

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...23854a334.jpeg

This is going to really suck for businesses given that ethanol is a big source of revenue for some places.

homebucket Jul 16, 2020 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by destroycreate (Post 8983570)
So I have a lot of friends in Scandinavia who 1.) Don't believe in masks whatsoever and refuse to wear them 2.) Are socializing and partying. I've seen countrless people on IG stories at packed night clubs/warehouse events in Copenhagen - no social distancing whatsoever.

It seems like this trend is pretty common throughout Europe right now based on people I follow in other countries too. Lots of hang outs indoors, group dinners, very busy restaurants etc.

I certainly admire (and am envious) that so any Euro countries were able to effectively contain the virus, but is it just me, or are things oddly laisse-faire suddenly over there? Is it too pre-mature?

Give it 1-2 weeks, then we will see.

kool maudit Jul 17, 2020 8:22 AM

I don't know about Denmark, which was much stricter about COVID-19, but in Sweden it is not a case of "coming out of lockdown". The bars and patios have been packed ever since summer began, and there was never any real shift in social attitudes or wearing of masks. Shops, bars and restaurants have been open the whole time.

The truth is, our bad numbers are near-entirely a result of an incredibly poor handling of elderly care situations. People were never really just catching this in the road, and I think the average age of coronavirus fatalities is still higher than the average life expectancy.

Investing In Chicago Jul 17, 2020 1:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8982786)

Many German based companies (that existed in the '30s and '40s) helped with the Nazi effort, including Mercedes, Bosch, VW.

kool maudit Jul 17, 2020 2:04 PM

And US-based ones like Ford.

Centropolis Jul 17, 2020 5:41 PM

https://talkingpulp.files.wordpress....12/lumberg.gif

u.s. be like “here’s a job application, boss” to nazis

Centropolis Jul 17, 2020 5:48 PM

*starts convulsing*

J.P. Morgan, T.W. Lamont, the Rockefeller interests, General Electric, Standard Oil, National City, Chase, and Manhattan banks, Kuhn, Loeb and Company, General Motors, Ford Motor Company...

*explodes*

oss be like “wait why are we fighting the nazis its the reds”

Crawford Jul 17, 2020 6:11 PM

The Nazis were quite popular in the U.S. in their earliest years.

Henry Ford loved Hitler, the Catholic Church supported him. At least they weren't leftist libtards, and Hitler was just Making Germany Great Again. There were actually large Nazi rallies and even Nazi summer camps, in the U.S. And Jews were widely considered bad hombres.

All this got swept under the rug after Pearl Harbor and in the postwar "Greatest Generation" mythology, but Hitler could have plausibly won the Presidency here in the U.S.

Centropolis Jul 18, 2020 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8984381)

All this got swept under the rug after Pearl Harbor and in the postwar "Greatest Generation" mythology, but Hitler could have plausibly won the Presidency here in the U.S.

i dont know maybe but the u.s. was actually built upon the platform that hitler was desperately trying to create in less than a generation (and got policed) in all of that ugliness so there was no need for that here. 3000 straight miles of lebensraum. no need for nazism as it was done.

the u.s. was the time machine fourth reich.

iheartthed Jul 18, 2020 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8984381)
The Nazis were quite popular in the U.S. in their earliest years.

Henry Ford loved Hitler, the Catholic Church supported him. At least they weren't leftist libtards, and Hitler was just Making Germany Great Again. There were actually large Nazi rallies and even Nazi summer camps, in the U.S. And Jews were widely considered bad hombres.

Not to go too far off subject but... Much of that pseudo-science proclaiming the "Aryan race" to be the pure human form and the pinnacle of humanity started in the U.S. America gave Hitler the guide book to create the Nazi movement.

Centropolis Jul 18, 2020 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8985261)
Not to go too far off subject but... Much of that pseudo-science proclaiming the "Aryan race" to be the pure human form and the pinnacle of humanity started in the U.S. America gave Hitler the guide book to create the Nazi movement.

yeah. as i was alluding to hitler only got in trouble because he was trying to compress hundreds of years of american empire into a generation in the middle of europe instead of kansas and that was a bridge too far.

Yuri Jul 18, 2020 8:58 PM

I was examining the moving average daily deaths in the US and Brazil and that’s very worrisome.

While Europe peaked, plateaued there for 2-3 weeks and then watched a sharp decline, both countries reached the peak, stayed there and there’s no signs of receding.

The infection simply doesn’t go away, making impossible for people to resume their normal lives.