SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   SAN ANTONIO | 300 Main | 32 FLOORS | 388 FEET | U/C (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244653)

sirkingwilliam Nov 10, 2020 12:07 AM

SAN ANTONIO | 300 Main | 32 FLOORS | 388 FEET | U/C

Thanks to [redacted] for giving me the inside on this project.

Quote:

"The project will include the construction of a 32-story apartment structure consisting of ground floor lobby and shell retail, parking garage (levels 2-6), and residential (351 units) with amenity spaces, as well as entry drives and associated site improvements."
It’s expected to break ground in the second quarter of 2021.

[Redacted]

kingkirbythe.... Nov 10, 2020 12:27 AM

This‘ll be nice for downtown SA.

Tornado Nov 10, 2020 12:29 AM

Love it, thank you sharing. Is this a Weston Urban development? This one will be just a tad below the Weston Centre which is 444'.

jaga185 Nov 10, 2020 12:52 AM

That is a perfect location for this one! I feel the dark coloring will be another nice offset to the brown and beige. Also! I love that there is retail at the bottom. More residences in this area will definitely help.

I am hoping that the lot directly south will be the site of a new tallest. A hotel, office, and apartment/condo building would be the way to go and get this started.

sirkingwilliam Nov 10, 2020 1:21 AM

Per Kenneth. This has already been awarded to a GC. This is happening.

Tornado Nov 10, 2020 1:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 9101717)
Per Kenneth. This has already been awarded to a GC. This is happening.

wonderful to hear. Any idea who the developer is behind this one?

kmack Nov 10, 2020 1:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 9101664)
Is this a Weston Urban development?

Tornado Nov 10, 2020 1:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmack (Post 9101739)
Yes it is.

Then we know the quality will be top notch. Excited to some more renderings at some point. Thx for sharing!

Keep-SA-Lame Nov 10, 2020 2:36 AM

Dang, out of left field! Feels more Austin than San Antonio, but that's a good thing (in moderation). West downtown is really exploding between SP Creek, UTSA and everything else. Makes me extra curious what Weston is going to do with the old Milam Building.

TSK18 Nov 10, 2020 3:30 AM

Really excited to see a major project again! Especially when it's near that magic 400' mark.

chancla Nov 10, 2020 4:25 AM

Yes!!!

JACKinBeantown Nov 10, 2020 12:10 PM

I love the height, the size, the street level, and the placement in the skyline. I can't say the same about the design. It looks like it got lifted out New York's upper east side in the mid 60s. Ugh, how boring and bland. Did it past the HDRC?

Bigfoot Yancey Nov 10, 2020 1:26 PM

That is great news!

I can get behind the design if it is all brick all the way to the top. Does anybody know if that is the case?

ahealy Nov 10, 2020 1:40 PM

Not a stunning design, but also pretty conservative and lovely! Get this baby up!

JACKinBeantown Nov 10, 2020 2:28 PM

Very rough. Thanks, Raul.

[redacted]

SAguy Nov 10, 2020 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown (Post 9102166)
Very rough. Thanks, Raul.

[redacted]

It definitely adds to the skyline.

texboy Nov 10, 2020 4:04 PM

This one appeared out of nowhere... great job SA! I can definitely get behind this design.

UrbanTrance Nov 10, 2020 4:35 PM

Not bad! Adds good height and street retail. Would like to see it built.

sirkingwilliam Nov 10, 2020 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanTrance (Post 9102340)
Not bad! Adds good height and street retail. Would like to see it built.

It is being built.

Tornado Nov 10, 2020 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 9102386)
It is being built.

do you know if this one has to go before HDRC or has that already happened and we just missed it?

ahealy Nov 10, 2020 5:23 PM

Love that render! Bring on the mass!

Spoiler Nov 10, 2020 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 9102391)
do you know if this one has to go before HDRC or has that already happened and we just missed it?

We haven't missed it. If it needs HDRC approval it will pass. It's a bit grim looking but there's nothing "wrong" with it (unless they have a problem with the color).

Tornado Nov 10, 2020 5:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoiler (Post 9102427)
We haven't missed it. If it needs HDRC approval it will pass. It's a bit grim looking but there's nothing "wrong" with it (unless they have a problem with the color).

It's a little dark but I love the change up. West downtown is getting ready to have its day in the sun. Let's hope there isn't anything that would slow the project down when they do the archeological study.

RobertS4 Nov 10, 2020 6:31 PM

Don't like the darkness to it but since there's a lot of glass it should look nice in the daytime. I feel that more and more we are getting more taller projects.

Echostatic Nov 10, 2020 7:28 PM

This looks great and would be a fantastic addition for y'alls downtown.

Dan In Real Life Nov 10, 2020 7:36 PM

This really came out of left field!

Love the design, love the location... not too thrilled with the color. Personally I would have hoped for something brighter that offsets all the dark and beige of downtown. The Frost Tower was a breath of fresh air and I was hopeful there would be more developments like it going forward.

That said, I'll definitely take this. It's a big positive for downtown. :tup:

AwesomeSAView Nov 10, 2020 9:19 PM

Great News!! Keep them coming!!:cheers::yes::tup:

Also there is an article in today's San Antonio business journal about the Thompson Hotel developer being bullish on developing in San Antonio rather than Austin where prices are sky high. He says another project is in the works, Could that be the Dream Hotel project???

If anyone can post that article? :cheers:

JACKinBeantown Nov 10, 2020 9:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView (Post 9102785)
Great News!! Keep them coming!!:cheers::yes::tup:

Also there is an article in today's San Antonio business journal about the Thompson Hotel developer being bullish on developing in San Antonio rather than Austin where prices are sky high. He says another project is in the works, Could that be the Dream Hotel project???

If anyone can post that article? :cheers:

This?

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...the-radar.html

Tornado Nov 10, 2020 9:25 PM

deleted article ----> moving to the thompson thread

AwesomeSAView Nov 10, 2020 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown (Post 9102790)

Exactly!

Thank you for posting!

texboy Nov 10, 2020 10:17 PM

From the article...

Quote:

He believes the demand for such projects in San Antonio will only increase, especially as more people take note of what's happening some 70 miles to the north.

Said Contreras, “Frankly, why would you go to Austin where it is a lot more expensive?”

Tornado Nov 10, 2020 10:23 PM

it's funny he said that because it was mentioned either in that article or another that they are planning on doing a development in Austin.

SAguy Nov 16, 2020 1:50 AM

Weston Urban plans 32-story apartment tower in downtown tech district

From San Antonio Heron

Weston Urban has submitted plans to the city to build a 32-story apartment tower with ground-floor retail a block from Geekdom and the Frost Tower.

The $107 million tower, 305 Soledad St., would include 351 apartment units, 7,250 square feet of retail space and a six-level parking garage with 456 spaces, according to the Planning Commission agenda for Wednesday’s meeting.

“We absolutely have exciting plans on Soledad, but all still extremely premature to comment on,” Weston Urban president Randy Smith said in a text message last week, before the agenda was posted.

The commission will vote on whether to adjust the property line on Soledad Street and abandon the city’s right-of-way on aerial space above North Main Avenue so that Weston Urban can build a cantilevered parking garage, which is a “necessary component” of the development.

Construction is expected to begin in mid-2021 and last for two years, the agenda says. The 0.87-acre building site is currently a parking lot.

It’s unclear how tall the tower will be, but at 32 stories, it would likely rise higher than the 24- story Frost Tower that Weston Urban completed last year. The only downtown buildings with more than 32 stories are Convention Center hotels: the San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter, with 38, and the Grand Hyatt San Antonio, with 34.

Weston Urban’s Weston Centre office building, a block east of the proposed tower, also has 32 stories.

The company’s executives have long said they wanted to build housing in west downtown, where they have worked closely with the city to create a busy urban district with a tech flavor centered around their Geekdom co-working space in the Rand building.

The proposed tower would be across the street from the 21-story historic Milam Building, which the company owns and intends to renovate.

In 2015, Weston Urban reached a deal with the city that gave rise to the new Frost Tower and made the company owner of several properties in the area, ranging from the stately Municipal Plaza Building where City Council meets to several run-down parking lots. The agreement required the company to build at least 265 housing units.

Since then, the company has frequently bought up property in west downtown, where the construction of the San Pedro Creek Culture Park and the University of Texas at San Antonio’s (UTSA) plans to expand its downtown campus are expected to draw in even more businesses and residents. Last year, for example it bought two low-rise office buildings at 601 and 800 Dolorosa, occupying a total of 2.7 acres, deed records show.

Another notable development the planned restoration of the Continental Hotel on West Commerce Street into house meant to complement UTSA’s expansion.

https://saheron.com/weston-urban-apa...er-on-soledad/

JACKinBeantown Nov 16, 2020 2:06 PM

The first rule of 305 Soledad is don't talk about 305 Soledad.

Tornado Nov 16, 2020 3:23 PM

haha. Since this one is out in the wild now, I guess we can bring back the old thread

jaga185 Nov 16, 2020 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown (Post 9107521)
The first rule of 305 Soledad is don't talk about 305 Soledad.

LOL that was my thought too

AwesomeSAView Nov 16, 2020 7:10 PM

An article in the San Antonio Business Journal has just appeared about this awesome project as well!!! This is exciting news!!!! :cheers::yes::tup:

Tornado Nov 20, 2020 6:50 PM

in case anyone was interested, looks like this one passed through planning commission for approval of adjustment of the property line.

jaga185 Nov 20, 2020 7:58 PM

Thanks for the update! I feel this will sail through. I don't see anything wrong with it.

GoldenBoot Nov 20, 2020 8:30 PM

Great news!

Renderings???

jaga185 Nov 20, 2020 9:59 PM

^^^ We aren't allowed to share them right now.

ILUVSAT Nov 20, 2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaga185 (Post 9112588)

Huh? Come on!

Hasn't this already gone before city governmental entities? I assume renderings were involved. If so, that should be public domain.

Geez. This is too exciting to keep in your back pocket. And, why make an announcement with no renderings? It's not like there is a lot of competition out there.

Tornado Nov 20, 2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaga185 (Post 9112588)

I just noticed that they aren't in the thread anymore. Yeah, guess we will see them once they go in front of HDRC. Let's be real, their approval is mere formality, i don't anticipate there would be any major pushback. That said, the building could use a few design enhancements and a little more height to pop it over 400' would be great.

jaga185 Nov 20, 2020 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 9112650)
I just noticed that they aren't in the thread anymore. Yeah, guess we will see them once they go in front of HDRC. Let's be real, their approval is mere formality, i don't anticipate there would be any major pushback. That said, the building could use a few design enhancements and a little more height to pop it over 400' would be great.

Email them with a petition for a spire. haha

sirkingwilliam Nov 21, 2020 12:43 AM

All I can say is the renderings were removed at the request of the developer and also, those were not the final renderings. There will be changes to the design before it is presented to the HDRC.

Tornado Nov 21, 2020 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 9112781)
All I can say is the renderings were removed at the request of the developer and also, those were not the final renderings. There will be changes to the design before it is presented to the HDRC.

I assumed they weren't final so I'm excited to see the updated design. Any hunches on when this one will hit HDRC? THeir next next planned meetings are 12/2, 12/16, 1/20, 2/3.

KevinFromTexas Nov 21, 2020 2:10 AM

I haven't seen the renderings, yet, through public channels - meaning, through the city, but hopefully, that changes soon. Then it's game on for posting them. I'm also hoping we get to see the elevations to have good info on the heights. There's a chance it might even be taller than 393 feet. The reason I say that is building heights that are submitted to the city, at least in Austin anyway, tend to omit mechanical penthouses because mechanical penthouses are exempt from height variances. So the stated height sometimes is only to the main roof. If that's the case, then it would almost be guaranteed to be a 400 footer. The Thompson Hotel & Residences ended up being much taller than we thought because of that reason. I remember the first height we were hearing was 273 feet with 19 floors, but as soon as we saw the elevations, they showed it as 314 feet with 20 floors. I don't know that the increase would be that much with this building, but it would probably be enough to put it over 400 feet by a few feet.

Tornado Nov 21, 2020 3:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 9112852)
I haven't seen the renderings, yet, through public channels - meaning, through the city, but hopefully, that changes soon. Then it's game on for posting them. I'm also hoping we get to see the elevations to have good info on the heights. There's a chance it might even be taller than 393 feet. The reason I say that is building heights that are submitted to the city, at least in Austin anyway, tend to omit mechanical penthouses because mechanical penthouses are exempt from height variances. So the stated height sometimes is only to the main roof. If that's the case, then it would almost be guaranteed to be a 400 footer. The Thompson Hotel & Residences ended up being much taller than we thought because of that reason. I remember the first height we were hearing was 273 feet with 19 floors, but as soon as we saw the elevations, they showed it as 314 feet with 20 floors. I don't know that the increase would be that much with this building, but it would probably be enough to put it over 400 feet by a few feet.

Good to know, here's hoping on the 400'+. Speaking of the Thompson, what are your thoughts on the building? There are elements I really like and others not so much (mainly the southside elevation with the huge blank walk and sliver windows).

ahealy Nov 21, 2020 3:32 PM

Good lord I need a render! Hoping and praying for a spire of some kind or something that compliments Tower Life :D

I'm such a broken record with my pointy architectural obsession.

JACKinBeantown Nov 21, 2020 4:30 PM

I hope the redesign is an improvement because the one we saw was dark, bland and boring.

I did like its height of course, and the fact that it wasn't all glass. I like to be able to see each floor in a tall building because that accentuates the visual perception of its height. But otherwise there wasn't much to like about it. It looked like a 32-story prison.