SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

combusean Nov 7, 2015 1:08 AM

Confirmed: something brewing for NEC Central and Fillmore.

http://abimultifamily.com/wp-content...x-Analysis.pdf

300 units. That is absolutely a high-rise project.

CrestedSaguaro Nov 7, 2015 1:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 7226585)

This is the tipping point so many of us have been waiting for. Let the onslaught of development begin!

PHXFlyer11 Nov 7, 2015 2:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 7226585)

Interesting that is a giant ASU parking lot right now. I don't know if ASU owns the land however. If so, it is probably student housing. If the owner is simply leasing the lot then it could be a private development, but might be student targeted like University House or whatever they call the tower now across from Sun Devil Stadium.

Either way, that is good news, I just don't see it being anything other than student housing in that area (directly across from ASU).

ALSO

Edison now had a port-o-potty and some small equipment on site, moving dirt!

combusean Nov 7, 2015 2:59 AM

ASU does not own the land, but they did at one time.

They probably gave up on it because of the underground storage tanks which are rumored to be the ruins of an illegal liquor operation by Al Capone.

biggus diggus Nov 7, 2015 3:15 AM

I have been in that old bowling alley, it's very frightening but I wish it could be part of a development in the further.

KevininPhx Nov 7, 2015 3:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7226643)
Interesting that is a giant ASU parking lot right now. I don't know if ASU owns the land however. If so, it is probably student housing. If the owner is simply leasing the lot then it could be a private development, but might be student targeted like University House or whatever they call the tower now across from Sun Devil Stadium.

Either way, that is good news, I just don't see it being anything other than student housing in that area (directly across from ASU).

ALSO

Edison now had a port-o-potty and some small equipment on site, moving dirt!

They had an official groundbreaking this week. I think on Thursday.

PHX31 Nov 7, 2015 3:34 AM

The NWC of central and McDowell is under construction. And they totally didn't include whatever is under construction near 3rd st and McDowell (the old spring hill suites I think it was).

biggus diggus Nov 7, 2015 3:46 AM

And they included all of the things Laffy Taffy isn't going to build at 12th and Washington.

RichTempe Nov 7, 2015 4:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 7226349)
From the architect of Central Station's website...

http://www.berkelhamer.com/mixed-use-09.php

That couldn't possibly be what's going up on the NEC of 3rd and Roosevelt?

Traffic is already pretty congested along Roosevelt, and especially at that intersection, during rush hour. With Illuminate, Linear and Union already going up it's sure to get worse. I can't even imagine how bad that corner would become with a 24 story tower on it (even though it would be cool to see!)

PHXFlyer11 Nov 7, 2015 2:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichTempe (Post 7226856)
Traffic is already pretty congested along Roosevelt, and especially at that intersection, during rush hour. With Illuminate, Linear and Union already going up it's sure to get worse. I can't even imagine how bad that corner would become with a 24 story tower on it (even though it would be cool to see!)

So we should stop building towers downtown because people are concerned about traffic?!? ... It comes with the territory. If people are overly concerned with local traffic, then downtown is probably not the place for them.

PHXFlyer11 Nov 7, 2015 2:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevininPhx (Post 7226716)
They had an official groundbreaking this week. I think on Thursday.

Wow, not sure how i missed this. Actually, it's funny because they are very active on FB, but failed to mentioned their groundbreaking on there. :shrug:

biggus diggus Nov 7, 2015 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7227088)
So we should stop building towers downtown because people are concerned about traffic?!? ... It comes with the territory. If people are overly concerned with local traffic, then downtown is probably not the place for them.

I guess you and I read his comment differently, I didn't see anything saying they shouldn't build more downtown, just a thought about traffic.

I agree that traffic downtown is going to be really shitty. It's already getting bad, it takes me 10 minutes or more to get from my condo to my office a mile away. 7th Street is getting stupid congested, McDowell has been ridiculous the last month or so, it's coming, it's not good or bad... it just.... is.

PHXFlyer11 Nov 7, 2015 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7227365)
I guess you and I read his comment differently, I didn't see anything saying they shouldn't build more downtown, just a thought about traffic.

I agree that traffic downtown is going to be really shitty. It's already getting bad, it takes me 10 minutes or more to get from my condo to my office a mile away. 7th Street is getting stupid congested, McDowell has been ridiculous the last month or so, it's coming, it's not good or bad... it just.... is.

I have a theory, and it's not just snowbirds. I think people leave work earlier when it gets darker earlier. Seems traffic has nearly doubled in the last couple weeks.

But, that's all downtown's, not just phoenix. It should do wonders for housing and retail and more people will find it more beneficial to live closer to work and amenities, and more amenities should come closer to them.

CrestedSaguaro Nov 7, 2015 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7227365)

You could probably walk that mile faster. Just sayin' ;)

Edit*
Just for the sake of argument, the traffic around the Downtown Phoenix is nothing like the headaches of Mill, University, Rural and Apache...especially during rush hour...yet no one is complaining about more density and developments in Tempe. So not sure why anyone would be worried about Phoenix?

biggus diggus Nov 7, 2015 9:04 PM

I wish I didn't need my car throughout the day or I would walk.

And who is worried about the traffic? No one has expressed any worry.

RichTempe Nov 8, 2015 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7227476)
I wish I didn't need my car throughout the day or I would walk.

And who is worried about the traffic? No one has expressed any worry.

Well, since I live in Roosevelt Square, I'm a little worried for one. I wish I could walk everywhere too, but since I can't, traffic is a bit of a concern trying to get out of the neighborhood when I do drive. It was simply an observation, not a call to halt development.

During rush hour there are Rapid buses, commuters coming out of downtown and commuters coming back in. There is a bottleneck with the 2 lights at Central/1st Ave & Roosevelt and then again at 3rd/4th St & Roosevelt. I think some of that could be alleviated with better timing on the lights, but maybe not due to the LRT throwing things off at Central & Roosevelt.

I like living downtown and all the new projects that are happening. In fact that's why I've stayed there for over 7 years. Hopefully, the increased congestion will encourage more people to use alternate forms of transportation, but that may take a while. In the meantime, for people who actually live right on Roosevelt, it's a valid concern. And no, I'm not a NIMBY before anyone goes there. Like I said in my original post, it would be cool to see a 24 story tower at the NEC of 3rd & Roosevelt, but have some concerns about the impact it could potentially have. Anyway, it's a moot point really since that's not what is going in there anyhow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7227441)
You could probably walk that mile faster. Just sayin' ;)

Edit*
Just for the sake of argument, the traffic around the Downtown Phoenix is nothing like the headaches of Mill, University, Rural and Apache...especially during rush hour...yet no one is complaining about more density and developments in Tempe. So not sure why anyone would be worried about Phoenix?

All the streets you mention, with the exception of Mill, are multi-lane whereas Roosevelt is more like Mill Ave; 1 lane in each direction with relatively closely spaced traffic lights. Again, I wasn't complaining (we can leave that to Freeway), just making an observation. :)

biggus diggus Nov 8, 2015 12:14 AM

I'm with you, I didn't interpret your post or anyone else's post as whining, complaining, worried, or a call to halt development. Just, as you say, an observation.

What's going to be really interesting is to see how it is all handled by the current infrastructure. Let's be real, the streets downtown have all been designed to handle a small density of traffic and as it increases we will start seeing more and more gridlock. I assume someone is planning for all of this so I'm just going to wait and see what happens :)

doppelbanger Nov 8, 2015 12:33 AM

While downtown can get a bit of traffic particularly during rush hour on streets like Jefferson/Washington, Van buren, Roosevelt and 7th street, the streets on the northern side of downtown get very little. I use streets like between Filmore and Roosevelt to cut across downtown quickly when I can although this may change due to the amount of new construction in that area.

HX_Guy Nov 8, 2015 4:47 AM

Whats the 900 unit City of Phoenix project at 355 N 5th Ave?

PHX31 Nov 8, 2015 2:11 PM

/\ i'm pretty sure the RFP that was controversial and reissued.