SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Jjs5056 Mar 10, 2013 8:02 PM

Okay, I may take back my comment on the Roosevelt Pointe garage. I think I've run into this same problem before (bitching about it and then realizing it may have retail)... Does anyone know where exactly the retail will be going? I can only find articles that reference 4th street and Roosevelt so I just assumed it would front Roosevelt, and then maybe 1 spot on 4th as the North building wraps around.

But, looking at these images, it looks like there could be spots on the ground floor of the garage and on the SE corner of Garfield and 4th. Is that true?

http://www.concordeastridge.com/late...tail.php?id=32
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jac...nstruction.php

Edit: And, now this article makes it seem like there are only two spots: one at 3rd and Roosevelt, one at 4th and Garfield. Te latter is good news, since that means that at least 4th will get some action, but I'm a little disappointed. I assume the rest of the spots on Roosevelt are for a leasing office, gym, etc.?

http://downtowndevil.com/2012/10/04/...osevelt-point/

Arquitect Mar 10, 2013 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6045460)
Okay, I may take back my comment on the Roosevelt Pointe garage. I think I've run into this same problem before (bitching about it and then realizing it may have retail)... Does anyone know where exactly the retail will be going? I can only find articles that reference 4th street and Roosevelt so I just assumed it would front Roosevelt, and then maybe 1 spot on 4th as the North building wraps around.

But, looking at these images, it looks like there could be spots on the ground floor of the garage and on the SE corner of Garfield and 4th. Is that true?

http://www.concordeastridge.com/late...tail.php?id=32
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jac...nstruction.php

Edit: And, now this article makes it seem like there are only two spots: one at 3rd and Roosevelt, one at 4th and Garfield. Te latter is good news, since that means that at least 4th will get some action, but I'm a little disappointed. I assume the rest of the spots on Roosevelt are for a leasing office, gym, etc.?

http://downtowndevil.com/2012/10/04/...osevelt-point/

There will be ground level retail facing 4th Street. While 3rd Street will have some service space on the ground level. Also, as ugly as it looks now, they still have to add a trellis structure to all the visible garage facades. It is not ideal, but at least it won't be as ugly as the garages that we are used to.

Arquitect Mar 10, 2013 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6045454)
You would have a much beter argument if you were advocating for wasting water on true shade trees, rather than palms, which are more of a decorative plant than utilitarian/shade-producing. I don't care one way or the other, as I don't know enough about how much more water would be wasted by certain trees, the long-term impacts of the water waste, etc.

My point precisely. If the argument was to have large shade trees like those on Mill, I'd be 100% in favor of greater water usage. Studies show that larger lusher canopies cut down on evaporation and therefore there is greater moisture retention. So the amount of water used would not be that much grater. This effect is completely lost with palms.

Also, as I stated above, there is local species of trees, mostly in our rivers and washes, that would provide ample amounts of shade, while still being well adjusted to local conditions.

MegaBass Mar 12, 2013 1:02 AM

Per Roosevelt Row CDC Facebook Page:

Quote:

From a total list of 20 submittals, here are the four finalists for the Margaret T. Hance Park Master Plan Request for Qualifications (RFQ):

• Gould Evans (www.gouldevans.com)
• Stoss Landscape Urbanism (www.stoss.net)
• Weddle Gilmore (www.weddlegilmore.com)
• West 8 Urban Design & Landscape Architecture (www.west8.nl)

Interviews were held on March 8, with a potential selection to be made announced on or before March 12. The excitement mounts!

Arquitect Mar 12, 2013 1:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaBass (Post 6047061)

I saw that yesterday, I really hope they chose West 8. They are a really awesome landscape architecture firm, and would design a great contemporary park. I have personally enjoyed a couple of their projects.

Weddle Gilmore and Gould Evan both have local conections, which might create something a lot more grounded to the local culture, but at the same time, they are mostly architecture firms, and they don't have a ton of experience with large landscape projects.

Stoss is also a cool firm.

I mostly favor West 8 because of the name recognition that it would bring. Next to Field Operations, they are one of the most important landscape architecture firms in the world. And it is great innovators like these that will look at this space and not only see what it is, or could be in current Phoenix, but also see how this project could transform the city around it. A great example of this is their river project in Madrid, which has completely invigorated the area and produced a lot of economic development along the project.

soleri Mar 12, 2013 11:43 PM

Great news for uptown Phoenix: The once-grand Beefeaters Restaurant will become a Changing Hands bookstore/restaurant. Abestos abatement begins tomorrow and construction will take six months.

Vicelord John Mar 13, 2013 12:16 AM

the only thing more destined to fail than a book store in this day and age - a second-hand book store.

TAZ4ate0 Mar 13, 2013 12:57 AM

Meh.... not everyone is pie-eyed about reading their favorite book through digital media VJ. There is still something to be said about holding a real book in your hands. I get your point though.

Still, it sounds like good news Soleri. Changing Hands is very popular in the valley, and they often host book signings by big name authors.

Arquitect Mar 13, 2013 1:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 6048892)
the only thing more destined to fail than a book store in this day and age - a second-hand book store.

I don't know about that, Changing Hands has been pretty successful in Tempe. As well as Bookman's in its various locations.

HooverDam Mar 13, 2013 1:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arquitect (Post 6047129)
I saw that yesterday, I really hope they chose West 8. They are a really awesome landscape architecture firm, and would design a great contemporary park. I have personally enjoyed a couple of their projects.

Weddle Gilmore and Gould Evan both have local conections, which might create something a lot more grounded to the local culture, but at the same time, they are mostly architecture firms, and they don't have a ton of experience with large landscape projects.

Stoss is also a cool firm.

I mostly favor West 8 because of the name recognition that it would bring. Next to Field Operations, they are one of the most important landscape architecture firms in the world. And it is great innovators like these that will look at this space and not only see what it is, or could be in current Phoenix, but also see how this project could transform the city around it. A great example of this is their river project in Madrid, which has completely invigorated the area and produced a lot of economic development along the project.

Weddle Gilmore won, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.

We were sold on the idea that we'd be getting a world class landscape architecture/park designing firm. Instead we've gotten a local architecture firm that does nice stuff, but has no resume for this sort of thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAZ4ate0 (Post 6048951)
Changing Hands is very popular in the valley, and they often host book signings by big name authors.

Indeed, Im excited about it. Bookstores that will succeed in the present and future will do so because they're selling a communal experience more than just books. THats something that local sellers like Changing Hands and Bookmans can do, thats much more difficult for the big mega stores.

Arquitect Mar 13, 2013 1:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 6049004)
Weddle Gilmore won, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.

We were sold on the idea that we'd be getting a world class landscape architecture/park designing firm. Instead we've gotten a local architecture firm that does nice stuff, but has no resume for this sort of thing.

Indeed, Im excited about it. Bookstores that will succeed in the present and future will do so because they're selling a communal experience more than just books. THats something that local sellers like Changing Hands and Bookmans can do, thats much more difficult for the big mega stores.

Yeah, out of the four, they were definitely my last choice. If it was a building, that be great, but I was really hoping that they would chose West 8. We will get a nice design, and it probably will fit great with the current landscape, but there was so much potential to have a project like the Highline, or even Tempe Town Lake (looking at a more local example), which completely redefines the urban structure and encourages development.

Is there anything out there on their design?

PHX31 Mar 13, 2013 2:25 AM

Come on Hoover. We complain when a well known national firm with a nice portfolio desgins something and we say a local firm knows better and should be hired (sdo courthouse, sheraton, cityscape). Now we are complaining when a local firm wins something because they don't have the experience. I want everything to be perfect too, but let's give these guys some support-and at least our design money will stay locally rather than be funnelled out of state.

Arquitect Mar 13, 2013 3:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 6049096)
Come on Hoover. We complain when a well known national firm with a nice portfolio desgins something and we say a local firm knows better and should be hired (sdo courthouse, sheraton, cityscape). Now we are complaining when a local firm wins something because they don't have the experience. I want everything to be perfect too, but let's give these guys some support-and at least our design money will stay locally rather than be funnelled out of state.

I'd agree if it was Steve Martino or Tenyk. Weddle Gilmore is not a landscape architecture firm, they have no experience with a project of this sort. They were the weakest of the 4.

I am a local architect, and I support the great firms that we have in town. And also know well the work of our firms. If we wanted this to be a park that brought people to downtown, this will probably not be that "world class" project. It will be a nice Phoenix design, but not world class.

Vicelord John Mar 13, 2013 3:37 AM

Arquitect do you know jack debartolo?

Arquitect Mar 13, 2013 3:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 6049205)
Arquitect do you know jack debartolo?

Yes. He is a fantastic architect, one of the bests we have in the Valley.

Vicelord John Mar 13, 2013 3:48 AM

I figured he was pretty well known. He's on my team... Haven't seen his work but he did the design for the shop that sponsors us for their new building.

I figure all architects know each other.

HooverDam Mar 13, 2013 4:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arquitect (Post 6049195)
I'd agree if it was Steve Martino or Tenyk. Weddle Gilmore is not a landscape architecture firm, they have no experience with a project of this sort. They were the weakest of the 4.

I am a local architect, and I support the great firms that we have in town. And also know well the work of our firms. If we wanted this to be a park that brought people to downtown, this will probably not be that "world class" project. It will be a nice Phoenix design, but not world class.

Right, this is what I mean. Sorry if I wasnt clear earlier, my worry is just that the firm selected is mainly an architectural firm not landscaping/park design. Of course they're just the lead firm, they have others along with them who are more landscape architects, so....we'll see. I was just hoping to be 'wowed' and I'm not wowed, Im cautiously optimistic though.

Regarding your question on their design, they don't have a design yet. This was a Request for Qualifications, not a Request for Proposal. The design is going to take a freakin' long time. ADOT has to do a ton of repairs on the tunnel, and thats not set in stone for their timeline yet, their cost, etc. Where exactly the parks borders will be isn't even quite known.

Arquitect Mar 13, 2013 4:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 6049278)
Right, this is what I mean. Sorry if I wasnt clear earlier, my worry is just that the firm selected is mainly an architectural firm not landscaping/park design. Of course they're just the lead firm, they have others along with them who are more landscape architects, so....we'll see. I was just hoping to be 'wowed' and I'm not wowed, Im cautiously optimistic though.

Regarding your question on their design, they don't have a design yet. This was a Request for Qualifications, not a Request for Proposal. The design is going to take a freakin' long time. ADOT has to do a ton of repairs on the tunnel, and thats not set in stone for their timeline yet, their cost, etc. Where exactly the parks borders will be isn't even quite known.

So they chose the winner from their RFQ's. OK, now I am completely dumbfounded. Well, at least we will probably have a project that respects our desert environment. Most of Weddle Gilmore's projects tend to have a great connection with the desert landscape. Such as the one in the McDowell Mountains or the Aubudon Center.

nickw252 Mar 13, 2013 1:53 PM

Phoenix Just Might Be Serious About Building 'The Pin'

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/des...ding-pin/4957/

Leo the Dog Mar 13, 2013 2:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 6049563)

If built, I'd like to see it built near Willeta at 1st or 2nd street area. There is a bunch of open land and surface parking right there. It would be close to Hance Park, the library, the art museum, LR station, have great views of DT, midtown and Squaw Pk/Camelback.