SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Ann Arbor Construction updates (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150353)

Rizzo May 19, 2009 7:17 PM

Proposed underground garage for downtown Ann Arbor could violate state pollution laws, environmental law group says

by Judy McGovern | The Ann Arbor News
Friday May 15, 2009, 7:42 AM

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/...garage_fo.html

A Detroit-based environmental law group has sent the city of Ann Arbor a letter outlining what says is the basis for a lawsuit over the planned underground parking structure on Fifth Avenue.

The Great Lakes Environmental Law Center makes the case that the planned 677-space parking structure would harm air quality by facilitating more vehicle traffic in downtown Ann Arbor.

Secret discussions?

In addition to raising environmental arguments about the planned underground parking structure on Fifth Avenue, Noah Hall of the Great Lakes Environmental Law Center is questioning whether city officials violated the Michigan Open Meetings Act.
Rather than discuss questions about the structure openly, city officials exchanged e-mails during the public meetings at which borrowing for the project was approved.

Hall said he obtained private e-mail messages sent back and forth among half a dozen City Council members during that Feb. 17 meeting, via the Freedom of Information Act.

Round-robin phone conversations or e-mail that lead to a decision are at odds with sunshine laws when they involve a quorum of a given public body.

Hall says he has not filed a formal complaint.

That would violate state law, said Noah Hall, executive director of the law center.
City Attorney Stephen Postema had little to say about matter. "We'll review (it). Council's aware of it. I have no other comment on it."

An Ann Arbor resident, Hall teaches at Wayne State University where the law center is located.

He is married to Jennifer Hall, a former member of the city Planning Commission who now serves as chairwoman of the agency that proposed and would build and operate the parking structure, Ann Arbor's Downtown Development Authority.

Jennifer Hall was the only DDA member who voted against the structure, planned for the surface parking lot next to the Ann Arbor District Library. She also serves on the city's Greenbelt Commission.

Noah Hall sent his letter Thursday to the city officials on behalf of the Natural Resources Defense Council, the national Sierra Club and the Germantown Neighborhood Association - a new group in the near-downtown area south of William Street - and several individual city residents.

City officials had seen earlier drafts, said Hall, who says he had met with Postema, Mayor John Hieftje and others to review the concerns. The goal of the meetings, and Thursday's letter, was to see whether the matter could be resolved outside a courtroom, he said.

The emissions question revolves around whether the planned parking structure would actually increase the number of cars coming downtown. The Michigan Environmental Protection Act prohibits activity that is likely to pollute unless there is no alternative, Hall said.

If commuters are already coming in and parking in neighborhoods or elsewhere and there's would be no net gain, there's no harm.

However, that's not clear, said Hall. And research should be done.

If the new parking structure would ultimately replace other parking - such as some of what's now provided in surface lots - that would change the picture, too, he said.

But that fact that revenue from parking is to pay off the $38 million cost of the new structure creates some doubt about scaling back, Hall said. And there's no formal consensus much less a binding commitment.

There are a lot of unknowns, Hall said.

"Is it needed and can the need be met other ways? Is it going to create more CO2 and burn more energy or no? Maybe it's not, but I'd would like to see a real study."

Hieftje said he believed the city would be more than ready to defend itself. The mayor said he did worry that any litigation could delay what city officials think is a good time to do construction.

"We're really just replacing parking spaces that we've lost or could lose down the road," he said.

Jennifer Hall said Thursday the dispute is between her husband's clients and the City Council, and she doesn't foresee any conflicts.

There's no precedent for an environmental assessment of adding parking in Ann Arbor. Several structures have been rebuilt or expanded in recent years and several surface lots - officially temporary - have been added to the city's inventory.

The planned underground structure on Fifth Avenue did generate some debate because of its scale. City Council members trimmed it by 100 spaces when they approved borrowing for the project in February.

Judy McGovern can be reached at 734-994-6863 or jmcgovern@annarbornews.com.

Kingofthehill May 21, 2009 11:28 PM

!!

Rizzo Jun 10, 2009 9:43 AM

Shaman Drum To Close

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/..._arbor_bo.html

Not development, but it's a huge blow to independently owned business. In my eyes, this place is to Ann Arbor as General Motors or Ford to Michigan. I simply can't imagine State Street without it.

This bookstore is a rite of passage to the University of Michigan. Every graduate can recount at least one experience of waiting in the long line outside, then up the stairway to grab a piece of Zingermmans bread then navigate through the maze of rooms and doorways filled with books floor to ceiling.

The place was seriously something out of a movie. I wish I could experience it one more time. I really don't know what to say. I don't think I've ever been this upset about anything Ann Arbor related ever.

Jasoncw Jun 11, 2009 3:59 AM

I know that I buy most of my books from amazon.com. The others I get from Borders with their rewards coupons (30% off, etc.) which they desperately throw at me to get me to buy something (which I do!).

Did they have much of an architecture section? I think they carried some TCAUP professor's books, but the one time I was in there I didn't wander back deep enough to see what kinds of books they sold.

That's sad news though, I hope the literary arts center works out, and I hope that no one involved with the store was taken down financially with it.

Rizzo Jul 8, 2009 8:15 AM

Hey all. Since I'm graduated and no longer a student at U of M, my public server space is being reduced, and I have a monumental amount of data I need to keep online. Everything else, such as all my photo threads and update images, I'm going to delete. That means everything I've posted in this thread, will no longer be available.

Due to lack of attention, and since I'm moving away from Ann Arbor in a couple weeks, I'm going to no longer update this thread with articles or photos. The final update will be tomorrow, which will be North Quad, Michigan Stadium, Mott Children's, 411, Zaragon, Business School, and Hill Dining/MoJo.

If there are any other requests let me know. I'll keep the photos up for about 10 days, then I'll delete them.

Mid-Michigan Jul 19, 2009 4:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 4346487)
Hey all. Since I'm graduated and no longer a student at U of M, my public server space is being reduced, and I have a monumental amount of data I need to keep online. Everything else, such as all my photo threads and update images, I'm going to delete. That means everything I've posted in this thread, will no longer be available.

Due to lack of attention, and since I'm moving away from Ann Arbor in a couple weeks, I'm going to no longer update this thread with articles or photos. The final update will be tomorrow, which will be North Quad, Michigan Stadium, Mott Children's, 411, Zaragon, Business School, and Hill Dining/MoJo.

If there are any other requests let me know. I'll keep the photos up for about 10 days, then I'll delete them.

University of Michigan is actually my top choice school, today I wanted to see pictures of Ann Arbor and remembered you (Hayward) had tons of pictures. Really glad I came on today to check, since it seems like anytime now they will be deleted. Would have been shock to come and there were no pictures.

Rizzo Jul 19, 2009 11:30 AM

Ah, so maybe if you choose U of M you can continue the updates. Glad you appreciate the pictures! I'm really going to miss A2. Actually, I'm very depressed I'm leaving. I love this place so much. Everything about it is unique and fantastic. I just can't find anything similar elsewhere in Michigan

This past week has been incredibly busy with the art fair. It was nice to walk around a couple days and get some photos

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2276/...79cb16c6_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3524/...dcda0a86_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3439/...d30dd8e2_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2651/...d890f97a_b.jpg

subterranean Jul 20, 2009 5:05 PM

The real question: will you be joining the exodus from our Great Lakes State? I've had an RSS news feed for Michigan jobs on Indeed.com for a year or so, trying to keep track of any that become available, and I dare say there have been fewer than 20 openings. Of course, many municipalities only post on their respective Web sites, but it doesn't look good. What's our average graduating class at Michigan alone? 60?

Although it's not design-related, Assistant Director of Development just opened up in your and my hometown:

http://www.saginaw-mi.com/Government...of%20Devel.pdf

Best of luck, wherever you're headed. Honestly, I can't wait for this next year to be over ;)

Rizzo Jul 21, 2009 10:14 AM

Thanks for the posting, but I honestly think I'm on my way out of the state. Actually, my specialities are transportation planning and urban design, which are much easier to find elsewhere. Even if jobs were to be plentiful here, it's more of a choice to move to a different city to achieve the lifestyle I want, unless the job here in Michigan is just too good to pass or an opening to something better. My gateway drugs were Ann Arbor and traveling. I'll be moving back home for a bit, but I have enough saved up to move somewhere else if necessary before finding a job.

Good luck on this next year! Can't believe almost 3/4 of the summer has passed.

DecoJim Jul 21, 2009 9:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 4346487)

Would you be willing to rehost your pictures? Even if sites like flickr.com want annual fees for more than 200 pictures, you could try www.majhost.com which is a free photo hosting site with no limit that I am aware of. Of course, fixing links to existing threads on skyscraper page could be time consuming. Will you remain a SSP member?

Sorry to see you leave Ann Arbor and Michigan. I fully understand your feeling of sadness, I also wish I could of afforded to remain in A2.

Rizzo Jul 23, 2009 2:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DecoJim (Post 4368743)
Would you be willing to rehost your pictures? Even if sites like flickr.com want annual fees for more than 200 pictures, you could try www.majhost.com which is a free photo hosting site with no limit that I am aware of. Of course, fixing links to existing threads on skyscraper page could be time consuming. Will you remain a SSP member?

Sorry to see you leave Ann Arbor and Michigan. I fully understand your feeling of sadness, I also wish I could of afforded to remain in A2.

It would take a while to rehost them and all the threads I've done. The above pictures are from flickr so they'll stay, but I don't like hosting construction photos on my flickr, unless they are really interesting in some way.

Rizzo Jul 28, 2009 6:39 AM

It was recently brought to my attention that these buildings will be demolished on State street, but with facades preserved. A CVS is confirmed to be outfitted within the main space. All current businesses (including ones that just opened) will be vacated. This project has been approved by the historic district commission.

Demolish
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/kerrytown/hw12.jpg

Demolish
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aatop/aatop07.jpg

Preserve Facade/gut building (where CVS would likely go)
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aatop/aatop06.jpg

Sava will move across the street

Rizzo Aug 24, 2009 12:22 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxwduvuzn54

"hole" refers to the underground parking structure planned for construction downtown. The project is high speculative in that no one knows what will rise above it. Convention Center or hotel

"bridge" refers to the E Stadium overpasses which have been narrowed to two lanes because of weakening structural members. The bridges were built in the early 1900's. The road overpass has a federal sufficiency rating of 2 out of 100 and is functionaly obsolete, meaning it is eligible for federal support for full replacement.

DetroitMan Aug 25, 2009 11:10 AM

From Annarbor.com
New York investors proposing hotel and conference center for development in downtown Ann Arbor

Posted: 2:40 p.m. August 24, 2009

18 Comments. Comment Now

Picture a 15-story hotel and conference center rising from the top of a new underground parking structure in downtown Ann Arbor.

t could include up to 200 rooms, as well as a smaller number of high-level suites, with restaurants and shops at the street level. The roof of the conference center would be a summer garden open to the public with a skating rink in the winter. Inside the building, a spacious ballroom would seat up to 1,000 people.

That's one vision for the future of a city-owned parcel on Fifth Avenue, where the Downtown Development Authority plans to break ground next spring on a 677-space parking structure next to the downtown library.

The question now is: What goes on top of that parking structure?

Representatives for a group of private investors from New York confirmed today they'll be submitting a proposal for a hotel and conference center project, potentially costing $30 million to $50 million to build, and involving a public-private partnership. Details of the potential partnership have not been disclosed.

The group of investors is being represented locally by two Ann Arbor business professionals - attorney Bruce Elliott and business consultant Fritz Seyferth. Both were college roommates and football teammates under coach Bo Schembechler at the University of Michigan from 1969-1971.

“It will be a wonderful concept for the city,” said Seyferth, who doesn't yet want to disclose the identities of the investors or any specific project plans.

He said a detailed proposal will soon be coming to the city and also said at least two firms are involved, both with offices in New York.

The city announced on its Web site last week that it's soliciting proposals from private developers who may have a vision for what goes on top of the underground parking structure being built by the DDA. The city has set a Nov. 13 deadline for proposals for development of the 1.2-acre lot owned by the city at 319 S. Fifth Ave.

City Administrator Roger Fraser confirmed the city has been approached by representatives for the New York-based developers over the past year. In fact, Fraser relayed their vision to City Council members at a retreat in January.
http://www.annarbor.com/Library_Lot_RFP.png
“There's all sorts of things people would like to see there,” Fraser said of proposals for what's known as the Library Lot. “The RFP was very purposefully crafted to not have a set of expectations. We wanted respondents to the RFP to come to us having looked at the market, having looked at the community, and having made their best guesses as to what fits there and what works economically."

Fraser said city officials aren't yet leaning toward one idea over another, but noted the concept of a hotel and conference center is one that will be considered. He said the proposal includes a creative use of the parcel, such as the public park atop the conference center.

Vivienne Armentrout, a former Washtenaw County commissioner from 1997-2004, has been critical of the city in recent posts on her blog, claiming the request for proposals the city sent out are tailored for a “secret plan for the conference center.”

“The question of course, is: will this RFP truly be an opportunity for many competing ideas for the best use for the top of the underground parking structure? Or it is merely a vehicle for a 'done deal' to put into place the secret proposal mentioned in January?” she writes. “My conclusion: it is 'wired.'”

Armentrout reports that the proposal has strong support from a team called Valiant Partners LLC, which includes - in addition to Seyferth - New York resident Bruce Zenkel, a major donor to U-M's Ross School of Business and U-M Athletics; Michael Bailkin, a dealmaker from New York; and Keith D. Coe, CEO of VF Hotels.

The city's Downtown Plan, adopted by the Planning Commission in May, states a goal of the city to “support the private development of a downtown conference/civic center within the core area.” The plan also states the city is interested in investigating “the costs and benefits of public funding participation in the construction and/or operation of such a downtown visitor attraction.”

“A downtown conference center could have a significant, positive impact on the downtown economy, especially its retail sector,” the plan states.

Seyferth said his primary interest in the project is helping to move Ann Arbor forward. He said he's gotten positive feedback in the community about the hotel and conference center concept and believes there's a strong need for it in the community.

"This is not a convention center - it would be a conference center targeted to the intellectual properties that reside in the greater Ann Arbor community,” Seyferth said.

He said it could be a meeting place for high-level discussions about emerging concepts, for instance, in alternative energy or new battery technologies.

"We pride ourselves in the Midwest as being a hub of remarkable intelligence in Ann Arbor,” Seyferth said. “We're trying to say, 'Why don't we create a center here where we attract those people?'”

DDA Executive Director Susan Pollay said the parking structure and related infrastructure improvements over the next two years have been designed to accommodate a building as tall as 20 stories, in case there's interest in going vertical.

“We're designing the infrastructure to allow us to have that conversation,” she said. “We're putting in all the pieces so we can, as a community, talk about that vision, what should go there, what complements the library, what would be a really good connection that continues us between Liberty Street and William Street. There's infrastructure in place to support whatever it is we come up with.”

Ryan J. Stanton covers government for AnnArbor.com. Reach him at ryanstanton@annarbor.com or 734-623-2529.

LMich Aug 26, 2009 5:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitMan (Post 4423274)
Vivienne Armentrout, a former Washtenaw County commissioner from 1997-2004, has been critical of the city in recent posts on her blog, claiming the request for proposals the city sent out are tailored for a “secret plan for the conference center.”

“The question of course, is: will this RFP truly be an opportunity for many competing ideas for the best use for the top of the underground parking structure? Or it is merely a vehicle for a 'done deal' to put into place the secret proposal mentioned in January?” she writes. “My conclusion: it is 'wired.'”

To tell you the truth, before I even got to this part of the article, this is what I'd already figured. But, would it be wrong to say that I don't really care if it's rigged given the downtown's need for conference center hotel?

DecoJim Oct 19, 2009 8:03 PM

Here is an update on the North Quad student dorm. Scheduled for completion in 2010.

July 2009:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2579/...92b19056c6.jpg
Photo credit: Flickr user Eridony: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eridony/3933285260/

October 2009:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/...4512e82c8b.jpg
Photo credit: me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/decojim/4018596316/

October 2009 (closeup showing quality of stone and brick work):
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2562/...1fb307e390.jpg
Photo credit: me:http://www.flickr.com/photos/decojim/4018580070/

Rizzo Oct 23, 2009 6:00 PM

Thanks for those photos Jim. The masonry rose quickly on the State street elevation.

subterranean Oct 23, 2009 6:14 PM

I was quite surprised by that, too. It's looking great. I just wish the ground level would have been planned for better interaction with the road. Oh, well...what can you expect from university architecture?

Rizzo Oct 23, 2009 10:25 PM

Yes, it could have been a good opportunity to extend more retail or at leas have more transparency down to Huron.

Rizzo Oct 25, 2009 11:07 PM

Blaze Guts former Pinball Pete's, University Towers Damaged

http://www.annarbor.com/news/ann-arb...ty-and-church/

A friend of mine was living in a unit in U-Towers on the lower level facing the fire. All her stuff was destroyed

This is not the current Pinball Pete's which operates in the lower level of the Galleria Shopping Mall across the street.

DecoJim Oct 26, 2009 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 4523336)
Blaze Guts former Pinball Pete's, University Towers Damaged

http://www.annarbor.com/news/ann-arb...ty-and-church/

I think I got over 2 million points on the Stargate Defender video game in that old Pinball Petes' building! I also lived in U-Towers for one year back in the 1980s. Kind of sad when places that you had fun or good times in are destroyed.

That is too bad about your friend's possessions. I hope she had renter's insurance.

Rizzo Oct 27, 2009 1:10 AM

She did fortunately.

You know I was reading up more on the old pinball petes house and I guess it was on the market for a pretty high price. No wonder it was vacant so long. I always thought it was such a missed opportunity, and things got worse I guess. At this point, no one is sure yet whether they will demolish it or just secure the building back up. That would make it an even worse eyesore on the block.

I read on annarbor.com that nearby owners believe there were people living inside, gaining access from the roof of their buildings.

With the exception of several units in U-Towers, it looks like the new teahouse next door escaped damage.

Rizzo May 4, 2010 4:54 AM

Flickr user Tom has posted some updates of the interior of North Quad (academic spaces) They are the first available photos showing the interior.

Well....definitely lacking in the type of finishes you'd expect to see for the amount of effort in the design of the exterior. Drywall and drop ceilings I see....glad it's not my office. I guess I was expecting to be blown away when you see what they did with the Business School.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4583488...7622842424260/

subterranean May 4, 2010 11:20 AM

Not much in the way of natural light in there, either. It sort of feels like a cave from what I gather from those photos. Then again, when you're trying to emulate a historic style, that's most likely what you'll get.

DetroitMan Jun 23, 2010 3:34 PM

Downtown Ann Arbor apartment project Zaragon Place 2 wins approval at Planning Commission
Posted: Jun 16, 2010 at 6:01 AM [Jun 16, 2010]

Chicago-based developer Richard Perlman left Ann Arbor's city hall Tuesday night without the same frustration other developers have experienced recently.

In only an hour's time, Perlman's 14-story apartment project received unanimous approval from the Ann Arbor Planning Commission during a praise-filled meeting.
http://www.annarbor.com/assets_c/201...x420-43755.jpg
http://www.annarbor.com/news/downtow...ng-commission/

DetroitMan Jun 23, 2010 3:36 PM

601 Forest student high-rise developer aims for fall construction start
The developer of 601 Forest - a planned 14-story student high-rise at the corner of South University and South Forest - is adding parking and shedding some square footage.
The next step, city officials say, appears to be filing for building permits that will start the construction process.
http://www.annarbor.com/assets_c/201...x362-44648.jpg
http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...ruction-start/

DetroitMan Jun 23, 2010 3:39 PM

University of Michigan Board of Regents approves $56 million residence hall renovation
Another University of Michigan residence hall is due for a major facelift.

The U-M Board of Regents approved a $56 million makeover of the Alice C. Lloyd Hall at its monthly meeting Thursday. The project is part of the Residential Life Initiative, a program approved by the board in 2004 to modernize and improve residence halls.
http://www.annarbor.com/news/univers...ll-renovation/

DecoJim Jun 23, 2010 7:19 PM

If you like pizza, the Zaragon Place 2 is ideal, Cottage Inn (pizza) is right next door! As those in the article about it suggested, it is a good location, near other large buildings and a block from all the retail on Liberty street. If I were to move back to Ann Arbor, I would consider living there.

On the other hand, the 601 Forest and the older University Towers are out-of-scale with the rest of the low-rise structures along South University.

Rizzo Jun 24, 2010 7:00 AM

I am though happy 601 scaled back the proposal to the above. The original towers were INCREDIBLY out of scale.

As for Lloyd, this is great news! This means all the hill buildings will have undergone extensive renovations and restorations. Certainly Markley could use a renovation someday, but rumor has it that building may disappear forever. Something tells me few will miss its architecture.

Rizzo Jun 25, 2010 10:46 PM

KRESGE BUILDINGS TO BE DEMOLISHED

A demolition I can announce with great joy. The ugliest buildings on the Medical campus are coming down. I had the unfortunate experience of having my freshman dorm window facing these ugly structures

Here's a webcam image. It should self update in this thread. Since I've made this post, half the complex was demolished
http://141.214.81.222/axis-cgi/jpg/i...=1277505837886
Source. U of M plant extension

Currently the masterplan shows diagonal sidewalks that will connect the hill area more appropriately to the heart of the medical campus. It appears two buildings will be sited on triangular shaped lots in the near future.

Jasoncw Jun 26, 2010 12:15 AM

I always liked going by that building on the bus.

Actually, out of all of the buildings pictured in this thread that's one of my favorites. :rolleyes:

Rizzo Jun 28, 2010 10:30 PM

The one in the back wasn't all that bad. But the two lower buildings on Ann were awful. You could replace the windows on what's left, and put a bunch of grass out front, I'd be happy with just that.

However, we are talking about a very prominent corner here. The new building should be innovative and powerful.

Mid-Michigan Jun 30, 2010 3:59 AM

Interesting to see these construction updates, the last time I visited Ann Arbor ( few weeks ago) it was just awful.

DecoJim Aug 10, 2010 8:13 PM

I drove by the planned site of the Zaragon Place 2 today and it looks like the excavators have been at work for a few days.

Hayward, its too bad you did not also include a static shot of the Kresge Building at the beginning of demolition along with the webcame hotlink - the building is now gone.

Rizzo Aug 11, 2010 12:34 AM

Before
http://www.plantext.bf.umich.edu/pro...es/kresges.jpg
Source: plantext.bf.umich

Rizzo Nov 10, 2010 10:53 PM

Institute for Social Research Addition.

A new addition that will be sited on South Division. The addition matches the existing building seamlessly

No buildings exist on site. Nothing will be demolished
http://www.umaec.umich.edu/projects/...rspective1.jpg
Source: University of Michigan Plant Extension http://www.umaec.umich.edu/projects/...880/index.html

Rizzo Nov 10, 2010 11:28 PM

BTW, I have plenty of update photos to share on my recent trip to A2.

Here's just a mention of what's happened:

Zaragon 2: Excavation only. All former site elements have been cleared

North Quad: Complete and Open

Mott Children's Hospital: Exterior complete, drive up entry still needs paving

Couzens Hall: Exterior restoration complete, new windows, work progressing on interior

Michigan Stadium: Complete and Open

CVS: Old Exterior facade braced, interior replaced with new steel

Tally Hall: White-box renovations completed last year. Two businesses now occupying this space....LAB and @burger

New Law Quad Building: Windows installed, west elevation entirely clad in matching stone and details. Other elevations up to about the second floor so far

City Hall Addition: New building nearing completion

Thompson Street Parking Structure Addition: Complete and partially open

CC Little Transit Center: Complete and Open

Destroyed Pinball Petes: Demolished and cleared. Site has interested buyers

601 Forest: All buildings still standing. Regularly occupied buildings are occupied. Regularly vacant buildings are vacant. In other words, no action as of yet.

Kresge buildings: Park now exists. Still fenced off. Grass has been put down. You know what? It actually looks really nice. I don't know, maybe a park is okay permanently? thoughts?

All and all. Ann Arbor's looking really great these days. It's certainly lost a couple old time favorites like Shaman Drum, but the new stuff is a vast improvement. Some good new mom and pop coffee shops and restaurants, and a couple new non-sports apparel clothing stores. That's a really good sign. I didn't see any vacancies. So, I think the city has successfully cleared the recession without any scars.

Rizzo Nov 11, 2010 6:30 AM

Ann Arbor development has never garnered all that much discussion here, but oh well, here's the photos I've taken.

New Thompson Street Garage
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa01.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa02.jpg

New meets old. One of additions was railings. The old ramp had knee rails, so if someone pushed you, you would easily fall over the edge. Most people just simply stayed away from the edge.
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa03.jpg

Couzens Hall with new windows and masonry repair. I can't remember the last time I've seen the limestone accent bands shine that bright or the brick that deep of a red. No idea what the interior renovations look like
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa04.jpg

South wall facing palmer field
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa12.jpg

New Park where the Kresge complex once was. The campus development plan shows buildings taking this spot in just a few years. Wouldn't be surprised if this park was used for staging and maturing of trees for other parts of campus in the meantime.
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa05.jpg

Mott
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa06.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa07.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa08.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa09.jpg

School of public health...or with all those funky wave columns and accents, the entrance to Seaworld possibly. I've never been fond of this building. It just looks really strange, especially that archway over the road with the way they ran the bricks. And those fiberglas cornices are beginning to bow and bubble on all sides of the building. Check out the flashing peeling away above that entry. It's like it's made of paper.
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa10.jpg

School of Kinesiology, beautiful rehab
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa11.jpg

Mosher-Jordan renovation and new central dining facility. That's been open and the place is gorgeous inside. I now understand why so many universities are demolishing their 1950's-1970's dorms. They are cell blocks, and that's not conducive to a comfortable live-learn type of environment. Today's new dorms feature high end amenities, gourmet food courts, and spa-like washrooms. To keep up with the $4000-6000/month student lofts nearby, the University must build high end, and that's exactly what they are doing.

Behind me was the also recently restored/renovated Stockwell Hall
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa13.jpg

New transit center. Hey, I was hoping for el trains or maybe a subway system when I returned, but you never know in the future.
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa14.jpg

New crosswalks and plazas
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa15.jpg

Zaragon 2 site clearing
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa16.jpg

New Law School building. Note the brand new Ford School of public policy to the right that opened 2 years ago.
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa17.jpg

Masonry matches the old of the neighboring law quad.
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa18.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa23.jpg

Michigan Stadium, east approach
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/...c170e426_b.jpg
Michigan Stadium, east elevation
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa19.jpg

Upper loggia level
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa20.jpg

Main loggia level
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa21.jpg

New Suites
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa22.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1057/...ef371875_b.jpg

New CVS. Facadectomy of an old building. Looks they didn't tear down the house/store thing. Kind of glad. Adds character. But the arched facade building was in bad shape. At least it will look the same (or better) and have modern office and retail space behind it
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa24.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa25.jpg

North Quad.
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa26.jpg

Back in 2004, I sat bored in a room inside a building that once stood on this site. I was right by a window that would have sat just above the present day entrance to this new structure. It was my sister's graduation and the film school was having a mini ceremony of their own. While I listened to speakers go on for about an hour, I began peeling the paint off this rotted out window sill. By the end, I had 1/4 of the sill stripped if flaking paint. I got an ugly stare from my mom, considering I had just damaged an already damaged piece of architecture (that was my immature excuse back then). I guess it didn't matter. The building was destroyed 1 year later. The Frieze building was good in many ways and terrible other times. Its exterior had rich classical elements, but the interior was a warren and for the most part, the building not very well taken care of. The university knew its days were numbered.
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa27.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa28.jpg

I can imagine ivy climbing up that back wall.
http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa29.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa30.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa31.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/aafall2010/aa32.jpg

LMich Nov 11, 2010 8:44 AM

Those suites at the Big House look like something straight out of Star Wars, I'm talking like Star Destroyers or Darth Vader's helmet. Strangely, it seems to fit with the stadium, though. Very intimidating.

the urban politician Nov 14, 2010 4:30 AM

Great update, Hayward!

The University does "old" really well. It doesn't look imitation cheap like you see in faux historic development in so many other places

Kingofthehill Nov 14, 2010 7:28 AM

Tasteful neo-historical architecture!

subterranean Nov 15, 2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 5054280)
Great update, Hayward!

The University does "old" really well. It doesn't look imitation cheap like you see in faux historic development in so many other places

I agree. I'm really impressed with North Quad and the law addition.

Hayward, how would you say this building boom ranks among the others through history in terms of creating new and/or improved facilities? I know North Campus had to be a huge investment at the time, but the stuff the university is building now just seems so much more quality. Maybe I'm wrong, just an observation.

Rizzo Nov 15, 2010 6:46 PM

The decade long boom of new and renovated University buildings is probably the largest concentrated effort in University history. I would say it's about to slow down for a bit with alot of the campus being built out now. There will likely be a refresh of renovated buildings on Central campus sometime between 2015-2020. Buildings seem to get rehabbed every 20-25 years.

The Palmer Complex was a huge undertaking as well as practically rebuilding Michigan Stadium, and renovated all the Hill dorms.

New stuff is still being proposed, but it's just modest additions and rehabs. For certain there will be several projects within coming years of new buildings on the Medical campus. A two-building complex across from Couzens and probably additional development along Wall Street.

If anything, the University's efforts for new construction and replacement will happen on North campus. There's plenty of parking to build on and already preliminary planning for new development along the Hayward corridor.

DetroitMan Dec 29, 2010 1:01 PM

Chicago-area developers revive plans to build new downtown hotel at 202 S. Division in Ann Arbor
Quote:

The last proposal sought to build 120 rooms in a 9-story building. The main entrance was to be on South Division, with off-site parking offered in the Liberty Square Parking Structure.

City planners familiar with the latest incarnation of the project were unavailable this week.

Under new downtown zoning, the half-acre property could accommodate a 180-foot building, according to city zoning documents. How that will affect the hotel proposal is unclear, but insiders say it’s possible that more height could be added to the proposed facility.

First Hospitality’s plans to revive the Ann Arbor Hotel proposal had not reached some local industry experts.
http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...-in-ann-arbor/

Rizzo Dec 29, 2010 6:05 PM

If I can remember correctly, wasn't some of the concern over the drop off area and needing some extra street space? Well....since then Division has been narrowed. My only concern is that they treat the corner condition well on Washington and Division. Though blank walls are a familiar sight on Washington, it doesn't mean the tradition has to continue, and the old rendering shows just that.

I can't imagine much opposition to additional height, the new student lofts across the street is 12 stories, and probably short of the maximum height by 50 feet. At an average of 9'6" floor-to-floor in a hotel + higher ground floor and mechanical penthouse levels. We could see up to an 18 story building

Rizzo Jan 10, 2011 1:07 AM

New Nanomechanical Engineering Lab at the University of Michigan

And the massive building boom at U of M continues on into the next decade. Sorry they are big. Maybe later I'll resize

Site Plan
http://www.engin.umich.edu/newscente...mse0_print.jpg
Source for all images: Integrated Design Solutions / Perkins+Will & http://www.engin.umich.edu/newscente...mechanicaleng/

http://www.engin.umich.edu/newscente...mse4_print.jpg

http://www.engin.umich.edu/newscente...mse2_print.jpg

http://www.engin.umich.edu/newscente...mse1_print.jpg

http://www.engin.umich.edu/newscente...mse3_print.jpg

DetroitMan Jan 11, 2011 6:22 PM

I have to say Im really impressed with the buildings that UM has been putting up lately. The university really does need to build up the north campus and I hope with the plans for a transit link between the central campus and north campus coming along that will happen.

DetroitMan Jan 11, 2011 6:40 PM

Concerns surround Fuller Road transit center as project moves to Ann Arbor City Council for approval
By Ryan J Stanton
January 11, 2011
Ann Arbor.com

http://www.annarbor.com/assets_c/201...x348-55059.jpg
The proposed Fuller Road Station Phase I project, shown here, includes a parking structure with accommodations for bicycles and buses.

Quote:

A proposal to build a new transit center along Fuller Road was met with some resistance Monday night during a special work session of the Ann Arbor City Council.

While some council members, including Mayor John Hieftje, appear to be in full support of the $43 million Phase I project, it's evident some still need convincing — including Mike Anglin, D-5th Ward, and Stephen Kunselman, D-3rd Ward.

"It seems to me that we're moving ahead on something that may not be of service to the community," Anglin said. "I'm not interested in providing parking for the university."

The city's long-term vision for the area south side of Fuller Road — just east of East Medical Center Drive and in front of the University of Michigan medical campus — includes an intermodal transit facility with accommodations for trains, bicycles, buses and pedestrians.

But a new train station isn't expected to happen until future phases. The first phase of Fuller Road Station, which the council is being asked to approve now, includes a five-level, 977-space parking structure with five built-in bus bays and 103 bicycle parking spaces.
http://www.annarbor.com/news/concern...-for-approval/

DetroitMan Jan 11, 2011 6:43 PM

Ann Arbor officials looking to adopt 'the best design guidelines in the country' for downtown
By Ryan J Stanton
January 11, 2011
Ann Arbor.com
Quote:

Perhaps the biggest change, however, is the addition of a proposal for a Design Review Board made up of design professionals that would look over projects.

"The success of the design guidelines rests with a well-functioning Design Review Board whose members have design expertise," Tyler said. "The Design Review Board should be people who understand good design and whose advice will be respected."
http://www.annarbor.com/news/new-des...-for-approval/

DetroitMan Jan 11, 2011 6:46 PM

Georgetown Mall owner seeks to demolish shopping center, build $30M retail/apartment complex
By Paula Gardner
January 10, 2011
AnnArbor.com
Quote:

Schubiner showed renderings that displayed a U-shaped building about 20 feet from Packard Road, with about 20,000 square feet of retail space on the lower level and 230 apartments in the floors above. The total square footage is about 300,000.

If plans are approved this spring, Schubiner said he'd like to demolish the former shopping center and the offices behind it by the end of the summer.

The entire project is four stories, though renderings show the appearance of three from the Packard side due to the higher ceiling height of the retail space.

Schubiner also said he has a "financing invitation" for the project from Texas-based Greystone Co.

He and his development team — including attorney Bruce Measom and Anne Jamieson of AKT Peerless Environmental and Energy Services — fielded several questions from the audience in a meeting room at the Mallet's Creek branch of the Ann Arbor District Library as residents asked about building size, parking, timetables and viability.
http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...tment-complex/