SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | NEMA Chicago | 896 FT | 81 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218570)

Skyguy_7 Aug 3, 2017 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned.B (Post 7883903)

But I assume that the parking must at least extend some into the constructed tower portion, as otherwise these south facing areas would have no windows.

As Harry noted, you can see a lot of green rebar in the tower portion, likely where parking ramps continue. Although, I see no rebar sticking out of the Southwest quadrant, which could mean these will be windows, which would be nice.

simon07 Aug 3, 2017 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intrepidDesign (Post 7883916)
Could this be why we've never seen a rendering of the south elevation? I've always been curious as to what this side of the building will look like. My guess is we will have a multi story blank wall until we hit the amenity deck.

It will be the largest blank wall in Chicago probably.

Kngkyle Aug 4, 2017 3:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simon07 (Post 7884037)
It will be the largest blank wall in Chicago probably.

Until phase 2 is built.... assuming it's built.

UPChicago Aug 4, 2017 1:52 PM

it seems like a blank wall if the model is accurate, they must be confident the second phase is going to happen.
https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a...D720/ry%3D480/

Steely Dan Aug 4, 2017 1:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPChicago (Post 7884584)
they must be confident the second phase is going to happen.

a phase 2 WILL be built.

it's just a matter of when.

the site is so ridiculously prime that even if it doesn't make it in this cycle, it will in the next one or two.

a lot zoned for a 900' tower at the corner of michigan and roosevelt with forever guaranteed lake and park views is not gonna sit vacant for the next 100 years.

UPChicago Aug 4, 2017 2:01 PM

^ I agree, I mean confident the proposed phase 2 design will be built.

jc5680 Aug 4, 2017 2:18 PM

Eh, maybe they are confident, but I don't think the design is really an indication of that. The large party wall is handled no differently than how other developments built to the lot line are.

Notyrview Aug 4, 2017 2:21 PM

If the market doesn't tank it could be 5 years

BVictor1 Aug 7, 2017 4:58 AM

08/04/17

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...081558/enhance

harryc Aug 10, 2017 12:37 PM

Aug 8

aaron38 Aug 10, 2017 5:33 PM

Bears game tonight. Is the tower crane visible from inside the stadium yet? From what I hear, watching this climb into the skyline may be the most exciting part of the games this season.

And can someone estimate what height the crane is at? I've been keeping a watch for it, and can easily see 1160 S. Michigan (~500ft) but can't pick out the crane yet.

Pioneer Aug 10, 2017 8:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 7884588)
a phase 2 WILL be built.

it's just a matter of when.

the site is so ridiculously prime that even if it doesn't make it in this cycle, it will in the next one or two.

a lot zoned for a 900' tower at the corner of michigan and roosevelt with forever guaranteed lake and park views is not gonna sit vacant for the next 100 years.

Looking at the render, it looks like the second tower will be ~960-980'. Any chance it becomes a supertall? That would be so nice down there.

J_M_Tungsten Aug 10, 2017 11:47 PM

These look good as a pair, but I would rather the next tower be different. I was always partial to the original site plan where all 4 building were different. Yes, some were whimsical in design, but the variety was interesting.

KWILLSKYLINE Aug 11, 2017 1:33 AM

^^^ I loved the original design of tower three with that half oval curve all the way up. Tower four was almost like this current design but it was plated gold.

skyscraper Aug 11, 2017 1:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer (Post 7889699)
Looking at the render, it looks like the second tower will be ~960-980'. Any chance it becomes a supertall? That would be so nice down there.

No chance Phase 2 will be supertall. The area is zoned for max 900' to the ceiling of the highest occupied unit. You can have mechanical levels, etc, above that, but they wouldn't have 100' of unoccupied mechanical space.

BVictor1 Aug 11, 2017 1:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 7889914)
No chance Phase 2 will be supertall. The area is zoned for max 900' to the ceiling of the highest occupied unit. You can have mechanical levels, etc, above that, but they wouldn't have 100' of unoccupied mechanical space.

It's not like that 900' "threshold" can't be changed.

Al they have to do is ask...

Kumdogmillionaire Aug 11, 2017 6:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7889916)
It's not like that 900' "threshold" can't be changed.

Al they have to do is ask...

Yeah, the guy is acting like height limits have never been changed in the history of Chicago. I mean Helmut Jahn's building may have had a reduction to 832ft, but that is well above what was the original Michigan Avenue height restrictions.

skyscraper Aug 11, 2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 7890051)
Yeah, the guy is acting like height limits have never been changed in the history of Chicago. I mean Helmut Jahn's building may have had a reduction to 832ft, but that is well above what was the original Michigan Avenue height restrictions.

It may be possible for the restriction to change, but I am telling you as a guy who worked for Vinoly and spent 9 months of my life on the design of phase 2 that it is not going to be supertall.
unless that changed since I left....:D

Kumdogmillionaire Aug 11, 2017 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 7890073)
It may be possible for the restriction to change, but I am telling you as a guy who worked for Vinoly and spent 9 months of my life on the design of phase 2 that it is not going to be supertall.
unless that changed since I left....:D

Well the designs have already changed multiple times, so it seems very possible to me that the height would change over time. All depends on when these 9 months were.

aaron38 Aug 11, 2017 8:19 PM

Did the foundation support it? (Getting ot I know).