SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Proposals (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | 735 S. Columbus | 244 FT | 22 FLOORS (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=201072)

summersm343 Aug 22, 2012 6:46 AM

PHILADELPHIA | 735 S. Columbus | 244 FT | 22 FLOORS
 
Title: 735 S. Columbus
Project: luxury apartments, retail
Architect: Digsau
Developer: Ensemble Real Estate
Location: 735 S. Columbus Blvd., Philadelphia, PA
Floors: 22
Height: 244 ft

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4700/...5a987dcf_o.jpg
dixon-337742-e-wp-content-uploads-2018-01-992203_22259de66596207 by Mr. Summers, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4715/...720663b1_o.jpg
dixon-337742-f-wp-content-uploads-2018-01-992207_f6caa80970fc191-e1516381937553-1200x801 by Mr. Summers, on Flickr

22-story apartment tower planned on Delaware River Pier 34/35

Quote:

Ensemble Investments LLC of Phoenix is proposing a 308-unit apartment tower with a half-acre public plaza on a blighted property on Delaware River piers that was the site of a deadly nightclub collapse in 2000.

Under the plan being presented to Philadelphia community groups ahead of its formal application for zoning approvals, the Pier 34/35 South apartment building would rise 22 stories, Mark Sanderson, a principal with Digsau, the project’s architect, said in an email this week.

The site plan places the tower on the partially submerged Pier 34 at 735 S. Christopher Columbus Blvd. near Fitzwater Street, just south of the Residences at Dockside condominium building. It would have about 100 parking spaces in a garage behind the building, the minimum allowed under the area’s zoning, though more spots could be set aside for residents at a public lot across the street, Sanderson said.

The adjacent Pier 35, now completely underwater during high tides, would be restored and landscaped into a public space inspired by Spruce Harbor Park, a summertime attraction with hammocks and food stalls farther up the waterfront at Penn’s Landing, he said. It also would have a 5,000-square-foot retail structure at its base, facing South Columbus Boulevard.

Under its current design, the tower would stand 244 feet, the maximum permitted on the central Philadelphia’s waterfront for projects making the most of available “bonuses” that let developers add height in exchange for including features seen as benefiting the larger community, he said. The project will get most of the way to that height through bonuses offered for public space, bike paths and retail.

Ensemble acquired the two-pier parcel in 2007, seven years after three women died at the site when a nightclub then on the property collapsed into the river.

The company is also developer of the Courtyard by Marriott hotel in the South Philadelphia Navy Yard.
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180119.html

summersm343 Sep 19, 2012 1:59 AM

This has been approved by the Planning Commission

Quote:

A plan of development for a 209-unit residential development at Piers 34 and 35 was approved by the Philadelphia City Planning Commission Tuesday, after the developer amended the plan with an expanded public walkway to the riverfront and larger space for ground-level retail.
http://planphilly.com/public-path-ri...iers-34-and-35

summersm343 Jun 9, 2015 1:07 AM

Slightly updated renderings from Cope Linder. Not sure if this project is still happening.


http://www.cope-linder.com/uploads/d...76d3_thumb.jpg

http://www.cope-linder.com/uploads/d...2421_thumb.jpg

http://www.cope-linder.com/uploads/d...e149_thumb.jpg

http://www.cope-linder.com/project/c...-multifamily/5

1487 Jun 9, 2015 12:31 PM

Never even heard of this one. Very little that is proposed by the river ever seems to happen. 1 Water St being the exception of course.

thisisforreal Jun 9, 2015 12:40 PM

3-bedroom units! How novel. I wonder what demographic research shows for that part of town that would have them deviate from the "norm".

br323206 Jun 9, 2015 1:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisforreal (Post 7055697)
3-bedroom units! How novel. I wonder what demographic research shows for that part of town that would have them deviate from the "norm".

The waterfront has attracted an older, more "suburban" clientele so it would make sense that they would include 3 bedroom units.

jsbrook Jun 9, 2015 2:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisforreal (Post 7055697)
3-bedroom units! How novel. I wonder what demographic research shows for that part of town that would have them deviate from the "norm".

I think it's becoming the "new norm." Or a portion of the new norm. 2400 Market too. Also the renovation of the Atlantic building at Broad and Spruce.

http://1401spruce.com/

See floorplan and gallery. Allegedly due for comletion around September. With more boomers and older people with money funneling into the city, the city and developers wants to appeal to a demographic that wants to avail themselves of city living but has gotten used to a lot of space. Both owners and renters.

summersm343 Jan 27, 2017 7:15 PM

No new information here. We'll close this thread for now.

summersm343 Jan 20, 2018 2:28 AM

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4700/...5a987dcf_o.jpg
dixon-337742-e-wp-content-uploads-2018-01-992203_22259de66596207 by Mr. Summers, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4715/...720663b1_o.jpg
dixon-337742-f-wp-content-uploads-2018-01-992207_f6caa80970fc191-e1516381937553-1200x801 by Mr. Summers, on Flickr

22-story apartment tower planned on Delaware River Pier 34/35

Quote:

Ensemble Investments LLC of Phoenix is proposing a 308-unit apartment tower with a half-acre public plaza on a blighted property on Delaware River piers that was the site of a deadly nightclub collapse in 2000.

Under the plan being presented to Philadelphia community groups ahead of its formal application for zoning approvals, the Pier 34/35 South apartment building would rise 22 stories, Mark Sanderson, a principal with Digsau, the project’s architect, said in an email this week.

The site plan places the tower on the partially submerged Pier 34 at 735 S. Christopher Columbus Blvd. near Fitzwater Street, just south of the Residences at Dockside condominium building. It would have about 100 parking spaces in a garage behind the building, the minimum allowed under the area’s zoning, though more spots could be set aside for residents at a public lot across the street, Sanderson said.

The adjacent Pier 35, now completely underwater during high tides, would be restored and landscaped into a public space inspired by Spruce Harbor Park, a summertime attraction with hammocks and food stalls farther up the waterfront at Penn’s Landing, he said. It also would have a 5,000-square-foot retail structure at its base, facing South Columbus Boulevard.

Under its current design, the tower would stand 244 feet, the maximum permitted on the central Philadelphia’s waterfront for projects making the most of available “bonuses” that let developers add height in exchange for including features seen as benefiting the larger community, he said. The project will get most of the way to that height through bonuses offered for public space, bike paths and retail.

Ensemble acquired the two-pier parcel in 2007, seven years after three women died at the site when a nightclub then on the property collapsed into the river.

The company is also developer of the Courtyard by Marriott hotel in the South Philadelphia Navy Yard.
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180119.html

boxbot Jan 20, 2018 4:56 AM

https://media0.giphy.com/media/aBl6GL8agIuI0/source.gif

Mr Saturn64 Jan 20, 2018 5:16 AM

So... no word for 3 years, and it suddenly pops back up again?

Groundhog Jan 20, 2018 1:45 PM

I'm starting to see a trend over here, anyone else see it?

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4757/...e1380b9a_b.jpg

Plokoon11 Jan 20, 2018 1:57 PM

NO! Away with that jinx!

jsbrook Jan 20, 2018 6:44 PM

I'm fine with this project. Columbus Boulevard is a shithole. Couldn't they modify the driveway and incorporate a retail addition in the future is Columbus improves?

Hudson11 Jan 20, 2018 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plokoon11 (Post 8054100)
NO! Away with that jinx!

as a New Yorker, SKOL!

Jawnadelphia Jan 21, 2018 2:32 PM

^Lame, Hudson.

I'm totally fine with this proposal at this time. In the future, we'll demand more.

At some point Del Ave/Columbus Blvd will be lined with high rises from here up to SugarHouse Casino. If the partial capping of I-95 turns out to be anything like a mini-Millennium Park in Chicago -- I'm sure high-rise development increases exponentially here. (a light rail service would also do it! with an express to the stadiums! but that's pie in the sky stuff).

jsbrook Jan 21, 2018 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallCoolOne (Post 8054935)
^Lame, Hudson.

I'm totally fine with this proposal at this time. In the future, we'll demand more.

At some point Del Ave/Columbus Blvd will be lined with high rises from here up to SugarHouse Casino. If the partial capping of I-95 turns out to be anything like a mini-Millennium Park in Chicago -- I'm sure high-rise development increases exponentially here. (a light rail service would also do it! with an express to the stadiums! but that's pie in the sky stuff).

Obviously the funding needs to be there (so a longterm dream or pipe dream), but I'd like to see the Park cap extended over I-95 and Columbus to Dock Street on the one side and Arch on the other. Can be a mixture of additional park and buildings that sit atop. Then North of Arch, Columbus would not be capped, but the 2011 Master Plan would be implemented, which is supposed to look like the picture in this article: http://www.philly.com/philly/columni...-20171214.html At least back South to Washington as well.

Larry King Jan 21, 2018 9:50 PM

This is a pretty cool proposal. I’d like to see all of Columbus lined with high rises like this.

Larry King Jan 21, 2018 9:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbrook (Post 8054300)
I'm fine with this project. Columbus Boulevard is a shithole. Couldn't they modify the driveway and incorporate a retail addition in the future is Columbus improves?

Yeah I’d like to see some retail too, even if it’s just one space it would make a big difference. I’m sure between there and dockside they could support a coffee shop or something like that.

El Duderino Jan 21, 2018 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry King (Post 8055347)
Yeah I’d like to see some retail too, even if it’s just one space it would make a big difference. I’m sure between there and dockside they could support a coffee shop or something like that.

As the article directly states, there will be 5,000 sq ft fronting Columbus as part of the amenity space.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.