SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

nickw252 May 26, 2016 9:28 PM

If that's supposed to be a semi-accurate rendering of the building then those are really tall floors. Look at the size of the pedestrians. Also, the roof of the building appears to go up to about the 8th floor of the building to the left of it. I suspect that this was just a lousy rendering that was quickly thrown together.

Obadno May 26, 2016 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 7454472)
Boy was I disappointed when I saw this. This appears to be the office component for Block 23 (between Cityscape and Colliers). A three-story office building...on that land? Why the fuck even bother? You can build a 20-25-story building and get it leased out in no time. There are very few contiguous blocks of big space that companies are clammering for. Instead some suburban bullshit like this? And, I'm guessing the Fry's is going in this building as opposed to the residential tower (which appears in the background at a decent height). I'm pissed. That's all.

http://pdf.leeazmail.com/pdfs/Block%2023.jpg

That cant possibly be a serious rendering

dtnphx May 26, 2016 9:51 PM

I see your point, but it says three-story office building. I'm guessing the first floor will be quite tall, but the perspective that it's approximately 8 floors is a matter of an optical illusion. Still rather crapola for such an important parcel.

muertecaza May 26, 2016 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 7454520)
I see your point, but it says three-story office building. I'm guessing the first floor will be quite tall, but the perspective that it's approximately 8 floors is a matter of an optical illusion. Still rather crapola for such an important parcel.

Yeesh. If you think ~20 ft. for the Fry's, a couple levels of parking above that, and then 3 stories of office above that, that would definitely be disappointing. I wonder if the ad just means there will be 3 stories of "creative space" in addition to other space?? That's the only saving construction I could possibly give to it.

Freeway May 27, 2016 12:10 AM

What is the need for another 20-25 story building with high vacancy rates downtown and along the Central Corridor? I'm glad to see a building that is in scale with demand. Having a building there is better than a vacant lot. With a Fry's on the bottom level, it should see much more pedestrian activity and should "interact with street" (I think that's the term urban planners use) a lot more than some superblock like the US Bank Building or Chase. Focus more on pedestrian activity than feeling like you're in some lifeless urban canyon. Downtown Phoenix is much more interesting with people on the street than some highrise building that does nothing but shade the sidewalk.

biggus diggus May 27, 2016 12:19 AM

Every big city's downtown is not full of only high rise buildings...

combusean May 27, 2016 12:57 AM

Most of those non-highrises are either built to scale for the lot size, were built during a crummy economy, or are historic in some fashion when they were built for their time.

For 2016, a 5 story building on a critical block like 23 is stupid.

Similarly stupid is the idea that a 5 story building is better than a vacant lot. That might work for a Rust Belt suburb but for a downtown block in a large growing city that notion is patently absurd. Downtown's vacancies are not that high, and Midtown is vacant because those towers are underparked and obsolete. And yes, you can have a Fry's that puts people on the street on the base of a much larger building, those two are not mutually exclusive...

I'd rather they not build anything at all or maybe leave a residential tower with an open pad for later development than a stub that will be there for decades.

Maybe Phoenix really is a Rust Belt suburb long past its prime if 150,000 square feet is all a developer can muster for a new office...

biggus diggus May 27, 2016 1:31 AM

If they thought they would make money on it they would build more, it's that simple.

Freeway May 27, 2016 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 7454682)
Most of those non-highrises are either built to scale for the lot size, were built during a crummy economy, or are historic in some fashion when they were built for their time.

For 2016, a 5 story building on a critical block like 23 is stupid.

Similarly stupid is the idea that a 5 story building is better than a vacant lot. That might work for a Rust Belt suburb but for a downtown block in a large growing city that notion is patently absurd. Downtown's vacancies are not that high, and Midtown is vacant because those towers are underparked and obsolete. And yes, you can have a Fry's that puts people on the street on the base of a much larger building, those two are not mutually exclusive...

I'd rather they not build anything at all or maybe leave a residential tower with an open pad for later development than a stub that will be there for decades.

Maybe Phoenix really is a Rust Belt suburb long past its prime if 150,000 square feet is all a developer can muster for a new office...

I don't get the reference about it being 2016 nor the reference about a five story modern structure being tied to a Rust Belt suburb. The fact is our economy is still weak here when it comes to many white collar jobs. Maybe it's different in SF, but our job growth here is really in the low wage sector. You point to Midtown as being under parked and functionally obsolete. What would make a high rise downtown any different? I work in Midtown and don't feel that my building is under parked or functionally obsolete. My company knocked down some walls and built the space that it needed. Other companies along Central that we work with have done the same. It's not like you walk in these buildings and the layout is the same as when they were built in the 1960s-1980s.

Phoenix is growing, but the professional job growth is not downtown, it's in Deer Valley, Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, and Gilbert. What point is there to just construct high rise office buildings because the city is growing? If there's no demand, it makes no sense.

It's better for the land to be developed for what is needed now instead of remaining vacant for who knows how many more decades. Downtown needs fewer vacant lots. If they are covered with buildings under 10 floors, so be it. I think most people realize that Phoenix is not in a position to compete with other regional cities for professional jobs. We don't have the large skilled workforce that cities like LA, Denver, or even Salt Lake have. We need to accept that Phoenix overbuilt high rise office buildings in past decades. There is no reason to continue that trend to prove to people that Phoenix is an important city with important people doing important things.

PHX31 May 27, 2016 6:26 PM

We all know your thoughts but your exaggerations are borderline trolling.

Obadno May 27, 2016 6:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7454716)
If they thought they would make money on it they would build more, it's that simple.

I usually agree with "the market" in most cases but in this location I think the city should use some muscle, if the only thing that can pencil on this lot is 3 stories then they shouldn't approve it. Id rather leave it as an event plaza (something that actually works pretty well now) than a building that should be in Gilbert town center.

The vacancy rates downtown are sub 20% with high demand for both housing and office. More than three stories can pencil, red is not infallible.

dtnphx May 27, 2016 6:51 PM

Guys, I'm in commercial real estate. A Class A office building with huge floorplates and contiguous space would kill in this location. That's why a lot of larger companies can't go downtown because there isn't enough big space. To say that the vacancy rate is already high downtown is technically true (although lower than the overall Valley), Class A space downtown is in high demand. A three story building in this location is ludicrous.

exit2lef May 27, 2016 8:30 PM

Update on Forno 301, the Italian restaurant on the southwest corner of 3rd Ave & Roosevelt. I ate there today and asked one of the partners in the restaurant for the latest update. You may recall a few months ago that rumors started to circulate that this one-story building would be torn down to make way for a new apartment project. Apparently, they have until the end of the year to move out, but plan to relocate if possible during the slow summer. No new location to announce yet. When I asked about ground floor locations in new buildings like Union, the response was that those buildings want "Monte Carlo prices" (his words).

poconoboy61 May 27, 2016 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 7455373)
We all know your thoughts but your exaggerations are borderline trolling.

I see no exaggerations in his/her thoughts. If there's no demand, there's no demand.

biggus diggus May 28, 2016 1:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7455379)
I usually agree with "the market" in most cases but in this location I think the city should use some muscle, if the only thing that can pencil on this lot is 3 stories then they shouldn't approve it. Id rather leave it as an event plaza (something that actually works pretty well now) than a building that should be in Gilbert town center.

The vacancy rates downtown are sub 20% with high demand for both housing and office. More than three stories can pencil, red is not infallible.

You're trying to make it too complicated.

plinko May 28, 2016 2:44 AM

This would be an amazing project in downtown Phoenix if it were at 1st and Fillmore or 4th and McKinley, but it's totally wasted on block 23. Nobody lives there, and even if most of the current projects in this cycle get built, the number of residents within 5-6 blocks in any direction will number less than 1,000. Sure, it's on the LRT, but I just don't see anybody living off Roosevelt and points northward coming down there. I could see people from the neighborhoods to the south using it. In the end, it'll be another auto-oriented destination in the city that is sorely lacking in the non-auto destination type developments.

If that's all RED can get off the ground at that site, the market in Phoenix is softer than I thought.

http://pdf.leeazmail.com/pdfs/Block%2023.jpg

azsunsurfer May 28, 2016 8:48 PM

There are many buildings like this in SF (near the FiDi) and ironically....they are filled with tech companies!!! So I see them attempting to emulate those successes. They've done their due diligence. Many tech companies avoid high rises, want aesthetics that are a mix of old and new, and demand high ceilings so they can do trendy things like raised floors/ mezzanines/ etc. So I am down. And no one here calls it Gilbert Town Center.....

Obadno May 28, 2016 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 7456348)
There are many buildings like this in SF (near the FiDi) and ironically....they are filled with tech companies!!! So I see them attempting to emulate those successes. They've done their due diligence. Many tech companies avoid high rises, want aesthetics that are a mix of old and new, and demand high ceilings so they can do trendy things like raised floors/ mezzanines/ etc. So I am down. And no one here calls it Gilbert Town Center.....

I do :cool:

PHX31 May 29, 2016 2:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poconoboy61 (Post 7455779)
I see no exaggerations in his/her thoughts. If there's no demand, there's no demand.

We've covered ad nauseam the white collar and tech companies moving or expanding downtown. And can't compete with salt lake city? Really? He's obviously been a troll/contrarian since being here, his user name is even a poke at this forum. having a different opinion is fine, and I agree with things he says sometimes, but obvious exaggerations for the sake of annoyance is stupid. Why even bother posting here.

floc34 May 30, 2016 6:55 AM

Adams street

http://dtphx.org/2016/02/26/renaissa...0m-investment/

What ever happened to this project that was suppose to start construction this month?...