SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Millie on Michigan/CitizenM (300 N Michigan Ave) | 523 ft | 47 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240138)

BonoboZill4 Sep 24, 2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111 (Post 8696842)
Depending on pricing and marketing there could be also tens of millions more in profit too with a larger building...acting like this location would be so far fetched and taking such a crazy risk at a taller building than what's gonna be built currently is pretty close minded... this isn't the south loop ...its a pretty prime location.

A project that large would need massive zoning changes on what is already the most densely developed lot in the City. Big doubt anything bigger than what we're getting would get approval

And yeah, all the groaning going on about how we aren't building big is very silly as Steely pointed out

chicubs111 Sep 25, 2019 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8697207)
A project that large would need massive zoning changes on what is already the most densely developed lot in the City. Big doubt anything bigger than what we're getting would get approval

And yeah, all the groaning going on about how we aren't building big is very silly as Steely pointed out

A project how large?..nobody said anything about putting 1000 plus ft building here...im just saying something a few hundred feet taller than whats proposed...if that's considered a "massive" zoning change then lets hope your never an alderman in 42nd ward..(or perhaps you are...:haha: ...jk).... anywhoo...moving on from this

Ned.B Sep 25, 2019 2:58 PM

^Yeah, it's rarely as simple as the market and the site demands it, so they should build them taller. There's also economic and functional implications to height. Based on my approximation, this will be a pretty slender tower at only about 80'x100' judging by the size of the site. A tower that is 50% taller will require more elevators or faster, more expensive elevators. It requires beefier structure, which would eat into the small floor plates. You can say that downtown there should be no parking requirements, but there may be issues leasing at the type of rates that top of 800 ft tall towers demand without a certain amount of parking spaces available somewhere.

Then as Bonobp pointed out, the site is currently zoned DX-16. The project per my rough calculations may be using as much as 26 FAR unless they are borrowing from some of the neighbors. That's already pretty high. To get that floor bonus of 10, the developer has to pay the city 80% of the market cost of every square foot that they add to the project. Pushing that to 39 FAR for an 800' tower may only not get Alderman and City approval, but it will be significantly more expensive for those added floors.

BonoboZill4 Sep 25, 2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111 (Post 8697659)
A project how large?

The size you were suggesting would require zoning changes and the area is already a nightmare for traffic. I'm not saying I don't want something big there, I'm just explaining that it's not as easy as the developer saying, "oh yeah, I'll just spend another 200 million and make this 850 feet tall".

I supposed I could have been more specific but Ned covered my bases

harryc Sep 28, 2019 2:02 AM

300 N Michigan - Demo

Sept 18

Sept 25

the urban politician Sep 29, 2019 3:16 PM

I realize that some of you want something taller but I’m salivating to see this start.

Mich Ave south of the river is just epic....and getting more so

bhawk66 Sep 30, 2019 3:29 PM

The "taller" freaks need their own planet.

The Smurfit building is one of the biggest gems in the city of Chicago. Too bad it wasn't 800' taller. C'mon man. Give your balls a tug.

Chi-Sky21 Sep 30, 2019 5:27 PM

I actually think it is right sized. It holds that corner and pulls everything together perfectly . I think if it was way taller it would not have the same affect.

ThirdCoaster Sep 30, 2019 5:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 8702542)
I actually think it is right sized. It holds that corner and pulls everything together perfectly . I think if it was way taller it would not have the same affect.

Agreed. This is a great height. If it was taller it would distract from C&C too much and might block Vista/Aqua (when seen from the riverwak).

WPS, OTOH, should have been taller....

nomarandlee Sep 30, 2019 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdCoaster (Post 8702558)
Agreed. This is a great height. If it was taller it would distract from C&C too much and might block Vista/Aqua (when seen from the riverwak).

WPS, OTOH, should have been taller....

Even more so regarding River Point IMO. Perhaps the only two locations that I'd get hung on height about in the city and each will end up about 100-200 shorter than they ought.

bhawk66 Sep 30, 2019 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 8702542)

I was jesting. It's the perfect size.

SolarWind Oct 2, 2019 2:07 AM

October 1, 2019

BonoboZill4 Oct 3, 2019 1:25 AM

Now that's a beautiful sight... one less under/un-utilized space in the city

simon07 Oct 3, 2019 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8705576)
Now that's a beautiful sight... one less under/un-utilized space in the city

Could of easily been restored into a beautiful building. You are not supposed to tear down buildings like this; at least do a facadectomy.

RedCorsair87 Oct 3, 2019 6:24 PM

^Agree 100%!

dan ryan Oct 3, 2019 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 (Post 8706195)
^Agree 100%!

Same!

Handro Oct 3, 2019 7:56 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8869...7i13312!8i6656

What facade?

BonoboZill4 Oct 4, 2019 1:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simon07 (Post 8706154)
Could of easily been restored into a beautiful building. You are not supposed to tear down buildings like this; at least do a facadectomy.

That's gonna be a hard disagree from me on all fronts. The first floor of the building made it irredeemable

kolchak Oct 4, 2019 1:45 AM

I have to agree with Bonobo here. That corner will benefit from this tower which replaces a rather unremarkable albeit old building. it’s going to significantly liven the block.

HomrQT Oct 4, 2019 1:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8706622)
That's gonna be a hard disagree from me on all fronts. The first floor of the building made it irredeemable

Modifying the first floor exterior to be nicer would not have been difficult. Like others have said, I would love to have seen the original externals preserved and a new tower built inside of it.