SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Vicelord John Aug 11, 2012 3:26 AM

They're knockin' shit down at YMCA and the new circle k is fenced off.

This post will probably get mysteriously deleted like my last 3-4. Some moderator needs to put his big boy pants on and tell me wtf he is doing.

phxSUNSfan Aug 11, 2012 4:49 PM

Phoenix (and Scottsdale) continue to add land (or attempt to add land) for preserve and open space in the north. This effectively cuts off developers who want to build tract homes; a good thing in my opinion.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...ust-lands.html

dtnphx Aug 12, 2012 2:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5795131)
They're knockin' shit down at YMCA and the new circle k is fenced off.

This post will probably get mysteriously deleted like my last 3-4. Some moderator needs to put his big boy pants on and tell me wtf he is doing.

It's Combusean--he's been doing it a lot lately. Huge chip on his shoulder and a Napolean complex to boot.

Vicelord John Aug 12, 2012 3:20 AM

I've moderated sites in the past and it was always a rule if we deleted someones post we had to inform them, but it was preferred tha we just edited it.

glynnjamin Aug 14, 2012 5:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floc34 (Post 5789919)
PHOENIX (Feb. 02, 2012) - Phoenix-based Grand Canyon University (GCU) achieved an outstanding 95.79 percent pass rate for its nursing program from the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses in 2011.

Yep what a joke .......... not! Hopefully their plan will work, because the construction on campus is looking good.

So because they can get people to sit in front of a computer screen for two years better than ASU can get students to turn up to class, seminars, internships, and lectures for two years you think they are a successful university?

The GCU building is basically used as a shell to con those who are put off by the idea of an online university. Some burnout sees a commercial about becoming an EMT in two years on tv, looks around at traditional schools but realizes he can't spend his days in class because he has to work. He looks at University of Phoenix but doesn't like the idea of an online school. He looks at GCU, sees that they have a stadium, dorms, a student union and all of the other "real college" perks so he calls them, even though he lives in Minnesota and will never actually visit the GCU campus. The "recruiters" tell him that he has tons of potential and that he can be anything he wants to be, he just needs to pay them $30k a semester but not to worry, they've already filled out the forms and pre-applied for federal loans for him. They tell him he shouldn't worry about the money because he won't need to pay it back while he's going to school and once he graduates he'll have so many job offers and so much money, the debt will be no big deal. Skip ahead two years and he graduates with $60k in debt, a degree that is mailed to him. He never spoke directly to a professor, never sat in a room full of students, and never actually went on any EMT ride-alongs but here's his degree. He goes to apply for a job and finds that no one will hire him because he has no ridealong experience. Good luck paying down that debt there buddy. Now he joins the millions of Americans who are begging for the government to forgive their student loan debt they will never be able to pay off. Thanks GCU!

Check this documentary out when you get a chance. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...llegeinc/view/

azliam Aug 14, 2012 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynnjamin (Post 5798242)
So because they can get people to sit in front of a computer screen for two years better than ASU can get students to turn up to class, seminars, internships, and lectures for two years you think they are a successful university?

The GCU building is basically used as a shell to con those who are put off by the idea of an online university. Some burnout sees a commercial about becoming an EMT in two years on tv, looks around at traditional schools but realizes he can't spend his days in class because he has to work. He looks at University of Phoenix but doesn't like the idea of an online school. He looks at GCU, sees that they have a stadium, dorms, a student union and all of the other "real college" perks so he calls them, even though he lives in Minnesota and will never actually visit the GCU campus. The "recruiters" tell him that he has tons of potential and that he can be anything he wants to be, he just needs to pay them $30k a semester but not to worry, they've already filled out the forms and pre-applied for federal loans for him. They tell him he shouldn't worry about the money because he won't need to pay it back while he's going to school and once he graduates he'll have so many job offers and so much money, the debt will be no big deal. Skip ahead two years and he graduates with $60k in debt, a degree that is mailed to him. He never spoke directly to a professor, never sat in a room full of students, and never actually went on any EMT ride-alongs but here's his degree. He goes to apply for a job and finds that no one will hire him because he has no ridealong experience. Good luck paying down that debt there buddy. Now he joins the millions of Americans who are begging for the government to forgive their student loan debt they will never be able to pay off. Thanks GCU!

Check this documentary out when you get a chance. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...llegeinc/view/

What the hell do you really know about GCU anyways (students, tuition rates, how students ACTUALLY apply for financial aid, student/professor contact, etc.), or better yet, what the "recruiters" (as you call them) speak to prospective students about? And what are you even talking about by saying "recruiters already filled out the forms and pre-applied for federal loans for him"??? I strongly suggest you shut the f**K up about it instead of spewing your own faulty assumptions. Furthermore, you are speaking about people you do NOT know and calling prospective students "burnouts".

floc34 Aug 14, 2012 6:04 PM

Quote:

Do you even have a clue what you're talking about? This school awards many scholarships to their students both for the online program and at their ground campus.These nursing students are not taking classes online, and their program holds the same accreditation as ASU, UA and NAU etc.

KEVINphx Aug 14, 2012 9:39 PM

Quote:

I'd not waste my time and instead let others purchase their "educations".

Their accreditation is precisely what helped make the school appealing for purchase in the first place; otherwise, how else are you going to go to get on that federal student loan gravy train?

Why don't we instead get to the bottom of the funding issue by seeing what percentage of GCU students are attending that folly on the federal dime. . . I'm certain the figures are available although I'm too busy now to find them! I know at other comparable private universities such as UofP that such percentages approach 90.

Some people on here are just TOO big of assholes or have serious personality complexes - if you are going to go around telling others to shut the fuck up. . . . . perhaps you should take a bit of your own advice!

combusean Aug 14, 2012 9:44 PM

This argument seriously needs to be toned down. Personal attacks, "shut the fucks up", "assholes" are totally not kosher for this board.

pbenjamin Aug 14, 2012 11:53 PM

For what it's worth, we went to a (poorly organized) concert in their new basketball arena a few weeks back and saw that new dorms were under construction. The new dorms, which are opening for the fall term, bring capacity to nearly 2400 (more than doubling it). They are not just an online shell game. I have no personal experience with the place and typically have issues with religious-based institutions, but my wife gets involved in the hiring of teachers from time to time and tells me that GCU has a reasonable reputation in that area.

azliam Aug 15, 2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEVINphx (Post 5798527)
I'd not waste my time and instead let others purchase their "educations".

Their accreditation is precisely what helped make the school appealing for purchase in the first place; otherwise, how else are you going to go to get on that federal student loan gravy train?

Why don't we instead get to the bottom of the funding issue by seeing what percentage of GCU students are attending that folly on the federal dime. . . I'm certain the figures are available although I'm too busy now to find them! I know at other comparable private universities such as UofP that such percentages approach 90.

Some people on here are just TOO big of assholes or have serious personality complexes - if you are going to go around telling others to shut the fuck up. . . . . perhaps you should take a bit of your own advice!

I'll give you the same advice...if you're going to talk crap, at least get your facts straight. If you're not too busy posting here, perhaps you can look up that information. In addition (if you haven't noticed), any student taking out financial aid is purchasing his/her own education.

Vicelord John Aug 15, 2012 12:20 AM

Who's the moron who thinks GCU is a "fake" college like UofP? I don't have the patience to read through all of your bullshit.

glynnjamin Aug 15, 2012 4:11 PM

Sounds like a bunch of people who work for GCU trying to justify their jobs. Since you guys didn't want to watch the video that makes it easy to understand, I'll try and make it simple. First off, I worked at the Arizona Department of Education. I have a damn good idea of how they operate at GCU. Also, I have friends who used to work at UofPhx who now work for GCU. Even they admit they do the exact same thing. In fact, the description I gave was exactly how one of my friends told me she operates. When she gets a lead that she has already spoken with a couple times who is on the fence, she goes to the trouble of filling out federal loan applications for them. She says it is just like a car dealership; if you make them think they have the money, they stop worrying about the cost.

Some numbers to back up:
School Default Rates FY 2009, 2008, and 2007
Arizona State University - 3.9%, 3%, 3.4%
University of Arizona - 4.1%, 4%, 3.7%
Grand Canyon University - 9.2%, 3.4%, 1.4%
University of Phoenix - 18.8%, 12.9%, 9.3%
link

Note - Grand Canyon University became a publicly traded company in 2008.

They are predatory lenders who give out pieces of paper in return for taxpayer dollars.

On, and 87% of their money comes from the Fed.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...Yga4Uv7w&pli=1

glynnjamin Aug 15, 2012 4:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floc34 (Post 5798273)
Do you even have a clue what you're talking about? This school awards many scholarships to their students both for the online program and at their ground campus.These nursing students are not taking classes online, and their program holds the same accreditation as ASU, UA and NAU etc.

That's funny, the GCU website says the exact opposite...that I can earn a nursing degree from the comfort of my own home.
http://www.gcu.edu/College-of-Nursin...e-Learning.php

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--...E/s512/gcu.JPG

azliam Aug 15, 2012 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynnjamin (Post 5799343)
Sounds like a bunch of people who work for GCU trying to justify their jobs. Since you guys didn't want to watch the video that makes it easy to understand, I'll try and make it simple. First off, I worked at the Arizona Department of Education. I have a damn good idea of how they operate at GCU. Also, I have friends who used to work at UofPhx who now work for GCU. Even they admit they do the exact same thing. In fact, the description I gave was exactly how one of my friends told me she operates. When she gets a lead that she has already spoken with a couple times who is on the fence, she goes to the trouble of filling out federal loan applications for them. She says it is just like a car dealership; if you make them think they have the money, they stop worrying about the cost.

Some numbers to back up:
School Default Rates FY 2009, 2008, and 2007
Arizona State University - 3.9%, 3%, 3.4%
University of Arizona - 4.1%, 4%, 3.7%
Grand Canyon University - 9.2%, 3.4%, 1.4%
University of Phoenix - 18.8%, 12.9%, 9.3%
link

Note - Grand Canyon University became a publicly traded company in 2008.

They are predatory lenders who give out pieces of paper in return for taxpayer dollars.

On, and 87% of their money comes from the Fed.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...Yga4Uv7w&pli=1

Really???

Students applying for Financial Aid do it through the fafsa and studentloans.gov website and no one can fill out that information or do a student's entrance counseling except for the student. It sounds like you do not know what you are talking about. BTW, what percentage of ASU, UA, NAU students use federal aid? Do you have current numbers for school default rates that aren't at least three years old?

Let me just add that I do not understand the reasoning behind you criticizing other people's jobs. Would you appreciate someone doing that to you?

Stop being a hater.

azliam Aug 15, 2012 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynnjamin (Post 5799358)
That's funny, the GCU website says the exact opposite...that I can earn a nursing degree from the comfort of my own home.
http://www.gcu.edu/College-of-Nursin...e-Learning.php

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--...E/s512/gcu.JPG

Certainly you understand the difference between a student entering a BSN program vs. one completing their BSN when they already have an RN license, right?

HX_Guy Aug 15, 2012 5:23 PM

How is this all relevant to "Phoenix Development News"? I keep clicking on this thread thinking I'm going to read something about new construction. :(

azliam Aug 15, 2012 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 5799426)
How is this all relevant to "Phoenix Development News"? I keep clicking on this thread thinking I'm going to read something about new construction. :(

Sorry to get off topic.

gymratmanaz Aug 15, 2012 5:27 PM

Ditto, HX. Use private messages for other stuff?

Vicelord John Aug 15, 2012 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 5799426)

agreed. As slow as this forum has been recently, it's quite annoying to read this crap they are arguing about.

The tire shop on roosevelt and 7th street is fenced off, coming down soon.

Miriam's Designer Clothes on 7th and osborn has a pending luquor license sign on it - I did a little research and it's a place called Gadzook's Enchiladas and Soups. They have another location in town, sounds fucking strange.

The Asian church on that same corner is fenced off, perhaps it's coming down?

Nordstrom Rack and the adjacent stores at Town and Country look about finished. Potbelly's is open.