SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Phxguy Sep 18, 2014 10:20 PM

Good news for all you alcoholics, Mother Brunch Brewery is officially open!

PHXFlyer11 Sep 18, 2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 6735185)
Good news for all you alcoholics, Mother Brunch Brewery is officially open!

A quick Google search didn't give me anything relevant, can you kindly remind me where this is located again?

Jjs5056 Sep 19, 2014 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 6735253)
A quick Google search didn't give me anything relevant, can you kindly remind me where this is located again?

Unfortunately, on the east side of 7th street in the restored Bayless building where Crossfit once was. IOW, completely unwalkable to other establishments except perhaps the Heritage Square bars if you're a risk-taker. And, thanks to the constant tare-downs along 7th, it won't ever become part of any walkable environment unfortunately. Would've been great had the buildings between there and Roosevelt been restored as was the plan before Circle K came in and bulldozed away half the structures.

If a brewery doesn't re-open on 1st St/Buchanan in my lifetime, I'll lose it!

nickw252 Sep 19, 2014 3:29 AM

Proposed Renderings for Central and McDowell

http://i60.tinypic.com/20v0qjb.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/2qmzsee.jpg

Phxguy Sep 19, 2014 3:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeway (Post 6734773)
The 3rd Avenue project is already under construction. That site has been active for some time. I highly doubt Union is going anywhere. For such a small project, it honestly is taking forever.

Do you have any photos?

I feel this thread needs a good ole photo update so we can all be updated (and rejuvenated) on what's under construction currently. Has anyone checked on the Dupont Circle apartments, 12th/Washington apartments, Hotel Monroe, Lexington Hotel, or Luhrs Hotel? What about the Cancer Center and Law School?

PHXFlyer11 Sep 19, 2014 3:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 6735598)

Ok, I wish these were taller by 3 stories, but much better this go-round. I like the part that seems to jet out over the intersection. Prolly a gym for residents, lol.

Freeway Sep 19, 2014 4:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 6735610)
Do you have any photos?

I feel this thread needs a good ole photo update so we can all be updated (and rejuvenated) on what's under construction currently. Has anyone checked on the Dupont Circle apartments, 12th/Washington apartments, Hotel Monroe, Lexington Hotel, or Luhrs Hotel? What about the Cancer Center and Law School?

I'll take some tomorrow of what's under construction.

Jjs5056 Sep 19, 2014 4:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 6735610)
Do you have any photos?

Great idea. I would certainly appreciate the updates and it seems there are duplicate questions/news being posted being quite often.

Here is a consolidated list of projects I believe are open; please feel free to add and update the status. If anybody can grab photos, that would be fantastic.

HOTEL
Under Construction
Lexington Hotel @Portland/Central: Habitat Metro; Interior demolition
Monroe Hilton Garden Inn @Monroe/Central: CSM; Approved site plan
Dual-Branded Marriott Hotel @Madison/Central: Hansji Urban; Interior demolition

RESIDENTIAL
Under Construction
Highland Apartments @Highland/Central: Vedura; Under construction
Dupont Circle Apartments @Washington/44th St: Equity Residential; Under Construction
Townhomes on 3rd @McKinley/3rd Ave: MetroWest; Freeway? How much work has been done?
2nd Avenue Project @Fillmore/2nd Ave: MetroWest; 2 restored historic homes completed; awaiting the development of a third lot into a single-family residence
Capital Place @Washington/12th St & 11th St: Epoch; Are these under construction?

Pre-Construction
Union @Roosevelt/1st Ave: MetroWest; Pre-construction Meetings/Prep Work
@McKinley/4th St: Tilton Developments; Are the SoRo galleries still standing?
The Muse @McDowell/Central: Lennar; Design Review

Unknown/Initial Planning
artHAUS @McDowell/1st Ave
Broadstone Central @Osborn/Central: Alliance Residential
Portland on the Park @Portland/Central: Habitat Metro/Sunbelt
Edison on Central @Lewis/Central: Deco Communities
Central Station @Van Buren/Central: SmithGroupJJR
Barrister Block @Jefferson/Central: PB Bell/DAVIS
@Wiletta/Central #1 (Old Spaghetti Factory South)
@Wiletta/Central #2 (CVS Parking Lot)

Likely Dead
Ballpark Apartments @Buchanan/3rd St: Granite Developments; DOA?
The Row on 2nd @Roosevelt/2nd St: Roosevelt Housing Assocation; DOA?

OTHER:
Complete
Arizona Center Remodel @Van Buren/3rd St: Rouser; Complete

Under Construction
Cancer Center @Fillmore/7th St: UofA; Under construction
DeSoto Marketplace @Roosevelt/Central: Habitat Metro; Accepting leases/gathering licenses
Roosevelt Streetscape @Roosevelt/Central-3rd St: Under construction

Pre-Construction
Live/Work @Portland/1st St: Design review
The Grand at Papago @Priest/Washington: Canal improvements underway
10-Story Biomedical Building (ABC II?) @Van Buren/Central

Jjs5056 Sep 19, 2014 4:54 AM

Quote:

Thank you for posting these. Do you know how much retail is included? I see a "coffee" sign - is that the only space? I posted the site plan, which is no help.

Overall, could be much worse, but pretty disappointing for the gateway into the Midtown Museum District. The height is fine for the part adjacent to 1st Ave as a buffer, but the main building at the intersection should be at least twice the size. I do like the glass feature at the corner, and wish the developers cared enough about the site of the project to incorporate a public gallery into that space that is illuminated at night. A prominent art piece at the intersection would also be fitting. These would be a beautiful tie-in and welcome to the neighborhood. It's also horrible urban design to not have an entrance to the apartments or to a retail store at that intersection- landscaping... really?

The parking lot off Central is simply inexcusable. Parking should be accessed via an alleyway off 1st Avenue, or off 1st Avenue in the worst case. If parking is needed for the leasing center and/or retail, they have plenty of space to widen the sidewalks and incorporate parallel parking into the project. I hope they are not able to move forward with such a glaringly auto-centric project with height that isn't compatible to such a key location.

Freeway Sep 19, 2014 4:58 AM

Quote:

This would not fly at a premier intersection in any other major American city but here. This reminds me of the new urbanist Targets with parking underneath the store. That protrusion on the corner is absolutely horrid.

http://gen3construction.com/wp-conte...latedfoam3.png

Would it also hurt to plant trees that provide actual shade? I know, I know, we're in a desert. However, you will NEVER get true pedestrian activity during daylight hours here without shade. Would it kill the city to bend the rules and plant a row of ficus like Mill Avenue in Tempe? The trees there do so much for pedestrian friendliness. Sissoo and Texas Ash just don't cut it.

This proposal is a true reflection of the current state of the real estate market here. Poor.

This would be fitting for Avondale or Queen Creek.

The mediocrity continues....

dtnphx Sep 19, 2014 5:51 PM

What sucks is that it follows the same model of most every internal parking structure surrounded by 3-4 floor apartments project going up all across Phoenix. The modernist take on a few of the design elements still don't cover up what it is: A suburban apartment project. However, if it means this lot would remain empty for another 20 f**king years rather than have this, I would choose this.

azsunsurfer Sep 19, 2014 5:56 PM

Great idea. I would certainly appreciate the updates and it seems there are duplicate questions/news being posted being quite often.

Here is a consolidated list of projects I believe are open; please feel free to add and update the status. If anybody can grab photos, that would be fantastic.

HOTEL
Under Construction
Lexington Hotel @Portland/Central: Habitat Metro; Interior demolition
Monroe Hilton Garden Inn @Monroe/Central: CSM; Approved site plan
Luhrs Hotel @Madison/Central: Hansji Urban; Interior demolition

RESIDENTIAL
Under Construction
Highland Apartments @Highland/Central: Vedura; Under construction
Dupont Circle Apartments @Washington/44th St: Equity Residential; Under Construction
Townhomes on 3rd @McKinley/3rd Ave: MetroWest; Freeway? How much work has been done?
2nd Avenue Project @Fillmore/2nd Ave: MetroWest; 2 restored historic homes completed; awaiting the development of a third lot into a single-family residence
Capital Place @Washington/12th St & 11th St: Epoch; Are these under construction?

Pre-Construction
Union @Roosevelt/1st Ave: MetroWest; Pre-construction Meetings/Prep Work
@McKinley/4th St: Tilton Developments; Are the SoRo galleries still standing?
The Muse @McDowell/Central: Lennar; Design Review

Unknown/Initial Planning
artHAUS @McDowell/1st Ave
Broadstone Central @Osborn/Central: Alliance Residential
Portland on the Park @Portland/Central: Habitat Metro/Sunbelt
Edison on Central @Lewis/Central: Deco Communities
Central Station @Van Buren/Central: SmithGroupJJR
Barrister Block @Jefferson/Central: PB Bell/DAVIS
@Wiletta/Central #1 (Old Spaghetti Factory South)
@Wiletta/Central #2 (CVS Parking Lot)

Likely Dead
Ballpark Apartments @Buchanan/3rd St: Granite Developments; DOA?
The Row on 2nd @Roosevelt/2nd St: Roosevelt Housing Assocation; DOA?

OTHER:
Complete
Arizona Center Remodel @Van Buren/3rd St: Rouser; Complete

Under Construction
Cancer Center @Fillmore/7th St: UofA; Under construction
DeSoto Marketplace @Roosevelt/Central: Habitat Metro; Accepting leases/gathering licenses
Roosevelt Streetscape @Roosevelt/Central-3rd St: Under construction

Pre-Construction
Live/Work @Portland/1st St: Design review
The Grand at Papago @Priest/Washington: Canal improvements underway
10-Story Biomedical Building (ABC II?) @Van Buren/Central

You failed to mention a few projects, this is not a complete list....

The PB Bell project at 12th Street and Highland has started construction. 5 story appartment project.

The SWC of Camelback and 44th St. Last I recalled is that the parking structure was being built.

I know there was another project breaking ground in Arcadia. The name of these projects escape me right now.

Jackdavis4 Sep 19, 2014 6:41 PM

Park 28 by Evergreen Development

So when you refer to the Luhrs Hotel is that the 19 story Marriot?

Jjs5056 Sep 19, 2014 7:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 6736388)

You failed to mention a few projects, this is not a complete list....

The PB Bell project at 12th Street and Highland has started construction. 5 story appartment project.

The SWC of Camelback and 44th St. Last I recalled is that the parking structure was being built.

I know there was another project breaking ground in Arcadia. The name of these projects escape me right now.

Thanks. I'm aware it isn't a complete list, which is why I asked for updates and status reports. Just thought an initial list would be helpful. :shrug:

Jjs5056 Sep 19, 2014 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackdavis4 (Post 6736468)
Park 28 by Evergreen Development

So when you refer to the Luhrs Hotel is that the 19 story Marriot?

Yes. I can correct the name in the original post to reflect that it's a dual-branded Marriott.

dtnphx Sep 19, 2014 10:24 PM

Phoenix approves plans for condos, hotel next to Kierland

The Phoenix City Council approved plans this week for a 660-unit condominium development and 234-room hotel next to Kierland Commons.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...8&t=1411165415

nickw252 Sep 20, 2014 5:29 PM

Mobile Mini moving headquarters from Tempe to Phoenix

This isn't huge news in the scheme of urban development, but still good news - a publicly traded company moving their headquarters from a suburban office park in Tempe to a less suburban and more centrally located area of Phoenix along the light rail (46th St. and Van Buren). This is also right by the apartment building that's going up at 44th St. and Van Buren.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-tempe-to.html

Quote:

Mobile Mini Inc. is moving its corporate headquarters from Tempe to Phoenix.

Phoenix City Councilwoman Kate Gallego announced the portable storage unit company’s relocation of its home offices to 46th and Van Buren streets just north of Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. The company is currently located in Tempe at Kyrene and Elliot Roads.

Gallego, whose council district includes the area, said Mobile Mini will occupy 60,000 square feet for its corporate offices and a call center.

Mobile Mini already has 300 employees in the Valley and wants to hire another 150. The company rents out storage units used by businesses and consumers.

CEO Erik Olsson credited Gallego and city staff for helping with the relocation from Tempe.

“We are pleased to increase our commitment to the Phoenix metro area,” Olsson said in a statement.

PHX31 Sep 21, 2014 4:21 PM

http://www.azcentral.com/story/life/...inch/15924323/

This is actually a pretty interesting and good article on azcentral about the MCM classic Phoenix financial center/ punchcard building.

They mention the architects are working on a 5-story multifamily building in Phoenix. Anyone know which one they are referring to?

KEVINphx Sep 21, 2014 7:01 PM

I don't know - but there is an apartment building going up at 16th Street and Georgia on the southeast corner - the parking structure is already up and it's about 5-6 levels. I haven't seen any discussion here about this project and didn't find much online by a simple google search.

Also - the project referenced above by PB Bell is at 16th Street and Highland - not 12th street.

Jjs5056 Sep 21, 2014 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 6738159)
http://www.azcentral.com/story/life/...inch/15924323/

This is actually a pretty interesting and good article on azcentral about the MCM classic Phoenix financial center/ punchcard building.

They mention the architects are working on a 5-story multifamily building in Phoenix. Anyone know which one they are referring to?

Nice article. I'm glad one of the rotundas will be reactivated and hope the art gallery will be open to the public/host events. Sounds like a great space.

Midtown would be a greater place if each highrise was built similarly: as the article called it, on the human scale, with the rotundas, and the city scale, with the tower.

It'd be nice if One Lexington one day revitalized their plans to expand and fill in the nearby area with additional towers. Speaking of, I am always surprised how quickly they sold out the condos but have never been able to lease any of their retail... they mentioned restaurants and such back in the day signing leases, but since then - nada. That area could use some more of the great food scene that's popped up in parts of Midtown.