SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

CrestedSaguaro Apr 20, 2016 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxhbg (Post 7414488)
On a side note, with all the light rail expansion there should be less need for parking in these new developments downtown.

This is an old argument that Phoenix doesn't seem to get. And the thing is, there's so much available parking Downtown right now, I don't even have an issue finding a parking meter when I need one. I can park at virtually any block any time of day and have minimal walking distance.

I do not get this "We need more parking" mentality of Phoenix.

exit2lef Apr 20, 2016 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7414588)
This is an old argument that Phoenix doesn't seem to get. And the thing is, there's so much available parking Downtown right now, I don't even have an issue finding a parking meter when I need one. I can park at virtually any block any time of day and have minimal walking distance.

I do not get this "We need more parking" mentality of Phoenix.

Sadly, it's coming from some people who identify themselves as urban advocates. Some (although by no means all) of the people screaming most loudly about the recent demolition of vintage buildings also argue that ASU needs to build parking garages and that Roosevelt Row needs more parking. I've even heard a bizarre argument that somehow more parking garages are needed to make Downtown more walkable. While garages are preferable to surface lots, it's on street parking that does the most to promote walk appeal.

Obadno Apr 20, 2016 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7414616)
Sadly, it's coming from some people who identify themselves as urban advocates. Some (although by no means all) of the people screaming most loudly about the recent demolition of vintage buildings also argue that ASU needs to build parking garages and that Roosevelt Row needs more parking. I've even heard a bizarre argument that somehow more parking garages are needed to make Downtown more walkable. While garages are preferable to surface lots, it's on street parking that does the most to promote walk appeal.

Ive never had to park more than a couple of blocks away even on event days.

But inst there hard-coded laws about how much parking developers must build per occupant or something?

dtnphx Apr 20, 2016 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7414616)

Trust me on this, preservationists or Circles on Central advocates are not the ones clamoring for parking garages. It's people who are rarely downtown who don't use public transportation and want that convenience because they're used to it in other parts of the Valley. People who live downtown or enjoy what it has to offer park where they can and walk.

CrestedSaguaro Apr 20, 2016 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 7414688)
Trust me on this, preservationists or Circles on Central advocates are not the ones clamoring for parking garages. It's people who are rarely downtown who don't use public transportation and want that convenience because they're used to it in other parts of the Valley. People who live downtown or enjoy what it has to offer park where they can and walk.

Actually, I think there may be some merit to exit2lef's argument. I have noticed over the last year that a LOT of ASU students have been parking in the free areas around Roosevelt and walking to classes. I am even guilty of this myself to save a buck or 2 when working Downtown (and to get some exercise). This may be giving the false impression that there are not enough parking spots for ASU students Downtown. How much do students pay to park? Are there parking incentives since they are attending ASU?

I don't think the preservationists would be complaining on the parking, at least not much. Just the local residents that look out their windows on 3rd, 4th, McKinley, etc. and see the street parking full.

exit2lef Apr 20, 2016 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 7414688)

Trust me. I know some outspoken preservationists who are advocating for parking garages and whom I've never seen walk, ride a bike, or take light rail. There are certainly many Downtown advocates who literally walk the walk, but there are others who don't understand the tension between urban vitality and excessive car dependence.

Obadno Apr 20, 2016 7:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7414705)
Actually, I think there may be some merit to exit2lef's argument. I have noticed over the last year that a LOT of ASU students have been parking in the free areas around Roosevelt and walking to classes. I am even guilty of this myself to save a buck or 2 when working Downtown (and to get some exercise). This may be giving the false impression that there are not enough parking spots for ASU students Downtown. How much do students pay to park? Are there parking incentives since they are attending ASU?

I don't think the preservationists would be complaining on the parking, at least not much. Just the local residents that look out their windows on 3rd, 4th, McKinley, etc. and see the street parking full.

ASU rakes you over the rails for parking. Even the shitty spots are several hundred dollars.

exit2lef Apr 20, 2016 7:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7414654)
Ive never had to park more than a couple of blocks away even on event days.

But inst there hard-coded laws about how much parking developers must build per occupant or something?

Yes, but exceptions can be made for urban projects. With the Derby, parking has been reduced below the normally required ratio. I hope we'll see more of that with developments in the pipeline. It's one thing for developers and their sources of financing to want a certain amount of parking to meet anticipated demand. That's the market at work. It's another thing entirely for government to require more parking than is actually needed.

combusean Apr 20, 2016 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7414767)
Trust me. I know some outspoken preservationists who are advocating for parking garages and whom I've never seen walk, ride a bike, or take light rail. There are certainly many Downtown advocates who literally walk the walk, but there are others who don't understand the tension between urban vitality and excessive car dependence.

When I lived downtown, I would drive from 4th Ave and McKinley to the Circle K--Fillmore was just that crummy of a street to schlep up and down.

In other news, there are updated aerial photos of Phoenix and Tempe on Google Maps. You can see everything under construction.

ASU Diablo Apr 20, 2016 8:34 PM

Downtown Phoenix district targeted as startup hub

Torn about this proposed "Innovation District". I would've loved the Warehouse District to become an entertainment district and see come cool adaptive reuse projects for restaurants and bars. Still, the district has organically evolved into housing some tech start-ups and other businesses which is a good thing as well. Hopefully this revitalizes the area and brings some housing

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...-hub/83249900/

Obadno Apr 20, 2016 9:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7414852)
Torn about this proposed "Innovation District". I would've loved the Warehouse District to become an entertainment district and see come cool adaptive reuse projects for restaurants and bars. Still, the district has organically evolved into housing some tech start-ups and other businesses which is a good thing as well. Hopefully this revitalizes the area and brings some housing

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...-hub/83249900/

City planners need to know when to let organic growth determine things. Nortth/central Downtown is becoming the living/nightlife/entertainment area.

ASU Diablo Apr 20, 2016 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7414901)
City planners need to know when to let organic growth determine things. Nortth/central Downtown is becoming the living/nightlife/entertainment area.

Agreed but a true entertainment district doesn't really exist. Perhaps w/ Block 23 being developed and if the new arena becomes a reality, the "Legends District" can actually be something now up/down Jefferson St and maybe off 3rd/5th Streets

Jjs5056 Apr 22, 2016 2:38 AM

Yes, same people who forced the removal of street parking along Roosevelt are the same ones demanding parking lots and garages despite a city-funded analysis showing a surplus in the thousands. Phoenix should be redeveloping garages like Chase, Regency, and 111 VB, not building new ones.

The 'Innovation District' is exactly what I feared was coming for the Warehouse District; whoring out the low cost of land and buildings to attract 9-5 businesses. Yes, organic growth is more successful than force-fed projection, and the tech businesses already there are great additions. But, the District is a really important piece of Central Phoenix and painting it as a tech hub ignores its potential to house entertainment clusters, its history as an agricultural center, its potential for affordable housing, its ability to hold a multi-modal transit center at Union Station...

Also, don't hold your breathe on Legends Entertainment ever becoming an identifiable district. It was a ploy to sell ad space, all of which is horribly tacky and adds nothing to the 'vibe' of the area. At the very least, a Legends Square , Walk of Fame, and/or Museum within the Warehouse District would have given it some legitimacy.

Jjs5056 Apr 22, 2016 2:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 7414448)
Arizona Board of Regents Acquires Land in Downtown

This story alludes to more possibilities for the site including student housing, regular apartments or condos. Nice to see it may not just be ASU space, but a mix perhaps.

http://downtownphoenixjournal.com/20...d-in-downtown/

Unfortunately, those uses were proposed by bids that were rejected. ASU has no plans for the site. Knowing that large-scale residential could have been built along Civic Space in the neat future, but was brushed aside so that ASU could land-bank an entire block when it still has no plans for the rest of its empty land is outrageous.

As I've said, this essentially solidifies Civic Space as ASU property. The SunCard entry Post Office and now all of its major frontage will be ASU real estate. I would imagine high-end hotels, condos, etc. would have been great with views of the park and would have helped break up the suburban campus.

Quote:

Despite how ugly all the student complexes in Tempe are, I wouldn't mind ASU getting a few to add to density. Someone get Campus communities on the horn and have them build a 20-story like they did on College.
Yes, the lack of student housing - ironic compared to Tempe - in downtown Phoenix is confusing. ASU should add another official dorm, and the lots near Fillmore/Central are perfect for some high-rise student housing towers with Barnes and Noble and other retailers.

azsunsurfer Apr 22, 2016 7:20 PM

Barnes and Noble is a dying chain. You're too funny sometimes.

azsunsurfer Apr 26, 2016 3:49 PM

Scaffolding collapsed at Union yesterday due to the strong winds. A car was crushed. No fatalities.

exit2lef Apr 26, 2016 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 7421103)
Scaffolding collapsed at Union yesterday due to the strong winds. A car was crushed. No fatalities.

My neighbor works in construction, but he stayed home yesterday. I assume work at his job site was suspended due to high winds. Riding my bicycle on the way home yesterday, let's just say I was glad to have that 25 MPH wind at my back and not working against me.

In other words, The Business Journal has a story this morning about a proposed apartment building at the southwest corner of Central and Camelback. Unfortunately, the article is behind a paywall so I don't know any details beyond the headline.

dtnphx Apr 26, 2016 4:26 PM

Here you go:

EXCLUSIVE: $24M apartment complex proposed for Camelback, Central land

A development group wants to build a $24 million, 120-unit, seven-story apartment building on land next to the Metro light rail stop at Camelback Road and Central Avenue.

The city of Phoenix owns the land at the southwest corner and asked for development bids earlier this year. One group — called Cornerstone at Central & Camelback LLC — has put in a bid.

Cornerstone includes real estate industry veterans Wayne Howard, Reid Butler and Martin Aronson. The group owns some adjacent land. The group has put in a $790,000 cash offer for the land. A city request for proposals pegged a minimum bid price of $788,800.

The Cornerstone bid also includes allowing the city to temporarily use some bus lanes and bays on the land and would include community use space such as event space, bicycle and handicapped parking for nearby shops. Cornestone said those bring up the value of its bid to $1.36 million, according to city documents.

The Davis Experience architecture firm in Tempe will help design the apartment project.

Howard and Aronson could not be reached for comment on the bid. City documents show Butler is a 5 percent partner in the proposed apartments.

Apartment rents are expected be between $900 and $2,300 per month, according to Cornerstone plans filed with the city.

The land is currently undeveloped and its catty-corner to the refurbished Uptown Plaza.

City staff will try to finalize a purchase and development deal which could then be forwarded to the Phoenix City Council this summer.

Mike Sunnucks writes about residential and commercial real estate, government, law, sports business and workplace issues.

dtnphx Apr 26, 2016 4:26 PM

duplicate

exit2lef Apr 26, 2016 4:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 7421163)
Here you go:

EXCLUSIVE: $24M apartment complex proposed for Camelback, Central land

A development group wants to build a $24 million, 120-unit, seven-story apartment building on land next to the Metro light rail stop at Camelback Road and Central Avenue.

Thanks. Seven stories sounds about right for that area. It's tall enough to nearly match the BMO building across the street and add density near the light rail station, but not a true high rise that would run into inevitable opposition from nearby historic districts.