SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

chris08876 Mar 30, 2020 9:01 PM

For the tri-state.

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...b0b1ddfd1.jpeg

Edit: Deaths I believe are new ones today.

JManc Mar 30, 2020 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_denizen (Post 8879124)
its in montreal, its in houston...nyc was hit earlier due to high population density, but it'll show up in other major cities v soon.

and a lot harder to stay inside when you're in an apartment or highrise in the suburbs at least you've got a yard..

This is so true. I absolutely feel for those who are truly stuck in their houses right now. My wife were at least able to get out of the house and do yard work for a few hours yesterday.

Also, wasn't New York (or New Rochelle) technically the first to be infected but unnoticed for a while until the nursing home in Kirkland WA?

subterranean Mar 30, 2020 9:19 PM

Can someone run a quick regression model comparing the number of nonstop flights to Asia at every major airport in the US, with their respective feeder states' per capita COVID cases? k thx

montréaliste Mar 30, 2020 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_denizen (Post 8879092)
is the hasidic community also shut down in Brooklyn?

As of today, the Tosh hasidic community, a small town of 4,000 north of Montreal is under quarantine. They seem to be hit pretty hard, and have a lot of back and forthing between Brooklyn and other hasidim in NY state.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...-2c4b727b2d92/

JManc Mar 30, 2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subterranean (Post 8879153)
Can someone run a quick regression model comparing the number of nonstop flights to Asia at every major airport in the US, with their respective feeder states' per capita COVID cases? k thx

I could if there was raw data but not sure where you'd even find it apart from actually researching the flight info one by one to and from each of these airports. I agree, that would be interesting to see.

10023 Mar 30, 2020 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8879084)
Right. And the first big known cluster in the U.S. was in Washington State.

First big known cluster probably because it hit a nursing home and people died. There were likely other infections earlier.

iheartthed Mar 30, 2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subterranean (Post 8879153)

New Orleans is one of the largest outbreak zones and there aren't any direct flights from there to Asia.

iheartthed Mar 30, 2020 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8879281)
First big known cluster probably because it hit a nursing home and people died. There were likely other infections earlier.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain that it was in New York much earlier than was thought. Even in Seattle they learned after the fact that people had died of covid-19 before the first known case.

KevinFromTexas Mar 30, 2020 10:48 PM

Neat video of a flyover of Austin during the stay at home order.

Video Link

subterranean Mar 30, 2020 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8879283)
New Orleans is one of the largest outbreak zones and there aren't any direct flights from there to Asia.

Ah, true. Many corporations have their own private fleets, too. I was wondering why Midland, Michigan had the first cases and most cases in central Michigan and then I remembered: Dow Chemical's world headquarters are there. There's also huge oil and chemical plants (including Dow) in New Orleans. I'm not trying to come say that's the reason, just that there may be some correlation.

Big companies here (Nike, Intel) put the kibosh on international travel right away, before anyone else (or anyone told them to) and that may be one of the reasons Oregon's numbers are so low despite being adjacent to Washington.

iheartthed Mar 30, 2020 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subterranean (Post 8879328)
Ah, true. Many corporations have their own private fleets, too. I was wondering why Midland, Michigan had the first cases and most cases in central Michigan and then I remembered: Dow Chemical's world headquarters are there. There's also huge oil and chemical plants (including Dow) in New Orleans. I'm not trying to come say that's the reason, just that there may be some correlation.

Big companies here (Nike, Intel) put the kibosh on international travel right away, before anyone else (or anyone told them to) and that may be one of the reasons Oregon's numbers are so low despite being adjacent to Washington.

Yeah, it could've also been someone from Dow traveling to other places with major outbreaks, like Europe or New York. I haven't looked closely at when the outbreak happened there.

isaidso Mar 31, 2020 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8879120)
I'm from New York, I was being factitious. I have relatives who are 65+ with some health issues who easily be susceptible to this virus. I follow more about what's going on there than I do here. The fact remains that New York state's numbers skew the US's overall numbers because the sky high infection rate in Westchester County, Long Island and NYC proper.

As for Houston, there are about a thousand cases here and rising exponentially with someone dying in my neighborhood a few days ago.

That all said, we're all in this together. State, provincial, international borders won't prevent it from spreading unless you 100% shut all borders. In a globalized world shutting borders 100% is very difficult. Take one essential product then look out how many states/provinces can make it without any inputs from beyond their borders?

Even with essential personnel it poses problems. Detroit's health care system relies on 100s of staff who trek across the border from Windsor, Ontario each day. Windsor behaves like a bedroom community of Detroit rather than an independent city in another country. Philadelphia draws staff from 4 different states.

JManc Mar 31, 2020 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 8879386)
That all said, we're all in this together. State, provincial, international borders won't prevent it from spreading unless you 100% shut all borders. In a globalized world shutting borders 100% is very difficult. Take one essential product then look out how many states/provinces can make it without any inputs from beyond their borders?

Even with essential personnel it poses problems. Detroit's health care system relies on 100s of staff who trek across the border from Windsor, Ontario each day. Windsor behaves like a bedroom community of Detroit rather than an independent city in another country. Philadelphia draws staff from 4 different states.

I spent part of my childhood in Plattsburgh NY which is spitting distance from Montreal and the QC border so I am familiar with how integrated the two sides are. I also lived in New England where tons of people cross state lines to work. Man, I get it. Again, I have family in NYS and I am very concerned about the situation up there.

isaidso Mar 31, 2020 12:45 AM

Quote:

Coronavirus tests per million inhabitants in European countries – daily update
Autor Natalia Pazura | EURACTIV.pl 0:23 (updated: 0:24)

Here is the ranking of countries from the highest to the lowest number of tests per capita. We highlight the EU member states. We report the number of tests per million people for the countries that have officially shared the number of tests. The given values are approximate. The Faroe Islands are a dependent territory of Denmark, but they do not belong to the EU.

������������ Faroe Islands – 73 787 / 1 milion people (total of 3 637 tests, 49 290 people in Faroe Islands)

������������ Iceland – 42 538 / 1 milion people (total of 15,5 thou. tests, 364 260 people in Iceland)

������������ Norway – 11 410 tests / 1 million people – 61.2 thou. tests in total

������������ Slovenia – 8 224 tests / 1 million people – 17 000 tests in total (*as of March 20)

������������ Estonia – 7 829 tests / 1 million people – 10 400 tests in total

������������ Spain – 7 715 tests / 1 million people – 360 000 tests in total

������������ Germany – 5 837 tests / 1 million people – 483 300 tests in total

������������ Austria – 5 264 tests / 1 million people – 46 441 tests in total

������������ Czech Republic – 3 821 tests / 1 million people – 40 700 tests in total

������������ Denmark – 3 604 tests / 1 million people – 20 198 tests in total

������������ Finland – 3 265 tests / 1 million people – 18 000 tests in total

������������ Lithuania – 2 794 tests / 1 million people – 8 424 tests in total

������������ Sweden – 2 525 tests / 1 million people – 24 000 tests in total

������������Belarus – 2 419 tests / 1 million people – 23 000 tests in total (*as of 25 March)

������������ United Kingdom – 1922 tests / 1 million people – 127 737 tests in total

������������ Belgium – 1 754 tests / 1 million people – 20 000 tests in total

������������ Croatia – 1 458 tests / 1 million people – 5 900 tests in total

������������ Hungary – 1 360 tests / 1 million people – 13 301 tests in total

������������ Slovakia – 1 250 tests / 1 million people – 6 817 tests in total

������������ Poland – 1 126 tests / 1 million people – 42 783 tests in total (*as of March 30)

������������ Russia – 1 079 tests / 1 million people – 156 000 tests in total (*status as of March 21)

������������ France – 896 tests / 1 million people – 60 000 tests in total

������������ Turkey – 809 tests / 1 million people – 65 400 tests in total

������������ Romania – 645 tests / 1 million people – 12 600 tests in total (*as of March 21)

������������ Ukraine – 54 tests / 1 million people – 2264 tests in total

https://www.euractiv.pl/section/bezp...-daily-update/

Canada - 5,538 tests / 1 million people - 210,435 tests in total (as of March 29, 2020)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-tests-canada/

mrnyc Mar 31, 2020 1:04 AM

9 out of 61 post office employees showed up — so now no mail:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/30/corona...age-residents/

Pedestrian Mar 31, 2020 2:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 8879424)
Canada - 5,538 tests / 1 million people - 210,435 tests in total (as of March 29, 2020)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-tests-canada/

The US has now done over a million.

The statistic that most correlates with peoples' perception of being able to get tested--and not coincidentally the one the media focuses on--is tests/population (usually 1 million people). But the ability to do tests may be more correlated with total done. At some point, you run short of reagents and all sorts of testing supplies as well as technicians to run them and so on. In addition, it was reported on TV tonight (ABC News) that testing was being inhibited by lack of PPE for testing personnel and simple lack of those testing personnel because everybody with medical training (you need some to stick a swab into somebody's nasopharynx without hurting them) is so busy inside the hospital. Much of the necessary paraphenalia is not necessarily stocked in quantities that are a function of population. In fact, the PCR test that's being done became widely known as the confrimatory test for HIV and new HIV cases have been declining so the equipment and supplies to run the test may have been allowed to attrit.

dave8721 Mar 31, 2020 2:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8878848)

Wow. Playgrounds down here were the FIRST things closed, weeks ago. Its hard to think of anything that would spread the virus more than a kids playground. Kids don't get bad symptoms but they spread it to everyone else in their family and those around them. And kids constantly touch their mouths and touch things

dchan Mar 31, 2020 4:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 8879525)
Wow. Playgrounds down here were the FIRST things closed, weeks ago. Its hard to think of anything that would spread the virus more than a kids playground. Kids don't get bad symptoms but they spread it to everyone else in their family and those around them. And kids constantly touch their mouths and touch things

With the "shelter at home" order, a vast percentage of NYC residents would be forced to be stuck in their cramped apartments. The playgrounds were regarded as open spaces that would allow adults and kids to get their exercise that was allotted to them once a day, since there aren't too many parks within walking distance for most residents. Unfortunately, enough NYC residents are idiots who don't understand what "social distancing" means, so when the weather turned nice on a few days from the past week, they were out playing team basketball, sunbathing, having their kids play together, etc. People were also jogging and cycling en masse at the parks and pathways.

In other words, we had something nice to look forward to for a daily respite, and now we don't because people are people.

Meanwhile, I've been mostly scared to even venture out. I have a large terrace that I can walk out on to, which is a great luxury. And from that terrace, I can see down on the streets people still milling about, and even some people hanging out. It's not as much as people as normally, but considering that almost nobody wears even a basic surgical mask, those are all potential COVID-19 spreaders out there, even if they don't realize it.

I have two friends in their 20s-30s who had moderately severe symptoms that got to the point that they needed to be tested. They are still riding it out in their apartments, and their symptoms vary from day to day. I also have an previous boss who was hospitalized with the swine flu in 2016 and was near death - he contracted COVID-19 (even after I told him to be careful a few weeks ago) and is currently hospitalized in an induced coma while being intubated. It's boring as sh#t to stay inside all the time, but considering the alternative, we just need to ride it out and not stress the medical community more than we are already doing now.

memph Mar 31, 2020 4:55 AM

US Metro Areas with most deaths per 1 million inhabitants (Metro Areas with 15+ deaths only)

114.1 New Orleans
68.6 New York City
47.5 Seattle
37.0 Detroit
22.2 Stamford-Bridgeport
20.4 Baton Rouge
18.8 Poughkeepsie-Middleton
14.5 San Jose
9.8 Indianapolis
8.7 Atlanta

Looks like Detroit might be emerging as a new epicentre in addition to the existing ones in New Orleans/Louisiana and the greater NYC area... Its deaths have been increasing significantly faster than in Seattle lately so Detroit will likely overtake it this week. Indianapolis and Atlanta are also cities to keep an eye on because they're in states that don't seem to be testing that much...

dave8721 Mar 31, 2020 5:09 AM

We are late to the game in South Florida but it seems we are starting to catch up. We went from 300 cases in Miami-Dade and Broward 3 or 4 days ago to 2838 today. 16 deaths now, most of them in the last 2 days. 26 deaths now in the whole metro (Palm Beach County has had 10 deaths).