SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina | Pubs and Restaurants (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212747)

pappcam May 14, 2019 4:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoJim (Post 8572730)
Not a huge shock, considering that most people have moved from buying music on CDs (uncompressed digital audio) to MP3s and streaming (highly-compressed lossy audio), e.g. Convenience tends to trump quality for most people.

Or it could be that people actually enjoy Tim's coffee and don't participate in the internet hive-mind circle jerk bemoaning and running down anything and everything. They probably have more important things to think about.

PhotoJim May 15, 2019 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 8572816)
Or it could be that people actually enjoy Tim's coffee and don't participate in the internet hive-mind circle jerk bemoaning and running down anything and everything. They probably have more important things to think about.

Tim's is fast, convenient, cheap enough, and good enough. That's why people buy it. Those that care for something higher-end buy something higher-end.

I personally don't judge others' purchasing decisions (everyone is different). We seem to talk about restaurant choices a lot on this thread. I definitely prefer local restaurants to chains. But you know something? Sometimes I crave Swiss Chalet or Domino's, and sometimes we're traveling and the restaurant that's right next to the hotel or right in front of us on our drive is more enticing than finding just the right place. I went to an Olive Garden in Vancouver, Washington two years ago, e.g. because we'd been driving for ten hours and we were tired and hungry and it was super convenient (and actually decently tasty). We made up for it the next morning by buying doughnuts at the famous Voodoo Donuts in Portland.

Meanwhile, I'll buy my music on compact discs and rip it and transcode it myself. :)

Festivus May 15, 2019 9:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoJim (Post 8572730)
Not a huge shock, considering that most people have moved from buying music on CDs (uncompressed digital audio) to MP3s and streaming (highly-compressed lossy audio), e.g. Convenience tends to trump quality for most people.

Most people also don't listen to lossless recordings in a perfect acoustic environment, they use their car stereo or small earbuds. There is no reason to own lossless music unless you have a specific need for it. Also, research has shown that the quality of music (specifically dynamic range) has improved with music streaming becoming the most popular form of distribution. I though that was interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoJim (Post 8574015)
Tim's is fast, convenient, cheap enough, and good enough. That's why people buy it. Those that care for something higher-end buy something higher-end.

People also have different tastes. You could tell me that a certain cigar is the best in the world, but I'd counter that it tastes horrible because they all do (in my opinion). Wine is a good example, where quality has almost no correlation to price when blind taste tests are carried out.

PhotoJim May 16, 2019 3:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 8574516)
Most people also don't listen to lossless recordings in a perfect acoustic environment, they use their car stereo or small earbuds. There is no reason to own lossless music unless you have a specific need for it. Also, research has shown that the quality of music (specifically dynamic range) has improved with music streaming becoming the most popular form of distribution. I though that was interesting.

That's quite true, but I want the option of listening to my music losslessly in a good environment. I can make my own .mp3s or .oggs from my lossless .flac files if I care about size (and indeed, I have done exactly this and that is what is on my phone, for convenience). Buying lossy music robs me of the choice.

Quote:

People also have different tastes. You could tell me that a certain cigar is the best in the world, but I'd counter that it tastes horrible because they all do (in my opinion). Wine is a good example, where quality has almost no correlation to price when blind taste tests are carried out.
Quite right. Life would be boring if we all liked the same things.

sastaunik44 May 27, 2019 6:25 PM

Glitters restaurant closed after 30 years of business

Draftsman May 27, 2019 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sastaunik44 (Post 8585849)
Glitters restaurant closed after 30 years of business

...due to a ill health.

sastaunik44 May 30, 2019 9:41 PM

That I don't know, Was Pat sick?

Draftsman May 30, 2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sastaunik44 (Post 8590008)
That I don't know, Was Pat sick?

No, it is his wife.

sastaunik44 Jun 10, 2019 6:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 8590062)
No, it is his wife.

That's sad they were very nice people

djforsberg Jun 10, 2019 7:25 PM

Heard Hasbeans has closed due to “the owners committing fraud against each other.”

jigglysquishy Jun 10, 2019 7:28 PM

That location is cursed.

HomeInMyShoes Jun 10, 2019 8:22 PM

That location was great as Pasta Prima. Not so good as anything else.

Stormer Jun 10, 2019 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 8601068)
That location was great as Pasta Prima. Not so good as anything else.

I remember:

Fender's Diner
Pasta Prima
The Nest
Has Beans

What else?

Draftsman Jun 10, 2019 10:44 PM

It was built as a Bonanza Steakhouse.

Stormer Jun 10, 2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 8601257)
It was built as a Bonanza Steakhouse.

Thanks. I knew it was something before Fenders. In fact I remember going there as a kid.

BrutallyDishonest2 Jun 11, 2019 2:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 8600989)
That location is cursed.

It's not really cursed, it's just a pricey market. South Albert has held its value yet lost a lot of its draw. Large restaurants are difficult nowadays and for small local restaurants to pay that much in rent isn't simply sustainable. They probably need to redevelop the site or hold-out for a chain.

UPP Jun 11, 2019 2:45 AM

Sadly Tony Roma's continues to soldier on:uhh:

drm310 Jun 11, 2019 3:56 AM

So do I. I thought it was a real treat to have dinner at Bonanza when I was young. I forget when it closed, but my parents and I had stopped going there for years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 8601302)
Thanks. I knew it was something before Fenders. In fact I remember going there as a kid.


Draftsman Jun 11, 2019 1:33 PM

Speaking of restaurants on South Albert, the former Keg/Hickory building, which had sat empty for several years, finally has a new tenant. India House is making a return to Regina and this will be their new home. India House was one of Regina's first Indian restaurants (if not the first) and was located on Victoria Avenue at Atkinson Street.

Draftsman Jun 11, 2019 1:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPP (Post 8601501)
Sadly Tony Roma's continues to soldier on:uhh:

The only thing sad about Tony Roma's is that they aren't as busy as they used to be due to the ever increasing costs of running a restaurant. I love their ribs (best in town) but at $29.00 for a full rack of baby backs it is too expensive for me, so it is just a place we go for special occasions.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.