SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

combusean Oct 1, 2021 5:35 PM

Is that where the chemical plant is going up? Kind of dumb, that usually needs rail access for feedstocks.

You know where in Deer Valley? Curious to learn more about it.

xymox Oct 2, 2021 7:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 9412663)
Is that where the chemical plant is going up? Kind of dumb, that usually needs rail access for feedstocks.

You know where in Deer Valley? Curious to learn more about it.

On the north end of the Deer Valley Airpark - along Pinnacle Peak Rd. There was a map somewhere that showed the exact lot - right now I think its empty desert north of the runway.

Most definitely not any rail up there. If they needed rail - there are sites in Surprise that would provide that - as well as proximity to the TSMC site itself via L303.

If I lived up around Norterra - I'd be pretty annoyed that something like this was going in so close. Seems like this is not something you would want to put near residential areas for any number of reasons.

CrestedSaguaro Oct 3, 2021 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9411998)
I remember reading an article that exterior renovations were to occur over the summer but not info was shared nor renderings were provided. I figured it was minor work but seems to be much more than that which is a pleasant surprise.

Did you happen to grab any pics? Might have to take a drive down there soon and check out the new FanDuel Sports Book at the same time :tup:

Didn't grab any pics. Right now, they are just attaching cladding rails along the garage and South side.

ASU Diablo Oct 5, 2021 8:49 PM

Here’s Why Phoenix Asked Suns Owners To Demolish Historic Hotel

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9356696)
Agreed. Newer rending looks a whole lot better than what I posted.

Quick drive around downtown and everything looks great.

- St James Hotel was demo’ed today. Thanks Sarver /s
- Temporary BofA drive-thru ATM by new ASU dorm is being taken down. Wonder what plans ASU has in store for this lot. Narrow lot so something with some density/height would be cool

Came across this article which explains why the St James Hotel was knocked down and surprise, surprise...it was at the request of the City and not Sarver. I still blame Sarver for this though lol

https://kjzz.org/content/1720572/her...historic-hotel

PHX31 Oct 5, 2021 9:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9416201)
Came across this article which explains why the St James Hotel was knocked down and surprise, surprise...it was at the request of the City and not Sarver. I still blame Sarver for this though lol

https://kjzz.org/content/1720572/her...historic-hotel

So the Suns own the parcel, but the City needs to dig within the parcel (i.e. under the hotel) for light rail purposes? I don't quite understand, and need more details. The City must have purchased additional right-of-way from the Suns along the north side of the parcel, right? An easement? Because I don't think they ever just put anything under private owned land unless I'm missing something.

combusean Oct 5, 2021 9:14 PM

I thought they were/are building turnaround tracks in that area which might need related underground work.

combusean Oct 5, 2021 9:15 PM

I hope the historic property survey at least has pictures of the interior. Shame they couldn't have taken newer photos of the inside.

PHX31 Oct 5, 2021 9:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 9416232)
I thought they were/are building turnaround tracks in that area which might need related underground work.

So, basically those parking lots are sounding less and less likely to ever be built upon?

ASU Diablo Oct 5, 2021 9:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 9416232)

I thought the loops would be built at 5th St and 3rd Ave?

combusean Oct 5, 2021 9:42 PM

It's half a block from the South Central line, if somebody wants to look at the engineering diagrams for that they're online.

Been too long since I've been downtown to realize where the St James was...

combusean Oct 5, 2021 9:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 9416251)
So, basically those parking lots are sounding less and less likely to ever be built upon?

These sports team owners tend to be hyperfocused on parking and Sarver doesn't seem like much of a developer. Maybe they didn't have the capital available but a hotel/mixed use project to be concurrent with the arena renovation would have been a good use of time.

Obadno Oct 7, 2021 5:26 PM

Since we still arent getting a lot of news. Drove around downtown a few times this week and things are back to life in a big way, busy sidewalks, lots around and most of the new apartments arent even open yet!

Additionally Palmtower has a nice new sign on its fencing announcing its on its way, groundbreaking must be imminent.

locolife Oct 7, 2021 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9418292)
Since we still arent getting a lot of news. Drove around downtown a few times this week and things are back to life in a big way, busy sidewalks, lots around and most of the new apartments arent even open yet!

Additionally Palmtower has a nice new sign on its fencing announcing its on its way, groundbreaking must be imminent.

Awesome news on Palm. Fingers crossed that this along with Astra and Central Station get going soon.

ASU Diablo Oct 7, 2021 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locolife (Post 9418370)
Awesome news on Palm. Fingers crossed that this along with Astra and Central Station get going soon.

Astra won't break ground till at least the 2nd half of 2022 and Central Station is more than likely dead at this point lol

Phase 2 of X Society is probably the next tower to break ground and that's scheduled for Q1 of next year. I hope I'm wrong here.

Diamonddave Oct 7, 2021 8:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9418388)
Astra won't break ground till at least the 2nd half of 2022 and Central Station is more than likely dead at this point lol

Phase 2 of X Society is probably the next tower to break ground and that's scheduled for Q1 of next year. I hope I'm wrong here.

I thought I read in this thread or another that Astra was breaking ground in the 2Q of 22 not second half but I could be wrong.

ASU Diablo Oct 7, 2021 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamonddave (Post 9418541)
I thought I read in this thread or another that Astra was breaking ground in the 2Q of 22 not second half but I could be wrong.

Ur right.

From PBJ "Plans call for breaking ground toward the end of the first half of 2022, he said."

Diamonddave Oct 7, 2021 8:32 PM

Thanks Diablo I do agree with you on Central Station.

Obadno Oct 7, 2021 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamonddave (Post 9418552)
Thanks Diablo I do agree with you on Central Station.

Has phoenix gotten any single RFP to work out?

ASU Diablo Oct 7, 2021 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9418557)
Has phoenix gotten any single RFP to work out?

The Fillmore is the only recent one that comes to mind. But even that one took 2 tries due to that whole conflict of interest thing...

I think someone said this before but Phoenix city staff needs to mimic what Tempe is doing. Seems like Tempe always has great success with their RFP process. If Phoenix would've chosen Hines for the Regency Garage RFP from the beginning, maybe it could've been downtown that is filling up with towers instead of in downtown Tempe.

Diamonddave Oct 7, 2021 9:26 PM

Totally agree with the Phoenix and Tempe debate, also with the Hines issue since they are doing a few large projects in downtown Tempe.