SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

HX_Guy Jan 15, 2014 6:33 PM

Yeah, here is the site today...

http://www.nitnelav.com/buchannan/4.jpg

It seems like they will save these two buildings, but like you said, they will be buried in the middle of the project.
http://www.nitnelav.com/buchannan/1.jpg

http://www.nitnelav.com/buchannan/3.jpg

All of these will be demolished. They weren't much to look at but could have been rehabbed maybe?
http://www.nitnelav.com/buchannan/2.jpg

And this is the building they are keeping.
http://www.nitnelav.com/buchannan/5.jpg

PHX31 Jan 15, 2014 7:17 PM

Yeah, they're not much to look at now, but they're relatively old and have the semi-classic warehouse look with the stepped parapet. I just hate losing anything of marginal value when there is sooooo much asphalt around. I'll take it though, especially considering they're keeping the two older and better historic structures.

HX_Guy Jan 15, 2014 7:26 PM

I hate that they are closing off Buchanan St though, so one of those two building will be part of the property...by the pool? That's...weird. Would have been cool to leave the street open and incorporate those somehow, maybe even have them as retail/cafe or something. They will probably end up being the leasing office.

poconoboy61 Jan 15, 2014 7:36 PM

So this is only going to be four stories? I was hoping for more height. Is there also going to be a small surface lot for parking? I don't know why the future residents can't just get by with street parking or any underground lot?

nickw252 Jan 15, 2014 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poconoboy61 (Post 6407826)
I don't know why the future residents can't just get by with street parking or any underground lot?

This is Phoenix, you don't build (successful) residential projects with only street parking. It is what it is. Underground parking would be nice but it's much more expensive.

PHXFlyer11 Jan 15, 2014 8:36 PM

I like the project, but not the fact that they are trying to kill Buchanan street.

I hope the city doesn't let that closure of Buchanan street happen. Maybe this would push the developer to go up to 6-7 stories if they lose the space they would've gained with the street closed. My guess is that they are claiming they cannot put in a parking garage without closing the street.

plinko Jan 15, 2014 10:42 PM

Splitting hairs I guess, but anybody else notice that their site plan is shown on the wrong blocks? (2nd to 3rd instead of 3rd to 4th). I would fire an intern for that!

HX_Guy Jan 15, 2014 10:43 PM

Yep, that had me all confused when I was looking at the satellite map on Google.

HX_Guy Jan 15, 2014 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poconoboy61 (Post 6407826)
So this is only going to be four stories? I was hoping for more height. Is there also going to be a small surface lot for parking? I don't know why the future residents can't just get by with street parking or any underground lot?

I don't see a surface lot, there is a parking garage though.

If they don't close Buchanan, I think the project would be a lot more expensive for the builder so that's probably a must. You would need to go with an underground garage probably or have two separate ones I'm guessing, people wouldn't like parking in the garage and then crossing the street to get to their unit. Same thing with the pool/amenities...you would have to double those up.

Jjs5056 Jan 16, 2014 12:32 AM

My gosh, we are assembling super blocks to appease developers of low rise apartment complexes now?

This is a true disaster for Phoenix and the warehouse district - or, the little hope of one day having one. I can't believe this... I'm in utter disbelief that we might lose an entire street in the last walkable part of downtown for a suburban style complex where people will park their SUVs and tan at their gated pools, and never explore the "ghetto" next to them after game day.

And, that entre street is filled with some of the most usable warehouse structures left. This city is a fucking joke and I'm so sick of caring.

FYI, this project was discussed and impact feared back when the sale went through as this was part of the proposed Jackson St District. We should've known.

And, that warehouse looks better in its current condition than in the "rehabbed" rendering; they should keep their filthy, suburban hands off of it.

HX_Guy Jan 16, 2014 12:36 AM

I'm with you Jjs5056, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole complex had a fence around it. They could at least make it something like Roosevelt Place with walkup units and retail but from the site plan, it does not look like that at all. It's pretty sad and I feel you on the "getting sick of caring part".

Prestige Worldwide Jan 16, 2014 2:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 6407695)
Plus, abandoning the actual Buchanan Street doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I like the potential for investment to bring housing Downtown, but agree that closing off Buchanan is a bad idea. As an example, Pierce St. being cut-off between 2nd and 3rd St. is a big pedestrian inconvenience. As planned, the closing of the street is a big negative in my mind.

Jjs5056 Jan 16, 2014 2:33 AM

Create a private pedestrian bridge or underpass between the two sides if that's the issue; I have to imagine having a unique cafe or retail at your doorstep in renovated warehouses outweighs the inconvenience of having to walk over a bridge to the pool.

HX_Guy Jan 16, 2014 2:37 AM

Great solution but we all know that won't happen. Why? Because all developers care about is dat dollar.

I think that's the biggest tragedy in construction today...and not in all markets, but certainly here. Of course it's always been about money but back in the day it seemed builders were actually proud of what they built, hell, they would put their name on the building (i.e. Luhrs). Now, it's get it up as fast and cheap as you can so then you can turn around and sell it.

Jjs5056 Jan 16, 2014 3:37 AM

Is there anyone we can write to or get involved? Michael Levine?

Can we try to persuade the developer that the audience wanting to live in this part of town is the same that would appreciate having historically-repurposed buildings preserved and in use directly on the grounds of their new digs?

We just can't let this happen anymore. Our city is literally being torn down building by building. :( Phoenix isn't CityScape, it was The Deuce that came before Patriots Park. It isn't US Airways or Chase, it was the Chinatown that was destroyed. It's the Crescent Ballroom, FilmBar, and Hotel Monroe; but for each of those comes a St. James, Madison Hotel, and an entire block of Buchanan that just 5 hears ago the city was heralding as the renaissance of the city when it was to be part of Jackson St Entertainment District. Now, it is nothing more than rubble will make way for another Roosevelt Pointe. Anyone walk past that half-mile fortress?

These aren't steps toward urbanity; they're matches that will ultimately ignite the few bits and pieces of potential that remain to at least give us pockets of a true, organic lively city experience. Living an urban lifestyle doesn't mean having a view of a skyscraper or being able to walk to a ballgame. It means being able to live in a true neighborhood, where you pass neighbors on their street instead of honking at them pulling to the garage; walking to a local deli or pharmacy where they know you enough to give you a prescription 1 day early... trust me, this happens in neighborhoods here in NYC before anyone says I'm dreaming. I don't expect that to ever be Phoenix. But, we need to stop letting this new definition of "urban" stop before it kills what little we have left.

rocksteady Jan 16, 2014 5:43 AM

I don't understand why Phoenix is so afraid to build up, on less land, and fill in the hundreds of vacant lots down there. Instead, it has become the norm to take up entire blocks of land while knocking down buildings that every other major city would have already rehabbed and worked in to new projects. And then people wonder why downtown isn't thriving with distinct neighborhoods.

This project could triple the number of stories by reducing it's massive footprint, build it on the empty spots while keeping and restoring the existing buildings.

I wish everyone (most everyone) on this forum would run for city council and help make the city we all want so badly. At the very least, we should all find a way to reach out to the developers of these massive projects and let them know what they are royally effing up.

poconoboy61 Jan 16, 2014 5:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6408683)
Is there anyone we can write to or get involved? Michael Levine?

Can we try to persuade the developer that the audience wanting to live in this part of town is the same that would appreciate having historically-repurposed buildings preserved and in use directly on the grounds of their new digs?

We just can't let this happen anymore. Our city is literally being torn down building by building. :( Phoenix isn't CityScape, it was The Deuce that came before Patriots Park. It isn't US Airways or Chase, it was the Chinatown that was destroyed. It's the Crescent Ballroom, FilmBar, and Hotel Monroe; but for each of those comes a St. James, Madison Hotel, and an entire block of Buchanan that just 5 hears ago the city was heralding as the renaissance of the city when it was to be part of Jackson St Entertainment District. Now, it is nothing more than rubble will make way for another Roosevelt Pointe. Anyone walk past that half-mile fortress?

These aren't steps toward urbanity; they're matches that will ultimately ignite the few bits and pieces of potential that remain to at least give us pockets of a true, organic lively city experience. Living an urban lifestyle doesn't mean having a view of a skyscraper or being able to walk to a ballgame. It means being able to live in a true neighborhood, where you pass neighbors on their street instead of honking at them pulling to the garage; walking to a local deli or pharmacy where they know you enough to give you a prescription 1 day early... trust me, this happens in neighborhoods here in NYC before anyone says I'm dreaming. I don't expect that to ever be Phoenix. But, we need to stop letting this new definition of "urban" stop before it kills what little we have left.

Agreed. This city is just so hellbent on developing land land to strengthen its tax base that it allows seemingly everything developers propse to be constructed. For instance, the SE corner of 3rd St and Earll, which looks like it was likely a residential block in the past is now occupied by a low rise Cigna building with an absolutely disgusting setback. The building is surrounded by surface parking. Is that type of development this city's idea of urbanity? That type of development would never fly in any other major city so how is it acceptable here?

The Pin will probably be built at Hance Park just because it's a bad idea. there's absolutely no rhyme or reason to development downtown or anywhere in the city for that matter.

Jjs5056 Jan 16, 2014 6:33 AM

Looks like even their Arizona-based leader is working out of California.

I plan on playing with SketchUp and some other tools to show some alternatives to completely closing off the block, showing what those historic buildings could be used as, etc. and sending it to the developer and as many city clearers as I can.

If anyone else is interested in brainstorming additional ideas, or interested in more of the research portion to help support the logistics and show this woj,d be financially viable and wanted by the downtown population, that would be awesome.

With enough participation and persistence, maybe we can at least present our ideas on a WebEx? I'm just sick of watching this shit go down time and time again. We are obviously the ones who care- why not try?

KevininPhx Jan 16, 2014 7:00 PM

Buchanan & 3rd St.

I can't believe how much bitching is going on about 276 apartments being built on sh**land behind the baseball stadium. I think it's awesome. And I think the renderings are pretty cool, too.

gymratmanaz Jan 16, 2014 7:29 PM

I have to agree with Kevin. Someone is starting to look in different areas, areas that need some loving! These apartments will bring more people to the downtown, possibly encourage a real supermarket for the downtown residents. This addition will definitely bring others. All developments can't be high rise additions. The success of this addition might bring a highrise across the street. Who knows?

I prefer action instead of nothing. Progress comes in all shapes and sizes.

Better to complain about something than to complain about nothing!!!

Plus, they are keeping two old buildings. Hope they turn into something cool. :)