SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

GaylordWilshire May 11, 2018 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8184366)
'mystery'

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/GULHTO.jpg
detail

Obviously that's a drive-in at far right but I can't read the stylized lettering.

-


Roberts Bros was at the nwc or Sunset & Ivar per the 1942CD... there is probably a picture of it somewhere



Looks like the tire place was Muller Bros, on the site of the Cinerama Dome...
https://s7.postimg.cc/fa87w3t2j/muller.jpg
LAPL


The building in the background of your image still stands at the nwc of Sunset & Cahuenga:

https://s7.postimg.cc/gzcpq2w57/bloo...rtsetc.bmp.jpg
LOC

Earl Boebert May 11, 2018 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RudyJK (Post 8184132)
Hi Earl, I'm pretty sure my dad (USAF 1952-1972) did some of his training at Randolph in the mid-50's and early 60's. He was a navigator/bombardier on B-29's, B-52's and in SAC. Perhaps you crossed paths?

Possible, but unlikely. It was a big and busy place back then, and I spent all my time in the computer room :-)

Cheers,

Earl

Martin Pal May 11, 2018 8:31 PM

Quote:

E_R
'mystery'
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/GULHTO.jpg
detail
Obviously that's a drive-in at far right but I can't read the stylized lettering.

__________________________________________________________________________

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 8184412)
Roberts Bros was at the nwc of Sunset & Ivar per the 1942CD... there is probably a picture of it somewhere
__________________________________________________________________________


While there's lots of photos of Robert's Drive-Ins, I can't seem to locate the one here on Sunset between Cahuenga and Ivar.

Martin Turnbull had posted this page from a menu that has a drawing of some Robert's locations, including the one in question:

https://i1.wp.com/www.martinturnbull...07/roberts.jpg
_______

NoirCityDame posted a history of the corner:

Roberts leased this property in 1939, demolishing an existing building that had been something called the Hollywood Mercantile in the 1890's; since 1917 it had housed the Frank Meline-owned Hollywood Laundry. When Roberts came along, HL moved to the north, taking its roof-sign with it. Between 1952 and Nov. 1956 became “Scrivner’s.” And some time in or around 1958 it became a gas station. Jack in the Box now occupies this property. Its Sunset address is 6407.
• 1890's Hollywood Mercantile
• 1917 Hollywood Laundry (owned by Frank Meline) buys this lot.
• 1939 Roberts Bros. lease the corner; builds its drive-in. Hollywood Laundry moves to the north
• 1952 The drive-in becomes Scrivner’s
• 1960 Drive-in is demolished for a service station (per building records)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=42366
_______

The "Dear Old Hollywood" Blogger was researching filming locations and wrote this:

"I found a great photo of the Hollywood location of Robert's Drive-In, in a book: Car Hops and Curb Service: A History of American Drive-In Restaurants 1920-1960." [By Jim Heimann.]

She did not post the photo of it, though.

http://dearoldhollywood.blogspot.com/20103
_______

Here's a photo of Scrivner's dated 1958:

http://hollywoodphotographs.com/photos/lrg/RN-134-1.jpgHollywood Photographs

Notice the "Hollywood Laundry" sign on the left, noted by Noir City Dame's listing above.
Below that, notice where it says "Top Deck." In the notation on the above menu listing for Robert's it says: "And for cocktails, there's the Nautical Top-Deck, where the clan gathers daily."
_______

From this post:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=10579

...there is a photo of the service station that Noir City Dame noted as occupying the location in 1960.

http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics46/00057643.jpgLAPL
_______

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 8184412)
Looks like the tire place was Muller Bros, on the site of the Cinerama Dome...

https://s7.postimg.cc/fa87w3t2j/muller.jpg
LAPL
__________________________________________________________________________

GW, recently I'd asked BDiH if he remembered what was on the site before the Cinerama Dome was being built and he couldn't remember. Do you think this gas station was there until the Cinerama Dome was built?

ethereal_reality May 11, 2018 9:32 PM

GW SOLVES MYSTERY LOCATION: NEWS AT 11:00
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 8184412)
Looks like the tire place was Muller Bros, on the site of the Cinerama Dome...
https://s7.postimg.cc/fa87w3t2j/muller.jpg
LAPL

Thanks for the follow-ups GW & Martin Pal.


Here's a recap on the "tire tower" service station.

"The Muller Brothers Service Station was located on the south side of Sunset Boulevard on 4 acres, where the Cinerama Dome Theatre is now located.
Opened in 1920 by the Muller brothers, Walter and Frank, this became the largest service station in the world (including a large automobile supply center),
employing 120 people by 1937. Celebrities, from Rudolph Valentino to Clark Gable, came by regularly to get gas or just work on their cars.
In 1963 the site was sold for the Cinerama Dome Theater."



https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/asLn2b.jpg
water & power

"A customer gets full service at the gas pumps at Muller Bros. Service Station at 6380 Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood." [c.1928]

*note the mystery cafeteria across the street.





https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/E2PzR6.jpg
water & power

"View of what a 1937 Cadillac LaSalle Opera Coupe being attended to in "full service" at the Muller Brothers Service Station at 6380 Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood."

Hofbrau Garden?

__

ethereal_reality May 11, 2018 9:41 PM

:previous:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/buLErm.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...924/843bSM.jpg
EBAY

ethereal_reality May 11, 2018 10:20 PM

renamed The Landing in 1951
 
Believe it or not, this is Mueller Bros. as well.


Did it really have a CONTROL TOWER? :shrug:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/Ewk2Af.jpg
johnstraub

In 1951 the Muller Bros., an Oldsmobile-Firestone Tire-Car Wash-Cafe-Body Shop-Home Appliance-Auto Supply Dealer located at Sunset and Ivar in L.A., named their complex
"The Landing." With good reason, they had everything you could want on one lot. It was giant compared to most new and used car dealers of the time, even had a control tower.
They came up with the idea to hold a beauty contest to celebrate the 3,000,000th car to be pulled through its car wash."




Arrival

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/irmqa7.jpg


Miss Infra-Red Paint Job.....what the heck is a Infra-Red paint job?




Circling the wagons.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/jqB9zu.jpg
johnstraub




https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/ztNze3.jpg

Miss Polished Knob


You can see all of the photographs HERE

I BELIEVE SOME OF THE PICS ARE NLA REPEATS.

ethereal_reality May 11, 2018 10:59 PM

1970S AERIAL CENTURY CITY CALIFORNIA

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/OQoOxh.jpg
EBAY

The Century Plaza Hotel is hiding...but it's there.

__

ethereal_reality May 11, 2018 11:02 PM

1970S AERIAL BIXBY SLOUGH AREA

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/QxP62W.jpg
EBAY





Does anyone know what this street is?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/w2zzMv.jpg
detail






and here's the intersection at lower left.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/jCSG8N.jpg
detail

Looks like more gas stations.


___

HossC May 11, 2018 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8185352)

1970S AERIAL BIXBY SLOUGH AREA

Does anyone know what this street is?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/w2zzMv.jpg
detail

The picture is looking west and the street across the center is S Vermont Avenue, with PCH just showing at the left. I'm not sure if the white building survives, but it might be the New Life Foursquare Church at 25420 S Vermont Avenue, Harbor City. The area in front S Vermont has now been filled with housing, and the houses behind have been replaced.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...xbySlough1.jpg
Google Maps

odinthor May 12, 2018 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8185352)
1970S AERIAL BIXBY SLOUGH AREA

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/QxP62W.jpg
EBAY

[...]

___

A hasty search makes me think I haven't previously posted this pic I took at Bixby Slough around 1983 when poking through the underbush. Is it noirish enough for NLA, e_r? ;)

https://s26.postimg.cc/icl1xzgi1/Bixby_L.jpg
odinthor collection, ladies' clothing division

BDiH May 12, 2018 5:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 8185165)
While there's lots of photos of Robert's Drive-Ins, I can't seem to locate the one here on Sunset between Cahuenga and Ivar.

Martin Turnbull had posted this page from a menu that has a drawing of some Robert's locations, including the one in question:

https://i1.wp.com/www.martinturnbull...07/roberts.jpg
_______

There is a photo of the Robert's in question in the rotator on this site.

http://forum.theblackdahliainhollywood.com/index.php

Keep clicking until it shows up. Sorry, I do not know how to upload photos here.

ScottyB May 12, 2018 6:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8185304)
Believe it or not, this is Mueller Bros. as well.


Did it really have a CONTROL TOWER? :shrug:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/Ewk2Af.jpg
johnstraub

In 1951 the Muller Bros., an Oldsmobile-Firestone Tire-Car Wash-Cafe-Body Shop-Home Appliance-Auto Supply Dealer located at Sunset and Ivar in L.A., named their complex
"The Landing." With good reason, they had everything you could want on one lot. It was giant compared to most new and used car dealers of the time, even had a control tower.
They came up with the idea to hold a beauty contest to celebrate the 3,000,000th car to be pulled through its car wash."



Your post reminded me of these pics I came across a while back......there's something about cars and gals that proves timelessly irresistible to marketers.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/973/2...e3faafdf_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/968/2...fabeac79_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/829/2...8bc99270_b.jpg

"you ladies are in a lot of trouble......"
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/943/2...17921eb1_b.jpg


Anyone have any info on those roadsters? They're amazing.

I'll wait to post the location in case anybody wants to demonstrate their skill!
:yes:

(my apologies for not remembering where I found these)

HossC May 12, 2018 9:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDiH (Post 8185632)

There is a photo of the Robert's in question in the rotator on this site.

http://forum.theblackdahliainhollywood.com/index.php

Keep clicking until it shows up. Sorry, I do not know how to upload photos here.

It took me a while to find it (the image rotation appears to be random), but here's the photo of the Roberts Brothers drive-in on Sunset. NB. I've enlarged the original.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...rtsSunset1.jpg
forum.theblackdahliainhollywood.com

HossC May 12, 2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyB (Post 8185635)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/829/2...8bc99270_b.jpg

Anyone have any info on those roadsters? They're amazing.

I'll wait to post the location in case anybody wants to demonstrate their skill!

I found this info about the cars (and location) accompanying the same photos on theoldmotor.com:
Guy Bryan first opened a tire store in a warehouse at 722 Aliso Street in Monterey Park, California in 1933. A year later he started this “Tire Bargain Center” at West Pico Boulevard and South Figueroa Street in Los Angeles. Bryan apparently knew the secrets of success for promoting a new business that included: lots of good signage, racing cars, models, and good photos for his advertisements.

Bryan either sponsored or rented a pair of midget racing cars powered by Elto outboard engines for the opening. The cars most likely ran at the new Gilmore Stadium track in Los Angeles that also opened in 1934. The little cars, laden with chrome plating including the frames, can be seen in the store front photo, strategically placed to catch motorist’s eyes on both sides of the street corner.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyB (Post 8185635)

(my apologies for not remembering where I found these)

I don't know where you found the images, but the original Dick Whittington Studio photos can be found in the USC Digital Library.

Is it just me, or do these girls looked "tired"? ;)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/968/2...fabeac79_b.jpg

Martin Pal May 12, 2018 7:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 8185674)
Is it just me, or do these girls looked "tired"? ;)
___________________________________________________________________

LOL!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 8185669)
It took me a while to find it (the image rotation appears to be random), but here's the photo of the Roberts Brothers drive-in on Sunset. NB. I've enlarged the original.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...rtsSunset1.jpg
forum.theblackdahliainhollywood.com
_________________________________________________________________


Thanks for finding this Robert's Drive-In photo HossC and BDiH!
(By the way, it doesn't really match the image of the menu drawing, IMO, but it is definitely the right location.)


Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 8185165)
NoirCityDame posted a history of the corner:

Roberts leased this property in 1939, demolishing an existing building that had been something called the Hollywood Mercantile in the 1890's; since 1917 it had housed the Frank Meline-owned Hollywood Laundry. When Roberts came along, HL moved to the north, taking its roof-sign with it. Between 1952 and Nov. 1956 became “Scrivner’s.” And some time in or around 1958 it became a gas station. Jack in the Box now occupies this property. Its Sunset address is 6407.
• 1890's Hollywood Mercantile
• 1917 Hollywood Laundry (owned by Frank Meline) buys this lot.
• 1939 Roberts Bros. lease the corner; builds its drive-in. Hollywood Laundry moves to the north
• 1952 The drive-in becomes Scrivner’s
• 1960 Drive-in is demolished for a service station (per building records)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=42366
_______

The "Dear Old Hollywood" Blogger was researching filming locations and wrote this:

"I found a great photo of the Hollywood location of Robert's Drive-In, in a book: Car Hops and Curb Service: A History of American Drive-In Restaurants 1920-1960." [By Jim Heimann.]

She did not post the photo of it, though.

http://dearoldhollywood.blogspot.com/20103
_________________________________________________________________


When I posted the above, I was going to include this photo from the Dear Old Hollywood link. It is Judy Garland working at Robert's Drive-In, in A Star is Born which started filming in the summer of 1953. Location filming had been noted as taking place at Sunset and Cahuenga. I didn't post it then because it was noted by NoirCityDame that it became Srivner's in 1952. But I re-read the paragraph above it which said "Between 1952 and Nov. 1956 became “Scrivner’s.” So it's likely that this was filmed in that location.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bOu8mm6oRn...co/s1000/1.JPGDear Old Hollywood

_______

SIDEBAR: Just yesterday I found out they have remade A Star is Born again! It is coming out October 8 and is directed by and stars Bradley Cooper alongside Lady Gaga as a country singer. (Some of it was filmed in Coachella.) Talk of a remake has been going on for a decade. Beyonce was most often attached to the project and last I heard it was to be with Russell Crowe. OPINION: My personal idea that if there's to be a remake of any film there should be at least ONE good reason. I cannot think of a good
reason this is being remade again. Why not explore the idea a bit differently...reverse the rising star, falling idol format, and have the man rise and woman fall? Why not a two men or two women relationship? This will be the third time that it's the "music" that's at the career center. Why not change the career out of the entertainment industry. How about the fashion world? Why not politics? :shrug:
_______

Now back to the Robert's Drive-In location. :) It's been noted that currently a Jack in the Box restaurant is on this site. In 2015, an article on Curbed Los Angeles headlined: "19-Story Hotel Planned for Hollywood Jack in the Box Site." There's little else to be found out about this online, but the Curbed article does say, "No timeline has been announced, but until 2019 Jack in the Box has a lease on the property."
_______

• 1917 Hollywood Laundry (owned by Frank Meline) buys this lot.
• 1939 Roberts Bros. lease the corner; builds its drive-in. Hollywood Laundry moves to the north

The above two items are of interest because I found these photos taken across the street from the Robert's location and you can clearly see Hollywood Laundry at that address.

First, I happened to notice this photo that was captioned: Outdoor bowling in Los Angeles in 1929.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AbImehj4Li...0/00081814.jpg


Then in the second photo I noticed the Muller Bros. sign in the background, which would make this bowling location between Ivar and Cahuenga.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AbImehj4Li...0/00081813.jpg

(The two photos were found on the Ellen Bloom blog, by way of LAPL.)


So, I went to LAPL and found these three additional photos which show the Hollywood Laundry Service Co. which NoirCityDame noted.

The first is looking north and you can also see the Knickerbocker Hotel and Hollywood Plaza along the skyline.

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00081/00081816.jpg
LAPL


The next two pictures are basically the same. The second one is clearer, but the first has more of the building across the street.

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00081/00081817.jpgLAPL


http://jpg1.lapl.org/00081/00081815.jpgLAPL

The name of the bowling place, unless it's part of another business around there, wasn't mentioned.

____________

I'm looking at the photograph with the bowling pins front and center and the Muller sign in the distance and
wondering if I might have my sense of direction in the other photos out of whack?

HossC May 12, 2018 10:35 PM

:previous:

Below, I've compared aerials from August 2, 1927 (left) and December 22, 1941 (right). So many familiar things are missing in the 1927 view, most notably NBC Studios and Carpenter's Drive-In at Sunset and Vine, Cahuenga Boulevard south of Sunset, and all of Ivar Avenue. On the 1941 view, I think that the shadow of the Muller Bros sign is next to the "S" of "Sunset". A couple of the bowling pictures appear to show the kink in Ivar, so I think that the bowling alley was between Ivar Avenue and Morningside Court.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...Comparison.jpg
mil.library.ucsb.edu/mil.library.ucsb.edu

ScottyB May 12, 2018 11:30 PM

curves
Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 8185674)


I don't know where you found the images, but the original Dick Whittington Studio photos can be found in the USC Digital Library.

Is it just me, or do these girls looked "tired"? ;)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/968/2...fabeac79_b.jpg

Thanks HossC! I think they could probably handle the curves......

CityBoyDoug May 12, 2018 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 8185998)

It seems that the eat in your car thing was a fad.

ethereal_reality May 13, 2018 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinthor (Post 8185438)

Is this noirish enough for NLA, e_r? ;)

https://s26.postimg.cc/icl1xzgi1/Bixby_L.jpg
odinthor collection, ladies' clothing division

I wonder if that poor lady ended up in the slough.

made me think of Night of the Hunter.

https://imageshack.com/a/img924/999/UUADv0.gif
GIPHY

poor shelly






I tried to find something noirish relating to Bixby Slough
but only found this item directing me to the newspaper site I DON'T BELONG TO.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/87kERv.jpg

anyone a member that could look this up for me? (aren't you a member GW?) HINT ;)

__

Martin Pal May 13, 2018 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 8186101)
:previous:

Below, I've compared aerials from August 2, 1927 (left) and December 22, 1941 (right). So many familiar things are missing in the 1927 view, most notably NBC Studios and Carpenter's Drive-In at Sunset and Vine, Cahuenga Boulevard south of Sunset, and all of Ivar Avenue. On the 1941 view, I think that the shadow of the Muller Bros sign is next to the "S" of "Sunset". A couple of the bowling pictures appear to show the kink in Ivar, so I think that the bowling alley was between Ivar Avenue and Morningside Court.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...Comparison.jpg
mil.library.ucsb.edu/mil.library.ucsb.edu

That's pretty interesting, HossC, thanks! I wouldn't have thought those streets were missing or partly missing. Now I wonder what the impetus was, not only to build Ivar up to Hollywood Blvd., but to have it angle off to the east like that. :shrug:

Cahuenga, south of what's on the 1941 aerial, also angles.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.