SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CAMDEN, NJ | Camden Waterfront Tower | 285 FT | 18 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218964)

TechTalkGuy Aug 30, 2016 12:31 PM

But I thought that Camden was being redeveloped by Liberty Property Trust to build a beautiful skyline to compliment Philadelphia in a way that Jersey City compliments Manhattan?

1487 Aug 30, 2016 1:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy (Post 7546062)
But I thought that Camden was being redeveloped by Liberty Property Trust to build a beautiful skyline to compliment Philadelphia in a way that Jersey City compliments Manhattan?

it was common knowledge that none of that was set in stone. Camden has a very small population and limited business community. It's no Jersey city. But at least there is some prospect of progress in the near future- even if it's limited to the waterfront.

jsbrook Aug 30, 2016 1:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy (Post 7546062)

No. Two towers were announced that now appear to have been down-sized. Maybe in due time Camden will get some real towers and a beautiful skyline. In the meantime, this is a good stepping stone but still disappointing.

Larry King Aug 30, 2016 1:50 PM

We're lucky anything at all is happening in camden, this is all due to major financial support from Trenton

Boku Aug 30, 2016 2:01 PM

http://i.imgur.com/4UiFEl6.png

McBane Aug 30, 2016 2:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammersklavier (Post 7545845)
It went from 2 sleek glass beauts -> 1 sleek glass beaut + 1 atrocious bunker -> 2 mediocre midrises. Overall average quality is going down, but it's nice the atrocious bunker is fixed as far as I can tell.

The original rendering showed two beautiful tall towers from Penns Landing. This one, the vantage point is the middle of the river. I guess if they tried to show these "towers" from Penns Landing, the buildings would be hardly visible. SMH

boxbot Aug 30, 2016 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philly-Drew (Post 7545853)
How funny that the rendering shows a sail ship, with no open sails! Haha!

Camden's official crest is a sailboat with no sail.

Frontst17 Aug 30, 2016 5:23 PM

Obviously disappointing but I disagree they'll still look quite large. Taking these lots out will drastically change the feel of downtown Camden. Not the most urban project but damn, still very exciting times for the city and south Jersey area

boxbot Aug 30, 2016 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frontst17 (Post 7546398)
Obviously disappointing but I disagree they'll still look quite large. Taking these lots out will drastically change the feel of downtown Camden. Not the most urban project but damn, still very exciting times for the city and south Jersey area

By the time they're done downgrading and right sizing it will be a strip mall.

hammersklavier Aug 30, 2016 7:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxbot (Post 7546459)
By the time they're done downgrading and right sizing it will be a parking lot.

ftfy

boxbot Aug 30, 2016 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammersklavier (Post 7546601)
ftfy

Which would still dwarf the SLS a/k/a Dranoff hole

Yurkek Aug 30, 2016 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxbot (Post 7546459)
By the time they're done downgrading and right sizing it will be a strip mall.

Next it is going to be a strip mall, after that they will finally downsize them to four single family houses.

Knight Hospitaller Aug 30, 2016 8:53 PM

Can't wait to ride the aerial cable car there.

Insoluble Aug 31, 2016 6:15 PM

I'm super disappointed by this redesign too, but the original renderings did seem pretty extraordinary for this area. Not that I don't think Camden is capable of supporting something spectacular like that eventually, but it probably needs some buildup of developments like the current form of the proposal first. This current incarnation seems more like it could actually get done. Grander designs will come eventually, it's not like there's a scarcity of room for them along the waterfront and downtown in Camden.

Parkway Aug 31, 2016 6:39 PM

Like I said on the last page, site prep will start on Tuesday or shortly thereafter.

Right now Camden needs any development it can get. This project will help push that area towards a critical mass of jobs, retail, and apartments. Once that has been achieved people may start considering Camden as a real alternative to Center City.

Larry King Aug 31, 2016 6:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parkway (Post 7547811)
Like I said on the last page, site prep will start on Tuesday or shortly thereafter.

Right now Camden needs any development it can get. This project will help push that area towards a critical mass of jobs, retail, and apartments. Once that has been achieved people may start considering Camden as a real alternative to Center City.

So much empty land south of downtown, west of 676. That whole area is poised for big residential gentrification in the coming years. The infrastructure is there.

Yurkek Aug 31, 2016 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry King (Post 7547819)
So much empty land south of downtown, west of 676. That whole area is poised for big residential gentrification in the coming years. The infrastructure is there.

Once they complete these buildings and they all rent out I believe the change will come. It looks like investors aren't confident that a lot of people what to actually live there.

Parkway Aug 31, 2016 7:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yurkek (Post 7547841)
Once they complete these buildings and they all rent out I believe the change will come. It looks like investors aren't confident that a lot of people what to actually live there.

Without proximity to jobs or amenities people have no reason to live there outside of situations like mine. Hopefully this development will bring in enough people on a daily basis to support additional bars and restaurants. That in turn, could start a cycle where more people will view it as a viable option.

C. Aug 31, 2016 8:01 PM

I'm skeptical this will happen. It keeps getting downsized. Don't get me wrong, it will be EXCELLENT for the area, if it happens. Not sure it will anytime soon. Who's doing the construction financing?

Larry King Aug 31, 2016 8:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CIA (Post 7547946)
I'm skeptical this will happen. It keeps getting downsized. Don't get me wrong, it will be EXCELLENT for the area, if it happens. Not sure it will anytime soon. Who's doing the construction financing?

The state is paying for it, it's happening.