SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

emathias Jan 21, 2020 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8806665)
One possibility is that the total rail ridership is unlinked trips, but the line totals are entrances at each station. So the 225 might somehow include people who enter on one line and have an in-system transfer to another?

Oh, yeah, now that you say that, I think I've read about linked vs. unlinked in CTA stats before, but I'd forgotten about it.

Thanks.

spyguy Jan 26, 2020 7:49 PM

Did anyone post the canopy renderings for the "Your New Blue" renovations at Grand, Chicago, and Division stations?
https://i.postimg.cc/26rGL7yP/Blue-L...-Rendering.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/mrx8BssZ/Blue-L...-Rendering.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/9fG1fnmd/Blue-L...-Rendering.jpg

Jim in Chicago Jan 27, 2020 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 8812061)
Did anyone post the canopy renderings for the "Your New Blue" renovations at Grand, Chicago, and Division stations?
https://i.postimg.cc/26rGL7yP/Blue-L...-Rendering.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/mrx8BssZ/Blue-L...-Rendering.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/9fG1fnmd/Blue-L...-Rendering.jpg

They're very similar to those installed at the Red Line - at least as State/Harrison. Let's just be kind and say "they aren't aging well."

Busy Bee Jan 27, 2020 6:25 PM

Those look nice I just wish in locations where they have the space like the Polish Triangle @ Division, the island @ Chicago and the NW stair @ Grand they could have rebuilt the stair entirely and made them wider and generous and the canopy more substantial architecturally. Yes I realize this would cost more money.

KOgc Jan 27, 2020 6:38 PM

The structural steel component at the Grand Location is partially up already as of this last weekend. Don't think I saw the same at Chicago avenue quite yet, but they are working on two entrances there now.

bgsrand Jan 27, 2020 7:12 PM

Could have paid homage to one of the many schools or architecture Chicago is home to, and instead we got whatever this is...

Also, the last rendering appears to be the division stop but they recently reopened the stops with no modifications to the entrance.

Tom In Chicago Jan 27, 2020 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago (Post 8812644)
They're very similar to those installed at the Red Line - at least as State/Harrison. Let's just be kind and say "they aren't aging well."

My first thought was ~ oh yeah. . . one winter with salt and slush will make quick work of these shiny new facilities. . .

. . .

Busy Bee Jan 27, 2020 7:34 PM

Cheap in. Cheap out.

ardecila Jan 27, 2020 9:36 PM

They look fine to me... seems like they accomplish the goal of providing cover over the stairwells without blocking sightlines to the buildings beyond.

I can't speak to the condition of the one at State/Harrison, but I'm surprised at how well the bus shelters on Loop Link are doing. No design will stay immaculate on the tough conditions of Chicago's streets but these seem to be holding up.

Also, these new Blue Line shelters are definitely not a perfect fit, but a lot less of a stylistic contrast with the moderne design of the station platforms and mezzanines than the faux-Victorian shelters CTA used on the Red Line and on the Blue Line at Jackson/LaSalle. Maybe CTA finally figured out they already have stylish 1940s designs on the subway system that just need to be brought into the 21st century.

Chi-Sky21 Jan 28, 2020 2:35 PM

i have seen it many times with VTA structures, rust and falling apart after only a few years. For the amount of money they spend on these projects this should not be happening. I understand you are going to over pay due to corruption on these projects but i still expect them to hold up better.

k1052 Jan 28, 2020 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8812955)
They look fine to me... seems like they accomplish the goal of providing cover over the stairwells without blocking sightlines to the buildings beyond.

I can't speak to the condition of the one at State/Harrison, but I'm surprised at how well the bus shelters on Loop Link are doing. No design will stay immaculate on the tough conditions of Chicago's streets but these seem to be holding up.

Also, these new Blue Line shelters are definitely not a perfect fit, but a lot less of a stylistic contrast with the moderne design of the station platforms and mezzanines than the faux-Victorian shelters CTA used on the Red Line and on the Blue Line at Jackson/LaSalle. Maybe CTA finally figured out they already have stylish 1940s designs on the subway system that just need to be brought into the 21st century.

From a style standpoint I have to agree this is an improvement over recent CTA work, also functionally much better than the open stairwells that presently exist. Time will tell how the glass holds up but even if it has to be replaced every 10 or 15 years there isn't an enormous amount of it.

bgsrand Jan 29, 2020 10:38 PM

Not sure where to post this, but does anyone know what is being built on the south side of I-290 just east of 1st Ave?

ardecila Jan 29, 2020 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgsrand (Post 8815220)
Not sure where to post this, but does anyone know what is being built on the south side of I-290 just east of 1st Ave?

IDOT is rebuilding the pump station that keeps the Eisenhower expressway trench dry through Maywood and Bellwood... The current pump station dates to the 1950s and it sits too close to the expressway lanes, so it needs to be relocated before the Ike can be widened.

Might seem like a small project but it's actually pretty nuts, they're building a huge circular secant pile wall so they can dig down almost 70' without the Des Plaines River coming in. Picture the giant round shaft at the Spire site.

Unfortunately this massive work of civil engineering will be topped with a pump station building that belongs in Bolingbrook, precast panels with fake red brick. Truly awful compared to the subtle, Jetsons-ish pump station that exists now.

https://webapps.dot.illinois.gov/WCT...1-1c7a1c384c22

https://i.imgur.com/ac1QcXK.png

https://i.imgur.com/aLXHADA.png

bgsrand Jan 30, 2020 1:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8815244)
IDOT is rebuilding the pump station that keeps the Eisenhower expressway trench dry through Maywood and Bellwood... The current pump station dates to the 1950s and it sits too close to the expressway lanes, so it needs to be relocated before the Ike can be widened.

Might seem like a small project but it's actually pretty nuts, they're building a huge circular secant pile wall so they can dig down almost 70' without the Des Plaines River coming in. Picture the giant round shaft at the Spire site.

Unfortunately this massive work of civil engineering will be topped with a pump station building that belongs in Bolingbrook, precast panels with fake red brick. Truly awful compared to the subtle, Jetsons-ish pump station that exists now.

https://webapps.dot.illinois.gov/WCT...1-1c7a1c384c22

https://i.imgur.com/ac1QcXK.png

https://i.imgur.com/aLXHADA.png

Knew someone would have the answer....defineitly a big job as there have been 3 or 4 caisson rigs onsite. What is the Ike Trench?

Chi-Sky21 Jan 30, 2020 2:47 PM

Great info as always, ardecila your new pic threw me off! Oh i can hardly wait for the Ike to be widened. Always boggled my mind that they had it narrow to 3 lanes. Even though when the project is going on the traffic will be HELL it will be worth it.

bgsrand Jan 30, 2020 4:11 PM

Is it confirmed being widened?

ardecila Jan 30, 2020 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgsrand (Post 8815760)
Knew someone would have the answer....defineitly a big job as there have been 3 or 4 caisson rigs onsite. What is the Ike Trench?

The expressway is depressed along almost its entire length below normal ground level. If it wasn't pumped out constantly, it would turn into a lake (or river).

This pump station drains the western section of the expressway through Maywood, Bellwood, Broadview, and Westchester.

There's a firm plan to do the widening, just no money yet. In the meantime, IDOT is doing a few "advance projects" like this out of their usual budget. Of course, if a few more years go by with no money, they'll have to start the study process all over again since Chicagoland and its travel needs continue to evolve.

w.miles2000 Feb 4, 2020 9:17 PM

What the status of the cta new 7000 series

Busy Bee Feb 5, 2020 12:26 AM

https://www.liebherr.com/shared/medi...ca_img_710.jpg
_

w.miles2000 Feb 5, 2020 9:20 PM

What the updates on the cta green line Damen/Lake station do anyone know when are CDOT going to start construction

SIGSEGV Feb 17, 2020 12:21 AM

Anybody know what this barge is doing by the Amtrak yard? Is it just working on the the channel retainer walls?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Cv...=w1027-h770-no

Mr Downtown Feb 17, 2020 4:27 AM

Yes, Amtrak got approval this fall to rebuild the sheet piling along the riverbank. The South Loop neighborhood organizations and Friends of the Chicago River asked the state to require Amtrak to follow the river design guidelines, but that went unheeded and they're just putting new sheet piling 18 inches out from the existing sheet piling.

ardecila Feb 17, 2020 7:17 PM

Does that kind of seawall work normally trigger the River Design Guidelines (pedestrian path, railing, 30' landscape setback, etc)? Usually it takes a change of use to trigger those requirements.

That would be a serious burden on Amtrak to give up a 30' strip, given that they're not redeveloping the whole railyard. Every pieces of that yard is used pretty intensively; the land along the river is the main access road.

w.miles2000 Feb 17, 2020 10:03 PM

What the updates on the cta green line Damen/Lake station do anyone know when are CDOT going to start construction

jtown,man Feb 19, 2020 1:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 2025442)
from today's tribune:

Activists fear Circle Line to push past transit plans

By Virginia Groark
Tribune staff reporter
Published April 27, 2006

The Chicago Transit Authority's proposed Circle Line, an ambitious megaproject that would connect all CTA and Metra rail lines, is inching forward, but some community activists worry that its $1 billion price tag may sideline other long-proposed projects.

CTA President Frank Kruesi has called the Circle Line, which would cover six times the area of the Loop "L" system, the "single most important" transit project in the region. But watchdog groups are concerned that the plan, which was first made public four years ago, could take precedence over projects, such as the extension of the Red Line to 130th Street, in transit-poor communities.

The Chicago Area Transportation Study has recommended the Red Line project since the early 1970s, according to Kermit Wies, deputy for planning at the organization.

"It's a dismally underserved area that needs a transportation shot in the arm, and it keeps getting bypassed by other projects," said Michael Evans, associate director of Developing Communities Project, a community organizing group on the Far South Side.

CTA spokeswoman Noelle Gaffney said that's not the case. The CTA is in the process of hiring consultants to do studies on the Red Line extension and two other projects.

"We're moving ahead on all of them," she said. "They're all important."

Congress authorized the projects in a massive transportation bill that was passed last year. But those CTA proposals, along with three others, still must secure federal funds, a lengthy and fiercely competitive process.

CTA officials say they have not prioritized the five projects. But transit watchdogs point to the progress on the Circle Line alternatives analysis study as an indicator that it's at the top of the list.

The agency will hold three public hearings on the Circle Line next week, a required step in the alternative analysis study that began in 2004. Similar studies have not yet begun on the Red Line extension and two other projects: the extension of the Orange Line to Ford City shopping center and the Yellow Line to Old Orchard shopping center.

"Essentially what's happened is this great brainstorm child of the CTA has leapfrogged ahead of existing unfunded and unaddressed capital priorities to become the new megaproject goal," said Jacqueline Leavy, executive director of the Neighborhood Capital Budget Group, a civic watchdog organization.

But Gaffney said the CTA started the studies on the Circle Line and one other proposal before the others because they are more complicated projects.

"Not everything operates on a parallel track," she said.

If built, the Circle Line would cover a region bordered by Pershing Road on the south, Fullerton Parkway on the north, Western Avenue on the west and Lake Michigan on the east.

A preliminary plan outlined a three-phase project, the first of which was accomplished with the recent rehabilitation of the Paulina Connector, a 3/4-mile stretch of elevated track that runs parallel to, and just west of, Ashland Avenue. Though the connector had been used recently to reposition equipment, it will be used for passenger service in June when the Pink Line goes into service.

In the second phase, a 1.5-mile link of new elevated track would be built to connect the 54/Cermak branch of the Blue Line near Cermak and Ashland with the Orange Line's Ashland/Archer station.

The third phase would be a 3.35-mile link of new track that connects the Paulina Connector with the O'Hare Blue Line at Division and the Red Line at North/Clybourn. The existing elevated stretch of the Brown Line between the Sedgwick and Armitage stations would be rerouted to a new "super station" at North/Clybourn that also would serve the Red and Circle Lines.

CTA officials believe the plan would shorten travel times and improve connections. Riders could transfer to other lines and Metra routes without having to travel all the way into the Loop.

Evans believes the Circle Line will be built because it has political backing. But his group wants to make sure the Red Line project isn't ignored.

So the organization has been holding community meetings and this week traveled to Springfield to meet with legislators.

"The Circle Line's going to get done no matter how people feel about it," he said. "Let's face it. It's a showpiece. Sure it's going to make a difference. It's saying we are the best to the other cities.

"But servicing your people, the ones that are most displaced, that's saying we care about what's happening," he added. "That's the stance they should be taking right now."

This post is like from 2006.

"CTA President Frank Kruesi has called the Circle Line, which would cover six times the area of the Loop "L" system, the "single most important" transit project in the region. But watchdog groups are concerned that the plan, which was first made public four years ago, could take precedence over projects, such as the extension of the Red Line to 130th Street, in transit-poor communities."

Thank God yall didn't build the circle line so we could get the Red Line extension! Wait...14 years later and it's still not happening just yet. 14 years.

sammyg Feb 19, 2020 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8835525)
This post is like from 2006.
Thank God yall didn't build the circle line so we could get the Red Line extension! Wait...14 years later and it's still not happening just yet. 14 years.

The Red Line extension only seems to come up every 4 years as something mayors and aldermen can talk about in their re-election campaigns.

ardecila Feb 19, 2020 3:24 PM

Well, yeah. People in that community still cling to the "promise" made by Mayor Daley (Senior) and CTA back in the 1960s - which was to branch the Red Line down 94 and 57, by the way, not to build an el through the middle of the community. Politicians can dangle that out there to earn votes from this corner of the city. The problem is that Roseland and West Pullman have absolutely tanked in population since then. They have dropped 34-36% in Black population since 1980. Riverdale has lost 47% of its Black population. (I can only find the Black population trends, but each of these community areas is more than 90% Black so it's a fair stand-in for overall numbers).

This is not a trivial fact - the Federal process for funding rail expansions is highly competitive (although not immune from political influence). A declining population makes it unlikely that FTA will give a grant when New York, LA, SF, etc are all clamoring for money to build transit into fast-growing areas. It also makes tools like the transit TIF a lot less effective, since even the promise of new rail service is unlikely to boost property values in such troubled neighborhoods.

If we had a budget for rail expansion like Paris or Madrid, absolutely we should extend the Red Line... but given that CTA only does an expansion once every two generations, is this really the ONE project we want to sink our resources into? Nobody seems interested in LA-style proposals to raise taxes and really expand the system comprehensively, so I think we do need to look at the Red Line Extension as a zero-sum and accept the fact that funding the RLE means any other large project won't get funding.

I like Rahm's approach of rebuilding 95th - substituting a flashy, medium-scale project for a huge project seemed like a way to let the Far South Side down easy. But he kept insisting the project wasn't intended to take the place of the Red Line Extension. Now CTA is proposing a Halsted BRT, which could serve the west side of Roseland, West Pullman, etc while Metra Electric serves the east side of those communities. But still, they keep sinking money into the Red Line project.

Handro Feb 20, 2020 9:07 PM

Posting in another thread about buses reminded me of something I've wondered about.

Has the city ever explored creating new public parking lots or even building public parking garages in popular areas in order to move cars from street parking to centralized parking areas? In my understanding of the godforsaken parking meter deal, that could potentially open up arterial bus routes for BRT lanes, right?

Mr Downtown Feb 21, 2020 3:55 AM

Yes, convinced that shoppers were going to Evergreen Plaza and Old Orchard because of the ample parking, the city did exactly that in the late 1950s. The "birdcage garage" at State & Wacker, one at Wacker & Madison, one at State & Congress. In outlying "shopping centers" (the midcentury meaning of the term), they had the School St. lot near Belmont/Ashland/Lincoln and one near Lincoln & Lawrence. I'm just sure there were similar lots at Lawrence & Broadway and Six Corners, and think I remember signs near 63rd & Halsted, Madison & Pulaski, and in South Chicago and Roseland.

In the 1980s, the city decided it shouldn't be competing with private garage operators and sold off the downtown garages for redevelopment. The outlying ones lasted longer, into the 1990s at least. That little strip center at Lawrence & Oakley has a row of parking meters that are some kind of a legacy, I think. I don't know just how they came about, or who collects the coins.

As for undercutting the parking meter deal, there was a dispute about a decade ago about the city having agreed to block any new garages within the Loop as part of the inducement to sell off the Grant Park garage leases. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the parking meter deal forbids any city-owned facilities from being built in competition.

ardecila Feb 21, 2020 4:16 PM

There's a parking garage at Belmont Central, although that is managed by the SSA and not by the city directly, and the parking is unmetered.

There's also a series of public parking lots up and down Cicero Ave that were created when the curbside parking was eliminated to widen the road to four lanes. Most of them are decrepit now.

Handro Feb 21, 2020 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8837701)
Yes, convinced that shoppers were going to Evergreen Plaza and Old Orchard because of the ample parking, the city did exactly that in the late 1950s. The "birdcage garage" at State & Wacker, one at Wacker & Madison, one at State & Congress. In outlying "shopping centers" (the midcentury meaning of the term), they had the School St. lot near Belmont/Ashland/Lincoln and one near Lincoln & Lawrence. I'm just sure there were similar lots at Lawrence & Broadway and Six Corners, and think I remember signs near 63rd & Halsted, Madison & Pulaski, and in South Chicago and Roseland.

In the 1980s, the city decided it shouldn't be competing with private garage operators and sold off the downtown garages for redevelopment. The outlying ones lasted longer, into the 1990s at least. That little strip center at Lawrence & Oakley has a row of parking meters that are some kind of a legacy, I think. I don't know just how they came about, or who collects the coins.

As for undercutting the parking meter deal, there was a dispute about a decade ago about the city having agreed to block any new garages within the Loop as part of the inducement to sell off the Grant Park garage leases. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the parking meter deal forbids any city-owned facilities from being built in competition.

Not undercutting, working within the deal to release valuable lanes for better public transit. The deal says something about not being able to remove street meter spaces without replacing those spaces in an area with reasonable demand. If we could free up lanes along Halsted, for example, imagine having bus only lanes from North Ave - Harrison. That would increase bus reliability/speed by an insane amount.

BorisMolotov Feb 22, 2020 12:45 AM

There's actually one parking garage left in downtown, although it's run by Park1 on St. Clair St. Here's a forgotten Chicago link about them: https://forgottenchicago.com/feature...rking-garages/. It definitely gives off '60s vibes.

jtown,man Feb 22, 2020 2:18 PM

This is probably news to NO ONE but I am new the city and want to at least pretend I have news to break lol

I went on a tour of Union Station last night and the tour guide(the chief architect) mentioned that they were putting doors on the west side(which were never there originally) because of the boom in the west loop area. There's been a lot of talk about the practicality of that area becoming more of an office location, the western door will save people a minute or two, so I guess its something.

jtown,man Feb 22, 2020 2:19 PM

Imagine if we got rid of all parking on major streets and made them bus only. :D

Mr Downtown Feb 22, 2020 5:32 PM

Union Station has always had entrances on the west side: the two on Clinton next to the north and south taxi drive portals. The renovation will turn the old Fred Harvey dining room space in the middle into retail space that will have an additional, and maybe grander-looking entrance from Clinton.

jtown,man Feb 22, 2020 5:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8839107)
Union Station has always had entrances on the west side: the two on Clinton next to the north and south taxi drive portals. The renovation will turn the old Fred Harvey dining room space in the middle into retail space that will have an additional, and maybe grander-looking entrance from Clinton.

Well, the dude made it sound like there weren't western-facing doors to the grand hall and that they decided to add them in because of the boom going on to the west.

ardecila Feb 22, 2020 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8838472)
Not undercutting, working within the deal to release valuable lanes for better public transit. The deal says something about not being able to remove street meter spaces without replacing those spaces in an area with reasonable demand. If we could free up lanes along Halsted, for example, imagine having bus only lanes from North Ave - Harrison. That would increase bus reliability/speed by an insane amount.

I doubt the city would build a garage (at astronomical cost). Usually it’s easier (and basically free) to just move the meters to the side streets, and the parking ends up being distributed along the corridor instead of concentrated in one spot.

The problem has never really been the parking meter deal; it’s an inconvenience for sure, but the real problem are business owners who don’t want to see any parking removed (whether metered or not) and neighborhood residents who don’t want shoppers, restaurant customers, etc parking on their block.

emathias Feb 23, 2020 8:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 8835555)
The Red Line extension only seems to come up every 4 years as something mayors and aldermen can talk about in their re-election campaigns.

The fact that the CTA needs a bigger yard for the Red Line in order to increase trains on the North Side seems like the reason it has legs, and yet it's never publicized as such is mystifying. Just build it already so we can use the yard to bolster trains

Mr Downtown Feb 23, 2020 11:22 PM

^Or build a turnback someplace near Chinatown and quit wasting all those platform hours running trains back and forth through areas of the city with suburban densities.

emathias Feb 24, 2020 6:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8840060)
^Or build a turnback someplace near Chinatown and quit wasting all those platform hours running trains back and forth through areas of the city with suburban densities.

They still need space to hold more trains.

ardecila Feb 24, 2020 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 8840443)
They still need space to hold more trains.

No, if you turned back certain trains at Chinatown you could run trains more frequently on the North Side without an overall increase in the number of trains.

However, if the Red Line ever upgrades to 10-car trains then CTA would need to lengthen yard tracks at Howard. The 95th Yard already has longer holding tracks.

k1052 Feb 24, 2020 9:59 PM

Seems like you could probably squeeze a low speed loop under the tracks through that parking lot on the north side of Archer without a lot of trouble. Sure speed would limit throughput but you're not going to turn the entire line there.

Mr Downtown Feb 24, 2020 10:43 PM

You don't want a loop, just a crossover or tail track. To even wheel wear, CTA likes having a loop at one end of the line (Howard, in this case) and a crossover or tail track at the other.

If CTA used drop-back operator scheduling, you really wouldn't need anything but an automated crossover north of Chinatown Station. But there's a lot more latitude for recovering from timekeeping problems if you have a third track to use, as at UIC/Racine.

OhioGuy Feb 24, 2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8840938)
No, if you turned back certain trains at Chinatown you could run trains more frequently on the North Side without an overall increase in the number of trains.

However, if the Red Line ever upgrades to 10-car trains then CTA would need to lengthen yard tracks at Howard. The 95th Yard already has longer holding tracks.

I'm assume the upcoming station rebuilds for Lawrence, Argyle, Berwyn, and Bryn Mawr will not include platform lengthening to accommodate the potential for running 10 car trains in the future?

k1052 Feb 24, 2020 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8841163)
You don't want a loop, just a crossover or tail track. To even wheel wear, CTA likes having a loop at one end of the line (Howard, in this case) and a crossover or tail track at the other.

If CTA used drop-back operator scheduling, you really wouldn't need anything but an automated crossover north of Chinatown Station. But there's a lot more latitude for recovering from timekeeping problems if you have a third track to use, as at UIC/Racine.

I don't think there is much room in the row south of the portal to add a center track like CTA has elsewhere to facilitate a turn backs unless they feel like doing some likely expensive bridge work.

Alternatively the 13th Street incline could be used.

emathias Feb 24, 2020 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8840938)

It's already running maximum number of cars between Howard and South. The CTA is already running some rush hour Red Line trains on the Green Line tracks south of Roosevelt. If they go to 10-car trains, which they will need to do if the RPM project and increased development along the Red Line north continue the ridership growth at even close to the projections.

Their current maximum trains per hour on the Red Line is 30, but I don't think they actually run a full 30 trains per hour, I think 24 is their maximum, but they have multiple hours with 10-15 trains. If they have 4 hours of trains every 5 minutes, on average. A trip from Howard to 9th takes almost exactly an hour, so in a 4-hour period any given rail car can provide 2 full round-trips. So if there are 12 runs per hour of 8-car trains then you need enough cars for two hours in each direction for at least an hour to get the system primed. 8*8*2=128 cars, minimum, to support that service. The CTA's RPM documents project a need possibly as high as 35 Red Line trains per hour in 2040. That seems optimistic to me, but if that level of demand were to come to be, it could be met with either 35 8-car trains or 28 10-car trains. The same graph shows a maximum of about 22 Red Line runs per hour currently (in 2020). 22*8=176 cars per hour, and because each full run takes 2 hours to support that level for at least 2 hours requires double that, or 352 cars. I don't know what the CTA's in-service levels are, but lets say they can manage 90% in-service rates at the Red Line yards. That means they need to be able to hold 392 cars across the Red Line yards to meet the current maximum levels of service.

If their 2040 levels of service really do require the equivalent of 35 runs of 8-car trains, then they would require room for 623 cars, an increase of 59%.

And that's assuming that the projected 35-car runs assumes 8-car trains. If ridership actually demanded 35 runs per hour of 10-car trains, it would require 778 cars, or over double the current maximum needed. Now, chances are the CTA will not require that many cars, but either way the point remains the same that the CTA will need a lot more cars to meet projected demand.

Plus, turning back south of Cermak doesn't save as much as you seem to think. It takes 63 minutes to get from Howard to 95th, but it takes 45 minutes to get just past Cermak, basically a savings of 25% of the time and so if you turned back half of the runs, you're only saving about 12.5% of the needed cars. Even with that, you're looking at projected yard space increases of 50-60% more by 2040. You can't gain that by only extended track lengths at Howard, even if the space existed at Howard (which is a big if - maybe you could take over Triangle Park, but that would be unpopular and might not even solve the problem), because with additional cars, you need additional repair bays, too, and move for car movement for assembly and breakdown.

ardecila Feb 24, 2020 11:46 PM

First, the planning documents for RPM are going to show a huge increase in ridership because they have to justify the multi-billion expense of rebuilding the line, pulling from a Federal funding source (New Starts and/or Core Capacity) that are meant to either provide totally new transit service or add extra capacity to overcrowded lines, respectively. The planning studies have to show ridership growth because the Feds haven't created a program explicitly for "rebuilding crumbling rail lines". While the numbers are not outright lies, let's say they are probably very cherry-picked. I'm sure the planning documents for the Green Line rebuild and the Pink Line rebuild showed similar projections of high growth, even though the last 2 decades have shown nothing but population loss on the South and West Sides.

Second, even if there is high growth requiring additional service, it's likely most of that growth will be on the North Side. I'm sure it's mathematically true that this growth can be accommodated by a corresponding decrease in service to the South Side... if you want more air on one side of a balloon, pinch the other side. Of course, this would only apply at peak, and my vague sense is that the South Side ridership is less strongly peaked than the North Side ridership. So reducing service on the south Red Line (from, say, 3-minute headways to 6-minute headways) would not necessarily cause a capacity issue.

Third, such a trade-off may not be easy to make. Even if the turnback was built tomorrow, I don't know if the Red Line's infrastructure could handle 30% more trains circulating on the north half of the line, from a power, signaling, operational or safety perspective. It might end up being more cost-effective to just go bananas lengthening all the platforms to 10-car operation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioGuy (Post 8841169)
I'm assume the upcoming station rebuilds for Lawrence, Argyle, Berwyn, and Bryn Mawr will not include platform lengthening to accommodate the potential for running 10 car trains in the future?

Supposedly they will include this. Howard and Wilson already did provide 10-car platforms, and Fullerton/Belmont are designed to be easily extended in the future. Loyola could probably also berth 10 car trains with minor modifications. The Belmont Flyover project will probably open up the ability to extend Addison's platforms as well.

Mr Downtown Feb 25, 2020 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1052 (Post 8841201)
I don't think there is much room in the row south of the portal to add a center track

Look at an aerial. There's a tremendous amount of vacant IDOT land on both sides of the Red Line from 18th all the way down to 24th.

https://i.imgur.com/MAMgLP2.png

Google Maps

k1052 Feb 25, 2020 6:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8841882)
Look at an aerial. There's a tremendous amount of vacant IDOT land on both sides of the Red Line from 18th all the way down to 24th.

https://i.imgur.com/MAMgLP2.png

Google Maps

Oh I'm sorry, it's almost like I didn't account for that possibility in the part of my post that you cut off. Yeah you can add a center track there to do turn backs for probably a few hundred million that the CTA doesn't have.

ardecila Feb 25, 2020 6:54 PM

Setting aside the existence of land, the grades may not work. I believe the Red Line is on a grade from the tunnel portal until just before the Cermak platform... a sloped grade is probably not ideal for train storage since the brakes would have to be engaged the whole time... if the slope is not a problem, then the obvious candidate for a layup track is the existing 13th St portal.

The cheapest place for a flat layup track might be in the Dan Ryan median... just get rid of the breakdown lane on either side and spread the tracks apart. You could even do this south of 35th so CTA can bring on extra trains for Sox games.