SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | BMO Tower | 727 FT | 50 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=224752)

ithakas May 25, 2017 2:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1052 (Post 7814882)
I don't outright hate the towers/plaza on the parking structure parcel but jesus christ on the towers sprouting from the head house.

Yeah, they're not doing the head house any favors by trying to blend the addition in with the same color cladding. They should go with a black cladding like Adjmi's Gateway tower if this is the design.

I don't really like the office towers at all – just feels like an anonymous block of Franklin or Wacker.

But I really like that they're incorporating a significant amount of residential/hotel, despite the shortcomings of the designs.

MayorOfChicago May 25, 2017 2:30 PM

If ANYTHING, I wish they would tie an underground walkway from Union straight into the Clinton blue line mezz level.

Via Chicago May 25, 2017 2:33 PM

this is hot garbage.

the insult to injury is NEITHER the great hall, nor the other proposals are attractive in the least. actually, i think im most mad about the half assed attempt at the head house even more. this is actually going to detract from its beauty rather than enhance it in any way. and it looks so obviously tacked on as an afterthought.

Randomguy34 May 25, 2017 2:49 PM

"A high-rise above Union Station is an excellent idea"

Expectation:
http://i.imgur.com/opAqMFP.jpg

Reality:
https://assets.dnainfo.com/photo/201...extralarge.png

Jim in Chicago May 25, 2017 2:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 7814630)
https://s29.postimg.org/zbdxwpcc7/image.png

In its current state (which I'm sure could change drastically over time), I say this is junk. Not only are they throwing a suburban office tower-looking addition on top of Union Station, but the new towers also look pretty lacking.

Worse than junk, this is completely disrespectful to the existing building. How could this ever have happened!!

I have no problem with the program, the execution is my issue.

KWILLSKYLINE May 25, 2017 2:57 PM

I hope everyone involved with this project are reading these comments and head back to the drawing tables. The more I look at these pictures the more pissed off I get. What a terrible waste of prime land with the parking structure replacement.

F1 Tommy May 25, 2017 2:59 PM

What a joke....This is the best design they could come up with??? Taking value engineering to a whole new level. Compared to some of the other stuff going up in Chicago and especially in NYC this is about as aesthetically pleasing as a dog turd:(

Jim in Chicago May 25, 2017 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE (Post 7814929)
I hope everyone involved with this project are reading these comments and head back to the drawing tables. The more I look at these pictures the more pissed off I get. What a terrible waste of prime land with the parking structure replacement.

This is the commercial version of the bungalows you see all over town where they sliced the roof of a brink bungalow and plopped a completely non-compatible stucco box on top to make a second story.

F1 Tommy May 25, 2017 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE (Post 7814929)
I hope everyone involved with this project are reading these comments and head back to the drawing tables. The more I look at these pictures the more pissed off I get. What a terrible waste of prime land with the parking structure replacement.

They don't give a crap what anybody thinks other than the Feds and the mayor. Pick the winner and design based 100% on price and what they will pay without obviously even looking at the design concepts(or the people who choose have zero taste).

We are really on a roll in Chicago with bad designs compared to NYC wich is becoming much more innovative. Then you leave the USA and you see even more innovation. Wanda and a few others are great, but in general Chicago deserves better.

BuildThemTaller May 25, 2017 3:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1 Tommy (Post 7814956)
They don't give a crap what anybody thinks other than the Feds and the mayor. Pick the winner and design based 100% on price and what they will pay without obviously even looking at the design concepts(or the people who choose have zero taste).

We are really on a roll in Chicago with bad designs compared to NYC wich is becoming much more innovative. Then you leave the USA and you see even more innovation. Wanda and a few others are great, but in general Chicago deserves better.

I think we should calm down a tad bit. First, Riverside development has delivered what most consider an excellent addition at 150 N Riverside. Their proposal at 100 N Wacker has also been lauded by most on here. Both deliver excellent public spaces and innovative or at least interesting designs. What we're seeing here is a first attempt.

There are legitimate criticisms of this proposal, but that's all it is for now, a proposal. The city just dumped millions into a transit center that this proposal seems all too happy to pretend doesn't exist. I assume that the city will push back on that decision. Who knows, maybe Riverside Development and Goettsch Partners will respond to limits to development space imposed by the city and Amtrak by going taller. Dropping that much money on a development only pays off if you can bring the rentable space to the market, after all.

This is a $1 Billion proposal over 3 years that probably will go through several iterations before it becomes reality. To me, it's just like Wolf Point. What we see at first is not what we'll get. Hopefully, it will be much better.

UPChicago May 25, 2017 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller (Post 7814976)
This is a $1 Billion proposal over 3 years that probably will go through several iterations before it becomes reality. To me, it's just like Wolf Point. What we see at first is not what we'll get.

This isn't something that gives me much comfort.

HomrQT May 25, 2017 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 7814630)
https://s29.postimg.org/zbdxwpcc7/image.png

In its current state (which I'm sure could change drastically over time), I say this is junk. Not only are they throwing a suburban office tower-looking addition on top of Union Station, but the new towers also look pretty lacking.

What the fuck are these bastards trying to do to Union Station!?!?
:hell::hell::hell::hell::hell::hell::hell::hell::hell::hell::hell::hell::hell::hell:

Busy Bee May 25, 2017 3:48 PM

They didn't even bother to organize the facade and windows to have any sort of logical relationship with the station below. Unbelievable.

Fuck it, it doesn't bother me all that much what is proposed on the lot next door. No supertall, a little dull, whatever. But the addition to the station. Just NO. Give a job like this to Norman Foster...

Notyrview May 25, 2017 5:06 PM

It's so cool to see Oklahoma City getting a makeover

UrbanLibertine May 25, 2017 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller (Post 7814976)
I think we should calm down a tad bit. First, Riverside development has delivered what most consider an excellent addition at 150 N Riverside. Their proposal at 100 N Wacker has also been lauded by most on here. Both deliver excellent public spaces and innovative or at least interesting designs. What we're seeing here is a first attempt.

There are legitimate criticisms of this proposal, but that's all it is for now, a proposal. The city just dumped millions into a transit center that this proposal seems all too happy to pretend doesn't exist. I assume that the city will push back on that decision. Who knows, maybe Riverside Development and Goettsch Partners will respond to limits to development space imposed by the city and Amtrak by going taller. Dropping that much money on a development only pays off if you can bring the rentable space to the market, after all.

This is a $1 Billion proposal over 3 years that probably will go through several iterations before it becomes reality. To me, it's just like Wolf Point. What we see at first is not what we'll get. Hopefully, it will be much better.

This!

Mister Uptempo May 25, 2017 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine (Post 7815107)
This!

The Transit Center stays right where it is. Looks like they are decking over it. Just disappointed that they were considering expanding the Transit Center, to get more buses (like Van Galder) off the streets entirely when picking up/dropping off passengers, and that seems to have been dropped.

http://i.imgur.com/nSFqT6P.jpg
src - dnainfo.com

http://i.imgur.com/A59FGQK.jpg
src - amtrak.com

Ned.B May 25, 2017 5:40 PM

I would like to point out that this was not a design competition, but rather a developer proposal, and each developer came to the table with their own architect. The elements shown in the renderings here are purely massing studies to determine a developer pro-forma, and the developer was selected based upon their offer price and their ability to work with the complex train operations going on below these 3 sites. The large portion of design has yet to be done, and everything shown here is subject to change. I can say with confidence that no more than a few weeks of design work has gone into what is presented here.

aaron38 May 25, 2017 5:46 PM

What we see with Parcel 2 has some interesting features, the rising terraces are cool in the renderings. But are likely to be empty and sterile in reality. Maybe I'm wrong.

But the headhouse towers are just going to be River North beige schlock. "They're high enough up that no one can tell", the developer will say.

aaron38 May 25, 2017 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomguy34 (Post 7814917)
"A high-rise above Union Station is an excellent idea"
Expectation:
http://i.imgur.com/opAqMFP.jpg

Even in 2017 that still looks great, but no one will ever build that way again. I don't think anyone could build that if they tried.

Kumdogmillionaire May 25, 2017 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjp (Post 7814879)
so are they just tearing down the new transit center / bus terminal they built on Jackson across from Union Station?

Looks like they are adding to it in the design by building a solid structure for it, but yeah, they are basically scrapping it


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.