SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

denizen467 Sep 29, 2010 3:15 AM

^ Even if it's just 1 or 2 bypasses along the Kennedy? What if they do zero construction and just outfit the B37 terminal and run 45-minute-ride premium railcars? Please let it be known.

LaSalle.St.Station Sep 29, 2010 6:01 AM

Does anyone have a diagram of Metra Electric's existing operational right of way under Millenium Park and Illinois Center? Is it still feasible to run transit cars up to the river ?

denizen467 Sep 29, 2010 7:01 AM

Not sure about what's at the bottom of 1IC and 2IC, but theoretically it could snake up the Beaubien alignment all the way to the river.

Mr Downtown Sep 29, 2010 7:23 PM

Don't forget that the existing Metra Electric tracks extend almost all the way to South Water.

In the early 70s, space was supposedly saved for a future subway station on the lower level of Illinois Center, though I've never checked exactly where. A similar easement was put in the Cityfront Center PD (because I remember Chicago Dock & Canal demanding a sunset date on that). These anticipated an alignment under Stetson, though, for the Monroe Distributor subway.

Busy Bee Sep 29, 2010 7:50 PM

Miesian architecture aside, Illinois Center is such a miserable failure when it comes to urban design. Horrible circulation, bad juxtaposition/interaction between buildings and drab and uninviting grounds. It was really a product of its era. I wish a more urban friendly [mega]development could occur that pulled people from the corner of Mich and Wacker (either side of 333Mich) instead of walled them out - and yes a rail station entrance at that corner would be fantastic.

PS - anyone have an image of that old rendering of the proposed Illinois Center back in the 20's before the crash killed it?

bnk Sep 30, 2010 10:16 AM

Can this be right...??? http://www.ceosforcities.org/pagefil...artXSFINAL.pdf

Quote:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...n-urban-sprawl

Your commute could be worse

Chicagoans spend less time in rush-hour traffic than any other major city, report says

September 28, 2010|By Jon Hilkevitch, TRIBUNE REPORTER

Phil Velasquez, Chicago TribuneA new study has found that commuters travel shorter distances to work in the Chicago region on average compared with residents of other metropolitan areas in the U.S., resulting in less time wasted in morning and evening rush-hour traffic here than any other major city.

The report by the nonprofit group CEOs for Cities does not downplay the negative impact that traffic congestion causes to the economy and to the quality of life across northeastern Illinois.

But it points out that weak or nonexistent land-use policies in many other regions of the country, resulting in urban sprawl, carry a higher price, including longer commuting times between home and work.

The report's ranking of mobility in 51 cities found that Chicago-area residents spend the least time in rush-hour travel. In Chicago and some of the other best-performing cities — including New Orleans, New York, Portland, Ore., and Sacramento, Calif. — commuters typically spend 40 fewer hours a year in peak-hour travel than the average American, the report said.

In metro areas with the worst urban sprawl — including Nashville, Detroit, Indianapolis and Raleigh, N.C. — residents spend as much as 240 hours per year in rush-period travel on average because commuting distances are much longer, said the report, which was produced with the support of the Rockefeller Foundation.

ardecila Sep 30, 2010 4:28 PM

I don't think the results of that study are impossible. Although we have one of the smallest highway lane-miles per capita of any major city, we have a massive transit system, second only to New York in terms of daily ridership.

While the highway/arterial system is terrible at serving suburb-downtown commutes, it meets the needs of suburb-suburb commutes quite nicely. The major transit system meets the needs of the heavily concentrated traditional commute into the city.

More importantly, CEOs for Cities didn't start as part of the Texas Department of Transportation, so it doesn't produce studies that advocate more and more highways in response to increased population.

ardecila Sep 30, 2010 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 4991749)
Can somebody make these North Shore people aware that $80 million is all it will take to maintain uninterrupted service during construction AND give Metra a third track to allow for future expansion?

I'm sure the $80 million would magically materialize from somewhere, with all the influential people who ride that train.

Looks like I called it (sort of).

Metra press release from today:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metra press release
UP North bridge project postponed, original schedule to be reinstated Oct. 3

UP North bridge project postponed, original schedule to be reinstated Oct. 3

Feedback from riders and communities along the Union Pacific North line regarding recent schedule changes has prompted Metra to postpone the project to rebuild 22 bridges on the line until next spring and reinstate the line’s original schedule with a two-track operation starting Sunday, Oct. 3.

Metra’s new Union Pacific North schedule will begin Sunday, October 3. The new schedule can be viewed here.

Metra changed the UP North schedule on August 22 in order to accommodate an unprecedented plan to use a single track for inbound and outbound trains in the construction zone. Metra would not normally have taken the drastic step of using a single track, but that approach is more economical than trying to maintain a two-track operation and we felt our limited resources required us to attempt to make it work.

But while we made a good-faith effort to use that approach, our riders made it clear that the new schedule was not meeting their needs. And while we tried to address that schedule’s deficiencies, it was not possible to fix the problems in one area without adversely affecting other areas.

We will now revert to the schedule that had been in use before August 22. And we are exploring engineering options that provide for maintaining a two-track operation when construction resumes in the spring.

I can only assume the postponement means an engineering change, which could mean a reinstatement of the third track. Metra quoted a cost difference ($80 million) to Aaron Renn of keeping the third track, so clearly they had already considered the possibility with some detail.

Of course, it's also possible that Metra will find another avenue to keep two tracks through the construction zone. Logistically, however, it will be much more complicated unless they reduce the track centers, which would allow for the possibility of a third track in the future.

denizen467 Oct 2, 2010 4:58 AM

^ Nice call.

Presumably they can improve the schedule a lot by just shortening the length of the single-tracking. I think it was going to be single track from the construction zone all the way to Clybourn or Ogilvie or something, but if they allow for a switchover closer to the construction zone, they can bunch fewer trains.

jpIllInoIs Oct 2, 2010 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 4999525)
Looks like I called it (sort of).

I can only assume the postponement means an engineering change, which could mean a reinstatement of the third track. Metra quoted a cost difference ($80 million) to Aaron Renn of keeping the third track, so clearly they had already considered the possibility with some detail.

Of course, it's also possible that Metra will find another avenue to keep two tracks through the construction zone. Logistically, however, it will be much more complicated unless they reduce the track centers, which would allow for the possibility of a third track in the future.

If your right Ardecila then I take back all of the bad things that I have said about you.....;)

M II A II R II K Oct 2, 2010 7:21 PM

The Combined Cost of Housing & Transportation in the Chicago Metropolitan Region

Full PDF Report: http://www.cnt.org/repository/DAHB.pdf

Quote:

Until recently, most discussion of housing affordability has focused exclusively on home prices, leaving out the second largest expense for most households: the cost of transportation. The resulting lack of clear information about the full costs associated with housing location has motivated inefficient development and spurred the “drive ’til you qualify” movement of households away from the city center in search of lower cost housing. In the last several years, the dramatic increase in foreclosure rates, often concentrated in remote exurbs, and the equally dramatic spike in gasoline prices around the country have revealed the vulnerability of households that choose locations based on an incomplete and often misleading understanding of the true costs.

- For nearly ten years, the Center for Neighborhood Technology has worked to bring transparency to the cost of location through an Affordability Index that
gives both housing and transportation costs at a neighborhood level. Thanks to support from the Searle Funds at The Chicago Community Trust, which
provided lead financial support for Driving: A Hard Bargain, CNT is able to offer a model for how H+T analysis can inform and guide regional planning. In
cooperation with the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP), the Chicago region’s metropolitan planning organization, CNT has produced this
customized analysis incorporating detailed, local datasets provided by CMAP and recommendations for sustainable growth targeted to municipal, regional
and state entities.

- While the Chicago metropolitan area is known as a relatively affordable place to live, with a reasonably priced housing market and the second largest public transportation system in the U.S., the region has not been spared the recent turmoil in energy and real estate markets and has struggled to meet demand for affordable housing and transportation. Faced with rising gasoline prices, over 70,000 new foreclosures in 2009 and congestion costs estimated by the Metropolitan Planning Council of approximately $7.3 billion per year, Chicago must plan for a future in which needs for low- and moderate-income housing are met, and families have access both to varied transportation options and clear information about their costs. An expected 27% increase in the region’s population, from 8.6 to 10.9 million residents between 2010
and 2040, and the considerable and increasingly well-recognized cost of carbon pollution mean that the decisions made today about housing location and transportation development are all the more important.

- This analysis of Housing and Transportation (H+T) costs in the Chicago region represents a major step toward sustainable development by revealing the true costs of living in the region and providing a comprehensive tool for understanding how burdens placed on families, public agencies and the environment can be minimized. The analysis will directly impact Chicago’s future development as a decision-making tool employed by the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) for its Go to 2040 plan and policies. The information presented in this report will also allow households to make more informed choices about where to locate and will enable communities to recognize development opportunities that provide truly affordable and sustainable housing and transportation options.

nomarandlee Oct 4, 2010 8:18 PM

Quote:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...restrooms.html

Union Station upgrade: Air-conditioning, more restrooms
October 4, 2010 12:05 PM | No Comments

The elegant but often-sweaty Great Hall of Chicago Union Station will be air-conditioned by next summer,and other improvements including more restrooms at track level are being added as part of a $40 million rehabilitation project announced today.

The new passenger-friendly amenities are intended to update the 85-year-old historic station at a time that Amtrak ridership has grown more than 40 percent in the last 12 years, officials said.

"This project is going to be part of the revival of passenger rail," said Tom Carper, chairman of the Amtrak board. Seating in Amtrak's boarding lounges at Union Station will be expanded to 950 seats, which is almost double the existing capacity, officials said.

The work, scheduled for completion in late 2012, will be followed by redevelopment of Union Station's headhouse building to include retail businesses..........

-- Jon Hilkevitch
More in link

nomarandlee Oct 4, 2010 8:25 PM

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...1688636.column

Daley says Chicago is ready for a super-fast train

Jon Hilkevitch
11:28 p.m. CDT, October 3, 2010

........But Daley said investors in China, South Korea, Japan and the Middle East are interested in designing, building and operating such a bullet train for Chicago.

........But Rodriguez said the CTA will explore other technologies beyond the heavy rail system that the authority has operated since its inception. One idea that interests him is a high-tech crosstown rail line running north-to-south across the entire city, perhaps on Cicero or Western avenues, above the traffic.

"Why not look at a monorail or some other system that would basically avoid the congestion on the streets?" Rodriguez said. "That is one of the things I would like to pursue to get north to south connected."

There's another consideration for Chicago when looking at the Chinese model. For the high price to build and maintain the Shanghai maglev, passengers are taken only part of the way to their destinations.

Because so much distance is required to accelerate and brake, the maglev train doesn't serve downtown Shanghai. It runs from the airport to the terminus of one of Shanghai's conventional subway lines on the edge of the city, where passengers must transfer to a slower train, or a taxicab, to reach downtown.

The distance between downtown Chicago and O'Hare is only about 15 miles. Such a short distance makes it difficult to justify the cost of the maglev system and its limitations in providing direct service..........
More in link

Busy Bee Oct 4, 2010 9:28 PM

A monorail? Is he joking? How about conventional heavy rail, like you know, the kind you already operate and have tons of experience with. Just put it up on a modern concrete elevated structure or sink it in a trench. It worries me we have officials actually using the word monorail when talking about transit aspirations. This isn't 1970. Conventional heavy rail is proven for high ridership rapid service. Monorail is not. The monorail would be a silly solution, not to mention a technological boondoggle. Yeah, give us the Mid-city transitway, just give it to us in the form of conventional CTA heavy rail or Paris RER style EMU's. Steer clear of the monorail route, its pure Futurama fantasy for a reason.

the urban politician Oct 5, 2010 12:27 AM

^ That's what happens when you replace the CTA chairperson every 2 years.

ardecila Oct 5, 2010 1:53 AM

Well, I could see a Vancouver-style light metro along Cicero, if it somehow posed a substantial cost savings over traditional heavy-rail.

People like to think of monorails as futuristic, but they haven't really been futuristic for 40 years. We've already been there, done that, and discovered that monorail technology has numerous drawbacks and practical problems. Tokyo is really the only place where they've made monorails work as a serious transport mode...

wrab Oct 5, 2010 2:55 AM

Rodriguez talking monorails has me questioning his competence to run the CTA. Maybe he meant elevated?

emathias Oct 6, 2010 3:44 AM

Monorails would be ok IF there was no rational way to need to route from the monorail routing to the existing rail routes.

In other words, if running a line over Cicero would never need to also turn east onto the Green or Blue lines, then a monorail is a big impovement over a bus route, and if it doesn't need to merge with existing rail, then what's the problem?

ardecila Oct 6, 2010 4:06 AM

Well, monorail technology is still very proprietary - every company produces a different, very specialized system. There aren't any standards or regulations, so CTA would essentially be tied to a single manufacturer forever, when track needs replacing, vehicles need replacing or major maintenance, etc.

For practical everyday purposes, CTA would need to train a whole crew in the maintenance and repair of monorail systems. This increases CTA's payroll, which adds quite a bit to the operating budget. A new heavy-rail line could just use the existing crews to perform maintenance and repair jobs.

It also gets quite complex and costly if you ever want a network instead of just a single line - switches on a monorail system are massive things that require a lot of complex machinery. Imagine sliding a huge concrete beam 9-10 feet to the left and sliding in another beam. A traditional rail system just uses frogs, little metal pieces that can be moved fairly easily with small motors.

Even light rail would be a better choice than monorail - light-rail systems are fairly common around the world, so there are standard construction practices, plenty of trained technicians available, and plenty of manufacturers to work with.

Really, the only advantage of a monorail system is aesthetics (due to a narrower guideway), noise (rubber wheels on concrete are quiet), and a slightly lower construction cost, because of simpler construction. In the long run, I doubt the advantages amount to anything, which is why monorail systems haven't taken over the world.

Most of those advantages would be a moot point along the Cicero corridor. Cost reduction measures would probably force the transit line onto the BRC viaduct two blocks east, where the narrower guideway of a monorail would confer no aesthetic advantage. Tracks on an earthen viaduct that are properly fastened to the track bed don't generate much noise, either, especially on straight segments - look at the Orange Line at Western or Kedzie. The construction cost would be reduced anyway, since the land acquisition costs would be small and there wouldn't be the nightmare of drilling piles down the center of Cicero.

Remy_Bork Oct 6, 2010 5:48 AM

I have to say that excites me a lot as a transit enthusiast, despite the silliness of the monorail suggestion.

I assume that they talk about the rail corridor east of Cicero whenever they mention that mid-city line. The city is covered with rail rights-of-way that could potentially be used as new lines if there was ever some decent money for them.

I especially think about that Bloomingdale line that runs through Humboldt Park being converted into a CTA branch. The park idea is kind of nice but seems like a waste when the valuable right of way could be put to transit use.

Does anybody have or know of any other reuse ideas similar to that one?

the urban politician Oct 6, 2010 2:46 PM

I still think the best place for a circumferential, mid-city line is along Ashland.

The Ashland corrider, for the most part, is pretty well built up, has seen a lot of new development, and seems to have the density to support it.

Western, on the other hand, is a lost cause IMO. It has already succumbed to the needs of the automobile and I suspect it would be far too difficult to turn things around. How are you going to redevelop all of those strip malls and auto dealerships into denser, pedestrian-oriented businesses? Not gonna happen.

And don't tell me that introducing a mass transit line will change that. I have yet to see any evidence that the Orange Line led to denser, transit-oriented development with the exception of a stop or two closer to downtown (and one can argue that those developments would have happened any way).

M II A II R II K Oct 6, 2010 4:17 PM

Chicago Red Line Extension Moves Forward as Some Push Cheaper Alternative

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...r-alternative/

Quote:

Last week, the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) announced that it had received $285,000 in planning money from the federal government to pursue a draft environmental impact study on the extension of the Red Line rapid transit corridor south to 130th Street. The agency says that this project, which will bring rail transit service to the city’s southeastern border, is its top priority.

Inhabitants of the city’s far South Side have for years complained that they are left out of the rapid transit system, which was extended along the Dan Ryan Expressway to 95th Street in 1969. Their community is the city’s poorest but residents suffer from long travel times to reach the Loop downtown. Decades of plans have suggested lengthening the route further south, but to no avail; in recent years, the CTA has primarily focused its capital funds on the renovation of the older parts of its network.

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/w...South-Side.jpg

spyguy Oct 6, 2010 11:59 PM

More laughs from the CTA

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...=Google+Reader

'L' station to take Harold Washington's name
Jon Hilkevitch October 6, 2010 11:22 AM

...The CTA board voted Wednesday to change the name of the Library-State/Van Buren rail station to the Harold Washington Library-State/Van Buren station.

...That it took this long for the CTA to adopt the change "is a form of racism," Blakemore said. "They are trying to deny a group of people their legacy."

Segun Oct 7, 2010 3:37 PM

Its already the longest CTA announcement by far so now its:

the next stop is Harold Washington Library-State/Van Buren

doors open to the left at Harold Washington Library-State/Van Buren

this is Harold Washington Library-State/Van Buren

transfer to Red Line trains at Harold Washington Library-State/Van Buren

Doors closing.

I think by that time the train has left.

the urban politician Oct 7, 2010 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 5007010)
That it took this long for the CTA to adopt the change "is a form of racism," Blakemore said. "They are trying to deny a group of people their legacy."

:rolleyes:

Stupidity

Nowhereman1280 Oct 7, 2010 4:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 5007706)
:rolleyes:

Stupidity

People as stupid as this Blakemoore person are why racism exists. If everyone were just a little less moronic then we wouldn't have these problems...

Chicago Shawn Oct 7, 2010 9:43 PM

Quote:

...That it took this long for the CTA to adopt the change "is a form of racism," Blakemore said. "They are trying to deny a group of people their legacy."
Or how about the fact it costs $19,000 to replace the signs, that doesn't have anything to do with it? Nope of course not, its just racism. Just like how your eligible for free rides on that same system, yup so much discrimination.

What a F****** retard. And how much money are you donating to this cause Mr. Blakemore? I know I'll be paying for it with reduced service if the operating budget needs additional trimming next year.

ardecila Oct 8, 2010 12:07 AM

I'm equally upset with the CTA for stubbornly NOT optimizing the station name. "Washington Library" would have done the trick. They could drop the "Harold" part and drop the "State/Van Buren" part.

DC seems to get along perfectly well naming their downtown stations after landmarks instead of streets and intersections. Even in Chicago, we have "Merchandise Mart". We don't call it "Kinzie/Wells".

ChicagoChicago Oct 8, 2010 4:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 5007010)
...The CTA board voted Wednesday to change the name of the Library-State/Van Buren rail station to the Harold Washington Library-State/Van Buren station.

Jesus Christ...Could they have made the name longer?

OhioGuy Oct 8, 2010 1:28 PM

They should have just gotten rid of the library portion and simply called it State/Van Buren. I don't want to see the el turn into something similar to the DC Metro with its ridiculously long station names.

Thundertubs Oct 8, 2010 1:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioGuy (Post 5008981)
They should have just gotten rid of the library portion and simply called it State/Van Buren. I don't want to see the el turn into something similar to the DC Metro with its ridiculously long station names.

U Street/Cardozo/African-American Civil War Memorial is the clunkiest station name ever, especially considering that the memorial is tiny and not even near the station.

How about just U Street?

10023 Oct 8, 2010 3:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thundertubs (Post 5008998)
U Street/Cardozo/African-American Civil War Memorial is the clunkiest station name ever, especially considering that the memorial is tiny and not even near the station.

How about just U Street?

Because everything in DC has to be a tribute to some interest group or another so that the politicians that propose said tributes can garner favor with said interest groups.

ardecila Oct 10, 2010 4:02 AM

So... CTA submitted an application for RTA funding to consider a Blue Line West Extension along 290/88.

This won't be a Federally-required Alternatives Analysis Study (required for New Start funding) but it will give CTA a direction to pursue.

I'm not sure whether this is a good idea or not. Providing transit to the I-88 employment corridor is a good idea, but running CTA's existing Blue Line trains to Oak Brook or Lisle is problematic, and the travel times would not be competitive. Hopefully the study will address the possibility of building express tracks between Forest Park and the Loop.

Quote:

Extension of CTA’s Blue Line west from the Forest Park terminal is included in CMAP’s GOTO 2040 Major Transportation Capital Projects, as a project recommended for accelerated project development. The Blue Line West Extension was also included in RTA’s Cook‐DuPage Corridor Study’s final Action Plan as a project for further study. The project involves extending the Forest Park Branch of the Blue Line further west along or near the I‐290 and I‐88 corridor into Central DuPage County. While the proposal extends as far as Lisle, an initial strategic extension to Oak Brook may take advantage of existing development patterns.

The project improves connections to Pace routes operating in Western Cook and eastern and central DuPage Counties. It would also interface with the proposed “J‐Line”. The Cook‐DuPage Corridor Study identified significant reverse commute and inter‐regional trips that would be served by the project.

The project is consistent with subregional plans: In addition to being recommended in the Cook‐DuPage Corridor Study, transit centers in a number of locations in the corridor (including Oak Brook and Yorktown Mall in Lombard) are recommended in the DuPage Area Transit Plan. The Village of Maywood in its 2008 Comprehensive Plan update sought to extend the Blue Line to First Avenue as either a terminal location or part of a larger extension to the western suburbs.
edit.. also found this in CTA's October President's Report...

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3271/ctatt.jpg

denizen467 Oct 10, 2010 11:22 AM

Has anyone seen that there is new illumination on the Wabash el supports at its intersections with cross streets -- a white (maybe LED) light has been placed inside the steel columns a couple yards above the ground, shining downwards. It's a rather nice addition though it's been carried out in a kind of half-baked way. Hopefully it's just the first step in something more ambitious.

Mr Downtown Oct 11, 2010 2:39 PM

^The one at Jackson & Wabash SWC went in about a year ago, presumably as the finishing touch in the Wabash Streetscaping project. I keep forgetting to look at the other corners to see how many were installed.

bnk Oct 14, 2010 7:19 AM

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....-today.html#tp
by Blair Kamin

October 13, 2010

Regional planners unveil vision for Chicago area in 2040

Share | Regional planners on Wednesday unveiled their vision for the Chicago area's future, calling for a new emphasis on fixing existing roads, raising the state gas tax to fund road maintenance and transit, and increasing the Chicago region's share of the state's road funding pie.

Called Go to 2040 and based on almost three years of research and public hearings, the plan was released by the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning, a little-known agency that is responsible for land-use and transportation planning in the seven-county Chicago area.

ardecila Oct 16, 2010 5:33 AM

I found this little tidbit when I was searching for an update on the South Shore's expansion plans.

Quote:

South Shore passenger service hit by electric rate hikes, recession
By PAULENE POPARAD
9/27/2010

In other business, from the audience Richard Watkun asked what the status is of the proposed West Lake extension that would bring South Shore tracks to Lowell and/or Valparaiso. “Has that become a dream that will never happen?” he asked.

[General manager Gerald] Hanas said a stumbling block is no local funding for the project. A new approach could be joint planning on a possible southeast extension of Metra service in Illinois that could save money with a coordinated NICTD project, Hanas explained.
Hanas probably just pulled this out of his ass, but if the SouthEast Service were to somehow be combined with the South Shore's Lowell corridor, that would be ideal. I'm envisioning a line running south from Chicago to Chicago Heights, then eastward to Dyer and then south to Lowell.

Politically, it could get the support of two states in Washington, which would be good, and it wouldn't run all the way out to effing Beecher, as in the current Metra plan. The Indiana side is already more developed. On the downside, it would lose the support of Will County, which wouldn't get any new service. (It could, potentially, be bundled with a Metra Electric extension to Peotone or Kankakee to appease Will County.)

Plus, it wouldn't require the electrification of further trackage in Indiana. That was always a flaw in the original plan - the freight railroads in Indiana refused to allow overhead wires to be strung above their tracks, so the South Shore would have had to buy dual-mode locomotives and coaches or - more likely - just run diesel-powered trains all the way up to Millennium Station. A dual Metra-NICTD train could be operated into LaSalle Street Station without sending polluting and inefficient diesel trains up the lakefront corridor, which will become all-electric in just a few years.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't solve the pressing problem, which is to find a local share of the cost. Indiana voters rejected the creation of a NW Indiana transit district that would have collected a sales tax to build the original lines, and many Indiana residents were skeptical about the usefulness of those lines. Illinois residents probably have a more clear understanding of the benefits of rail, but the state government is still massively broke.

Busy Bee Oct 16, 2010 2:08 PM

Whatever the routing, I still think we should be striving for electric operation. Good grief, this is the 21st century. The use of diesel to haul passenger trains should be diminishing, not expanding.

ardecila Oct 16, 2010 10:30 PM

Although one or two freight railroads have considered electrification, the freight industry overall is pretty resistant. This isn't Europe or Asia where the government owns the lines...

Busy Bee Oct 16, 2010 10:50 PM

Well if South Shore's Indiana line didn't operate under third-world catenary maybe they'd be more ambitious about expanding electric operations.

ardecila Oct 17, 2010 2:48 AM

^ This is true... but you can hardly expect them to run a first-class operation on a third-world budget.

If there was more support for expansion, then perhaps NICTD could build electrified lines along some of the abandoned rights-of-way in NW Indiana. There's a nice one that goes to Crown Point. That would get into the billions, though, like Colorado's plans.

Of course, there hasn't been a mad housing boom in Indiana, and the development that is there is very scattered, making it difficult to serve with a single rail line.

pip Oct 17, 2010 2:53 AM

im going to give props again to the CTA for it's cell phone text arrival times. I use it every time I go to the bus. Every single time, unless the bus is 'due' meaning almost there and I can see it. All my regular stops I have stored in my phone. It's also kinda easy to figure out as they appear in numerical order. 'R' for resfresh! haha the tracker says the bus arrives in 4 minutes, after 2 or so I refresh - why I don't know but I do.

VivaLFuego Oct 17, 2010 3:50 AM

Electrification for the sake of electrification won't be a convincing argument for public investment. On a per-passenger-mile basis, the capital cost of building and maintaining the electricity infrastructure for commuter rail would be far less efficient than diesel-electric locomotives. The other argument is in air quality, which had a lot more sway ~80 years ago compared to today. If service were on a half-hourly or more basis, electrification could start to make sense from a cost efficiency standpoint, but absent that any capital investment could be much more effectively spent elsewhere.

emathias Oct 17, 2010 4:09 AM

Movie with CTA

Netflix has a 1976 movie (I think it was a made-for-TV movie) called "Million Dollar Rip Off" that was set and filmed in Chicago about some con artists who plot to steal fare from CTA stations. The plot has them taking $1.5 million dollars from just 3 stations. That seems like an implausibly high amount of cash from CTA fares in the early 70s, but what do I know ...

Not a great film, but nice to see mid-70s Chicago and the CTA, and it stars Freddy Prinze (Sr.)

Chicago Shawn Oct 19, 2010 3:09 PM

The work crews at Grand and State shifted the plywood barriers this week on the Mezzanine level, exposing the finished parts of the station. Its looking very nice and it already feels more spacious. Not quite sure if its worth $67 million yet, but it is looking pretty good thus far. The stairs to the street include ramps for bicycles constructed out of polished black granite, with little bicycle symbols inscribed into it.

spyguy Oct 19, 2010 7:53 PM

Congress Parkway improvement starts Oct. 21

Quick refresher:
• Narrow and reduce lanes to provide wider sidewalks to accommodate heavier pedestrian traffic and landscape improvements, and decrease the crossing distance of intersections
• Interconnect traffic signals and install countdown pedestrian timers to improve the flow of vehicles and pedestrians through intersections
• Modify a State Street median to facilitate vehicles turning onto eastbound Congress Parkway
• Maintaining bicycle lane connection across Congress Parkway at Plymouth Court and adding bicycle parking
• Landscaped, irrigated medians with pedestrian refuge areas
• Install 20 in-ground planters and seating areas with decorative pavers, 57 above ground landscaped planters, and 71 new trees.
• A LED decorative lighting system, including freestanding fixtures in the median and lineal fixtures attached to decorative metal trellises and the viaduct walls under One Financial Place

Mr Downtown Oct 20, 2010 2:12 AM

^Yikes. I remember the winter they tried to do the Wabash streetscaping. Snowfalls would shut things down for weeks at a time, forcing pedestrians to navigate tenuous plywood bridges that couldn't be shoveled properly, and the quality of the concrete work suffered in a lot of places.

ardecila Oct 20, 2010 3:58 AM

Fortunately, Congress is the least busy street in the Loop for pedestrians. That's a big reason why the streetscaping is needed. CDOT might just close off whole stretches of sidewalk at a time.

I understand your point about winter work, though. It's a sad fact that we have a long and cold winter in Chicago, and unless we want all improvements to come to a halt, construction will have to continue into the winter.

Busy Bee Oct 20, 2010 4:26 AM

Wouldn't be much of an issue material wise if we didn't rely so much on concrete. I'd love it if the entire CBD of Chicago received paver sidewalks and granite curbs. Concrete just doesn't match the high quality environment nor does it hold up to weather and wear. But, I realize I'm dreaming - pragmatism will always when out, and concrete 99% of the time is the most affordable solution - and it looks good for a few years.

denizen467 Oct 21, 2010 5:46 AM

Speaking of Congress, is the Congress Bridge slated for completion this year or next?
Also, looking further westwards, is the Eisenhower resurfacing finished?