SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

somethingfast Feb 17, 2018 5:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Belt (Post 8089312)
This is the #1 reason why Phoenix doesn't have a tall downtown. There is no need for it [yet] due to things like cheap land everywhere.

Besides a downtown with one huge building looks terrible -- I'm looking at you OKC.

That's a matter of taste, man. I drove through down OKC and the Devon tower makes a tremendous impression on the skyline both up-close and from a distance. Phoenix doesn't have the density of a Vancouver or San Diego to get away from the comparison disadvantage.

somethingfast Feb 17, 2018 5:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX-DUDE-MAN (Post 8089021)
But good Lord, can't we just get 400' on something??

Agreed, man. Yes, I'm bitching here but I'd gladly take a 3rd tallest...just tired of 250 to 300' buildings being mistaken for "towers". Let's reach a little higher than that is all I'm saying? Hell, put a friggin spire/crown element on something and just get to a structural new tallest...does anyone also think that's "stupid"?

soleri Feb 17, 2018 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 8089354)
Agreed, man. Yes, I'm bitching here but I'd gladly take a 3rd tallest...just tired of 250 to 300' buildings being mistaken for "towers". Let's reach a little higher than that is all I'm saying? Hell, put a friggin spire/crown element on something and just get to a structural new tallest...does anyone also think that's "stupid"?

Yes, I do. Developers and their bankers and not in the business of pleasing adolescent males and their priapic dreams. They don't sit around talking about making a killer skyline in a second-tier city so the citizens can brag about it to the in-laws. That's not the nature of their business nor should it be. The current boom is getting long in the tooth, so you'll probably have to wait until you're middle-aged before the next opportunity comes. My advice: don't lose sleep over it.

fawd Feb 17, 2018 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 8089354)
Hell, put a friggin spire/crown element on something and just get to a structural new tallest...does anyone also think that's "stupid"?

Yeah. That’s stupid.

somethingfast Feb 17, 2018 8:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soleri (Post 8089445)
Yes, I do. Developers and their bankers and not in the business of pleasing adolescent males and their priapic dreams. They don't sit around talking about making a killer skyline in a second-tier city so the citizens can brag about it to the in-laws. That's not the nature of their business nor should it be. The current boom is getting long in the tooth, so you'll probably have to wait until you're middle-aged before the next opportunity comes. My advice: don't lose sleep over it.

Congrats for making this a personal attack. I don't resort to personal attacks. Agree to disagree. You think I'm 13? Lol, okay, maybe not a bad thing. Anyway, EVERY Chinese developer is transposing his penile envy dreams onto his ever-higher skyscraper designs. So, yeah, you're wrong. Our own President reaches as high as he economically can as a developer. So, yeah, you're wrong. Value-engineering (Phoenix's specialty) is why we keep getting a regression to our meager mean. So stuff it man.

somethingfast Feb 17, 2018 8:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 8089449)
Yeah. That’s stupid.

Oh hey, yeah, you're right. My bad. Stupid Empire State Building. Stupid spire on NYC's "structural" tallest in the nation. So dumb.

Obadno Feb 17, 2018 8:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 8089347)
Yes, I was born in Tucson and lived there many years. Lived in Houston, Northern Virginia, Minneapolis, and Phoenix. I have many reference points and only Tucson is less-accomplished overall than Phoenix in the area of hi-rise density/height to population ratio.

Nothing in the dc area goes above 15 stories it’s a. Example of exactly why tall buildings are uneccesary for a dense urban environment and Huston is a great example of downtowns that are tall but not lively

ASU Diablo Feb 17, 2018 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 8089463)
Congrats for making this a personal attack. I don't resort to personal attacks. Agree to disagree. You think I'm 13? Lol, okay, maybe not a bad thing. Anyway, EVERY Chinese developer is transposing his penile envy dreams onto his ever-higher skyscraper designs. So, yeah, you're wrong. Our own President reaches as high as he economically can as a developer. So, yeah, you're wrong. Value-engineering (Phoenix's specialty) is why we keep getting a regression to our meager mean. So stuff it man.

You’re definitely acting like one now...

fawd Feb 17, 2018 9:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 8089465)
Oh hey, yeah, you're right. My bad. Stupid Empire State Building. Stupid spire on NYC's "structural" tallest in the nation. So dumb.

All good!! We all get ahead of ourselves sometimes. :cheers:

somethingfast Feb 17, 2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8089491)
Nothing in the dc area goes above 15 stories it’s a. Example of exactly why tall buildings are uneccesary for a dense urban environment and Huston is a great example of downtowns that are tall but not lively

You don't know what you're talking about. All buildings INSIDE the District must be no taller than half the height of the Washington Monument (555') so divide it by two and that's your max height. Has nothing to do with floor count.

OUTSIDE of DC, there are plenty of 25+ buildings in the Rosslyn/Arlington area and Tyson's Corner and Reston Town Center. All of those areas have buildings now over 400' or will have them soon. A 600'+ is planned for Tyson's.

combusean Feb 17, 2018 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8088824)
it seriously gets old lamenting the lack of 600' buildings downtown.

The market is not there for the margins these structures require, even if the airport wasn't an issue.

I *really* don't really feel like rehashing this conversation.

This conversation is getting hostile and offtopic and needs to stop.

haux Feb 18, 2018 1:20 AM

Stewart progress. The first photo I took on May 6, before there had been much, if any, visible construction. The second was taken a few minutes ago.

https://i.imgur.com/VBH5sVf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZOneKpA.jpg

They're taken with the same camera, lens and focal length. The angle is slightly different to show the construction work. My view of downtown is slowly being blocked. Oh well.

I think as it grows, I'll try to get more of the same shot to compare.

fawd Feb 18, 2018 1:41 AM

Great update pics!

biggus diggus Feb 18, 2018 2:03 AM

Didn't realize it was so important to people what decisions strangers made in spending their money.

combusean Feb 18, 2018 4:32 AM

So what's the north side of Stewart supposed to look like?

We talked about whether it would be possible for that one-story commercial block to redevelop, looks almost like it could.

FitnessPower Feb 18, 2018 3:16 PM

I don't know if I buy "the market isn't there for a new tallest" arguement... Hell Albuquerque, NM is getting a new tallest and Phx is light years ahead of that town.
Got my fingers crossed for central station hitting at least 550 though... along with more density the other projects are bringing would be a lot more respectable!

SunDevil Feb 19, 2018 2:39 AM

Just something to think about. The Empire State Building was the tallest in NYC for about 40 years.

somethingfast Feb 19, 2018 8:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunDevil (Post 8090439)
Just something to think about. The Empire State Building was the tallest in NYC for about 40 years.

^^ with all due respect to the moderator and contributors, the prior two posts prove my point. Albuturkey and NYC with ESB. ABQ getting a new tallest while Phoenix dicks around with mid-risers....enough said. And the ESB stayed the tallest for 40 years bc it was nearly twice the height of the next tallest when you include the spire - they went bolder than the market average and it set the bar. Phoenix's very name suggests ascension...not regression to some "market-driven" mean. i'm happy with all the new construction but, come on, does anybody really believe that 483' is the bar by which all others should bow for another 40 years???

biggus diggus Feb 19, 2018 8:33 PM

You don't seem to understand that private money dictates what's built, the City government doesn't call the shots. This isn't Sim City. If the market won't encourage someone to build something then it won't be built.

fawd Feb 19, 2018 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8091100)
You don't seem to understand that private money dictates what's built, the City government doesn't call the shots. This isn't Sim City. If the market won't encourage someone to build something then it won't be built.

There really isn't a point in trying to debate him. We all agree that is would be super-duper to have the Empire State Building in Phoenix. Great! Now let's shelve this conversation (again) and move on.

:cheers: