SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

PHX31 Dec 3, 2019 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 8765427)
I've been wondering about that too. It seems like multiple corners outside the convention center are under construction. I wonder if at least part of it has something to do with the South Central light rail extension and the new downtown hub. I think part of the project is to create a new loop of track for train staging and turnarounds. Yesterday, I saw group of people who looked like construction supervisors wearing Valley Metro vests walking along 5th Street. I think it was related to this work:

https://www.valleymetro.org/sites/de...rk11.14.19.pdf

There was some very nice new landscaping along the south side, including a large number of palm trees. I can't imagine that was cheap when originally installed. Since this was public funding, I wonder if they had to salvage all of those trees, or were they just yanked out?

CrestedSaguaro Dec 3, 2019 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 8765504)
There was some very nice new landscaping along the south side, including a large number of palm trees. I can't imagine that was cheap when originally installed. Since this was public funding, I wonder if they had to salvage all of those trees, or were they just yanked out?

Agreed. There was very nice shading and landscaping along there. Was one of my favorite sections to walk that's quiet in downtown. I hope they are able to restore everything.

Chestnut1 Dec 4, 2019 12:08 AM

Regarding the Convention Center, I did some quick sleuthing around on Google and the COP website. Apparently the north building was built with a temporary shoring wall when it was completed in 2008. They are now replacing it with a permanent shoring wall. I would think it's a very good bet the landscaping will be replaced. Why this was done was not so clear - I would assume to expand in the future but I'm really not sure.

combusean Dec 4, 2019 1:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chestnut1 (Post 8765932)
Regarding the Convention Center, I did some quick sleuthing around on Google and the COP website. Apparently the north building was built with a temporary shoring wall when it was completed in 2008. They are now replacing it with a permanent shoring wall. I would think it's a very good bet the landscaping will be replaced. Why this was done was not so clear - I would assume to expand in the future but I'm really not sure.

This is sad. There was a huge opportunity to expand the X-Hall with a south building replacement and that is dead in the water now.

It feels like CoP is abandoning a lot of the convention center investments.

CrestedSaguaro Dec 4, 2019 4:15 PM

Couple of slow news days, so just throwing out some crane numbers. Did a little driving around yesterday and this is what I think we will have going by mid-January crane-wise.

Current Cranes:
X-Phoenix (2 cranes)
AC Hotel
Kennect
Wexford
McKinley (coming down within 2 weeks though)

Upcoming cranes most likely by mid-January:
Aspire
Creativity Center (ASU Residential)
the Fillmore (probably 2 cranes)
Link Phase 2
Thunderbird

Possible cranes, but not sure on these:
the Battery
Broadstone Portland
Hines, but don't think this will have a crane until about March or so.

All-in-all, by mid-January, there should be no less than 11 cranes in the skyline, possibly more. A good chunk of these cranes (6) will be West of 1st Ave. Driving in from I-10 West is going to look insane!

Also, I noticed the fence has been expanded around the Knipe House to include the vacant lots and along the adjacent alley. Several permits have been issued for the 5 story Ro2 office surrounding Knipe, so I think we may be also seeing movement on that soon.

Edit: Corrected ASU Residential name.

Phxguy Dec 5, 2019 7:01 AM

Work is ramping up on Punch Bowl Soclal, noticed wooden partitions in front of the building facade along 2nd St. Excited to see this one pick up.

Also, anyone notice the grass put into the corner where Revolver Record’s used to be, now Ben’s Bells? Actually kind of spruces the shabby lot up a bit.

Obadno Dec 5, 2019 5:34 PM

News on Phase 2 of the Union Apartments at 1st/Roosevelt

Quote:

A joint venture of Chicago-based real estate firms bought the Union at Roosevelt mixed-use apartment complex and the adjacent lot and office building with plans to redevelop the lot into the second phase of the project.

The 80-unit apartment complex on Roosevelt Street and First Avenue — which includes nine studio, 60 one-bedroom and 11 two-bedroom units with an average size of approximately 830 square feet — was sold for $23 million, according to real estate database Vizzda. The adjacent parcel was purchased for $4 million.

The buyers, Randolph Street Realty Capital and Origin Investments plan to build a second phase with an additional 105 apartment units on the adjacent parcel. The acquisition and construction project will total about $55 million.

The ground floor of the apartment complex includes 9,100 square feet of retail space, which is 33% occupied by Fatty Daddy Ice Cream and Genuine Wine Bar. Robert Tanaka, founder of Randolph Street Realty Capital, said the firm will first focus on leasing the remaining retail space.

Tanaka said the firm is designing the second phase to be consistent with the first, and the company is aiming to fit in with the existing community.

“We're excited to be in the Roosevelt neighborhood,” Tanaka said. “We want to bring a property to market that’s consistent with the neighborhood.”

The second phase will include 4,000 square feet of ground-floor retail, as well as amenities for residents, including a fitness center, pool and rooftop deck.

Tanaka said the firm has submitted plans to the city for the project's second phase and expects to break ground during second-quarter 2020. The new units will be available in early 2022. Randolph Street will be the second phase's operating partner and developer.

The property is in a qualified opportunity zone, which provides tax breaks on capital gains invested into buildings in the zones.

“On its own merits, the first phase of Union at Roosevelt represents an excellent investment vehicle,” said Thomas Briney, director of acquisitions for Origin Investments, in a statement. “That initial phase will anchor the investment and provide stable cash flow as phase two is developed. Ultimately, given the high-quality construction standards and the addition of a modern, state of the art amenity center available for both phases, Union at Roosevelt will be a vibrant first-class asset.”

Phxguy Dec 5, 2019 6:34 PM

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/b...=ReviveOldPost

Another sale completed downtown, this time the Collier Center.

downtownphxguy12 Dec 5, 2019 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8767663)
News on Phase 2 of the Union Apartments at 1st/Roosevelt

the lot next door (to the south?) seems small for 100 more units. Maybe going tall. or tearing down the structure south of vacant lot

downtownphxguy12 Dec 5, 2019 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 (Post 8767869)
the lot next door (to the south?) seems small for 100 more units. Maybe going tall. or tearing down the structure south of vacant lot

pretty cool to see another lot filled. maybe something other than a restaurant /bar in the retail space.

biggus diggus Dec 5, 2019 7:37 PM

They bought three lots south of Union. If the other development on 1st and McKinley happens that means the entire block will be full.

combusean Dec 5, 2019 9:04 PM

It'll be another five story 4 over 1 project like every other mixed use apartment building.

Obadno Dec 5, 2019 10:47 PM

I have an inside scoop for the land next to McKinley Court apartments. That corner at McKinley and 2nd ave is currently being used for construction Prep but once that is completed a smaller independent developer is going to build a small condo complex on that corner.

Dont ask how I know, but I know :tup:

ASU Diablo Dec 5, 2019 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8768141)
I have an inside scoop for the land next to McKinley Court apartments. That corner at McKinley and 2nd ave is currently being used for construction Prep but once that is completed a smaller independent developer is going to build a small condo complex on that corner.

Dont ask how I know, but I know :tup:

You're talking about NWC? If so, is it no longer the MetroWest development? Residences on 2nd or something like that? Cause this originally was townhomes unless they sold it off.

Obadno Dec 5, 2019 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 8768171)
You're talking about NWC? If so, is it no longer the MetroWest development? Residences on 2nd or something like that? Cause this originally was townhomes unless they sold it off.

Its metrowest, I am being told Condos planned start time is Feb/March.

ASU Diablo Dec 5, 2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8768185)
Its metrowest, I am being told Condos planned start time is Feb/March.

Got it. Sorry but we've known this for years man!! :cheers: It will be townhomes just like their projects on 3rd and 4th Aves. We even have renderings! We all assumed grounbreaking would occur when site was no longer going to be used as stating for McKinley Court

https://s4745.pcdn.co/wp-content/upl...McKinley-1.jpg

Obadno Dec 6, 2019 4:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 8768199)
Got it. Sorry but we've known this for years man!! :cheers: It will be townhomes just like their projects on 3rd and 4th Aves. We even have renderings! We all assumed grounbreaking would occur when site was no longer going to be used as stating for McKinley Court

https://s4745.pcdn.co/wp-content/upl...McKinley-1.jpg

I thought I discovered something :(

fawd Dec 6, 2019 8:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8768698)
I thought I discovered something :(

How embarrassing for you....

Obadno Dec 6, 2019 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 8769087)
How embarrassing for you....

https://i.imgflip.com/2gjvxy.jpg

pbenjamin Dec 6, 2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8765348)
This city really did develop so strangely think of these major intersections that were and still are vacant baffalingly

Mcdowell and Central, Indian School and Central, Central and Camelback, 7th (and Ave) and Roosevelt etc etc

goes on and on. I mean I know why but its still .... :hell:

??